• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bears Cuts

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have it right wounded.

There are two things our MLB cannot do that urlacher did well a few years ago. Run back and cover the middle of the field and shed blocks to stop the run. I give one example to fix that. Start the fucking middle linebacker 10 yards off the line of scrimmage. You put Bostic back there and they do some quick flip over the line and Bostic chases with a head of steam, that tight end is not getting up. Audible to a draw, fine, who is getting to Bostic to block him by the time the running back gets there if the D line does a resemblance of their job. That running back wont get up right away. They will get some yards, but I guarantee wide receivers are gonna be getting alligator arms down the road. If the players have weaknesses, put them in the position to cover them up.

Everything keys on the safeties, so putting your MLB back with the safeties, in the position you want him to run back to anyway, will be a hybrid type of defense. Hybrid almost to the point of a 46, something nobody had ever seen before.

Urlacher was a freak athlete, but he was a safety thru college, so he was used to that kind of play. These backers are not. It has been the reason the cover 2 has sucked so hard. It was bad when Urlacher slowed down and couldnt get back there anymore, its been the same since.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you guys are just hoping that they're running a vanilla defense. Seems to me if you are a Defensive Coordinator, you would want to run all of the complex stuff in the preseason as well just to get the wrinkles out before you hit a regular season game.

I can understand running a vanilla D with your scrubs. Your just trying to evaluate their athleticism and their football sense, but the starters should be running through all of the complex stuff you have in your playbook.

I'm sorry, but the Vanilla Defense Argument when it comes to our starters just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

So we play it close to the vest all preseason playing a vanilla defense, even with our starters, so we can surprise our opponents, but we show most of it during the first regular season game against the Buffalo Fucking Bills?!!!

I guess my point is, every opponent who is interested in seeing all of the "complex schemes" that the defensive genius Mel Tucker has cooked up will see it in the very first week against the Buffalo Bills.... So what's the advantage of hiding it during preseason? Why are we deluding ourselves that the Chicago Bears defense is going to unleash all kinds of complicated magical schemes when we hit the regular season?
========= No one is guessing that they are playing a vanilla def. We are watching them play a total basic D. This is not a guess, it is being witnessed by all of us including you. Are you seeing something we are not? Are you watching? Don't mean to be rude but it's right in front of you plain to see.

Mikefive

KFFL Mod... SportsHoopla nobody
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont disagree, but in this case its about the big picture/upside. Keep a 30 yr old with 15 career reps or the soon to be 24 yr old rookie. Experience isnt a distancing factor between the two. So, in this case doesnt it make more sense to go with the younger player as a potential 3rd QB option?
I think expectations play a role in the decision making process. I would think that the Bears expect to be a playoff team. That being the case, coupled with the fact that the last 4 years, Jay Cutler has missed significant time due to injury, says to me that you don't say "well if we're down to our #3, we're going to lose anyway, so it doesn't matter". It could very well matter. And having a guy who can at least run the offense if pressed into service is certainly superior to having a late round rookie who is going to wet himself in that instance.

Now if you're Jacksonville, sure... Have 3 developmental QBs and develop away. You're not going anywhere in 2014, so your #3 QB doesn't matter at all.

Besides, what are the odds of success of 6th round QBs not named Tom Brady? Extremely slim. So why they want to throw in the towel during a playoff run if Cutler and Clausen go down makes little sense to me.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I think you guys are just hoping that they're running a vanilla defense. Seems to me if you are a Defensive Coordinator, you would want to run all of the complex stuff in the preseason as well just to get the wrinkles out before you hit a regular season game.

I can understand running a vanilla D with your scrubs. Your just trying to evaluate their athleticism and their football sense, but the starters should be running through all of the complex stuff you have in your playbook.

I'm sorry, but the Vanilla Defense Argument when it comes to our starters just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

So we play it close to the vest all preseason playing a vanilla defense, even with our starters, so we can surprise our opponents, but we show most of it during the first regular season game against the Buffalo Fucking Bills?!!!

I guess my point is, every opponent who is interested in seeing all of the "complex schemes" that the defensive genius Mel Tucker has cooked up will see it in the very first week against the Buffalo Bills.... So what's the advantage of hiding it during preseason? Why are we deluding ourselves that the Chicago Bears defense is going to unleash all kinds of complicated magical schemes when we hit the regular season?

maybe it doesn't make sense to you, but both offenses and defenses in the NFL have a long history of what you are choosing not to want to believe is going on. One of the best examples was the Greatest Show on Turf. From that preseason, no one knew what was coming. No one except the Rams, of course.

Running bland schemes in preseason is extremely common. Now...of course...sometimes it is because the scheme is actually going to be bland! Maybe that's the case here, or maybe it is not. Preseason football is mostly an exercise in allowing coaches to further see how individuals work in one-on-one matchups and athletic ability, not in how to evaluate complex game plans.

But of course, we shall soon see. If it's week 4 and the Bears D is playing vanilla, then cream over complexity all you want. Until then, it doesn't mean much, because we as fans just don't know.

C

cubzzzfanincali

So what's the advantage of hiding it during preseason? Why are we deluding ourselves that the Chicago Bears defense is going to unleash all kinds of complicated magical schemes when we hit the regular season?

And as for this, the reason so many teams do not tip their hands in preseason is simple. It is a disadvantage to put your plays on tape. Pure and simple. Opposing teams develop their game plans on two things. One, individual player evaluations. Two, what's on your opponent's tape. NFL teams study tape like heroin users inject fluids. They are junkies over tape. Now, of course, as the season goes on, the tape don't lie, teams are using what their tools are, no kidding. but in the first four weeks of the season, game planning is much more guesswork. This is why sometimes teams start out better out of the gate than they do later in the season (yes..obviously...there can be many other reasons). But sometimes they are simply busting out surprises on their opponents that they don't expect.

The NFL is a league of exploiting ANY advantage, often a very small one, to win games. If you win 2 games more by a few plays of being secretive, why wouldn't you?

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
========= No one is guessing that they are playing a vanilla def. We are watching them play a total basic D. This is not a guess, it is being witnessed by all of us including you. Are you seeing something we are not? Are you watching? Don't mean to be rude but it's right in front of you plain to see.

No, I agree with you that they are indeed running a basic defense. I'm just saying, I don't think they are capable of much more. The linebackers are slow to read and often out of place, the 2 gap responsibility scheme for the D Line that Mel Tucker said he is going to use is not looking that great, why the heck would you try to run stunts with this crew since they're not getting the fundamentals down in the basic defense.

With that said, the variables in this equation are not static. I hope to see improvement from these guys throughout the season, but I don't think you're going to see some magical transformation in Week 1 against the Bills. The first string shitty D you've been seeing in preseason is the shitty first string defense you'll be seeing in Week 1.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe it doesn't make sense to you, but both offenses and defenses in the NFL have a long history of what you are choosing not to want to believe is going on. One of the best examples was the Greatest Show on Turf. From that preseason, no one knew what was coming. No one except the Rams, of course.

Running bland schemes in preseason is extremely common. Now...of course...sometimes it is because the scheme is actually going to be bland! Maybe that's the case here, or maybe it is not. Preseason football is mostly an exercise in allowing coaches to further see how individuals work in one-on-one matchups and athletic ability, not in how to evaluate complex game plans.

But of course, we shall soon see. If it's week 4 and the Bears D is playing vanilla, then cream over complexity all you want. Until then, it doesn't mean much, because we as fans just don't know.

I'll agree that teams basically run a vanilla D, but I did see Seattle's starters running some stunts on their defense including some 3rd down blitzes (even the announcers were chuckling about Seattle doing some game-planning).

So the Super Bowl Champs are practicing their stunts for regular season and not keeping them as some super secret scheme that Offensive Coordinator's have never seen. When Seattle's D hits week 1, they'll hit the ground running because they have their timing down, etc.

The Bears won't because they can't even get their basic package fundamentals down. It least that's how it appears to me.......but I've been wrong before. We'll see in Week 1.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And as for this, the reason so many teams do not tip their hands in preseason is simple. It is a disadvantage to put your plays on tape. Pure and simple. Opposing teams develop their game plans on two things. One, individual player evaluations. Two, what's on your opponent's tape. NFL teams study tape like heroin users inject fluids. They are junkies over tape. Now, of course, as the season goes on, the tape don't lie, teams are using what their tools are, no kidding. but in the first four weeks of the season, game planning is much more guesswork. This is why sometimes teams start out better out of the gate than they do later in the season (yes..obviously...there can be many other reasons). But sometimes they are simply busting out surprises on their opponents that they don't expect.

The NFL is a league of exploiting ANY advantage, often a very small one, to win games. If you win 2 games more by a few plays of being secretive, why wouldn't you?

You make a pretty good point.

I still say that once we play the Bills the secret is out of the box to what our defense is basically about. So I guess the real questions are:

Is it more important to get your timing and spacing down for all the stunts you're going to run on defense so you can hit the ground running Week 1?

Or is it more advantageous to keep those stunts hidden close to the vest so you can surprise your opponent?

It is my belief that any OC worth his salt has seen anything Mel Tucker may have in store and can adjust accordingly. But to your point, the team would have to adjust on the fly and would not be able to practice these adjustments in the week prior to the game.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I'll agree that teams basically run a vanilla D, but I did see Seattle's starters running some stunts on their defense including some 3rd down blitzes (even the announcers were chuckling about Seattle doing some game-planning).

So the Super Bowl Champs are practicing their stunts for regular season and not keeping them as some super secret scheme that Offensive Coordinator's have never seen. When Seattle's D hits week 1, they'll hit the ground running because they have their timing down, etc.

The Bears won't because they can't even get their basic package fundamentals down. It least that's how it appears to me.......but I've been wrong before. We'll see in Week 1.

You know, I actually think you may be totally right. But you also may be totally wrong. All I am saying is that as of now we don't know either way.

Seattle practicing stunts doesn't give anything away. Everyone already knows that's what they are going to do. Seattle's game is already (probably) pretty firmly established, and until they are knocked off, it's probably going to stay that way.

The same is not true of the Bears. Maybe they can't run shit, I don't know. Buit they have nothing to lose by keeping their opponents guessing.

C

cubzzzfanincali

No, I agree with you that they are indeed running a basic defense. I'm just saying, I don't think they are capable of much more. The linebackers are slow to read and often out of place, the 2 gap responsibility scheme for the D Line that Mel Tucker said he is going to use is not looking that great, why the heck would you try to run stunts with this crew since they're not getting the fundamentals down in the basic defense.

The linebackers are my number one worry about this team. Before you came on here, I probably authored a dozen points worrying about Shea as our strongside linebacker. I am practically pathological about worrying about that. Bostic and Greene certainly haven't yet proven they understand gap responsibility. Of course, we got spoiled over the years by great linebacker play.

Lance Briggs...this is a guy that no matter how bad he looks during preseason, I am not worried. He knows how to play. I damn well expect he will show up week 1. Whether the others do or not, I don't know, but if he is coasting this offseason, I'm not sweating. Yet.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so there were around 45 guys not in pads last night, including McClellan? Did anyone even see Jordan Lynch, who was supposed to get carrys or was he not in pads?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so there were around 45 guys not in pads last night, including McClellan? Did anyone even see Jordan Lynch, who was supposed to get carrys or was he not in pads?

Lynch played the last 8 minutes or so.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think expectations play a role in the decision making process. I would think that the Bears expect to be a playoff team. That being the case, coupled with the fact that the last 4 years, Jay Cutler has missed significant time due to injury, says to me that you don't say "well if we're down to our #3, we're going to lose anyway, so it doesn't matter". It could very well matter. And having a guy who can at least run the offense if pressed into service is certainly superior to having a late round rookie who is going to wet himself in that instance.

Now if you're Jacksonville, sure... Have 3 developmental QBs and develop away. You're not going anywhere in 2014, so your #3 QB doesn't matter at all.

Besides, what are the odds of success of 6th round QBs not named Tom Brady? Extremely slim. So why they want to throw in the towel during a playoff run if Cutler and Clausen go down makes little sense to me.

We already saw that they see some value in youth...otherwise why would Palmer be cut first? The highlighted part is where I just dont see that as a significant factor. Palmer has 15 career reps. Sure, simply being on a team and going through the routine as a teammate helps some, but IMO wouldnt put much value on that. Right now, we as fans dont know the brass views Fales. Is he one of the 53, but one of the 7 DNPs on game day? Or is he PS bound?

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch played the last 8 minutes or so.

Thanks, must have gone over to a different show. I thought he was expected to get alot more time yesterday. I guess even the 53rd guy that makes this roster will probably be replaced by somebody elses cut player.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, must have gone over to a different show. I thought he was expected to get alot more time yesterday. I guess even the 53rd guy that makes this roster will probably be replaced by somebody elses cut player.

Nah, Lynch was playing sometime in the 4th quarter when the NFL Network was flipping back and forth to the Raider/Seahawk game and the Bear game like a short attention spanned, meth addicted dickhead.

Whoever is in charge of programming at the NFL network is a moron. Really stupid shit there in the 4th quarter.

Anyhow, Lynch looked like he is certain not to make the team. On the other hand, Cleveland's RB, Isaiah Crowell from Alabama State, looked better than anything we have at 2nd string behind Forte....

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another round of CUTS:

Friday: 4:00PM
WR Armanti Edwards
TE Jeron Masturd
T Dennis Roland
C/G Robert Turner...

RB Jordan Lynch Waived.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Note: Jordan Palmer was just cut by the Bills too.
Bengals RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis cut too.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 more long snappers were looked at...hmmm

jamus34

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Note: Jordan Palmer was just cut by the Bills too.
Bengals RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis cut too.

NO way Buff was keeping him on the week 1 roster...they picked his brain and sent him on his way....