• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BCS Countdown week 12 thread

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys put your pork swords away :L

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have no win with an asterisk, you don't even have a loss with an asterisk, you have 2 losses. Maybe you have a hard time understanding things because you refuse to accept the reality.

So its perfectly normal for a team that is 7-0-1 against the spread to be ranked lower in the BCS rankings than the computer rankings? It is perfectly normal to punish teams for winning by a lot and losing by a little?

For all the shit I give you, you at least have a halfway decent computer ranking that considers MOV. Apparently, the Coaches Poll seems to be rank teams based on publicity alone. There is no human component that considers circumstances. Thank god that poll will be irrelevant next year.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So its perfectly normal for a team that is 7-0-1 against the spread to be ranked lower in the BCS rankings than the computer rankings? It is perfectly normal to punish teams for winning by a lot and losing by a little?

For all the shit I give you, you at least have a halfway decent computer ranking that considers MOV. Apparently, the Coaches Poll seems to be rank teams based on publicity alone. There is no human component that considers circumstances. Thank god that poll will be irrelevant next year.

The spread is for vegas and means nothing. Not even sure why you would think it matters here honestly. Does a team that has 0 wins but has covered the spread every time suddenly mean they should be ranked higher?

My computer doesn't reward MoV directly. A win by 1 point and a win by 100 points is exactly the same. However, it does matter a bit when it comes to figuring up the power of teams, which is used to predict games, as ignoring the MoV would lead to some pretty awful predictions. And in that manner it does indirectly have an effect, but to me a win is a win. In some cases, it can actually be better not to win by more, as it will bring the power of the other team down, which will lower their SoS value. Although that is pretty much made up for by a bulk of games, it's still there.

Those polls won't be irrelevant next year either. Anymore than they are now. The committee only decides the top4 teams, which isn't in question for Wisconsin anyway. Just like the BCS doesn't have that much meaning outside the top2(and BCS bowls, most of which is tie-ins outside at-large bids). Which really highlights one major thing - why are you getting so bent out of shape over stuff that is so meaningless? Just accept it and move on.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A win by 1 point and a win by 100 points is exactly the same.

I think that is problematic for your formula. Just my opinion. I do like the fact that you want to minimize blowouts, especially since the human voters place so much emphasis on them. However, a big win should get at least a little more respect than a close call.