• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Baseball History

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On this date in 1887 John Clarkson of the Boston Beaneaters (Braves)| is lifted from the game although he’s working on a no-hitter against Pittsburgh. No, Preston Gomez is not managing the Beaneaters in those days but I bet King Kelly who was managing them was one of his role models.
HOF’er Clarkson pitched only 12 seasons in the Majors (1882-1894) and although never considered the premier pitcher of his day, he was highly regarded by teammates and opponents alike and is still among the all-time leaders in Wins, Winning %, Complete Games, Innings Pitched.
Starting in an era of two-man rotations he was intelligent, sensitive, handsome, and generally subdued, but was not above certain acts of indiscretion on the field. In one game, he pitched a lemon instead of a ball to prove to the umpire that it was too dark to continue play. His contemporaries considered him a calculating, scientific pitcher who carefully analyzed every hitter's weaknesses. Peering out from deep-set dark eyes, his long, lean fingers cradling the ball, he had a slow, assured pace to his delivery, and he may well have dominated some hitters by intimidation alone.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=john...0-greatest-major-league-baseball.html;338;500

It was on this date in 1901 at Boston's Huntington Avenue Baseball Grounds, Cy Young of the Americans seven-hits the A's, 5-3, to win his 300th victory. The 34-year old will ‘only’ win another 211 games in his career.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=cy+y...852%2Fbaseballs-300-game-winners%2F18;488;800

Best known today as Baseball's Sad Lexicon the legendary verse detailing the Cubs' double play combination of Tinker to Evers to Chance, entitled That Double Play Again, is published for the first time on this date in 1910.

Baseball's Sad Lexicon: Tinker to Evers To Chance on Vimeo

In 1895 Roger Connor becomes the ML leader in career HRs when he passes Harry Stovey’s mark of 122. Connor would retire with 138. It was on this date in 1921, 26 years later Connor would surrender the career mark to Babe Ruth when the Babe cranks hits 2 homers in a 6-4 win over the Browns in St. Louis. It would be 53 years before Ruth relinquishes the mark to Hank Aaron in 1974.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/13/sports/baseball/13vecsey.html

It was on this date in 1931 the largest crowd in the history of Sportsman's Park( aka, Busch Stadium ) in St. Louis‚ 45‚715 (in a ballpark with 35‚000 seats)‚ creates a travesty and permanently distorts the ML record for doubles hit in a game. Easy fly balls drop for ground-rule doubles among the fans encroaching on the field. Fans even line the infield and there is an estimated 8‚000 fans on the ball field. There are 32 doubles hit in 2 games‚ 11 in the first and 21 in the 2nd‚ for ML records both for the most doubles in one game and for a doubleheader. All told‚ there were 43 extra base hits recorded. The Cubs take the opener 7-5 behind Hack Wilson's 3-run HR‚ as Jakie May outpitches Bill Hallahan. The Cards stagger to the finish in the nitecap with a 17-13 win behind Flint Rhem. Ed Baecht loses for the Cubs.

July 12, 1931 Chicago Cubs at St. Louis Cardinals Box Score and Play by Play - Baseball-Reference.com

July 12, 1931 Chicago Cubs at St. Louis Cardinals Box Score and Play by Play - Baseball-Reference.com

It was on this date in 1949 ML owners agree to install warning tracks made of cinder in front of outfield fences prior to the start of next season. The origin of the concept is credited to Yankee Stadium, where an actual running track, used in the ballpark's track and field events, helped fielders know their proximity to the outfield fence when attempting to make a play.

Ballpark Prints

On this date in 1995 Montreal defeats the Cubs by a score of 3-2. Throughout the game‚ Expo 1B David Segui shares his mitt with Chicago's Mark Grace as Grace's glove did not arrive at the ballpark due to a shipping mix-up. The player's leave the mitt in the field between innings‚ as players did until the mid-50s.

July 12, 1995 Chicago Cubs at Montreal Expos Box Score and Play by Play - Baseball-Reference.com

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only Babe Ruth…on this date in 1927 Ruth goes 4 for 4 to lead the Yankees to a 5-3 win over the Indians. Complimented after the game on his day at the plate Ruth replies…"three singles and a double and they call that a perfect day. That's just bunting."

July 13, 1927 New York Yankees at Cleveland Indians Box Score and Play by Play - Baseball-Reference.com

Staying with Ruth, it was on this date in 1934 he hits his 700th HR‚ a two-run shot in the 3rd off Tommy Bridges‚ to lead the Yankees to a‚ 4-2 win at Detroit's Navin Field. As he is circling the bases‚ Ruth shouts to his teammates‚ "I want that ball." As with his 500th and 600th homer‚ the Babe pays $20 to a youngster for the ball.

July 13, 1934 New York Yankees at Detroit Tigers Play by Play and Box Score - Baseball-Reference.com

Dick Wakefield is, I think, one of those Baseball names long forgotten but his mark in the Majors was made and can never be erased. His father, Howard Wakefield was a catcher and spent 3 seasons in the Majors 1905-1907 with Cleveland and Washington. Dick was born in 1921 long after his father’s ML career ended. Dick’s career in the Majors began in 1943 two years after his father died so neither got to see the other play in the Majors.
Dick Wakefield was the first “bonus baby”. He attended the University of Michigan where he played only one season, 1941, with the Michigan Wolverines baseball team. In the summer of 1941, Wakefield was a hot prospect who was invited for tryouts with Brooklyn, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Detroit. Wakefield later recalled that his "criterion" in choosing the right team was "the highest offer." Tigers scout, Wish Egan, persuaded Detroit owner, Walter O. Briggs, Sr. to give Wakefield an unprecedented $52,000 signing bonus ($842,000. today) and a car. In those days $52,000.00 was more than the payroll for some entire ML teams. A 20-year-old Wakefield signed with the Tigers in June 1941 and played in his first ML game that same month, on June 26, 1941. Wakefield went 1-for-7 in a brief stint in the Big Leagues. He spent the 1942 season playing with the Beaumont Exporters, where he was named MVP of the Texas League.
Wakefield returned to the Tigers in 1943 and had a tremendous rookie season. At age 22, he was the starting left fielder for the AL in the All-Star Game and had 2 hits, including a double off Mort Cooper (the NL's MVP in 1942) to drive in Ken Keltner for the game-winning run. He led the AL in 1943 with 200 hits, 38 doubles, and 633 at-bats, finished 2nd in the batting race behind Luke Appling with a .316 batting average, and was among the League leaders with 275 total bases (2nd in the AL), 91 runs (3rd in the AL), 53 extra base hits (4th in the AL), a .434 slugging percentage (5th in the AL), and a .377 on-base percentage (6th in the AL). As a rookie, Wakefield placed 6th in the 1943 American League Most Valuable Player voting, and Wakefield appeared to be on his way to a tremendous career.
WWII came calling in October 1943 and he entered the U.S. Navy as an aviation cadet and was discharged in July 1944, when the cadet program was discontinued. Upon his discharge from the Navy, Wakefield rejoined the Tigers on this date in 1944 and went on a tear, hitting .355 in 78 games, collecting an OPS score of 1.040 and finishing 5th in the AL MVP race. Wakefield was called back to the Navy in November 1944 and remained in the service until January 1946. In all, Wakefield missed half of the 1944 season and the entire 1945 seasons to military service. While in the service, Wakefield met Ted Williams in Hawaii and bet him that he would top him in home runs, RBIs, and batting average when the War ended. They bet $1,000 on each statistic, with Wakefield losing on all three bets, as his Post-War performance fizzled. He cavalier attitude turned many people off but he was a favourite of the owner's wife, Mrs. Briggs, whom Wakefield called "Ma". Mrs. Briggs would sometimes pick up Wakefield in her limousine on the way to the ballpark. Wakefield was described as, "clearly out of the control of Managers, disliked by his fellow players, and criticized in the press, Wakefield was an untouchable for many years because of his relationship with the Briggs family." By 1949 though his average dipped to .206 and even his relationship with Mrs. Briggs could not save him. Wakefield was traded to the New York Yankees in the off-season and with after a mere 2 ABs he was soon in the Pacific Coast League and then by 1952 he was out of Baseball.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=dick...100-greatest-tigers-77-dick-wakefield;299;350

His ML career spanned 20 seasons (1929-1953), 9 different teams and 13 different uniform numbers. Bobo Newsome won 211 ML games but his longest stay with any one team was three seasons ( Detroit 1939, 1940, 1941 ). It was on this date in 1947 he joins the Yankees and goes 7-5 for them over the balance of the year and will help the Yankees to the AL Pennant and a WS win over the Dodgers.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=bobo...%2Fmagic-moments-star-spangled-banner;599;468

It was on this date in 1997 Dennis Reyes becomes the first lefty in nearly five years to start a game for the Dodgers‚ throws 6 strong innings in beating the Giants‚ 9-3. The last lefty starter for L.A. was Bob Ojeda‚ on September 24th‚ 1992‚ in a no-decision at Cincinnati.

July 13, 1997 San Francisco Giants at Los Angeles Dodgers Box Score and Play by Play - Baseball-Reference.com

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The following two sentences come from the fourth paragraph of Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol:
There is no doubt that Marley was dead. This must be distinctly understood, or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am going to relate.
I will take some literary liberty and modify those lines to read thus:
There is no doubt Clayton Kershaw is the best pitcher in Baseball today. This must be distinctly understood, or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am going to relate.
It was on this date in 1946 a pitching legend begins his ascent on becoming one of the greatest pitchers of all-time and maybe the best left-hander in the history of the Grand Old Game when Warren Spahn wins his first ML game, a complete game 4-1 Win over the Pirates at Forbes Field.
This Post is about Warren Spahn but I introduce Kershaw not to start an argument as to who is the greater left-hander but merely for comparison purposes between a Post WWII pitcher and a modern day pitcher at the top of his game. If I wanted to start a discussion of the greatest left-hander of all-time then I would have to bring Lefty Grove and Sandy Koufax into the discussion and I’m sure others would mention names like Randy Johnson, Steve Carlton, Carl Hubbell, Whitey Ford, Tom Glavine and Eddie Plank.
Control and deception ( the big leg kick ) were Spahn’s weapons. He was also as durable as they come. Spahn lost three prime seasons to WWII otherwise he is likely to have Won 400 games instead of the 363 he ended up with and even that total is more than any other pitcher in the Live-Ball Era, Post 1920.
Kershaw, in his five dominating seasons (discounting his rookie season and the current season because of incomplete numbers) has a seasonal pitching line of 214 IP, 2.43 ERA and a W-L record of 14-8. Discounting Spahn’s rookie numbers and his last two seasons when he was 43 and pitching into retirement leaves the 17 consecutive seasons, 1947-1963. Over that period he had a seasonal average of 268 IP, 2.98 ERA and a W-L record of 20-12. In those 17 consecutive seasons he never pitched fewer than 245 innings and Won 20 games 13 different times.
Likely the biggest difference between Spahn and Kershaw is that during his career Spahn was paid an average of $900.00 per Start. Kershaw, if he stays healthy will average about $563,000.00 per Start.

Warren Spahn Statistics and History | Baseball-Reference.com

Also on this date in 1946 as Warren Spahn was winning his first ML game in Pittsburgh the fans in Boston were being treated to an offensive treat at Fenway Park. Future HOF’er the Playing-Manager of the Cleveland Indians, SS Lou Boudreau, banged out 5 extra-base hits and drove in 4 of the Indians 10 runs but it wasn’t enough. Another future HOF'er, Ted Williams, topped him with 8 RBIs on 4 base-hits including 3 HRs, the last of which was a 3-run shot in the bottom of the 8th inning to give the Red Sox an 11-10 win.

July 14, 1946 Cleveland Indians at Boston Red Sox Play by Play and Box Score - Baseball-Reference.com

WWII either interrupted or delayed the start of ML careers. In the case of Mel Parnell it delayed his career until 1947. Once it began it was a good ride. He played a full decade for the Boston Red Sox, from 1947 through 1956, winning 123 games while losing just 75. He ranks first among left-handed Red Sox pitchers in wins, number of games started (232), and number of innings pitched (1,752 2/3). The New Orleans native performed exceptionally well in Fenway Park, a ballpark thought to be unkind to southpaws, compiling a 71-30 mark there. In 1949 he racked up 25 Wins to lead the AL. He continued to pitch well and in 1953 he had 21 Wins including 4 Shutouts of the Yankees. 1954 was the beginning of the end. During a game against the Senators he was hit in the left arm by his former roommate Maury McDermott. They were pitching against each other and planned to have dinner together after the game, but one of McDermott’s pitches sailed in and Parnell threw up his arm to protect himself. It hit him in the wrist and broke the ulna bone. Parnell’s record in 1954 was a disappointing 3-7, though his ERA wasn’t all that bad at 3.70. He pitched only 46 innings in 1955 (2-3, 7.83) but seemed to bounce back in 1956 and on this date in 1956 he threw his 4-0 No-Hitter against the White Sox, the first Red Sox No-Hitter since Howard Ehmke’s in 1923. From the seventh inning on, every out that was made, the fans are jumping up and yelling. My right fielder, Jackie Jensen, comes to me in the seventh inning, he says, ‘Look, fellow, you’re going on a no-hitter. Don’t let them hit the ball to me in right field. I don’t want to be the guy to mess it up for you.’ I said, ‘Jackie, forget it. All I’m looking for is a win.’ The final out was hit back to me. Walter Dropo was with Chicago, an ex-teammate. Dropo hit this ball to the first base side of the mound. I came down off the mound, caught the ball, ran to first base, and made the play unassisted. When I get to first base, Mickey Vernon, our first baseman, says to me, ‘What’s the matter, fellow? You don’t have confidence in me?’ I said, ‘I’ve got all the confidence in the world in you but I was afraid if I threw it I might throw it away.’ Despite that outing he was only a few starts away from his last when surgery was required for nerve damage in his elbow. Had Tommy John surgery been available then he might have been able to pitch a few more seasons but at 34 his playing career was over.

July 14, 1956 Chicago White Sox at Boston Red Sox Play by Play and Box Score - Baseball-Reference.com

It was on this date in 1967 Eddie Mathews becomes just the 7th member of the 500-HR club‚ connecting off loser Juan Marichal as the Astros beat the Giants‚ 8-6.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EidwiXBcqws]Eddie Mathews - Baseball Hall of Fame Biographies - YouTube[/ame]

Bob Purkey was born on this date in 1929. His record of 23-5 in 1962 is the best by any 20 Game winner Post 1900. Steve Stone was born on this date in 1947 and his 25 Wins in 1980 is a record for Wins by an Oriole pitcher since they arrived from St. Louis in 1954 and earned him a Cy Young Award.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=bob+...Fplayers%2Fplayer.php%3Fp%3Dpurkebo01;211;300

https://www.google.ca/search?q=stev...ned-Collectable-Posters_i8735993_.htm;395;488

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was on this date in 1909 the Washington Senators and Detroit Tigers play two games in one, still can’t score and play the longest scoreless game in AL history-18 innings. The game is called after 18 innings and goes in the books as a tie. At season’s end the Tigers win the AL Pennant with a record of 98-54 and the Senators finish in last place 56 games behind the Tigers but for those 18 innings the Tigers couldn’t do a thing against them.

Nothing to Nothing in Overtime

Arthur Irwin was a MLB player for 13 seasons during the 1880s and 1890s. He also managed 8 seasons in the Majors and is best remembered for being the first to take the field with a fielder’s glove. In 1883, Irwin broke the third and fourth fingers of his left hand. Not wanting to miss any games, he obtained an oversized buckskin driving glove, padded it and sewed the third and fourth fingers together to allow space for bandages. He used the glove even after his fingers healed. John Montgomery Ward of New York soon took the field with a similar glove. By the following season, almost every professional player was using the "Irwin glove." He died on this date in 1921 by jumping to his death from a ship in the Atlantic Ocean while travelling from New York City to Boston. It was suicide after he learned he had stomach cancer and only a short time to live. The story didn’t end there for it was discovered he was survived by two wives and families. He first married Elizabeth, in Boston, in 1883. Together they had three children, including a son who was 37 at the time of Irwin's death, and nine grandchildren. In the 1890s he married again, this time in Philadelphia to May, a woman he met while coaching baseball at the University of Pennsylvania. They settled in New York and had a son who was 24 when Irwin died.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=arth...my-mccarthy-philadelphia-quakers.html;730;500

https://www.google.ca/search?q=arth....php%3Ff%3D10%26t%3D4620%26start%3D15;750;560

Si Johnson was a ML pitcher for mostly bad teams over 17 seasons, 1928-1947. He was the last pitcher to strike out Babe Ruth 3 times in a game. On May 26, 1935 Babe Ruth and the Boston Braves came to Cincinnati for a series. Ruth, had just smashed three home runs in a game at Pittsburgh, his last HRs in the Majors. Johnson got the starting assignment in the first game of the series. He fanned the Sultan of Swat the first three times he batted and got him on a popup as the Reds won, 4-3. Ruth retired a week later. Recalling the game in a 1993 interview with Sports Illustrated, Johnson said, “Babe was on his way out by then. He was practically washed up, the poor guy. Those pitches were all fastballs down the middle. People came to see the Babe hit the ball, but he was late on every swing. Don’t tell anybody, but I was hoping the Babe would hit one out. He was a hell of a swell fella.”
Bucky Walters was also a ML pitcher who enjoyed much more success than Si Johnson did. Three times he led the NL in Wins, in 1939 he was the NL’s MVP and won a WS in 1940. On this date in 1937 Johnson and Walters hook up not once, but twice in both ends of a doubleheader with Johnson picking up Wins in both games while Walters got hung with the Loss in both games. In the 1st game Johnson, pitching for the Cardinals, beats Phils' starter Walters, 10-3. Both pitchers relieve in the nitecap and Johnson again tops Walters as the Cards win 18-10‚ scoring 8 runs in the 10th inning.

July 16, 1937 St. Louis Cardinals at Philadelphia Phillies Box Score and Play by Play - Baseball-Reference.com

July 16, 1937 St. Louis Cardinals at Philadelphia Phillies Box Score and Play by Play - Baseball-Reference.com

Mickey Mantle made his ML debut on April 17, 1951…Opening Day in a game against the Boston Red Sox in front of almost 45,000 in Yankee Stadium. Those in attendance were treated to seeing 8 future Hall of Famers in the game…9 if you include jerry Coleman who is in the Broadcaster’s Wing. ( Ted Williams, Bobby Doerr, Lou Boudreau, Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, Johnny Mize, Phil Rizzuto and Yogi Berra). The 19 year old didn’t get the ball out of the infield in his first 2 ABs against Bill Wight grounding out to 2B and then popping out to 3B. He lined a single to leftfield in the 6th off of Wight driving in a run and later scoring. However, Mantle wasn’t in the Majors to stay. On this date in 1951 the Yanks option him to the Kansas City Blues (AA). Mantle‚ plagued with strikeouts and in a slump‚ will go 0-for-22 in his start with the Blues‚ before ending with a tear at .361. The Yankees will recall him August 20th.

Royal Heritage: Mickey Mantle & the 1951 Kansas City Blues

April 17, 1951 Boston Red Sox at New York Yankees Box Score and Play by Play - Baseball-Reference.com

Birthday Greetings to Shoeless Joe Jackson born on this date in 1887.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=shoe....andyamato.com%2Fsports%2Fjackson.htm;300;421

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harry Stovey was a HR hitter in the Dead-Ball Era of the 1880s and 1890s. He was as fast afoot as he was powerful. Before Hank Aaron there was Babe Ruth. Before Ruth was Roger Connor and before Connor was Harry Stovey as the Major Leagues leader in career HRs. He won 5 HR titles and was the first ML’er to smack 100 career HRs. It was on this date in 1880 he hits the first of his 122 career HRs. Twice he led the League in Steals with a career high of 97 in 1890 when the definition of a Stolen Base was different than it is today. He was the first to wear sliding pads and among the first to slide feet first. Gentlemanly and articulate in an age when few ballplayers were, he played as Stovey rather than Stowe (his real name) so that his mother would not see his name in box scores.

An Overlooked 19th-Century Legend: Harry Stovey | SABR

I have to begin by saying I do not know the average number of pitches thrown in a ML at-bat. The last number I saw was 3.76 pitches per at-bat but that number was a few years ago. For the purpose of this blurb I’ll go with 3.76 and also say it was about the same 100 years ago. One of the most unique games in MLB history was played on this date in 1914, 100 years ago exactly. At Forbes Field, Rube Marquard and Babe Adams each go a marathon 21 innings before Larry Doyle’s 2-run HR gives the Giants a 3–1 win over the Pirates. Adams yields no walks and 12 hits, the longest non-walk game in ML history. Marquard walks 2 (one intentional) and yields 15 hits. It’s estimated 600 pitches were tossed in the game by the two pitchers, slightly more than the pitch count you’d see today by a pitcher.

July 17, 1914 New York Giants at Pittsburgh Pirates Play by Play and Box Score - Baseball-Reference.com

It was on this date in 1941 in front of more than 60‚000 fans at Cleveland's League Park‚ Joe DiMaggio's hitting streak is ended at 56 games (94 hits). Indian pitchers Al Smith and Jim Bagby‚ plus sensational plays by 3B Ken Keltner‚ stop the Yankee Clipper.

July 17, 1941 New York Yankees at Cleveland Indians Box Score and Play by Play - Baseball-Reference.com

Kostya Kennedy: End of DiMaggio's 56-game hitting streak changed lives forever - More Sports - SI.com

It was on this date in 1950 Yankee rookie Whitey Ford wins his first ML game‚ beating the visiting White Sox‚ 4-3. He would go on to win another 235 games. His best season was 1961 when he goes 25-4 and wins the Cy Young Award.

Whitey Ford - BR Bullpen

Ty Cobb dies in Atlanta on this date in 1961 of cancer at the age of 74.

Cobb, Ty | Baseball Hall of Fame

Five myths about Ty Cobb

It was on this date in 1974 Tommy John blows out his elbow in a game against the Expos which leads to the first “Tommy John” surgery being performed by Dr. Frank Jobe.

July 17, 1974 Montreal Expos at Los Angeles Dodgers Play by Play and Box Score - Baseball-Reference.com

Tommy John surgery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was on this date in 1921 the “Black Sox Trial” begins. Some lovely photos follow.

http://galleries.apps.chicagotribune.com/chi-130808-1919-black-sox-scandal-pictures/

The main argument ( the only one really ) for Lefty O’Doul not being in the HOF is a lack of playing time in the Majors. Sorry, I don’t buy it and his body of work in Grand Old Game is greater than at least 75% of those enshrined. It was on this date in 1925 playing for Salt Lake City, Lefty O’Doul sets a Pacific Coast League record for hits in a three game series (16-for-17) and for a four-game series (19-for-21). What a treat it must have been to watch him operate with a bat in his hands.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=left...ry-of-baseball-the-man-from-maui%2F;1017;1020

Lefty O'Doul | SABR

It was on this date in 1927 at the Polo Grounds‚ 18-year-old Mel Ott hits his first ML homer in a 6-4 10-inning win over the Cubs. Ott hits a line drive which CF Hack Wilson attempts a shoe string catch. The ball bounds all the way to the CF club house and Ott easily circles the bases. He's the youngest player in the 20th Century to hit an inside-the-park homer: Pat Callahan‚ in 1884‚ was not 18 when he hit his. Ott will hit one more IPHR in his career‚ in 1929. Meanwhile 481 miles to the West in Detroit‚ Ty Cobb, now playing for the Philadelphia Athletics collects his 4‚000th hit‚ a double that glances off the glove of Harry Heilmann. The hit is off Sam Gibson of Detroit. Detroit wins 5-3 over Lefty Grove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yoi-OuqGvkg

No SportsHoopla when Ty Cobb got his 4,000th hit

It was a Major League Ballpark for all of one season, 1961 yet in that singular season it gave up more HRs, 248, than any other ballpark in history and it would be another 35 years before that record of dingers would be broken. Yes, we’re talking about Wrigley Field…the Los Angeles version. The characteristics of Wrigley Field that made it a home run hitter's paradise are somewhat well known. The power alleys were approximately 345 feet from home plate, a very short distance. The distances to the foul poles were respectable, 338.5 feet to right and 340 feet to left. Straight away center field was 412 feet. However the fences were angled toward the infield 9.2 degrees in right and 9.5 degrees in left. Thus, the distance from the plate to the wall actually decreased slightly as you moved away from the foul lines. The minimum distance to the wall was 334.1 feet in right field and 335.4 feet in left. The fence height was 9 feet in right field and 14.5 feet in left field. In addition, there was very little foul territory. It was only 56 feet from home plate to the stands and the stands did not bow away from the field. The foul poles were near the seats. Another unique feature of Wrigley Field was that the light tower in center field was inside the field of play. The tower was screened to the top of the fence and a ball hit off the screening was in play.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=wrig...2F2009%2F06%2F07%2Fthe-baseball-tr%2F;720;571

https://www.google.ca/search?q=wrig...eball.com%2Fpast%2FLAWrigleyField.htm;490;389

Wrigley Field (Los Angeles) | SABR

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dead-Ball Era was in full swing in 1908 and featured a lot of high profile names in the NL… Honus Wagner, Christy Mathewson, Iron Man McGinnity, Joe Tinker and Johnny Evers, all HOF’ers to name a few. The most popular though, as selected by a Chicago newspaper survey on this date in 1908, was none of the above but Turkey Mike Donlin of the NY Giants. A flamboyant playboy and partygoer who dressed impeccably and always had a quip and a handshake for everyone he met, Donlin was "one of the most picturesque, most written-about, most likeable athletes that ever cut his mark on the big circuit." Donlin also could hit as well as anyone in baseball during the Dead-Ball Era. Though he rarely walked, the powerfully built 5' 9" left-hander was a masterful curveball hitter with power to all fields. His career slugging percentage of .468 compares favorably to better-known contemporary power hitters like Honus Wagner (.467) and Sam Crawford (.452), and his .333 lifetime batting average might have earned him a spot in the Hall of Fame had he sustained it over a full career. But Donlin was "not serious about the game," and his love of the bottle and frequent stints in Vaudeville limited him to the equivalent of only seven full seasons.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=turk...iki%2FFile%3AMike_Donlin_Baseball.jpg;454;366

Shibe Park, known later as Connie Mack Stadium, was home to the Philadelphia Athletics of the American League (AL) and the Philadelphia Phillies of the National League (NL). When it opened April 12, 1909, it became baseball's first steel-and-concrete stadium. Phillies Hall of Fame centerfielder, Richie Ashburn, remembered Shibe Park: "It looked like a ballpark. It smelled like a ballpark. It had a feeling and a heartbeat, a personality that was all baseball."
The ballpark was the site of some notable HR feats. On May 29, 1909, Frank "Home Run" Baker used his 52-ounce bat to hit the first home run in Shibe Park: 340 feet over the right field fence. Montreal Expos catcher John Bateman hit the last home run there on September 29, 1970, in the antepenultimate game played at the stadium. There’s an argument as the longest HR hit there. Some say it was by Babe Ruth on May 21, 1930 when he hit one to right field over the 12-foot wall that landed in Opal Street, the alley behind the second row of houses, over 500 feet distant. Others say it was the one hit on this date in 1932 when Jimmie Foxx hit one of his 58 that year over the top deck in leftfield. Ruth (1929) and Foxx (1940) were the first 2 sluggers to slam 500 career HRs so it’s it seems fitting it was one of them to hit the longest at Shibe Park. Foxx died on this date in 1967.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=shib...ofbaseball.com%2Fpast%2FShibePark.htm;800;630

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOry-QwOT0c

It was on this date in 1937 Rogers Hornsby is fired as the Manager of the St. Louis Browns for “just cause” in other words for betting on the ponies. It would be 16 years before he lands another job in the Majors but after being fired from the Browns Hornsby was unable to retire because he had lost so much money gambling over the years so he worked in the Minor Leagues wherever there was a job.

The Victoria Advocate - Google News Archive Search

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjn7Xmlo-QM

In 1943 and 1944 Lew Flick managed to play 20 games in the Majors and collect a total of 7 basehits in 40 at-bats. Otherwise his professional Baseball career from 1934 to 1951 was spent in the Minors and on this date in 1946 Flick playing for Little Rock (Southern Association) gets 9 straight hits in a 19-inning game. Flick gets 3 more hits in the 2nd game of the doubleheader. 1 day, 12 hits…not a bad day’s work.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=lew+...84046-gambo-t_wil1-photopack-355.html;360;540

It was on this date in 1970 Clay Kirby has a no-hitter going for 8 innings‚ but with 2 outs in the 8th and trailing 1-0‚ Padres manager Preston Gomez lifts him for a pinch hitter Cito Gaston. Gaston fails to get a hit off Mets' starter Jim McAndrew‚ and reliever Jack Baldschun gives up 2 runs in the 9th. The Padres lose 3-0.

July 21, 1970 New York Mets at San Diego Padres Play by Play and Box Score | Baseball-Reference.com

Moe Drawbowsky was born on this date in 1935. Moe who? Starting in 1956 he pitched 17 seasons in the Majors, mostly as a reliever. His performance in Game 1 of the 1966 World Series against the Dodgers in relief of Dave McNally is the single greatest relief performance I have ever seen. Apologies to any Dodger fan who might read this.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=moe+...es-moe-drabowsky-1966-world-series%2F;594;405

October 5, 1966 World Series Game 1, Orioles at Dodgers - Baseball-Reference.com

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can tell you that on this date in 1923 Washington's Walter Johnson notches his 3‚000th strikeout on the way to 3‚508. He fans 5 in beating Cleveland 3-1. He is the first to reach that milestone which now includes 15 others, 8 of whom have passed Johnson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE9D0oAyCC4

His MLB career was brief, all of 6 days in 1910 but Albert “Soldier” Carson did make it to the Majors with the Cubs. In 2 games he tossed 6 2/3 innings. In 1909 he won 29 games for the Portland Beavers and his efforts that season led to the Cubs turning their attention to him. It was on this date in 1909 he made history in the Pacific Coast League when he tossed a 10-inning No-Hitter over the Los Angeles Angels at Lucky Beaver Stadium in Portland…the first extra-inning No-Hitter in Pacific Coast League history.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=al+c...2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FAl_Carson;200;300

Ever hear of Mike Sandlock? He’s the oldest living ML’er at 98 years, 217 days. Yes, he’s retired and has been since 1953. Since it’s a bit of a slow day historically here’s a blurb on him.

Mike Sandlock Statistics and History | Baseball-Reference.com

They Were There: Mike Sandlock

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been 684 different Managers in the history of MLB. Connie Mack, unique among Managers spent 53 seasons at the helm of the Athletics (50 seasons) and the Pirates (3 seasons) and won 3,731 games. Aside from Mack the Manager to win the most games in the Majors was John McGraw who won 2,763 games over 33 seasons. Between 1904-1924 his Giants won 10 NL Pennants. It was on this date in 1902 he won his 1st game managing the Giants, a 4-1 win over Brooklyn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUR8jGjlZlI

Of Ray Grimes 6 ML seasons between 1920-1926 he played as a regular only two of those…the Chicago Cubs 1B in 1921 and 1922. Suffering a slipped disc while playing in 1923 limited his career thereafter. Too bad because he was a very good hitter…a .329 career Batting Average. On this date in 1922 he homers in Chicago's 4-1 win over the Dodgers‚ giving him at least one RBI per game for 17 in a row‚ a ML record that stands until this day. During the streak, Grimes drove in 27 runs and had 29 hits in 67 at-bats for a .433 batting average. He finished the 1922 season with 99 RBI, 99 runs, 45 doubles, 12 triples, 14 home runs, and hit .354, finishing as the runner-up in the National League batting title behind Rogers Hornsby’s .401.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=ray+...abr.org%2Fbioproj%2Fperson%2F679ca145;291;379

Pistol Pete Reiser, the toughest player to ever don a ML uniform, makes his ML debut at age 21 on this date in 1940 playing RF for the Brooklyn Dodgers. The following season he would win the NL Batting Crown with a Batting Average of .343.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=pete...%2F31-pete-reiser-50-greatest-dodgers;800;450

Dodger Hall of Famer Pee Wee Reese was born on this date in 1918. Teammate and fellow Hall of Famer Don Drysdale was born exactly 18 years later, on this date in 1936. Drysdale died in 1993, Reese in 1999.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTaGj_JQDrk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8cXwLg-Fug

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
‘Wild Bill’ Donovan (aka ‘Smiling Bill’ Donovan) was a hard-throwing and durable right hander who harnessed his lively curveball, volatile temper and busy social life well enough to become a 25-game winner first in the National League and later in the American. Genial and engaging Donovan was a fan favorite, though umpires frequently found cause to eject him. Regarded as a "slant ball artist" and a "big game pitcher," Donovan drew--and often won--key matchups during Detroit's run of three consecutive World Series appearances from 1907 to 1909. His 25-4 mark in 1907 was the best winning percentage in the Majors. His 18 year ML playing career ended in 1918 and for 3 seasons, 1915, 1916, and 1917 he was the playing-manager of the NY Yankees. He hung up the spikes just as the Dead-Ball Era was ending and immediately before the Black Sox season of 1919 which would impact on him.
After his playing career came to an end, Donovan became the Manager of the Jersey City team in the International League and led the Skeeters in 1919 and 1920. After two seasons at Jersey City, owner William Baker tabbed Donovan to manage the woeful Philadelphia Phillies in 1921. The team started slowly, and in mid-July, Wild Bill was summoned to Chicago to testify at the Black Sox trial. Baker suggested that because of his familiarity with many of the figures in the case, Donovan "knew too much" about the 1919 World Series fix, and on this date in 1922 he was fired as the Manager of the Phillies. But Wild Bill had been a favorite of Kenesaw Mountain Landis when he pitched for Detroit, and the new Commissioner, after an investigation, ordered Baker to apologize, and sent Donovan a letter that cleared him completely.
After being fired in Philadelphia he was hired as the Manager by New Haven in the Eastern League and led the team to an Eastern League pennant and a post-season win over International League champion Baltimore. Donovan piloted the New Haven squad again in 1923. In December, newspapers speculated that Clark Griffith would name Donovan Washington's manager during Baseball's winter meetings in Chicago. On Saturday, December 8, Wild Bill and George Weiss, New Haven owner and later a Hall of Fame executive with the Yankees, departed Grand Central Station aboard the Twentieth Century Limited, the New York Central Railroad's flagship fast train to the Windy City. The train was separated into three sections, each pulled by its own steam locomotive. During the evening, Donovan ate dinner with Phillies owner William Baker, NL President John Heydler and Cullen Cain, NL service bureau manager. Smiling Bill denounced the demise of curveball pitching, and invited them back to his compartment for a game of cards, but they declined. Donovan returned alone to his sleeping compartment in the forward part of the second section's final car, a Pullman observation-sleeper. Weiss, the younger man, had allowed Donovan the lower berth, and was already asleep in the top bunk. At 1:30 on the morning of December 9, in heavy fog and rain, the leading section of the Twentieth Century slammed into an abandoned automobile at a grade crossing at Forsyth, New York, 25 miles east of Erie, Pennsylvania. The second section of the train stopped behind the first to examine the damage and remove the burning automobile, while the lead section resumed its journey. The trailing third section, attempting to catch up, bore down on the second (which had not moved), and the veteran engineer ran through a series of stop signals and smashed into the back of the second section, telescoping and splitting the rear car. Donovan was killed instantly, one of nine people to die, and arguably the most famous person ever killed in an American train wreck. Weiss suffered a serious back injury and a lacerated thigh but survived.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=wild...l_personalities%2FWildBillDonovan.asp;300;375

It was on this date in 1983 the famous “Pine Tar Game” is played at Yankee Stadium. George Brett hits an apparent 2-run home run off Rich Gossage to give the Royals a 5-4 lead with 2 outs in the 9th inning‚ only to have it taken away when Yankees manager Billy Martin‚ at the urging of coach Don Zimmer‚ points out that the pine tar on Brett's bat handle exceeds the 17 inches allowed in the rules. As a result‚ Brett is called out for illegally batting the ball‚ giving New York a 4-3 victory. Brett goes ballistic, and that's an understatement, as the Royals immediately protest‚ and AL President Lee MacPhail overrules his umpires for the first time saying that‚ while the rules should certainly be rewritten and clarified‚ the home run will stand and the game will be resumed from that point on August 18th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrTYdlaqtxE

Kenny Lofton collected 2,428 basehits over the course of his career and had a career batting average of .299 so he knew a little bit about hitting. He also knew a little something about stealing a base as he swiped over 600 in his career and was the SB leader in the AL for 5 consecutive seasons. Because of his ability to hit and his speed he likely beat out more than his fair share of infield hits in his time. However, no one can escape a bad day once in a while and Lofton must have thought he had one when playing for the NY Yankees and leading off in a game in 2004 he went 0 for 5 in around the horn fashion. He grounded out to 1B, 2B, SS, 3B and the P. Yikes!

Kenny Lofton

The most lifetime home runs by one batter off of one pitcher is 19 and involves two Hall of Famers. That's how many Duke Snider hit off of Robin Roberts.

Duke Snider Career Home Runs | Baseball-Reference.com

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On this date in 1922 the New York Yankees belt each other around in several pre-game fights in St. Louis while there to play the Browns. The primary fisticuffs are between Bob Meusel and Wally Schang who duke it out in the dugout. Then Babe Ruth and Wally Pipp take a turn at each other. The players then turn on the Browns‚ beating them 11-6. Ruth bangs two homers‚ Pipp drives in the winning run‚ and Schang chips in with a two-run triple and a double. I guess that one way to get the juices flowing.

July 26, 1922 New York Yankees at St. Louis Browns Play by Play and Box Score | Baseball-Reference.com

The last ML’er to steal Home twice in one game was Vic Power back in 1958, 56 years ago. In the NL it hasn’t been done since the year Babe Ruth hit 60 HRs…1927, by Doc Gautreau of the Boston Braves who was born on this date in 1901. The AL and ML record for stealing Home is held by none other than Ty Cobb who pulled it off 54 times. The NL record is held by HOF'er Max Carey with 33. His 33rd and last steal of Home was on this date in in 1927, obviously a year stealing home was more common than it is today.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=doc+...2F%2Fwww.vebidoo.de%2Fandy%2Bpiechota;640;800

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsapLEAn7lg

Hall of Famer, Carl Hubbell makes his ML debut on this date in 1928 pitching against the Pittsburgh Pirates at the Polo Grounds. His mound opponent that day was another future Hall of Famer, Burleigh Grimes whose best years were with Brooklyn but in 1928 he would lead the NL with 25 Wins pitching for the Pirates. Grimes must have said something like, ‘not on my watch kid’ as the Pirates beat the Giants 7-5…Grimes the WP and Hubbell the LP. There were 9 future HOF'ers who played in that game plus Lefty O'Doul who should be the 10th.

July 26, 1928 Pittsburgh Pirates at New York Giants Play by Play and Box Score | Baseball-Reference.com

Joe DiMaggio’s 61 game hitting streak in the Pacific Coast League is stopped on this date in 1933. DiMaggio, an 18 year old rookie is stopped by Ed Walsh‚ Jr. of the Oakland Oaks. DiMaggio's streak breaks the Pacific Coast League’s mark of 49‚ set by Jack Ness in 1915. DiMaggio hit .405 (104-for-257) during the skein.

The American Experience | Joe DiMaggio: A Hero's Life | People & Events | DiMaggio’s 61-Game Hitting Streak, Pacific Coast League

It was on this date in 1936 Umpire Bill Summers is forced out the game after he hit in the groin by a pop bottle thrown from an unruly crowd of 50‚000 at Comiskey Park…ouch! The crowd is upset with an out call at 1B on Ray Radcliff in the 8th of the nitecap. Judge Landis‚ on hand to watch the game‚ offers a $5‚000 reward over the PA system for the culprit‚ but only draws more boos. The deluge of pop bottles finally abates when Jimmy Dykes ( player-manager of the White Sox ) pleads through the field amplifier.

Baseball: Upton's Bill Summers was one baseball's best umpires - Worcester Telegram & Gazette - telegram.com

Ernie White’s career as a ML pitcher was spread over 7 seasons during the 1940’s. It was shortened by arm problems and three years of military service, nevertheless, he made his mark on the Game. On this date in 1941 the Cardinal’s White wins his 4th game in 5 days‚ a 20th century ML record‚ stopping the Braves‚ 9-2. His other wins‚ all in relief‚ were over the Giants on July 22‚ 23‚ and 24‚ also a record. His lone World Series appearance was against the Yankees in 1942 when he became the first pitcher to shutout the Yankees in the World Series…a 6-0 win in Game 3 in a Series the Cardinals won 4 games to 1. World War II took its toll on MLB and its players. It was while fighting overseas during the Battle of the Bulge that Corporal Ernie White “was pinned down in icy water for a day” and -- perhaps as a result -- ultimately was the cause of him losing his fastball.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=erni...ndom-photo-colorizations-cards-6.html;350;525

On this date in 1948, Babe Ruth makes his last public appearance at the New York premiere of the film The Babe Ruth Story. He will die 3 weeks later.

Babe Ruth: Color Photos of the Yankees Legend | LIFE.com

Ellis “Old Folks” Kinder was born on this date in 1914, 100 years ago today. Long since forgotten he is the of the best pitchers to have ever worn a Boston Red Sox uniform. He didn’t make his ML debut until he was almost 32 (1946) but once he arrived he made the most of his time winning as many as 23 games in a season and going 102-71 in his career.
In January 1956, a few months after Kinder had been sold by the Boston Red Sox to the St. Louis Cardinals after eight years in the Hub, his friends threw him an Appreciation Night at Boston’s Sheraton Plaza Hotel. In attendance were the governor, the mayor, several former teammates, and 600 assorted guests. Birdie Tebbetts, who had caught Kinder in the late 1940s and was then managing the Cincinnati Reds, served as toastmaster. Birdie had caught Hal Newhouser and Dizzy Trout in Detroit, Mel Parnell in Boston, and Bob Lemon, Early Wynn, and a late-career Bob Feller in Cleveland, but he told the gathered throng that he never caught a better pitcher than Kinder.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=elli...nder-rhp-100-greatest-red-sox-players;800;450

HOF’er Hoyt Wilhelm was born on this date in 1922. He was pushing 30 when he made his ML debut and like Kinder he made the most of it once he arrived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwUCbosPayM

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was on this date in 1875 the first No-Hitter was tossed in MLB history. Joe Borden (aka, Joe Josephs) of the Philadelphia White Stockings of the National Association pitches the gem‚ beating the Chicago White Stockings‚ 4-0. Nick Young is the ump in the game‚ which takes one hour and 35 minutes to play. When the NA folded after the 1875 season, Borden signed a three-year contract with the Boston Red Caps. On April 22, 1876, Borden and the Red Caps were victorious in the first National League game ever played. Later that season, on May 23, he pitched a shutout, which some historians claim was the first no-hitter in MLB and not the game the previous year. Known for having an eccentric personality, he played under different surnames, such as Josephs and Nedrob ( Borden spelled backwards ), so as to disguise his involvement in baseball; his prominent family would have disapproved had they known. After he was released from the Red Caps as a player during the first season of his contract, he worked for a short period of time as their groundskeeper until he and the owner agreed to a buyout of the remainder of his contract. Little is known about his post-baseball life.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=joe+...2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FJoe_Borden;90;135

If you are one to travel to Hawaii you may have been there for this game. It was on this date in 1883 the first recorded baseball game in Hawaii takes place as the Honolulu Club wins over the Oceanic Club‚ 14-13.

Baseball in the islands - Hawaii's Significance To The Game

It was on this date in 1888 Jimmy Ryan hits 2 triples‚ a single‚ double and a HR and pitches 7 innings in relief to lead the Chicago Colts ( Cubs ) to a 21-17 slugfest over Detroit making Ryan the first player to hit for the cycle and pitch in the same game.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=jimm...thread.php%3F70636-Jimmy-Ryan-Thread;1162;651

HOF’er Mickey Welch the Major’s 3rd 300-game winner, wins his 300th game on this date in 1890. When he batted for teammate Hank O'Day in the bottom of the fifth inning on Aug. 10, 1889, he became the first Major League pinch-hitter ever.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=mick...-499-2-Baseball-Card-Value-Prices.htm;250;386

When Stan Musial retired in 1963 only a handful of ML’ers had hit more career HRs than his 475. That list consisted of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Ted Williams, Mel Ott and Jimmie Foxx. In the 50 years since his retirement a couple of dozen players have flown past him. When he retired only one player…Ty Cobb had more career hits and in the 50 years since only two, Willie Mays and Hank Aaron have passed him in that category. Musial combined the ability to hit and to hit with power that few others could match. What made Musial almost unique was his ability to hit, to hit with power and to seldom strike out. That is what they say made for his greatness. There were others like Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio and Ted Kluzewski of his generation who could say the same but few today. In his first MVP season, 1943 he came to the plate 700 times and struck out 18 times. In his first 20 seasons in the Majors he never struck out more than 40 times in any one season. That didn’t happen until 1962 and 1963, his final two seasons when he was north of 40 years old. It was on this date in 1963 that Chicago Cubs pitcher, Dick Ellsworth, strikes out Musial 3 times in a game played at Wrigley Field. Koufax, who Musial hit at a .342 clip, couldn’t manage that striking him out only 5 times in 38 At-bats. Musial’s 3-strikeout game was the only one of his career.

July 28, 1963 St. Louis Cardinals at Chicago Cubs Box Score and Play by Play | Baseball-Reference.com

O.K. this happened only 12 years ago so it really hasn’t made it into the ‘history’ vault yet but because The Wizard of Oz came out in 1939 we’ll let it slide. It was on this date in 2002 during his induction speech at the Hall of Fame ceremonies in Cooperstown, with the song 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' playing in the background and with a copy of 'The Wizard of Oz' in his hands, Ozzie Smith compares his baseball career to Dorothy's away trip from Kansas. Citing the recipe for his success during his 19-year career with the Cardinals and Padres, the 47-year-old tells the crowd he had the mind to dream, which the Scarecrow cherished, a heart to believe, which the Tin Man wanted, and courage to persevere, which the Lion lacked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxIuovnpUXg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkZcYMy85lY

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you ever heard of Harry Clay Pullinam…chances are you haven’t. He was born in 1869 in Kentucky and was the 6th President of the National League from 1903 to his untimely death on this date in 1909 at the age of 40. He presided over the NL in the period in which the National League and the fledgling American League settled their hostilities and formed a National Agreement which led to the creation of the World Series.
His most controversial decision came late in the 1908 season, following a game between the New York Giants and Chicago Cubs in which Giants first baseman Fred Merkle (at 19 the youngest player in the major leagues), standing on first base, saw his team score a run to win the game and became so excited that he failed to step on second base, thus nullifying the run and leaving the game tied. The excited spectators ran onto the field in joy, thinking the Giants had won. Home plate umpire Hank O'Day deemed it impossible to restore order on the field to resume the game, and ruled that the run did not count. Due to darkness, the game was declared a tie. His decision was submitted to the league president, Pulliam, who agreed with the umpire. The game was later replayed (due to the Giants and Cubs finishing the season with identical records atop the National League), with the Cubs winning to capture the pennant. They went on to win the World Series that year, and Merkle has been blamed for the loss ever since.
It has been written that the pressure of the 1908 decision resulted in Pulliam taking several months off, and his discussion of retirement. One evening after returning to his old job, he sat in his office in the New York Athletic Club (where he lived) and shot himself once in the head. He died a day later at 40 years of age. Baseball was halted in both the American and National Leagues for the first time in Baseball history on the day he was buried. A special baseball card was created in his honor and distributed at the World Series. He was the first person honoured by Baseball with all players wearing arm bands for 30 days.

Cerebro | HARRY PULLIAM | Original Antique Label Art - Cerebro

Smoky Joe Wood's reign as one of the most dominating pitchers in Baseball history lasted a brief two seasons, but it left an indelible impression on those who witnessed his greatness first-hand. "Without a doubt," Ty Cobb later recalled, "Joe Wood was one of the best pitchers I ever faced throughout my entire career." In 1911 and 1912, Smoky Joe Wood won 57 games for the Boston Red Sox, including a No-Hitter against the St. Louis Browns on this date in 1911, and an American League record-tying 16 straight wins in the second half of the 1912 campaign. He earned the nickname "Smoky Joe" because of his blazing fastball. Wood once said, "I threw so hard I thought my arm would fly right off my body." It was in 1913 Wood slipped on wet grass while fielding a bunt in a game against the Detroit Tigers. He fell and broke his thumb, and pitched in pain for the following three seasons. Although he maintained a winning record and a low ERA, his appearances were limited, as he could no longer recover quickly from pitching a game. Wood sat out the 1916 season and most of the 1917 season, and for all intents and purposes ended his pitching career.
Wood went on to become head Baseball coach at Yale University, where he compiled a career managing record of 283–228–1 over 20 seasons. While at Yale, he coached his son Joe, who pitched briefly for the 1944 Red Sox. Decades later, in 1981, Wood was present at a historic pitcher's duel between Yale University and Saint John's University, featuring future major leaguers Ron Darling and Frank Viola. Darling threw 11 no-hit innings for Yale, matched by Viola's 11 shutout innings for St. John's. Wood, sitting in the stands, recalled Ty Cobb and said, "A lot of fellows in my time shortened up on the bat when they had to--that's what the St. John's boys should try against this good pitcher." Darling lost the no-hitter and the game in the 12th, and Wood called it the best baseball game he had ever seen. The account was recorded in Roger Angell's 1982 book Late Innings, and, later, in the anthology Game Time: A Baseball Companion. In 1981, Lawrence Ritter and Donald Honig included him in their book The 100 Greatest Baseball Players of All Time. They explained what they called "the Smoky Joe Wood Syndrome," where a player of truly exceptional talent but a career curtailed by injury should still, in spite of not having had career statistics that would quantitatively rank him with the all-time greats, be included on their list of the 100 greatest players. Wood was also interviewed for Ritter's famous book, The Glory of Their Times.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=smok...baseball-books-for-april-13-day-13%2F;641;521

It was on this date in 1951 Willie Mays steals the first of the 338 he would in his career and then gets promptly picked off 2nd Base. In the past 100 years only six players have led the NL in Steals 4 seasons in a row…Max Carey, Lou Brock, Vince Coleman, Maury Wills, Tim Raines and Willie Mays.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=will...lery%2F_%2Fid%2F6481675%2Fwillie-mays;800;450

It was on this date in 1996 Tommy Lasorda announces his retirement. Lasorda‚ who underwent an angioplasty earlier in the year after suffering a heart attack‚ will become a team vice president and Bill Russell is named Manager.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptIhdXe2hhQ

Pitchers have to be so careful about line drives back through the box and almost always the concern is getting in the head. Earl "Crossfire" Moore born on this date in 1877 and all but forgotten about today saw his career pretty much derailed on a drive back through the box in 190 but it hit him as far from the head as you can get…the foot.
Moore was nicknamed for his unorthodox method of shooting a sidearm pitch from the very end of the rubber--ranked as one of the American League's most promising young players during the first five years of its existence. Six feet tall, square-jawed, and with his cap pushed low over his eyes, Moore cut a striking figure on the mound, and he answered to an assortment of nicknames. When he racked up 79 victories by the age of 28-- at times out-dueling Cy Young, Rube Waddell, Jack Chesbro, Chief Bender, and Eddie Plank--Earl appeared poised for greatness. But a drive through the box on an afternoon late in 1905 tore apart Moore's left foot. Though the injury so debilitated him that he managed only six big-league victories over the next three seasons, it would not be the end for the self-proclaimed "Steam Engine in Boots." After regaining his form in the minors, Earl became an 18- and 22-game winner for the Philadelphia Phillies staff in 1909 and 1910, respectively, before tapering off and finishing with the Federal League in 1914.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=earl...2Flibrary_of_congress%2F2679040041%2F;463;640

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was on this date in 1959 Willie McCovey sends a message to future Hall of Famer Robin Roberts, the Philadelphia Phillies, the National league and to Cooperstown when, in his ML debut, he goes 4-for-4 with 2 triples off Robin Roberts to lead the Giants to a 7-2 win over the Phils.

July 30, 1959 Philadelphia Phillies at San Francisco Giants Box Score and Play by Play | Baseball-Reference.com

Art Mahaffey’s ML career began on this date in 1960 and ended a scant six years later in 1966. Except for 12 games his entire ML career was spent pitching for the Philadelphia Phillies. His career, albeit short was memorable. Mahaffey had an unusually effective pickoff move. Called up to the Phillies in 1960, he vowed to pick off the first runner to get on base against him. He did better than that…he picked off his first three: the Cardinals' Curt Flood and Bill White during one relief appearance, and the Giants' Jim Marshall in the next. On April 23, 1961 in his first full season in the Majors, Mahaffey fanned 17 Cubs (winning 6-0) to tie the since-broken NL record for strikeouts in a day game. It remains, to this day, the single game record for the most strikeouts by a Phillies pitcher…take that Steve Carlton, Robin Roberts, Pete Alexander, Curt Schilling and Jim Bunning.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=art+...rakov.net%2Fsi%2Findex.php%3Fy%3D1963;442;575

Gary Peters, the ace of the mid 1960’s Chicago White Sox, was arguably the best pitcher in the AL for the five seasons, 1963-1967. Not only was he good he was efficient and on this date in 1966 he shutouts the NY Yankees, 6-0…facing just 29 batters tossing just 75 pitches. His 1.98 ERA that season would be topped by only one ML pitcher, someone named Koufax who pitched for the Dodgers…I think.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=gary...63_n_l__and_a_l__rook-lot102472.aspx;800;1005

It was on this date in 1980, J.R. Richard, attempting to throw for the first time since being hospitalized for tests a week earlier suffers a stroke and is rushed to Houston's Methodist Hospital for emergency surgery to remove a life-threatening blood clot in his neck. He will never pitch in the Majors again. On the 11th anniversary of Richard’s stroke, on this date in 1991 Boston relief pitcher Jeff Gray collapses in the clubhouse prior to the Red Sox game with Texas. He becomes lightheaded‚ his speech slurs‚ and he suffers weakness in the right side of his body. Diagnosed as suffering from a stroke‚ Gray will undergo 2 years of rehab and‚ in 1994‚ become a Minor League pitching coach.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=jr+r...%2F06%2Fretire_jr_richards_number.php;640;452

https://www.google.ca/search?q=jeff...2Fplayers%2Fplayer.php%3Fp%3Dgrayje01;224;310

Hall of Famer Casey Stengel was born on this date in 1890. A quote master extraordinaire the following are just a small sample of his fractured phrases:

“All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height.”
“The Mets have shown me more ways to lose than I even knew existed.”
“Good pitching will always stop good hitting and vice-versa.”
“Son, we'd like to keep you around this season but we're going to try and win a pennant.”
"Don't cut my throat, I may want to do that later myself."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiuaxGUXRNA

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was on this date in 1869 the Cincinnati Red Stockings whip the Rockford Forest Citys‚ 53-32‚ before a crowd of 8‚000. It was the dawn of ‘professional’ baseball and the Cincinnati ball club was exhibiting their dominance. Chicago was watching.
On August 12, 1833, the Town of Chicago was organized with a population of around 200. During its first 100 years, Chicago was one of the fastest-growing cities in the World. When founded in 1833 Chicago was on the leading edge of the American frontier. By the time of its first census, seven years later, the population had reached over 4,000. Within the span of forty years, the city's population grew from slightly under 30,000 in 1850 to over 1 million by 1890. By the close of the 19th century, Chicago was the fifth largest city in the world, and the largest of the cities that did not exist at the dawn of the century. Within sixty years of the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, the population went from about 300,000 to over 3 million, and reached its highest ever-recorded population of 3.6 million for the 1950 census.
Just as Chicago was a bellwether (one that leads or indicates trends) for the colonization of the American West it was also a bellwether for Baseball and that makes perfect sense because in its simplest, or perhaps most complicated of definitions, Baseball is America. However, that’s a discussion for another day which could only be led by our learned friend, 4thefences. Part of the reason that Chicago became a leader in the explosion of interest in the Grand Old Game during the latter part of the 19th Century was rooted 300 miles to the southeast…the “upstart” Cincinnati Red Stockings, the first professional baseball team that was formed in 1866. In 1869 the Cincinnati Red Stockings earned gate receipts totaling $29,726.26 against disbursements of $29,724.87 in salaries and expenses leaving a net profit of $1.39. The citizens of Cincinnati really didn’t care about the finances of their team, they just loved their team and the fame it brought to their city.
Chicago and its 299,000 citizens were annoyed with Cincinnati, a city they referred to as “Porkopolis” and the success their Baseball team and intended to do something about it and show their 216,000 citizens that not every second-rate village could carry away the honours in baseball. The Chicago White Stockings (Cubs) were formed in 1870, with no expenses spared ($20,000.00) to rival the Cincinnati team and was a founding member of the all-professional, National Association ( N.A. ) in 1871. Alas, the Cincinnati Red Stockings would not survive after the 1870 season as the team became too expensive to operate. The core of the team moved to Boston and in 1871 played in the National Association as the Boston Red Stockings ( later the Boston, Milwaukee and now Atlanta Braves ). Meanwhile the by 1875, the National Association was dangerously weak. It suffered from a lack of strong authority over clubs, unsupervised scheduling, unstable membership, dominance by one team (the Boston Red Stockings), and an extremely low entry fee ( $10; about $194.00 in 2014 dollars ) that gave clubs no incentive to abide by League rules when it was not convenient. William Hulbert, a Chicago businessman and an officer of the Chicago White Stockings, approached several N.A. clubs with the plans for a League with stronger central authority and exclusive territories in larger cities only. Additionally, Hulbert had a problem—five of his star players were threatened with expulsion from the N.A. because Hulbert had signed them to his club using what were considered questionable means. Hulbert had a great vested interest in creating his own League. After recruiting St. Louis privately, four western clubs met in Louisville, Kentucky, in January 1876. With Hulbert speaking for the four in New York City on February 2, 1876, the National League was established with eight charter members…Chicago White Stockings, Philadelphia Athletics, Hartford Dark Blues, Boston Red Stockings, St. Louis Brown Stockings, Cincinnati Red Stockings, Louisville Grays and Mutual of New York.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=cinc...-the-1869-cincinnati-red-stockings%2F;518;319

https://www.google.ca/search?q=1871...rivia-heres-a-fun-question-for-you%2F;550;377

Hall of Fame pitcher, Waite Hoyt, 19 years old, makes his first ML start on this date in 1919 for the Boston Red Sox and defeats the Detroit Tigers, 2-1. His ML debut starting assignment is precipitated by the Red Sox trading a disgruntled Carl Mays to the Yankees two days before. A replacement for Mays is needed and Hoyt is called upon. Ironically, the following year Hoyt would follow Mays to the Yankees and after 21 seasons, 237 Wins and 7 World Series Hoyt would make his way to Cooperstown and the HOF.
Perhaps the most disliked player of his era, Carl Mays was once described by F.C. Lane as “a strange, cynical figure” who “aroused more ill will, more positive resentment than any other ballplayer on record.” A noted headhunter even before throwing the pitch that led to the death of Cleveland shortstop Ray Chapman in August of 1920. Mays refused to apologize for how he pitched. Things went downhill for Mays in 1919. While he was at spring training, his farm house in Missouri burned to the ground; he suspected arson. During a Decoration Day series in Philadelphia, when Athletics fans were pounding on the roof of the visitors’ dugout, Mays threw a baseball into the stands, hitting a fan in the head. He also ran into a lengthy streak of bad luck on the mound, as the slumping Red Sox gave him almost no run support. Over a 15-day period in June, Mays lost three games by a combined score of 8-0. The last straw came on July 13, during a game against the White Sox. When Eddie Collins tried to steal second base, catcher Wally Schang’s throw hit Mays in the head. At the end of the inning, the pitcher stormed off the mound, left the team and headed back to Boston. Mays told sportswriter Burt Whitman that he needed to make a fresh start with another team. He got his wish when traded to the Yankees which began the exodus of Red Sox players to the Yankees including Ruth and Hoyt.
Hoyt and Ruth were teammates on 6 World Series Yankee teams in the 1920s. Hoyt, who worked as an undertaker, in the off-season and after his playing days was the play-by-play voice of the Cincinnati Reds for 24 years. He is also remembered for his tribute to Babe Ruth. On the day Ruth died, August 16, 1948, Hoyt paid tribute to the Babe speaking on the air without notes for two hours upon learning of his death after a game. He was well known as the pre-eminent authority on Babe Ruth.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=wait...%2F%2Fwww.lonecadaver.com%2FHoyt.html;500;393

https://www.google.ca/search?q=carl...storical-Archival-Photographs%2Fpage5;717;472

It was on this date in 1932 the (then) largest crowd to watch a baseball game takes in the Indians first game in new Municipal Stadium before a crowd of 80‚184. There was never a HR hit to the centrefield bleachers, a mere 470' from home plate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wg2jdUy-Kg

It was on this date in 1954 using a borrowed bat‚ Dodger killer Joe Adcock hits 4 HRs‚ off 4 different pitchers‚ and a double for 18 total bases in the Braves' 15-7 victory at Ebbets Field. The bat belonged to Charlie White, the Braves back-up catcher and the heaviest bat used on the team…Adcock claimed he could hardly pick it up it was so heavy. White hit 1 HR in his ML career.

The Spokesman-Review - Google News Archive Search

https://www.google.ca/search?q=joe+...e.com%2F2013%2F04%2F04%2Fyu-da-man%2F;600;350

Here’s an unusual postponement…on this date in 1960 a game between Memphis and Chattanooga (Southern Association) is postponed because the 94-degree weather is too much… for the spectators in Memphis's roofless Tobey Field. Tobey Field was a city park field used as a substitute field in 1960 after Russwood Park, a 10,000 seat baseball park built in 1896, and a relic, constructed primarily of wood burned to the ground earlier in the year.

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was on this date in 1948 Satchel Paige makes his ML debut as a starter pitching for Cleveland 22 years after his professional debut and outduels another future Hall of Famer, Early Wynn of the Senators, 5-3. 72, 434 fans were in attendance at Cleveland and the win propelled the Indians into a 4-way tie in the AL with Boston, New York and Philadelphia. The race would come down to a play-off between the Red Sox and Indians. In a 1 game play-off at Fenway Park the Indians would win the AL Pennant with an 8-3 win. Paige, the 41 year old rookie wins a WS Ring as the Indians defeat the Braves 4 games to 2.

August 3, 1948 Washington Senators at Cleveland Indians Play by Play and Box Score | Baseball-Reference.com

https://www.google.ca/search?q=satc...abr.org%2Fbioproj%2Fperson%2Fc33afddd;376;504

Here’s class…on this date in 1957 Bobby Bragan hears on the radio he has been fired as the Pirates' manager and replaced by Philadelphia third base coach Danny Murtaugh. Pittsburgh General Manager Joe L. Brown leaked news of the hiring before informing his disposed skipper.

Baseball in Wartime - Bobby Bragan

https://www.google.ca/search?q=bobb...way-in-time-for-silver-boot-series%2F;982;722

https://www.google.ca/search?q=bobb...manager-of-the-hollywood-stars-o.html;574;640

Has the Grand Old Game changed? Today the Baltimore Orioles defeated the Seattle Mariners 1-0 in a game that featured 1 run and 9 basehits and took 2:33 to play. On this date in 1961 the Pirates beat the Cardinals at Sportsman's Park, 19-0 in a game that featured 19 runs and 28 basehits and took 2:36 to play.

August 3, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates at St. Louis Cardinals Box Score and Play by Play | Baseball-Reference.com

It was on this date in 1979 Tony La Russa manages his first of 5,097 ML games…an 8-5 win over the Toronto Blue Jays in Toronto.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=tony...a-russa-through-the-years%2Fslide%2F2;716;600

HOF’er Harry Heilmann was born on this date in 1894. One of the greatest hitters the game has ever seen and likely the greatest hitter no one remembers because he played in the shadows of so many greats. He won 4 American League Batting Crowns during the 1920s and is with an average of .403 in 1923 he and Ted Williams are the last two AL’ ers to hit .400. His career BA of .342 ranks tied for 9th overall. In 1933, Heilmann launched the second half of his career in baseball. He became the radio broadcaster for the Tigers, where he remained for seventeen years. He was the first former player to ever become a play-by-play broadcaster when he was hired by WXYZ (now WXYT) radio in Detroit. Fans were captivated as Heilmann delivered the current action on the field to their homes while giving them a glimpse of baseball during his playing days with stories of Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb. It wasn’t an easy career jump. He took public speaking classes and had to learn to read the ticker tape since radio announcers did not broadcast from away games in those days. He used his imagination to make the game interesting and build excitement for those away games, where messages he received might simply say, “single to left.” During Spring Training in 1951 he was diagnosed with cancer and died in July of that year one year before he was selected to the Hall Of Fame.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=harr...wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FHarry_Heilmann;422;511

https://www.google.ca/search?q=harr...returned-broadcasting-booth-tigers%2F;500;400

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was on this date in 1945 the Washington Senators are hosting the Boston Red Sox in the 2nd game of a doubleheader at Griffith Stadium after Wally Holborow shuts out the Bosox in the 1st game on a 2-hit Shutout. It was Holborow’s only start and win of the season. The Red Sox are not to be denied in the 2nd game as they beat the Senators 15-4 although they are outhit in the game. Tom McBride, playing LF for the Red Sox enters the 4th inning of Game 2 with 20 RBIs on the season. Before the inning is over he will have 26 RBIs for the season by driving in a ML-record tying 6 runs in the inning. He twice comes to the plate with the bases loaded and clears them both times first with a double and then with a triple…not a bad inning’s production for anyone. The triple is off the second pitcher of the inning, Joe Cleary. The Sox bat around against Cleary‚ who gives up 7 runs on 5 hits and 3 walks. For Cleary‚ who is the last Major Leaguer born in Ireland‚ it’s his ML debut. He gets but one out‚ on a strikeout‚ in his only ML appearance and he'll finish with a lifetime ERA of 189.00. Wait… I’m not finished. Cleary was relieved in the inning by Bert Shepard, who was also playing in his only Major League game. Shepard is notable as the only one-legged player in Major League history. Shepard, a journeyman Minor League pitcher, had his right leg amputated after his fighter plane crashed in Germany, he was the only person that believed he would ever play professional baseball again. Through sheer self-belief and determination, the gutsy left-hander taught himself to walk and then to pitch with an artificial leg -- all within the confines of a POW camp in Germany. And, people say Baseball is just a game.

August 4, 1945 Boston Red Sox at Washington Senators Box Score and Play by Play | Baseball-Reference.com

Friends of Warren Ballpark - Bert Shepard - A True Hero

It was on this date in 1948 HOF’er (Broadcaster’s Wing) Ernie Harwell broadcasts his first MLB game…not for the Detroit Tigers where he spent 42 of his 55 years broadcasting MLB games but for the Brooklyn Dodgers. In 1948, Harwell became the only announcer in baseball history to be traded for a player when the Brooklyn’s GM, Branch Rickey, traded catcher Cliff Dapper to the Atlanta Crackers in exchange for breaking Harwell's broadcasting contract. Harwell was brought to Brooklyn to substitute for regular Dodger announcer Red Barber, who was hospitalized with a bleeding ulcer. Harwell broadcast for the Dodgers through 1949, the New York Giants from 1950–1953 and the Baltimore Orioles from 1954–1959. In 1960 he started with the Tigers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uobC_swFT2E

It was on this date in 1982 OF’er Joel Youngblood becomes the first ML player ever to play for 2 different teams in 2 different cities on the same day‚ and collects a hit in each game and both hits off HOF pitchers. After going 1-for-2 off Fergie Jenkins in an afternoon game at Wrigley Field‚ a 7-4 Mets win‚ Youngblood is traded from the Mets to the Expos and flies to Philadelphia in time to enter the game that night in the 6th inning‚ going 1-for-1 off Steve Carlton. The Phils beat the Expos‚ 5-4.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=joel...s.com%2Fshow_item.asp%3FSubCatID%3D92;320;449

Luke Easter was born on this date in 1915. Luke played only 3 full seasons in the Majors 1950-1952…delayed until he was in his mid-30s because he was black, but productive seasons they were averaging 29 HRs and 102 RBIs. One of my favourite Baseball photos is of Easter, while playing with San Diego in the Pacific Coast League in 1963, showing teammates the fine art of playing 1st Base. The picture is the 3rd in the series as you scroll down the page.

I Love The Old Pacific Coast League. | ninety feet of perfection.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RyanVentura_wj0xniob.gif

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdyeWgsa_R8]Nolan Ryan and Robin Ventura confrontation. FIGHT 1993 - YouTube[/ame]

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On this date in 1894 during its first full season as home to the Cubs (by then known as the Colts), West Side Park suffered severe damage from fire during a game against the Cincinnati Reds. As the fire spread through the first-base side stands hundreds are injured as the 10‚000 fans stampede‚ tearing down barbed wire fencing that had been put up to prevent the 25-cent bleacher fans from mobbing the umpire. Players, Jimmy Ryan and Walt Wilmot help rescue hundreds by hacking down a section of the barbed wire fence with baseball bats which allows fans to escape onto the field. The burnt stands were simply roped off, and the season resumed the next day, with the burnt area fenced off, and the spectators sitting on the left side of the diamond. Despite that near-disaster, the club rebuilt the park out of wood.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=west...wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FWest_Side_Park;618;439

On this date in 1921 the first radio broadcast of a ML game is heard over KDKA in Pittsburgh when Harold Arlin announces the Pirates-Phils game. The Pirates score 3 runs in the 8th inning‚ beating the Phils 8-5. Arlin, also broadcast the first football game between Pittsburgh and West Virginia. His grandson, Steve Arlin, will pitch for the future San Diego Padres and follow his Baseball career with one as a dentist.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=haro...F4img%2Fdetails.php%3Fimage_id%3D5638;692;486

Not Bill Russell, nor Pee Wee Reese, Gil Hodges, Jim Gilliam or anyone else you wish to name other than Zack Wheat holds the Dodger record for Games Played, At Bats, or Basehits. No one comes close to the Hall of Famer. For example…Wheat’s 2,804 hits is 634 more than Pee Wee Reese’s 2,170 which ranks second. He played 18 of his 19 ML seasons with the Dodgers from 1909 to 1926. Unlike most Deadball Era hitters, he held his hands way down by the knob of the bat, refusing to choke up. He was an outstanding first-ball hitter, and he was also so renowned as a curveball hitter that John McGraw reportedly had a standing order prohibiting his pitchers from throwing him benders. But even after years of hitting .300, and a lifetime BA of .317 it was Wheat's stylish defense that won him the most admirers. "What Lajoie was to infielders, Zach Wheat is to outfielders, the finest mechanical craftsman of them all," Baseball Magazine crowed in 1917. "Wheat is the easiest, most graceful of outfielders with no close rivals." An extremely fast runner, Zack was as close to a five-tool player as anyone of his era. His only weaknesses were his poor base-stealing ability and proneness to injury (his tiny size 5 feet frequently caused nagging ankle injuries). It was on this date in 1926 Wheat‚ in his 18th and last season for Brooklyn‚ connects for his final Dodger HR but collapses near 2B as his injured leg gives out. The future Hall of Famer refuses a pinch runner and‚ after several minutes‚ limps around to home plate.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=zack...om%2Fcollection%2Fkdixon%2Fcards%2F20;900;576

Fred “Cactus” Johnson’s ML career began in 1922 with the NY Giants and ended 17 years later in 1939 with the St. Louis Browns. In that 17 year span he pitched in a total of 27 games with a record of 5-10. On this date in 1938 he pitched a complete game Win, as the Browns beat the Indians, 9-2. It was his first Win in the Majors since 1923, 15 years earlier. In between he won over 200 games in the Minors.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=fred...Ffg.cgi%3Fpage%3Dgr%26GRid%3D52609388;250;307

On this date in 1949 White Sox veteran and future HOF’er Luke Appling appears in his 2‚154th game as a shortstop‚ surpassing Rabbit Maranville's ML mark. Appling will finish with 2‚218. Appling has since been passed by six others…Larry Bowa, Cal Ripken, Ozzie Smith, Luis Aparicio, Derek Jeter and the man Jeter will not catch…Omar Vizquel with 2,709.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJZQiSQRZsc

In 2001 the Seattle Mariners won a gazillion games…well, 116 games. Their win total tied the 1906 Chicago Cubs for the most Wins in a ML season. Their record that season was 116-46 for a Winning % of .716 while the Cubs in 1906 was better at 116-36, .763. It was on this date in 2001 when the Mariners lost their best chance at 117 Wins when they jumped to a 12-0 lead over the Cleveland Indians and took a 14-2 lead into the 7th inning. Yes, Cleveland scored 3e in the 7th, 4 in the 8th and 5 in the bottom of the 9th to tie the game and then scored a single run in the 11th to defeat the Mariners, 15-14. I can only imagine Lou Piniella, Seattle’s Manager in the press conference after the game.

August 5, 2001 Seattle Mariners at Cleveland Indians Box Score and Play by Play | Baseball-Reference.com

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was on this date in 1890 Cy Young makes his ML debut for the Cleveland Spiders. He pitches the Spiders to a 3-hit, 8-1 win over the Chicago Colts ( Cubs ). Young's career spanned more than just 22 seasons; he bridged the time from when the pitcher's box was 50' from home plate until the introduction of the present distance, 60' 6", with the ball thrown from a mound, was introduced. He pitched against superstars such as Cap Anson, who was an established player when the National League was formed in 1876, and against Eddie Collins, who played in 1930. Young was born just after the Civil War and was still alert and in good physical condition at the time of the Korean War. Cy Young had his nickname given him in wonderment by a young catcher who warmed him up when he tried out for the Canton, Ohio minor league team. He was judged to be "as fast as a cyclone." Reporters shortened it to "Cy" and Denton True Young had a lifelong nickname.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=cy+y...ball-from-the-artball-collection%2F;1200;1025

It was on this date in 1893 while traveling between Cleveland and Chicago‚ the Lake Shore train carrying the Chicago Colts team derails. Several team members are bruised but CF Jimmy Ryan is hurt seriously and he will remain in the hospital for the rest of the season. It remained in doubt as to whether he would ever play baseball again, if he lived. So bad were his injuries‚ that the railroad company compromised by paying him $10‚000." Play again, he not only did but did with distinction. He came back the next season and it was a good thing he did at least for several hundreds of baseball fans in Chicago. Yesterday I wrote about severe fire at the Colts West Side Park in 1894…it was Ryan and another player, Walt Wilmot who hack down the barbed-wire fencing that allowed fans to escape the fire. Jimmy Ryan is one of the forgotten greats of the 19th Century. He has more lifetime ML runs scored, 1,642 than any other player who is not in the Hall of Fame (other than Pete Rose ).

Jimmy Ryan Statistics and History | Baseball-Reference.com

Ray Keating was a ML pitcher for 7 seasons, 1912-1919. He never had a winning season finishing with a W-L record of 31-51. He wasn’t much of a hitter either but on this date in 1919 in the final season of his career it all came together. His Boston Braves were in Chicago playing the Cubs in Weeghman Park (later to be re-christened Wrigley Field). Keating’s mound opponent that day was Grover Cleveland Alexander. Alexander, on his way to the HOF, had already led the NL in Wins 5 times and had three 30 Win seasons under his belt which was more than the 29 games Keating had won in his 7 years in the Majors. The Braves were 20 games under .500 struggling to stay out of the NL basement. The Cubs were in 3rd place 6 games above .500. Chances are the smart money would have been on Alexander and the Cubs but Ray Keating and the Braves won that day, 2-0 despite Alexander holding the Braves to 5 hits. The difference in the game was Ray Keating both on the mound and at the plate as he hit his only ML career HR in the 3rd inning driving in both Braves runs. Was it a monster shot that ended up on Waveland Avenue? Nope…it was a ball that bounces through a hole in the wire fence in CF for a homer.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=ray+...-Vintage-Photograph%2Fdp%2FB004J8BPBW;300;217

August 6, 1919 Boston Braves at Chicago Cubs Box Score and Play by Play | Baseball-Reference.com

Sacrifice Bunt: n. Baseball

A bunt that allows a runner to advance a base while the batter is retired. Also called sacrifice hit.

Collecting two sacrifice bunts in the same inning has happened only once in the history of MLB. It was on this date in 1941 in the 3rd inning against the Indians‚ Detroit pitcher, Al Benton, collects 2 sacrifices bunts as the Tigers send 17 men to the plate and score 11 runs. That means if you’re into trivia you have two reasons to remember Al Benton…as the only ML’er to have 2 sacrifice bunts in the same inning and the only pitcher to face both Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle. Since you asked I’ll tell you Eddie Collins holds the record for career sacrifice bunts with 512.

Al Benton: The only man to face Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio and Mantle | Long Island Baseball Magazine