• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ben Simmons formally demands trade

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just not sure how that is possible. Ben wants out and now Lillard supposedly wants out...what team can trade for both? Even if Lillard stays in Portland, the only thing that makes sense is what we have talked about for awhile some sort of deal included CJ for Ben.

Cj and cov for Ben and some younger parts like a joe

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just not sure how that is possible. Ben wants out and now Lillard supposedly wants out...what team can trade for both? Even if Lillard stays in Portland, the only thing that makes sense is what we have talked about for awhile some sort of deal included CJ for Ben.
I think that would be the idea. Dame is basically saying go ahead and trade CJ for Ben

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that would be the idea. Dame is basically saying go ahead and trade CJ for Ben

Yup.

Gotta wonder why NO was so hesitant to break up those 2 when their lack of size and athleticism gave them a clear ceiling

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup.

Gotta wonder why NO was so hesitant to break up those 2 when their lack of size and athleticism gave them a clear ceiling
NO?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see how CJ makes the team that much better. And group of CJ with Maxey or Curry means that the Sixers backcourt is nothing more than a speed bump.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sources say the Trail Blazers, under Olshey, discussed the framework of a trade for Simmons, moving CJ McCollum, a first-round draft pick and a young player such as Nassir Little or Anfernee Simons to Philadelphia. The 76ers, sources said, at one point asked the Trail Blazers for McCollum and multiple draft picks and multiple draft swaps, which Portland rejected. Olshey maintained significant confidence in the roster he constructed. Now, it’s unclear if there’s a deal to be had with the 76ers. But with Olshey out, who among chair Jody Allen, vice chair Bert Kolde and Cronin would be the one making the call on a Simmons trade or any acquisition designed to alleviate Lillard’s concerns?

– via Shams Charania, Sam Amick, Shams Charania and Sam Amick @ The Athletic

Maybe since Olshey is gone they revisit this trade again. If Lillard is indeed unhappy, the Blazers will do whatever they can to make him happy.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In hindsight, the handling of the roster and the head coaching search process that led to Billups’ hire appear to have been miscalculations. The defensive struggles that led to Stotts’ dismissal have continued; the Blazers rank 30th in defensive rating.

They need defense badly, Simmons can provide just that. It won't fix all their problems but Lillard will for now be happy

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I mean, what is the relationship now between CJM and Dame moving forward?

If I'm Morey, I wait this out even longer and Dame might self combust if they keep losing.
Then make the trade for Dame.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I mean, what is the relationship now between CJM and Dame moving forward?

If I'm Morey, I wait this out even longer and Dame might self combust if they keep losing.
Then make the trade for Dame.

Simmons maxey joe and 2 firsts makes sense

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In hindsight, the handling of the roster and the head coaching search process that led to Billups’ hire appear to have been miscalculations. The defensive struggles that led to Stotts’ dismissal have continued; the Blazers rank 30th in defensive rating.

They need defense badly, Simmons can provide just that. It won't fix all their problems but Lillard will for now be happy

Simmons at the 3 and moving powell to the 2 really helps their defense

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see how CJ makes the team that much better. And group of CJ with Maxey or Curry means that the Sixers backcourt is nothing more than a speed bump.

CJ is a very good player.

When he plays without Lillard he looks like an all star.

CJ for Ben makes Philly a lot better even if it means you have to be smart about how you use CJ/Curry.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CJ is a very good player.

When he plays without Lillard he looks like an all star.

CJ for Ben makes Philly a lot better even if it means you have to be smart about how you use CJ/Curry.

Well that's the thing. How do CJ and Curry work together? It's not like Doc Rivers is some tactical genius.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that's the thing. How do CJ and Curry work together? It's not like Doc Rivers is some tactical genius.
You can't not trade Simmons. Think you're getting more than CJ? You could conceivably move Curry after perhaps for different piece

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't not trade Simmons. Think you're getting more than CJ? You could conceivably move Curry after perhaps for different piece

I have no idea what Simmons actual value is. Could be CJ. Could be less than CJ. Could be more.

But that isn't the point. The point is that McCollum creates as many problems as he solves. If we were keeping Simmons and trading other assets like Maxey and Curry I would be fine with that deal. But given that the other main guards on the team are all pretty small, the Sixers would be setting themselves up for an early playoff exit with that deal.

The Sixers don't need to trade Simmons just to trade him.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea what Simmons actual value is. Could be CJ. Could be less than CJ. Could be more.

But that isn't the point. The point is that McCollum creates as many problems as he solves. If we were keeping Simmons and trading other assets like Maxey and Curry I would be fine with that deal. But given that the other main guards on the team are all pretty small, the Sixers would be setting themselves up for an early playoff exit with that deal.

Then you keep making moves. Trade Maxey and Curry for a defensive minded wing. That's a better team than one with Simmons not playing, and CJ would be a good fit with Embiid

You really seem to think just wasting this year doing nothing with Simmons is your best move. I doubt it.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with your overall point but it's going to come to a point the 76ers are going to settle. Doesn't mean they have to settle for a piece that might not fit their current team but for example, look at what the Cavs settled for, a role Crowder, a small PG that was washed up and a draft pick. This is also when they still had the best player in the league, Lebron.
If CJ, a role player and a draft pick is the best offer they can get...you take it and run. It's not like Simmons' value is going up anytime soon and what teams actually would give up real value for Simmons. For all 76er fans lets hope they make the right choice and in a timely manner. I would be worried if Simmons isn't traded by the deadline but I assume he will.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don’t think we should be talking about Simmons being traded. That would mean he might have to get back on the court and thinking about that could put his mental health over the edge and there is no telling what he might do. We all have a responsibility here, can’t put too much pressure on this guy.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with your overall point but it's going to come to a point the 76ers are going to settle. Doesn't mean they have to settle for a piece that might not fit their current team but for example, look at what the Cavs settled for, a role Crowder, a small PG that was washed up and a draft pick. This is also when they still had the best player in the league, Lebron.

The Kyrie trade was a very different situation.

I agree that at some point they will likely need to settle on something considerably less than what they wanted. However, that doesn't mean they need to do it right now. A month ago, the market was dead for Simmons. Now there are 2 teams that could legitimately make a move that wouldn't a month ago. Portland and Sactown. A month from now, there could be a few more.

If CJ, a role player and a draft pick is the best offer they can get...you take it and run. It's not like Simmons' value is going up anytime soon and what teams actually would give up real value for Simmons. For all 76er fans lets hope they make the right choice and in a timely manner. I would be worried if Simmons isn't traded by the deadline but I assume he will.

I would expect that he is traded by the deadline. It's not that I think that CJ is a bad value. It's that he's a bad fit.