• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ben Simmons formally demands trade

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point is, it isn’t in the 6ers best interest to go scorched earth.

At some point they will have no choice but to take what they can get.

They would be incredibly stupid to let this play out for a season +

If all they can get is something like Marcus Morris a protected 1st and some change, then why bother? The trade has to at least improve the current roster, even if it doesn't get them something commensurate with Simmons talent. It makes no sense for them to just dump him at the absolutely lowest point of his value and there is no way that Morey will do that.

If he continues to be a problem with the team, you send him home. Go to the NBAPA and work out something with them. There is no way the NBAPA is on board with what Simmons is doing. It is going to push the owners into putting some pretty nasty language in the next CBA and they will have the public's support because of his antics.

Make it clear to Simmons that they would sooner let him sit at home for 4 years then simply give him away. IMO, the league would support this, the fans would support this and the players would support this. NO ONE is on Simmons side here, especially after his antics at practice.

Maybe Rich Paul can get through to him and make it clear that he isn't James Harden.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Sixers were going to sit and wait, the way to do it would have been to let him stay away and keep getting paid. Withholding his pay brings him back into the day to day of the team.

Simmons completely screwed up the optics with what he did in the last week. He confirmed to the world that he was not interested in earning his salary but wanted it anyway. That isn't a good look. They will likely send him home pretty soon but now Morey is going to have ZERO pressure to move him. Hell even the media will move on from him.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simmons completely screwed up the optics with what he did in the last week. He confirmed to the world that he was not interested in earning his salary but wanted it anyway. That isn't a good look. They will likely send him home pretty soon but now Morey is going to have ZERO pressure to move him. Hell even the media will move on from him.

Let me know how that is in may when you waste another year of embiids prime.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If all they can get is something like Marcus Morris a protected 1st and some change, then why bother? The trade has to at least improve the current roster, even if it doesn't get them something commensurate with Simmons talent. It makes no sense for them to just dump him at the absolutely lowest point of his value and there is no way that Morey will do that.

If he continues to be a problem with the team, you send him home. Go to the NBAPA and work out something with them. There is no way the NBAPA is on board with what Simmons is doing. It is going to push the owners into putting some pretty nasty language in the next CBA and they will have the public's support because of his antics.

Make it clear to Simmons that they would sooner let him sit at home for 4 years then simply give him away. IMO, the league would support this, the fans would support this and the players would support this. NO ONE is on Simmons side here, especially after his antics at practice.

Maybe Rich Paul can get through to him and make it clear that he isn't James Harden.

The problem is that the harden move is shown to work. So why wouldn’t he do it

As long as he’s showing up and doing the bare minimum there isn’t much anyone can do.

The sixers acted in bad faith over the summer

They didn’t have doc or embiid backtrack (embiid continues to make it worse by talking about it)

And after turning down brogdan levert and picks it’s hard to feel bad for them at all. They could’ve had like 4 firsts to throw in a beal trade plus joe, maxey, reed

It would’ve been a real path forward

Now? They deserve this

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on the Ben optics. But does he care? This is the same guy who:
1. Quit on his team after an NIT berth acting like a draft eligible player opting out of a bowl game.
2. Extended the injury time his real rookie of the year so that he could compete for ROTY.
3. The whole world is criticizing him for not shooting and he does nothing to incorporate that into his real game.

This kid is a princess who has had smoke pumped up his ass from 15 on. He seems to be immune to what the public says and what the optics are. He just doesn’t give a fuck. And in many ways, the Sixers emboldened this by coddling him. His best chance is a change of scenery and his new team laying down the law from the jump. Sixers are in no position to do that now.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I’ve said all off season, the Sixers can exit in the 2nd round and fall short of their goals with Ben Simmons/ with out Ben Simmons/ or with a subpar trade of Simmons for spare parts.

The only thing that will change this reality is if the Sixers can turn Ben into useful assets that pair well with Embiid’s game.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As long as he’s showing up and doing the bare minimum there isn’t much anyone can do.

They didn’t have doc or embiid backtrack (embiid continues to make it worse by talking about it)

And after turning down brogdan levert and picks it’s hard to feel bad for them at all. They could’ve had like 4 firsts to throw in a beal trade plus joe, maxey, reed

Now? They deserve this
Part of the Harden equation is that he really is an elite player that most every franchise would welcome on to their roster. Ben Simmons is a risky projection to begin with. This all makes him more risky.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now? They deserve this

A lot to unpack here.

The Harden move worked for Harden because A) He's an MVP level player and B) He only had 1 year left on his contract. Teams came knocking on the door offering a bunch of players.

It is absolutely ridiculous to claim that the Sixers acted in bad faith. You want to say that they mishandled things? Sure. I guess. But at some point we have to stop treating these athletes like children. Ben Simmons is taking petulance to almost toddler levels here. He made a decision that he didn't care whether he hurt his trade value, he was going to burn it all down and just assume that the Sixers would fold. That was a terrible decision by him.

I don't think anyone should feel bad for the Sixers. Morey is one of the shrewdist GMs in the league. He's going to play hard ball until he gets the best deal he can. Of course he wants Simmons to get back on the court so the other teams can forget the Hawks series but clearly Simmons petulance won't let that happen.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Getting future 1sts and journeyman doesn't improve the team's chances this year. Or next year.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on the Ben optics. But does he care? This is the same guy who:
1. Quit on his team after an NIT berth acting like a draft eligible player opting out of a bowl game.
2. Extended the injury time his real rookie of the year so that he could compete for ROTY.
3. The whole world is criticizing him for not shooting and he does nothing to incorporate that into his real game.

I suspect he doesn't care. Although really point No. 2 seems kinda nit picky. The team didn't want him to play in his rookie season so they could maximize their ping pong ball chances.

Ultimately, it's possible that he just doesn't care about playing basketball and he just wants the money. And if that is the case then he probably would be better off in the wilderness of Orlando or Minnesota than on a title contending team.

This kid is a princess who has had smoke pumped up his ass from 15 on. He seems to be immune to what the public says and what the optics are. He just doesn’t give a fuck. And in many ways, the Sixers emboldened this by coddling him. His best chance is a change of scenery and his new team laying down the law from the jump. Sixers are in no position to do that now.

Well we are where we are. Can't change how we got here. IMO, Morey has no choice but to play hardball. If Simmons winds up sitting out the entire season, so be it. The Sixers will file a grievance with the NBAPA and go from there. But, as I said, I really don't think the NBAPA is going to be keen on defending Simmons.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot to unpack here.

The Harden move worked for Harden because A) He's an MVP level player and B) He only had 1 year left on his contract. Teams came knocking on the door offering a bunch of players.

It is absolutely ridiculous to claim that the Sixers acted in bad faith. You want to say that they mishandled things? Sure. I guess. But at some point we have to stop treating these athletes like children. Ben Simmons is taking petulance to almost toddler levels here. He made a decision that he didn't care whether he hurt his trade value, he was going to burn it all down and just assume that the Sixers would fold. That was a terrible decision by him.

I don't think anyone should feel bad for the Sixers. Morey is one of the shrewdist GMs in the league. He's going to play hard ball until he gets the best deal he can. Of course he wants Simmons to get back on the court so the other teams can forget the Hawks series but clearly Simmons petulance won't let that happen.

They claimed to try and trade him and then asked for more than harden went for

Laughable

Borderline beyond bad faith

They asked for this as well. No one walked back their comments after the end of the year

Embiid continues to douse buckets of gasoline on the fire

Hopefully this ends in total disaster like the jimmy butler situation

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They claimed to try and trade him and then asked for more than harden went for

Laughable

Borderline beyond bad faith

They asked for this as well. No one walked back their comments after the end of the year

Embiid continues to douse buckets of gasoline on the fire

Hopefully this ends in total disaster like the jimmy butler situation

You might be the only person on the planet who is actually taking Ben Simmons side in this.

Of course you want it all to turn into a dumpster fire. Ironically enough, the Butler situation ended poorly because of Ben Simmons.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You post this like the Sixers are in the driver's seat on this...they aren't. From the look of it, the longer this drags out, the worse the offers get. In fact, I'm not sure there are even offers being made at this point. I can't think of any legit trade rumors in the last couple of weeks or so. Just a bunch of speculation about what could happen, most of which are borderline ridiculous.

Other GM's are shrewd too and they aren't going to offer up much for someone who doesn't appear to want to play and even if he did, seems to have no interest in improving his game.

The one trade out there that both makes sense and gives the Sixers a return of relatively equal value would be Ben for Kyrie. But then you're just trading one problem child for another.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting future 1sts and journeyman doesn't improve the team's chances this year. Or next year.
I agree. If that's the level of return they can expect for moving Simmons, then this year is just as "wasted" whether Simmons is traded or not.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might be the only person on the planet who is actually taking Ben Simmons side in this.

Of course you want it all to turn into a dumpster fire. Ironically enough, the Butler situation ended poorly because of Ben Simmons.
I am not saying Simmons didn't have a large part in it, but Butler has left 3 teams in bad circumstances now. At a certain point, he is just a dick.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the thing is---- at this point if i was another team- I dont know if i would even want him

At one point i was interested in the Cavs possibly acquiring him for a solid package.

Right now- with his attitude and how people said he kind of acted the same way on the national team- I am not sure i want him and that long term contract. At some point is it worth it now matter how talented he is?

Its not in Kyrie crazy territory yet- but its getting there.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe not this year, but they can clear cap space for next year by trading for future firsts and expiring deals. It would suck for this year, but unless something changes dramatically with Ben, not sure what they expect to be able to do.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don’t like what Simmons is doing.

I like what he’s doing to the sixers lol

(I meant butler getting out of Minnesota)

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not this year, but they can clear cap space for next year by trading for future firsts and expiring deals. It would suck for this year, but unless something changes dramatically with Ben, not sure what they expect to be able to do.

Yeah it’s incredibly shortsighted to not understand that getting aloud of picks and cheap players wouldn’t make it easier to eventually land a beal or Lavine type

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it’s incredibly shortsighted to not understand that getting aloud of picks and cheap players wouldn’t make it easier to eventually land a beal or Lavine type

Yep. If nothing else, with that cleared cap space and picks that have some value, they could go after FA's in the off-season. Heck, they might even be able to make trade during the season near the trade deadline when some teams might be looking to start a re-build.

The biggest problem, imo, is that this has gotten personal between Ben and the team. That means egos are now involved and that's never a good thing.