• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Basketball Week 1: East Tennessee + NIT Tip Off Thread

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday showed that we really need Green back. We also need to get busy finding the guy to replace/spell him. Garland ain't it.

Agreed, and once Rankin is back I think he will be the guy. If the play of the rest of the freshmen is any indication, he will be ready to ball as well.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also wanted to say there was a decent turnout, but the crowd noise was pretty meh.

Last edited by a moderator:

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Tickets under $10 for like the next 7 games (excludes Kstate $27) on stub hub, if anyone is interested.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our offense was sloppy to say the least. We really need to work on breaking the zone. When we got the ball inside, we were extremely effective. When we just passed the ball around the perimeter the entire possession, we ended with crappy shots. You don't beat the zone just by sitting there and letting the zone recover to you. BLEHARGHBLEHARGHARGH

I noticed that too and its been a trademark for Greenberg's teams for quite awhile. Just pass the ball around the perimeter as if the defense is magically going to let you score. :L I hope its just a one game thing or something to do with inexperience. But I'm skeptical considering how stagnant our offense has looked in the past.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't be able to make the game against Monmouth because my design team meeting is right on top of it. I am going to the Chalk Talk tomorrow and will report any interesting tidbits.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed that too and its been a trademark for Greenberg's teams for quite awhile. Just pass the ball around the perimeter as if the defense is magically going to let you score. :L I hope its just a one game thing or something to do with inexperience. But I'm skeptical considering how stagnant our offense has looked in the past.

That's a Greenberg team for ya. He puts a great product on the floor defensively, but the offense always seems to struggle. We won't have Delaney this year to take over the game when the rest of the offense can't score, which is worrying. However, I think when Green comes back we will have a very balanced offense. Green seems like our most solid pure-1 since Jamon Gordon (Delaney was always more of a 2 imo).

I won't be able to make the game against Monmouth because my design team meeting is right on top of it. I am going to the Chalk Talk tomorrow and will report any interesting tidbits.

Is Greenberg doing the Chalk Talks for every game this year, or just a handful like usual? I went to a bunch the first year he had them, but haven't been able to make them lately. He does a great job to get the students interested in the games. It sucks the lottery system is so bad it discourages students from attending.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do they allow students to fill empty seats after tipoff? That was done a few times when I was there. If they don't, then Weaver is an idiot.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup they allow students to walk in after tip-off to sit in the unoccupied seats in the upper corners of the students section. Most students don't seem to know this, or don't feel like sitting way up there. It's unfortunate that all of the good seats go to students who win the season ticket lottery and half of them don't go unless it's a big game.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup they allow students to walk in after tip-off to sit in the unoccupied seats in the upper corners of the students section. Most students don't seem to know this, or don't feel like sitting way up there. It's unfortunate that all of the good seats go to students who win the season ticket lottery and half of them don't go unless it's a big game.
Most people are indifferent about Basketball unless its Duke, UNC or some other big name team.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most people are indifferent about Basketball unless its Duke, UNC or some other big name team.

Yup, but if something besides the lottery were in place, more students would attend basketball games. I won't go into full rant mode about it here since this isn't the board to talk about it on, but we could have much higher student attendance if they simply changed distribution, and it shows at other schools.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I really wish the Athletic Department would improve OOC scheduling. A possible matchup with Mason is so exciting, but its unfortunately a no go for most out of towners with football on Thursday. K State is the evening after Charlotte. Every other home game is dreadful. How do they expect this schedule to attract fans? Just one respectable opponent on a non-football weekend would be WELL worth the trip from Richmond for me. This isn't football: A seven hour round trip isn't gonna cut it for a two hour game against Campbell.

In the mean time, they should encourage every student to pack that place. Do what ever it takes to make it as mandatory an event as football.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some tidbits I picked up about Monmouth from the Chalk Talk today. There is another Chalk Talk tomorrow about George Mason/FIU. I also saw Bud Foster and Charlie Wiles were at D2. Bud Foster really likes D2 for some reason.

Monmouth is a small team with three undersized guards so we might more three guard sets like we saw versus ETSU. We will probably Garland and Green on the court at the same time if Green is ready to play. We should be able to screen and out rebound them.

Offensively they like to push the ball in transition. They also like to jack up three point shots so we've got to be ready to contest.

On defense they play a bit of man and zone. They also do a lot of pressure looks in the half court off of free throws and timeouts, so we have to be ready to make the extra pass and make the defense shift.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bud Foster really likes D2 for some reason.

Because it's fucking delicious?

Good to hear Green should be back. We really need him on the floor.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
where do these "chalk talks" take place? Is this something anyone can attend?

FWIW i've only been following VT basketball since we joined the ACC, before that i couldnt care less about college hoops so im kinda new to all the extra stuff around the program.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt that Green will play tomorrow, but we'll see. I read earlier that the goal for his return was Monday.

The game tomorrow will be an ugly one. We should win.. but it won't be pretty. George Mason worries me.

so green had an injury i assume? i hadnt heard anything about it....any word if he will be playing today?

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i was surprised to see that Garland was our leading scorer on saturday....maybe he's calmed down a little from last season

4808-3857.gif

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what irks me the most about the seating at the b-ball games is when older alumni don't show up. I understand that they most likely aren't into hoops and as someone said, it's hard to pack up and go on a trip to see a two hour games against some team from the MEAC. I just hate seeing empty seats throughout the game. I would gladly pay money for a ticket to fill those seats after tipoff. I'm sure some of the current students would as well. In fact, I don't see how this couldn't be a win-win for the AD. You see the public seats are unfilled at tipoff so just sell the seats to students for say, 5 to 10 bucks.

BTW, good to know Bud still goes to D2. I use to see him there as well along with some other coaches. The best thing for me was if there were O-line players there as well and seeing the coaches almost forcing them to eat more. "Cmon, one more plate!".

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
where do these "chalk talks" take place? Is this something anyone can attend?

FWIW i've only been following VT basketball since we joined the ACC, before that i couldnt care less about college hoops so im kinda new to all the extra stuff around the program.
Yeah, anyone can attend. All chalk talks are in D2. next to the Dishreturn., The market guys really like them because they get a free lunch.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it's fucking delicious?

Good to hear Green should be back. We really need him on the floor.

if by delicious you mean makes you shit your brains out, then yes i agree. haha.

what is the television for this game?