• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bears Have Planned Workouts With 6-7 Kickers

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018719/article/could-49ers-kicker-robbie-gould-return-to-bears

Reading this makes me wonder. Since I am not a bears fan I dont know the history.

Why would they get rid of Gould as a kicker. Was he that much over priced or something.
the Article says he is 72 of 75 for the niners. For this day & age of the Kickers where they all seem to be missing with regularity. What is the scoop group?
If memory serves, Bears had given him a pretty high contract for a kicker, and he followed that up (not sure if it was the immediate season or the next) with his worst season as a Bear. Cost the Bears at least a couple games that year. @richig07 prolly could tell it more accurately.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018719/article/could-49ers-kicker-robbie-gould-return-to-bears

Reading this makes me wonder. Since I am not a bears fan I dont know the history.

Why would they get rid of Gould as a kicker. Was he that much over priced or something.
the Article says he is 72 of 75 for the niners. For this day & age of the Kickers where they all seem to be missing with regularity. What is the scoop group?
He had a bad year, wanted a big contract, and the bears were awful with no hope of being good. It just didn’t make sense to bring him back at the time.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a bad year, wanted a big contract, and the bears were awful with no hope of being good. It just didn’t make sense to bring him back at the time.
I wasn't on this board at the time, but if I had been, I would have argued to retain him despite that off year. However, I think your response is dead on and I at least understand why the Bears let him go and why so many fans supported it at the time.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought they had already given him a good contract, and it was a cut based on perceived value after a down season?

Too lazy to google it.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gould was fantastic from 2005 through roughly mid-2015 and then hit a big slump in December. He cost them not one, but two games in a row when they were in the wild card mix heading into the final month. One coming on a missed 32 yard chip shot in a tie game as regulation expired, before losing in OT. That really mentally screwed him and then he spiraled into full blown yips.

There was no reason to believe that the Bears had lost faith in Gould heading into 2016 training camp. However, he then proceeded to have a complete joke of a pre-season. It was comical. I think he actually missed the majority of his PAT's. The team basically said they couldn't justify heading into the season with a kicker in that big of a slump. Pace was in full blown "strip it down and rebuild" mode and also saw an opportunity to save some cap money.

It bit them in the ass, as Gould revived his career... without a doubt. However, at the time? It made sense and while many weren't happy to see him go? Most understood, myself included.