• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bears Cuts

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As anyone who knew me on KFFL knows, I'm no Jerry Angelo fan.

Here's a quick breakdown of drafted players who "contributed" (an arbitrary term that more or less equates to "started several games not due to injury" and/or "played a key role on ST")
2002: 3/9 (M. Columbo, 1st; A. Brown, 4th; A. Peterson, 6th)
2003: 3/12 (R. Grossman, 1st; C. Tillman, 2nd; L. Briggs, 3rd)
2004: 4/8 (T. Harris, 1st; T. Johnson, 2nd; B. Berrian, 3rd; N. Vasher, 4th)
2005: 2/6 (K. Orton, 4th; C. Harris, 6th)
2006: 2/7 (D. Manning, 2nd; D. Hester, 2nd)
2007: 3/9 (G. Olsen, 1st; G. Wolfe, 3rd; C. Graham, 5th)
2008: 6/12 (C. Williams, 1st; M. Forte, 2nd; E. Bennett, 3rd; C. Steltz, 4th; Z. Bowman, 5th; K. Davis, 5th)
2009: 4/9 (H. Melton, 4th; D.J. Moore, 4th; J. Knox, 5th; L. Louis, 7th)
2010: 3/6 (M. Wrong, 3rd; C. Wootton, 4th; J. Webb, 7th)
2011: 3/5 (G. Carimi, 1st; S. Paea, 2nd; C. Conte, 3rd)
33/83, 39.8%

At the same time, contrast that with Phil Emery.
2012: 2/6 (S. McClellin, 1st; A. Jeffrey, 2nd)
2013: 3/6 (K. Long, 1st; J. Bostic, 2nd; J. Mills, 5th)
5/12, 41.7%

Better, but hardly by a significant margin. Isaiah Frey (2012) is too fringe to count, and there's still time for Marquess Wilson (2013) who flashed some promise. (I harbor no such hopes for Khaseem Greene or Cornelius Washington.)

I like Phil Emery, and in particular the job he's done rebuilding the Bears offensive line (sooooo long neglected), but Angelo managed to score well in free agency a couple of times too, so ultimately Emery needs to be evaluated on his drafting. So far he's been better than JA, but not by much. :hope:

I cant give too much to Emery yet. If we are considering MCClellan a win being his very first draft pick was a linebacker he drafted to play defensive end when there were defensive ends like Chandler Jones and Whitney Mercilus on the board, then drafted Brandon Hardin in the third round. Any time a third round pick is gone the year after he was drafted it was not a good pick

C

cubzzzfanincali

it is too soon to judge Emery, even still. If he works out as bad as Angelo in the long run, then we will all have our answers.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
scratch Isiah Frey off that list, Brown the guard as well to get to 75.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As anyone who knew me on KFFL knows, I'm no Jerry Angelo fan.

Here's a quick breakdown of drafted players who "contributed" (an arbitrary term that more or less equates to "started several games not due to injury" and/or "played a key role on ST")
2002: 3/9 (M. Columbo, 1st; A. Brown, 4th; A. Peterson, 6th)
2003: 3/12 (R. Grossman, 1st; C. Tillman, 2nd; L. Briggs, 3rd)
2004: 4/8 (T. Harris, 1st; T. Johnson, 2nd; B. Berrian, 3rd; N. Vasher, 4th)
2005: 2/6 (K. Orton, 4th; C. Harris, 6th)
2006: 2/7 (D. Manning, 2nd; D. Hester, 2nd)
2007: 3/9 (G. Olsen, 1st; G. Wolfe, 3rd; C. Graham, 5th)
2008: 6/12 (C. Williams, 1st; M. Forte, 2nd; E. Bennett, 3rd; C. Steltz, 4th; Z. Bowman, 5th; K. Davis, 5th)
2009: 4/9 (H. Melton, 4th; D.J. Moore, 4th; J. Knox, 5th; L. Louis, 7th)
2010: 3/6 (M. Wrong, 3rd; C. Wootton, 4th; J. Webb, 7th)
2011: 3/5 (G. Carimi, 1st; S. Paea, 2nd; C. Conte, 3rd)
33/83, 39.8%

At the same time, contrast that with Phil Emery.
2012: 2/6 (S. McClellin, 1st; A. Jeffrey, 2nd)
2013: 3/6 (K. Long, 1st; J. Bostic, 2nd; J. Mills, 5th)
5/12, 41.7%

Better, but hardly by a significant margin. Isaiah Frey (2012) is too fringe to count, and there's still time for Marquess Wilson (2013) who flashed some promise. (I harbor no such hopes for Khaseem Greene or Cornelius Washington.)

I like Phil Emery, and in particular the job he's done rebuilding the Bears offensive line (sooooo long neglected), but Angelo managed to score well in free agency a couple of times too, so ultimately Emery needs to be evaluated on his drafting. So far he's been better than JA, but not by much. :hope:

Mother-effin' great post.

McClellin has most certainly contributed, but not nearly to the extent that I would have thought a Chandler Jones would have contributed (as AnotherIdiot so aptly pointed out).....and this year it would seem that McClellin's ass is on the bubble. So if he fails to meet our lowest expectations, does that make him a "bust?"

Getting to your above post, I think the joy of being liberated from the shackles of Lovie and Angie coupled with the obligatory honeymoon period that comes with the acquisition of any new coach and GM may have slightly blinded us to the reality of the situation.

The problem is that they did actually do a dynamite job on renovating the offense. I think we're (the Chicago Bear fan) is waiting to see if Emery and Trestman are one-trick ponies. That is, are they only good at solving problems on the offensive side of the ball.

I guess the thing that frightens me (yes, frightens me) is do these guys actually have faith in what I believe is a bottom of the barrel Defensive Coordinator? If he is indeed ineffective (and we'll see this season) and proves me to be correct, then Emery and Trestman can't evaluate shit on the defensive side of the ball, which is a HUGE problem....

Or are they simply being diplomatic to Mel Tucker by allowing him to stay another year.....for optic purposes or whatever the heck. If that's true, then that's bullshit.

The thing is, I remember that Rob Ryan was available when Trestman came aboard and Emery and Trestman never interviewed him. Everybody was frightened because the "evil 3-4" Ryan would employ. Meanwhile Tucker says he's going to use a hybrid (which I've seen no evidence) and everybody seemed to have gotten some kind of a pigskin hard on....

Oh well, we'll just have to see what these guys have in store for the defensive side of the ball during the regular season.

Mikefive

KFFL Mod... SportsHoopla nobody
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the "contributed" label inherently reflects some bias. Franklin would've been a better MLB than Bostic was last year. But he didn't get to play. Why? Bostic was the draft pick. You can say the same for SheaMac. So to say they "contributed" might mean that the coaching staff did the customary thing, i.e. give draft picks more of a chance than other guys get.

Why is David Fales still on the roster, when Jordan Palmer got released? Fales didn't outplay Palmer. Not even close.

PC Load Letter

Gangster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meanwhile Tucker says he's going to use a hybrid (which I've seen no evidence) and everybody seemed to have gotten some kind of a pigskin hard on....
I've said this over and over. I have no idea why so many Bears fans and even the media bought into this. The only thing we know about Tucker is at best his defense is "meh" and the flip side was the worst in franchise history.

In regards to to PE. His drafting on defense is pretty damn awful. McNugget has no business starting and his next defensive player Brandon Hardin lasted about as long as Casey Urlacher. We sure as hell better hit on one of his sophomore LBs and rookie DTs or we're gonna be wasting the prime of our offense.

Butkus34

Un-insightful Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, not sure what hybrid they are talking about. Maybe he is talking a mesh of techniques or so but they haven't shown any of that yet.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think Trestman is just giving Tucker one more chance. Why can't this team ever bring in a good defensive coach along with a good offensive guy? It's like we can only have one or the other.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I think it's entirely possible that we have no idea what kind of defense the bears actually intend to deploy during the regular season. There's no reason to assume they have shown their hand. Now...maybe they don't have a hand. But we don't know either way yet.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's entirely possible that we have no idea what kind of defense the bears actually intend to deploy during the regular season. There's no reason to assume they have shown their hand. Now...maybe they don't have a hand. But we don't know either way yet.

Yea, I posted this before, listening to Brad Biggs on the radio, he was talking to Bernie Kozar who had just watched a Bear practice. Kozar said the Bears were doing things on D that he found difficult for a QB to diagnose. That sounded pretty positive, or it explains why Kozar never won a Superbowl. Take your pick. :pound:

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
**I am in NO WAY defending Angelo, hated him... I'm just curious what fans of other teams would say about their draft picks too. We, as bear fans, are so close to it and we devour every scrap of info on these guys and know as much as we can- then we see some other teams draft and have ESPN or some stupid talking head saying they "won the draft"- then two/three years later that team is still in the shit. The players they chose to "win the draft" didn't do anything either.

I know teams like Seattle have gotten some very good young players who contributed early and have worked out...(read CHEAP) while the rest have had to work the FA market and built that way. I think it's all a crap shoot- you really don't know who is going to pan out- NOBODY wanted Tom Brady... People didn't think Drew Brees would be who he is today... I'm willing to bet more then half of the teams in the NFL could look at lists of their drafts and see many misses too. It just hurts more as a Bear Fan. And YES Jerry Angelo missed more then he hit in the draft. Glad he's gone- Going to give Emery a couple more years.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is David Fales still on the roster, when Jordan Palmer got released? Fales didn't outplay Palmer. Not even close.

I dont disagree, but in this case its about the big picture/upside. Keep a 30 yr old with 15 career reps or the soon to be 24 yr old rookie. Experience isnt a distancing factor between the two. So, in this case doesnt it make more sense to go with the younger player as a potential 3rd QB option?

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the bigger question is why not give Clausen some time tomorrow. He still has things to learn. Showing what Fales has is just gonna make it harder to get him thru waivers onto the practice squad.

I guess the majority is hoping Fales needs a break and Jordan Lynch lines up behind center for a few plays tomorrow night.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think Trestman is just giving Tucker one more chance. Why can't this team ever bring in a good defensive coach along with a good offensive guy? It's like we can only have one or the other.

On those stupid vegas odds deals, its 33:1 that trestman gets fired during the season, I think it was third highest between Garrett and Coughlin.

Alot of us figured its giving Trestman one more person to blame when the season does not go as planned. If the bears are bottom 5 in defense by week 6 I hope they are prepared to make a change.

Hopefully we see some of these new defensive schemes tomorrow with the scrubs. They shouldnt be as good as the starters at it so teams wont believe they are not showing something.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On those stupid vegas odds deals, its 33:1 that trestman gets fired during the season, I think it was third highest between Garrett and Coughlin.

Alot of us figured its giving Trestman one more person to blame when the season does not go as planned. If the bears are bottom 5 in defense by week 6 I hope they are prepared to make a change.

Hopefully we see some of these new defensive schemes tomorrow with the scrubs. They shouldnt be as good as the starters at it so teams wont believe they are not showing something.

Nah, I still think it will be a vanilla defense. I doubt they'll show much. I'd rather wait til the regular season to see what the defense has in store got opposing offenses.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, I still think it will be a vanilla defense. I doubt they'll show much. I'd rather wait til the regular season to see what the defense has in store got opposing offenses.

I think you guys are just hoping that they're running a vanilla defense. Seems to me if you are a Defensive Coordinator, you would want to run all of the complex stuff in the preseason as well just to get the wrinkles out before you hit a regular season game.

I can understand running a vanilla D with your scrubs. Your just trying to evaluate their athleticism and their football sense, but the starters should be running through all of the complex stuff you have in your playbook.

I'm sorry, but the Vanilla Defense Argument when it comes to our starters just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

So we play it close to the vest all preseason playing a vanilla defense, even with our starters, so we can surprise our opponents, but we show most of it during the first regular season game against the Buffalo Fucking Bills?!!!

I guess my point is, every opponent who is interested in seeing all of the "complex schemes" that the defensive genius Mel Tucker has cooked up will see it in the very first week against the Buffalo Bills.... So what's the advantage of hiding it during preseason? Why are we deluding ourselves that the Chicago Bears defense is going to unleash all kinds of complicated magical schemes when we hit the regular season?