• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Bengals at Dolphins

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Very telling of the apathy with the currently constructed Bengals as I create the game thread minutes into the third quarter. Randy Bullock has looked good so far...oh, and we about to lock up the #1 overall pick.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s amazing that people think this team is a pass rusher away from the playoffs.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We scored more than 20 today. Big day for the boys.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh oh.... We just picked up an onsides kick.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh crap. I can't believe what I am watching.

Gypsumstack

Hoopla Cash
$ 945.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s amazing that people think this team is a pass rusher away from the playoffs.

The Bengals aren't making the playoffs if they draft Young, and they sure as shit aren't going if they draft Burrow either. The difference is, Young could help swing a game or two given the talent he has around him on the D-line, whereas Burrow is screwed without an offensive line.

In a perfect world, there would be a can't miss offensive lineman or linebacker sitting there at the top of the draft this year for the Bengals to take, but there isn't. I just think there is too much downside to taking a QB #1 with the state of the team. If they don't want to draft Young, fine, then trade the #1 pick and get more picks to plug the many holes we have.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is such a lousy franchise.... They can't even tank correctly.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A tie would get the job done.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The most clutch performance of Dalton's career...

Comes against a 3-11 team in a game the Bengals need to lose

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was such a Bengal thing to do... What a team.

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I almost fell asleep in the second half. Woke the fuck up when we got the onside kick. About had a heart attack when Crazy Legs Dalton ran in the tying 2 pt conversion. And then...relief as the kick went through the uprights with :00 on the clock.

BurrowDeep2Chase

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was the most important game for the Bengals franchise this century.

BurrowDeep2Chase

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bengals aren't making the playoffs if they draft Young, and they sure as shit aren't going if they draft Burrow either. The difference is, Young could help swing a game or two given the talent he has around him on the D-line, whereas Burrow is screwed without an offensive line.

In a perfect world, there would be a can't miss offensive lineman or linebacker sitting there at the top of the draft this year for the Bengals to take, but there isn't. I just think there is too much downside to taking a QB #1 with the state of the team. If they don't want to draft Young, fine, then trade the #1 pick and get more picks to plug the many holes we have.

So many people argued trade Burrow for the draft picks. The Dolphins had all the draft picks and they are sitting at 1-6 two years later.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many people argued trade Burrow for the draft picks. The Dolphins had all the draft picks and they are sitting at 1-6 two years later.
When you have a chance at a true Franchise QB - you don't trade that opportunity away for picks. While I could understand some of the reasoning, Burrow was THE CLEAR #1 QB in that draft.

I've never been a fan of Tua. My biggest issue was that he has been hurt every full season he's played in. He also is not "elite" in any one category. Decent arm. Good Mobility. OK pre-snap reads/mentality. Burrow has an elite approach to the game. His head/mentality is like Manning/Montana. His arm is above average, but not elite, and despite the knee, he moves well in the pocket. He's above average in everything, but his awareness is elite. His pre-snap reads are elite. His mentality is elite.

Also, clearly a new/updated screen name - so who was this before? What was your original screen name?

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose someone could argue that the Bengals could have traded the first rounder with Miami for Miami's three first rounders. At 5 they take Justin Herbert, at 18 they take Justin Jefferson and at 26 they end up with a lineman.... I'll take Burrow, the bad season (last year) and Chase. If those two stay healthy, the sky is the limit for the next decade. It's truly a unique situation they are in.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose someone could argue that the Bengals could have traded the first rounder with Miami for Miami's three first rounders. At 5 they take Justin Herbert, at 18 they take Justin Jefferson and at 26 they end up with a lineman.... I'll take Burrow, the bad season (last year) and Chase. If those two stay healthy, the sky is the limit for the next decade. It's truly a unique situation they are in.
Yeah, you win a few more games last year, and maybe you don't get Chase.

I mean, it's the trickledown effect where you have to realize that making one move doesn't exist in a vacuum. They trade down, get a OL, get Herbert, and maybe Herbert doesn't do as well here. Maybe he gets injured and doesn't rebound like Burrow. Maybe they win a few games, and don't get Chase. How does this team look now? Who replaces Chase's production this year?

It worked out for the Bengals in multiple ways - now, they have to do what the did not do in the Palmer or Dalton Era - Improve the team around them with solid F/A additions to fill holes. Draft, for sure, but don't rely on 1st and 2nd year guys to all hit the mark and make big impacts. Know where you are limited, and solidify those areas (OL). Don't double down on mistakes (Cedric O, Fisher) and be sure to re-sign those guys until you have replacements. Largely, though, continue to improve this team around Burrow (offensively and defensively) while you have this window of opportunity.

The Palmer/Dalton windows closed relatively quickly because of the teams inability to surround/retain talent. Lewis had to endure quick rebuilds - taking over in 2002 with the draft, and then looking to rebuild just 6 short years later. Then from 2011 - 2015, but then the downward spiral hit again. Just 5 short years, albeit of playoff football, but no wins and another rebuild. Don't waste years of Burrow's career rebuilding. Find the talent needed to keep the window open as long as Burrow has the ability to be a top level QB.