• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Backup QB

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That fourth team has Orlovsky on it, right? (And the thread comes full circle.)

Orlovsky and Jahvid Best. I have a source who says he is ready for a break out year this year.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Texans QB situation bears watching. They have 4 QBs who are all better than our back-ups, imo.

Case Keenum or T.J. Yates likely will be cut, and I'd take either over Orvlosky or Moore at this point. I'd prefer Yates because of his superior size, but Keenum flashed some potential last season...

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1393745221_ero-giff-2.gif

That's ALRIGHT. Pretty average.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Texans released T.J. Yates.

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to adding him in favor of Moore, he's had a bit of success at the NFL level at least, and is more athletic, but he's also not known for his arm strength, so maybe he's not worth the swap?

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Texans released T.J. Yates.

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to adding him in favor of Moore, he's had a bit of success at the NFL level at least, and is more athletic, but he's also not known for his arm strength, so maybe he's not worth the swap?

If Stafford goes down, the Lions fall, No need worrying about 2nd string QBs......Sure they need to field someone but lets be honest here, Just take a 2nd QB willing to play for base salary, not like we have money.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Stafford goes down, the Lions fall, No need worrying about 2nd string QBs......Sure they need to field someone but lets be honest here, Just take a 2nd QB willing to play for base salary, not like we have money.

Yeah, since Drew Stanton never won any games when Stafford went down or anything. (He was 2-1 in 2010. As a third stringer. Our glorious starter was 1-2.). Dan Orlovsky as our #2 QB is a freakin' joke.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, since Drew Stanton never won any games when Stafford went down or anything. (He was 2-1 in 2010. As a third stringer. Our glorious starter was 1-2.). Dan Orlovsky as our #2 QB is a freakin' joke.

Agreed, but don't waste money on the 2nd stringer...That's not smart......Like I said, If Stafford goes down, then Yeah for us, we get another high draft pick......Nothing is worth going 8-8 missing the playoffs and selecting 16th in the draft. I don't want a 2nd stringer win us 1 or 2 games and take us out of contention for a quality draft pick. (I know it's messed up thinking but that's all 2nd string QBs are.)

Stanton was leading two things at that time, "jack and shit" Jack left town.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Stanton was so great, why hasn't he taken someone elses job?..

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Silly debate.....The Browns claiming Hoyer is there QB....What a Joke.....We all know it's Manziel....Why do they pretend....More media attention? More Money? etc etc.....Don't fool yourself, If Stafford goes down the best bet is to loose and get a High draft pick.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No offense, but that's the kind of short-sighted thinking that can cost a team a playoff spot. A viable backup who can come in and win one out of two, or two out of three, or something like that can be the difference between getting into the post-season or going home and playing some golf.

Yes, of Stafford is lost for the season then we're fucked. If he has to miss 3 or 4 games a capable back-up is crucial...

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense, but that's the kind of short-sighted thinking that can cost a team a playoff spot. A viable backup who can come in and win one out of two, or two out of three, or something like that can be the difference between getting into the post-season or going home and playing some golf.

Yes, of Stafford is lost for the season then we're fucked. If he has to miss 3 or 4 games a capable back-up is crucial...

Unfortunately, it seems the front office was afflicted with the short-sighted thinking you speak of.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, it seems the front office was afflicted with the short-sighted thinking you speak of.

Yeah, our back-up QB situation is less-than-ideal, and that's being nice. I was hoping Tom Savage slipped to us in the 5th, but Houston made their move for him. I wouldn't be surprised if our primary backup this season isn't yet on the roster...

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Orlovsky won two games with the Colts during the suck for luck campaign with a positive td int ratio and a rating in the eighties. He's not a to backup but he's capable.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Orlovsky won two games with the Colts during the suck for luck campaign with a positive td int ratio and a rating in the eighties. He's not a to backup but he's capable.

He will always be judged on one play in some eyes. Hell, let them stand in there and have Jared Allen about to sammich their ass and see if they know where they are. Hill chose to leave, with a chance to start IMO. With the cap hell they're in, I would be pissed even more at Meow's clown show for using $$ on a guy I hope never sees the field.

I really am not concerned with the backup. Hill may been capable of winning a few games, he was never the answer or Stafford would not be here.

Third if Jim Bob Pooter is a QB guru and him and Lombardi are saving the franchise with Stafford. Surely they can help Orlovsky with endzone pressence.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a good reason Don-O has been a career back-up since his days with us. He's far, far from a great QB, but one also doesn't hang around in the NFL for almost ten years as a QB if they suck. Just doesn't happen.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a good reason Don-O has been a career back-up since his days with us. He's far, far from a great QB, but one also doesn't hang around in the NFL for almost ten years as a QB if they suck. Just doesn't happen.

While I agree Tpaul, I do disagree with earlier logic from you. Sure you want a backup who can maybe win a game a two. Most cases IMO it is system that helps them produce. Hill put up numbers with CJ Stafford does too. He makes catches most can't and Stafford looks better than he is. Backups are usually backups for a reason, unless he is being groomed.

Mitchell we all know caught lightning in a bottle with Marino injury. Cassel McCown and Flynn all produced from the system and did not elsewhere. McCown is yet to be seen and IMO will not either. Alshon made some CJ type catches in that span and made McCown money... Both Packers and Bears won some last year and should have been irrelavant to this conversation. Lions are who let them in the race.