• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Beat this Fantasy Five

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like you said, it'd have to be a TEAM.

If those guys had never played together and never got to spend part of a season together, then yes a team that has been playing together forever and plays defense and offense as a TEAM could beat them.

With that said and not being able to use any of those players, I take the 2015 Warriors. They have a chance. They also have the advantage that in reality, each generation of basketball players is slightly better than the last. If you allow me to take one of your players, then I can name a few teams that I'm fairly confident could beat that team. For example, remove Jordan and replace him with any other player and I would put my $ down for the 1996 Bulls to beat that team in a 7 game series.

The best of example of this is the USA losing to Greece in the 2006 FIBA. And losing fairly soundly to a team where the best player is a marginal NBA player.

Of course, if your list of guys had time to practice, then it'd be all over for anybody, as it was when that team came back for the 2008 Olympics and demolished everybody.

If Lebron by himself, you know what I mean, got 2 wins against the Warriors. It would be a sweep with this team. The Warriors are far from some of the greatests teams ever constructed, let alone playing this team. No chance.

I see your point about team defense and team offense, but Lebron can play with anyone and so can Magic. Offensively, you have two best passing big men of all-time and some dominant scoring. Bogut and Green have no chance to defend those two guys or get rebounds really. Then you have Magic and Lebron distributing to MJ and the bigs. No one would even have chance at defending MJ in his prime if Lebron the 30 year old went off scoring 40 a game. The team defense does have a factor but 4 of these 5 guys argueably are and were some of the best 1-on-1 defensive players at their positions--Shaq, Timmy, MJ, and Bron. They would be unstoppable on offense and even if the team defense isnt good the 1-on-1 defense makes up for it.

Last edited:

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PG: Pippen
SG: Durant
SF: Bird
PF: Dirk
C: Hakeem

I want versatility and I think this lineup has that in spades. Defensively, you're not going to field a team that's just gonna match up 1 on 1 against the Fantasy Five lineup. But the downside to the Fantasy Five team is that they have no real outside shooting. Shaq, Tim, Lebron, MJ and Magic all did a lot of their work in the post. What are the other guys going to do when they don't have the ball?

Defensively I would just switch 1-3 and double team any post touch. If they beat you from outside, you live with it.

Offensively, this lineup would be a nightmare match up. Hakeem could work in the post, but he had a pretty good outside touch from a few feet out too. He could also try to get Shaq in foul trouble.

Dirk would pull Tim away from the hoop and create space for Hakeem to work.

You have shooting with Durant, Bird and Dirk. You have plus passing with Pippen, Bird and Hakeem. You have guys who can score inside and out. And you field an athletic team.

I wouldn't want to field a team of guys who I think could just match up 1 on 1. I want a team that can exploit the other team's deficiencies and create opportunities.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dirk and Hakeem at the 4 and 5 seem like givens. Dirk and Timmy battled year in and year out and Hakeem has battled Shaq to good results.

Big O
DWade
Durant
Dirk
Hakeem

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are the only 5 guys that could beat that team.

upload_2015-7-14_8-36-13.jpeg

images

"There's no stoppin what can't be stopped."

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you look at Jordan, Bron, Magic, Shaq, and Duncan... Ask yourself who is actually going to score on these 5 guys?

:nono:

Defensively those 5 are stupid good.

Those of you with Dirk at the 4 forget that he's a liability on D.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PG: Pippen
SG: Durant
SF: Bird
PF: Dirk
C: Hakeem

I want versatility and I think this lineup has that in spades. Defensively, you're not going to field a team that's just gonna match up 1 on 1 against the Fantasy Five lineup. But the downside to the Fantasy Five team is that they have no real outside shooting. Shaq, Tim, Lebron, MJ and Magic all did a lot of their work in the post. What are the other guys going to do when they don't have the ball?

Defensively I would just switch 1-3 and double team any post touch. If they beat you from outside, you live with it.

Offensively, this lineup would be a nightmare match up. Hakeem could work in the post, but he had a pretty good outside touch from a few feet out too. He could also try to get Shaq in foul trouble.

Dirk would pull Tim away from the hoop and create space for Hakeem to work.

You have shooting with Durant, Bird and Dirk. You have plus passing with Pippen, Bird and Hakeem. You have guys who can score inside and out. And you field an athletic team.

I wouldn't want to field a team of guys who I think could just match up 1 on 1. I want a team that can exploit the other team's deficiencies and create opportunities.

Magic and Lebron can create opportunities for everyone. MJ and Bron will get theirs and Shaq is best passing center of all-time. I could see that team putting up a fight but too many holes in that defense.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic and Lebron can create opportunities for everyone. MJ and Bron will get theirs and Shaq is best passing center of all-time. I could see that team putting up a fight but too many holes in that defense.

The flaw with the Fantasy lineup is that MJ, Magic and Lebron all need to operate with the ball in their hands. That's where each of them is at their best. They would struggle to find a place operating while one is dominating the ball. They don't have a lot of flexibility offensively because none of their perimeter players are great outside shooters. It creates problems with floor spacing when you have a guy like Shaq taking up all that real estate in the paint. Duncan is a bit more flexible since he can work at the high post too, but against this team, any opponent would simply pack the paint. Have to remember there's no more illegal D and zone defenses are allowed.

Defensively, I don't think there is a lineup that's going to go out there and stop any one of these guys individually. The holes in their individual could be negated by proper double teams, rotations and close outs. That's the reason in the lineup I chose was a 6'8" PG, 6'11" SG, and 6'9" SF.

The way you would beat this team is by causing mismatches. IMO.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those of you with Dirk at the 4 forget that he's a liability on D.
We have to pick somebody and Dirk being able to take Duncan and his defensive talent outside of the middle leaving just Shaq down low would be vital for any team.

The only real flaw of the 'Fantasy Five' team is that they only have one great 3pt shooter in Prime Lebron. If you have a guy like Dirk and employ hack a Shaq then you could legitimately beat the Fantasy Five on occasion.

Durant and Prime DWade also got the Jordan treatment with the refs so thats one reason I picked them. Much of this game would come down to who could get the other team to foul out.

The fantasy five would be unstoppable on offense, though. You'd have to lay off everyone shot just to stay home and protect against Shaq and Duncan down low. Lebon and Magic being able to guard almost any position makes them pretty invincible, too

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The flaw with the Fantasy lineup is that MJ, Magic and Lebron all need to operate with the ball in their hands. That's where each of them is at their best. They would struggle to find a place operating while one is dominating the ball. They don't have a lot of flexibility offensively because none of their perimeter players are great outside shooters. It creates problems with floor spacing when you have a guy like Shaq taking up all that real estate in the paint. Duncan is a bit more flexible since he can work at the high post too, but against this team, any opponent would simply pack the paint. Have to remember there's no more illegal D and zone defenses are allowed.

Defensively, I don't think there is a lineup that's going to go out there and stop any one of these guys individually. The holes in their individual could be negated by proper double teams, rotations and close outs. That's the reason in the lineup I chose was a 6'8" PG, 6'11" SG, and 6'9" SF.

The way you would beat this team is by causing mismatches. IMO.

MJ and Lebron while both being ball dominate were also great at playing off the ball. We saw a perfect example in Miami--Wade and Lebron. Magic could be the PG bc he is ultimately the best distributor. The fastbreak game would be unstoppable essentially. Dont even want to think about that.
Double teams? lol. This would be like an All-Star game, there would be no double teams. You cant double team bc you are leaving a great player open.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MJ and Lebron while both being ball dominate were also great at playing off the ball. We saw a perfect example in Miami--Wade and Lebron. Magic could be the PG bc he is ultimately the best distributor. The fastbreak game would be unstoppable essentially. Dont even want to think about that.
Double teams? lol. This would be like an All-Star game, there would be no double teams. You cant double team bc you are leaving a great player open.

I'm not saying my lineup is the best collection of players, just it's how and why I would construct the team. I would rather field a team that could exploit weaknesses of the other team in a 7 game series than just taking the next 5 best player at each of their position and letting them battle it out. I also look at the ways the players would interact with each other. If you're basing a team being able to beat Magic, MJ, Lebron, Duncan and Shaq based on their individual abilities, you're not going to be able to field one.

As for the double team, I think the only way you beat this team is by daring them to shoot from the outside. On the perimeter you don't double but any post touch you would definitely double. You can easily double, it's just depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying my lineup is the best collection of players, just it's how and why I would construct the team. I would rather field a team that could exploit weaknesses of the other team in a 7 game series than just taking the next 5 best player at each of their position and letting them battle it out. I also look at the ways the players would interact with each other. If you're basing a team being able to beat Magic, MJ, Lebron, Duncan and Shaq based on their individual abilities, you're not going to be able to field one.

As for the double team, I think the only way you beat this team is by daring them to shoot from the outside. On the perimeter you don't double but any post touch you would definitely double. You can easily double, it's just depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

Yeah, you can double in the post. But only Lebron or Magic. If you double Shaq or TD they are too good of passers and too skilled. If you find an open MJ or Lebron it doesnt mean its' a jumpshot, they are great slashers and finishers. Still if you leave MJ open for 20, it's over. And if you dont double Lebron in the post, it's over. It would be interesting to see, but really no telling what would happen. It's fun to think about though.

CodeBreaker

Dismember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see all these mesh problems people are talking about. Assuming they take an Olympic-type attitude and there are no alpha-dog struggles. There aren't spacing issues. The only shaky shooter for his position is Magic. The passing and defensive ability are exceptional, and you've got guys that can play off the ball. They would be freakish on the break, Shaq and Duncan shutting things down defensively, clearing the boards, and outletting to Magic, flanked by Mike and LeBron. Showtime on steroids baby!

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough.....but.....

G-Robertson
G-Drexler
F-Pippen
F-Olajuwon
C-KAJ

I like this team's chances.

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eazy peazy.

PG- Emmanuel Mudiay
SG- DeAngelo Russell
SF- Sam Dekker
PF- Kristaps Porzingis
C- Frank Kaminsky

Lets face it, as long as I have Frank, the other 4 don't matter.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PG- Kirk Hinrich
SG- Peja Stojakovich
SF- Wally Szczerbiak
PF- Tom Gugliotta
C- Gheorghe Muresan

frytening

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not enough shooting on this team. The only way you beat them is to build a team that shoots a tonne of 3s at a high rate.

CodeBreaker

Dismember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not enough shooting on this team. The only way you beat them is to build a team that shoots a tonne of 3s at a high rate.

Then what team? I guess you're disregarding this team's defense.