• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Backup QB

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Mallett is squarely on the roster bubble in New England. Interesting option to groom as Stafford's back-up. Although he obviously didn't pan out as expected in New England (or the really, really liked Garrappolo), so maybe he's not worth the time?

If Belichek doesn't want him, I wouldn't either. Jmo

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we like Mallett so much, then let's wait until next offseason and sign him without giving up anything.

Anyone think Tebow is willing to come in and play fullback/wildcat? At least we could stop talking about Suh all the time.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what exactly would we be giving up to acquire Mallett now should he be released ? nothing. If we signed him as a FA next year, he comes into play regarding comp picks when factoring in players lost say Suh, Fairley, and who we signed. Mallett, IMO, wouldn't cost much but he's straight up dumb as a pile of shit.

I 4 damn sure don't want to see Mallett in the Big D.....EVER

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we put in a waiver claim on Terrelle Pryor? As the 3rd QB he could offer a helluva scout team option to help prepare for mobile QBs.

Maybe I'll get lucky and find out tomorrow that not only did we claim Pryor, but we released Orlovsky as well to roll with Moore as the #2. I'm less sour on Dan-O than most (shocker, right?), but the reality was that there just wren't many good back-up QB options out there. We need to draft one, but in the mean time I'd be fine with continuing to see where Moore is heading- he's definitely trending up. Pryor is a great athlete and could really help the defense by being a dual threat in practice on the scout team...

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we put in a waiver claim on Terrelle Pryor? As the 3rd QB he could offer a helluva scout team option to help prepare for mobile QBs.

Maybe I'll get lucky and find out tomorrow that not only did we claim Pryor, but we released Orlovsky as well to roll with Moore as the #2. I'm less sour on Dan-O than most (shocker, right?), but the reality was that there just wren't many good back-up QB options out there. We need to draft one, but in the mean time I'd be fine with continuing to see where Moore is heading- he's definitely trending up. Pryor is a great athlete and could really help the defense by being a dual threat in practice on the scout team...

Pryor does nothing for Detroit. Just leave it alone.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No waiver claim on Terrelle... Useless POS human. I am happy with Dan O than him.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forget that you college football fans have crazy biases based on where a played played at.

:scratch:

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forget that you college football fans have crazy biases based on where a played played at.

:scratch:

No I do not give a shit what college a kid played at. He is no longer a Buckeye Sparty domer or Scum...
He is a Lion.

Pryor is not a QB. Kid could not cut it in Oakland for petes sake. He SUCKS.

and what the fuck is played played??

Last edited by a moderator:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he'd be a great asset for our scout team. He's 6'6" and runs a 4.3 40. He rushed for over 500 yards last year in 11 games. He's got loads of talent, but isn't a pocket passer in the least.

That's the kind of guy you want running the scout team to get the defense used to what a mobile QB can do. We got killed in the past by QBs escaping the pocket and we play a lot of mobile QBs this year. Week two we got Cam Newton, week three is Aaron Rodgers, week four is Geno Smith, week five is E.J. Manuel, week six is Teddy Bridgewater, week ten is Ryan Tannehill, week eleven is Carson Palmer (just kidding), week 15 is Bridgewater again, and week 17 we finish with Rodgers.

There's definitely some merit in having a 3rd QB who can give our defense practice against that type of QB. Now is he worth more than an extra LB, or DB, or RB, or WR where we have either big needs or good depth getting cut? I don't know- that's why I posted it up as a question.

But I think just automatically dismissing him is short-sighted. He did some decent thinks on a crappy Oakland team, he's huge, and he can fly. I don't think he's interested in making the transition, but he seems like he'd have great potential at WR with that combination of size, speed, and athleticism...

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want a roster spot for a scout guy, even though I agree there is value there. Mallett would be a decent option. The Patriots always keep two quarterbacks. They get rid of him regardless of his talent at this point. He has one more year left, they brought in a rookie that will be cheaper.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jets released Tajh Boyd. He's another intriguing option.

If you can't tell yet, I'm a bit obsessed with upgrading our QB depth. Not an Orlovsky fan all that much. No future in that guy. Some of these young turds might turn out to be at least a decent back up QB.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have we made Orlovsky the assistant QB coach yet?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Tolzien looks like he'll soon be available, too. He had a strong preseason and comes equipped with a great knowledge of the Packer's system and calls...

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pryor sucks dude. He isn't NFL caliber IMO. Like Gandy said, if we want a guy like him on the PS, just look no further than Franklin.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pryor sucks dude. He isn't NFL caliber IMO. Like Gandy said, if we want a guy like him on the PS, just look no further than Franklin.

If Pete Carroll couldnt get him to work in Seattle which fits Pryors style of play then that should tell you, stay away from Terrell.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did any of you guys actually watch him play for the Raiders at all?

I'm not saying he's great, or even good. Fuck, I'm not even saying he should be the back-up QB. But as a #3 QB he's got everything you want as a developmental guy- Size, speed, arm strength, etc.

He failed as a started, because he wasn't ready to be a starter. He might never be, but we're talking about a 3rd string developmental guy here, not a guy who is going to step right in and play. To that end he's got all the tools you'd want to work with as a QB coach.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Pete Carroll couldnt get him to work in Seattle which fits Pryors style of play then that should tell you, stay away from Terrell.

This line of thinking actually holds up very well, but the Squawks only carry two QBs, and Pryor simply isn't a #2 QB yet. He's a guy who needs to sit and learn and be coached up in the same system for a few years before he's ready to do any kind of good against an NFL defense.

He is ahead of the curve for a QB3, though, because he's started some games. But I'd send him back to the bench to learn and to hopefully be rid of some bad habits...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This line of thinking actually holds up very well, but the Squawks only carry two QBs, and Pryor simply isn't a #2 QB yet. He's a guy who needs to sit and learn and be coached up in the same system for a few years before he's ready to do any kind of good against an NFL defense.

He is ahead of the curve for a QB3, though, because he's started some games. But I'd send him back to the bench to learn and to hopefully be rid of some bad habits...

He may want to look at that Jag down yonder and take his path. He is a freak athlete, just not a QB.