• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Beat this Fantasy Five

CodeBreaker

Dismember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Construct a team that can beat this Fantasy Five in a 7-game series. (All players in their prime.)

11667509_10206135048848504_6684983189622881703_n.jpg

* You're allowed to use any 5-player lineup without regard to position. For example, you can have 3 guards and 2 forwards.

* You CAN'T use any of the 5 players from the fantasy five.

* Saying that this team is unbeatable because they are arguably the best players in each position is invalid because super teams like Lakers '04, Heat '11, etc. were defeated by teams with non-superstar players that complement each other very well so use your knowledge in basketball, GO!

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's go with
Pg-Isaiah Thomas-great all around point and the one who did finally bring an end to Magic's laker dynasty.
Sg-Kobe Bryant-let's face it, there is no one who beats Jordan in a matchup, but Kobe's as close to Jordan as you are getting.
Sf-Larry bird. He never had Lebron's athleticism, but will shoot lights out given a millimeter. His intensity, desire to win also dwarf Lebron's; and the passing...
Pf-the mailman. He'll pull Duncan away from the hoop and can beat him with quickness. Slack off on him and he'll kill you with a mid range jumper.
C-the stilt. Scoring machine. Big and strong enough to challenge shaq. Far more athletic than Shaq. Send help on him and he is surrounded by teammates who all can hit their shot.

As most of these superstar matchup end up being, this would be one for the ages. You can make arguments both ways.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PG - Oscar
SG - Kobe
SF - Baylor
PF - Russell
C - Olajuwon

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You cant beat that 5. And I think it would work out. Magic and Lebron are both unselfish. All great defenders. Timmy and Shaq would be unstoppable and would play good together. Not a better lineup out there.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to beat that team when you have the #1 (Jordan)and #2 (Magic) player of all time, the best power forward of all time (duncan), the #1 or #2 small forward of all time (Lebron)...who could still end up being a top 4 player, and Shaq...not sure where you guys would place him among centers but not many players averaged 35 ppg in multiple finals series like Shaq did

I can probably construct a team around Jordan, Lebron, or Magic to beat that team, but to not include either of those guys I don't think there's a lineup that would beat that team without luck or injuries in a 7 game series

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like you said, it'd have to be a TEAM.

If those guys had never played together and never got to spend part of a season together, then yes a team that has been playing together forever and plays defense and offense as a TEAM could beat them.

With that said and not being able to use any of those players, I take the 2015 Warriors. They have a chance. They also have the advantage that in reality, each generation of basketball players is slightly better than the last. If you allow me to take one of your players, then I can name a few teams that I'm fairly confident could beat that team. For example, remove Jordan and replace him with any other player and I would put my $ down for the 1996 Bulls to beat that team in a 7 game series.

The best of example of this is the USA losing to Greece in the 2006 FIBA. And losing fairly soundly to a team where the best player is a marginal NBA player.

Of course, if your list of guys had time to practice, then it'd be all over for anybody, as it was when that team came back for the 2008 Olympics and demolished everybody.

Last edited:

CodeBreaker

Dismember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far, logic's line up has the biggest chance IMO

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PG The Answer
SG Black Mamba
SF Pip
PF Mailman
C The Dream

This team would put the Fantasy Five in foul trouble.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL First player I saw in that pic was Shaq. That cant be right!

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to cheat and use one of the players on the best fantasy five lineup. That player will be 88-89 Jordan

PG - Michael Jordan (32 ppg 8 reb 8 ast 2.9 stl)
SG - Ray Allen
SF - Kevin Durant
PF - Kevin Garnett
C - Hakeem Olajuwon

I'd have MJ run the point with Ray and Durant out there to stretch the floor. MJ, KG, and Hakeem are all DPOY caliber defenders. Ray, in my opinion, is the best shooter of all time and when called upon can also drop 25-30 pts or more. 88-89 MJ would run the offense and take on the scoring load when needed. 13-14 MVP Durant would stretch the floor and take on the scoring responsibility when needed.

KG will provide versatility with his ability to guard multiple positions, score in the post, score mid range, long 2s, and was one of the best passing power forwards to ever play the game. Hakeem would at the very least hold his own with Shaq and is a much much better rim protector than Shaq was. Hakeem was also an above average passer averaging 3.6 ast in his prime. He also hits fts while Shaq doesn't.

I think it'd be an interesting series. The best fantasy five team will have trouble with spacing on the offensive end. Duncan and Shaq will clog up the lanes. If MJ or Lebron starts taking over then I'd take them out of their rhythm with hack a Shaq. Everyone on my team can hit freethrows. Every player is also an above average passer. Lebron vs Durant is advantage Lebron of course but don't forget Durant still averaged 30 pg and shot 54 % in that finals series so he can definitely hold his own.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like you said, it'd have to be a TEAM.

If those guys had never played together and never got to spend part of a season together, then yes a team that has been playing together forever and plays defense and offense as a TEAM could beat them.

With that said and not being able to use any of those players, I take the 2015 Warriors. They have a chance. They also have the advantage that in reality, each generation of basketball players is slightly better than the last. If you allow me to take one of your players, then I can name a few teams that I'm fairly confident could beat that team. For example, remove Jordan and replace him with any other player and I would put my $ down for the 1996 Bulls to beat that team in a 7 game series.

The best of example of this is the USA losing to Greece in the 2006 FIBA. And losing fairly soundly to a team where the best player is a marginal NBA player.

Of course, if your list of guys had time to practice, then it'd be all over for anybody, as it was when that team came back for the 2008 Olympics and demolished everybody.

Totally get your point on team and the value of having chemistry, but we just saw the 2015 Warriors have some trouble against a one man Lebron team in the finals. This fantasy five I assume would have 2012 Lebron. MJ would lock down Steph. Prime Lebron would rattle Klay by the 2nd quarter of game 1. Shaq would foul out Bogut by the 3rd quarter. And if the Warriors go small they would pay with Duncan and Shaq all day.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally get your point on team and the value of having chemistry, but we just saw the 2015 Warriors have some trouble against a one man Lebron team in the finals. This fantasy five I assume would have 2012 Lebron. MJ would lock down Steph. Prime Lebron would rattle Klay by the 2nd quarter of game 1. Shaq would foul out Bogut by the 3rd quarter. And if the Warriors go small they would pay with Duncan and Shaq all day.

While the Cavs didn't really have that much talent, they still practiced and played together all year.

Teams run stuff like defensive schemes. Help defense is important. You have to know who is where. It's not all about one on one.

It would actually be an interesting question to ask an NBA player. Put together the 5 best NBA players who have never played together (i.e. you cannot have Durant and Westbrook), so let's say...

LeBron
Curry
Howard
Durant
Gasol

and have them never practice and see if they could beat an actual so-so to decent team who have played together, say the Wizards.

It would be interesting to ask LeBron or Phil Jackson (or any NBA player or coach) who would win that game.

I actually think the Wizards would win.

But once again, if your team from the OP practices, they are not beatable in a 7 game series. With the exception of Shaq, not only are all those guys the most talented, but they are also the guys who will do anything to win. So, you are not beating them.

Last edited:

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PG The Answer

Fail...

There was actually a funny story about Iverson where he said "Why pass the ball to my teammates and have them miss a shot with one person guarding them. I can do that with two or three people guarding me."

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the Cavs didn't really have that much talent, they still practiced and played together all year.

Teams run stuff like defensive schemes. Help defense is important. You have to know who is where. It's not all about one on one.

It would actually be an interesting question to ask an NBA player. Put together the 5 best NBA players who have never played together (i.e. you cannot have Durant and Westbrook), so let's say...

LeBron
Curry
Howard
Durant
Gasol

and have them never practice and see if they could beat an actual so-so to decent team who have played together, say the Wizards.

It would be interesting to ask LeBron or Phil Jackson (or any NBA player or coach) who would win that game.

I actually think the Wizards would win.

But once again, if your team from the OP practices, they are not beatable in a 7 game series. With the exception of Shaq, not only are all those guys the most talented, but they are also the guys who will do anything to win. So, you are not beating them.
Except that 3 of your 5 guys have practiced and played together as Team USA.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except that 3 of your 5 guys have practiced and played together as Team USA.

Oh yea. Then you cannot have that either then.

Since it's all hypothetical anyway, let's imagine they've never played together. Lol.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fail...

There was actually a funny story about Iverson where he said "Why pass the ball to my teammates and have them miss a shot with one person guarding them. I can do that with two or three people guarding me."

Pip will be running Point Forward. The Answer will be getting the Fantasy Team in major foul trouble

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fail...

Well, if you look at the teammates he had could you say he was wrong? It may be a completely different situation if he was playing with a dream, or even decent, lineup.