• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Baseball Ballpark question

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are ballparks different sizes? Why is there not a regulation on the dimensions? Should there have been a rule implied forcing each park to have equal dimensions (if it were possible)? My sister and I were having this argument and never came to an agreement, felt like I should bring it here.

What are some people's thoughts on this topic?

Last edited by a moderator:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The original stadiums were not purpose built facilities for baseball. Also, there isn't enough real estate in every preferred location to have uniform stadium dimensions, for instance Petco would never fit at China Basin or Fenway Park. Weather differences also play a big factor too into how big a park should be to be considered "fair".

When new stadiums were built during the 1960's/70's, coinciding with a move out of city centers into the spacious burbs, many of those stadiums did have fairly uniform dimensions.

Last edited by a moderator:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me personally, it's so much more interesting having each park be unique. One of my very favorite things about the game. Adds a whole layer of complexity.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me personally, it's so much more interesting having each park be unique. One of my very favorite things about the game. Adds a whole layer of complexity.

That was my argument. I like how every experience is different. Its like the old saying, "You'll see something new everytime you go to a ballgame". IMO, when I think of a ballpark, I think of how it plays. Petco, PacBell I think of the massive allys and space making it a pitchers park whereas Citizens Bank or Great American I think launch pads. I like the differences in each park and I think having uniform dimensions would make the game... normal.

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my argument. I like how every experience is different. Its like the old saying, "You'll see something new everytime you go to a ballgame". IMO, when I think of a ballpark, I think of how it plays. Petco, PacBell I think of the massive allys and space making it a pitchers park whereas Citizens Bank or Great American I think launch pads. I like the differences in each park and I think having uniform dimensions would make the game... normal.

yep, we're so much better off having an abnermal game......