• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Back in the day.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As many of you know I have been watching the Rams for a long time. As was mentioned previously, I have so many favorites over the years that I can't nail down just one guy. When you actually sitdown and recall all of the talent that has worn those horns, the list gets fairly extensive. Here is mine! Oh, I tried to keep eras congruent.

Les Richter, Les Josephson, Big Bob Brown, Joe Scebelli, Ken Iman, Charlie Cowan, Roman Gabriel, Bernie Casey, Jack Snow, Maxie Baughn, Marlin McKeever, Roger Brown, The Fearsome Foursome (Lundy, Grier, Olsen, Jones), Rich Saul, Dick Bass, Diron Talbert, Tom Fears;

Bob Klein, Larry Smith, Tom Mack, Doug Smith, Dennis Harrah, Doug France, James Harris, Cullen Bryant, Jim Bertelson, John Cappelletti, Willie Ellison, Lawrence McCutcheon, Rod Perry, LeRoy Irvin, Wendall Tyler, Vince Ferragamo, Pat Hayden, Drew Hill, Billy Waddie, Bob Brudzinski, Isaiah Robertson, Pat Curran, Jeff Rutledge, Jack Hacksaw Reynolds, Jack and Jim Youngblood, Mike Fanning, Larry Brooks, Jerry Gray, Nolan Cromwell, Jackie Slater, Fred Dryer, Johnny Johnson, Vince Newsome, Dave Elmendorf, Henry Ellard, Harold Jackson, Ron Brown, Frank Corral;

Greg Bell, Eric Dickerson, Jim Everett, Flipper Anderson, Jerome Bettis, Kent Hill, Irv Pankey, George Andrews, Isaac Bruce, Mel Owens, Tom Newberry, Kevin Greene, Jim Collins, Fred Strickland, Roman Phipher, Wayne Gandy, Dre Bly, Todd Lyght;

Grant Wistrom, London Fletcher, Ryan Pickett, Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, Torry Holt, Az-Zahir Hakim, Ernie Cromwell, Ryan Tucker, Kevin Carter, Mike (The tackle) Jones, Jeff (Cankle) Zgonina, Tom Nutten, Adam Timmerman, Orlando Pace, Leonard Little, Steven Jackson, Madison Hedgecock;

Chris Long, James Laurinaitus, William Hayes, Eugene Sims, Jake Long, Joe Barksdale, Robert Quinn, Alex Ogletree, Jo-Lunn Dunbar, Michael Brockers, Trumaine Johnson, T. J. McDonald, Janoris Jenkins, Johnny Hekker, Greg Zuerlein.

I bet none of you knew that in 1985 in Round 11 we drafted a "too-small" QB out of Boston College known as Doug Flutie. Little did we know he would go on and have an illustrious career. Well those are my favs past and present. And I hope to add to my list some of this year's rooks. We shall see and Stay tuned!

Last edited by a moderator:

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post Retro. I am glad Larry Brooks made the cut. :suds:

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was also nice too see Broadway Joe wear the horns.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea Ozark, the replacement front four, after the original Fearsome Foursome was dismantled except for Olsen, included Larry Brooks and Mike Fanning at DT where Fanning was rotating in with Merlin Olsen with Dryer and Youngblood on the ends was badass in its own right.

Brooks was an underrated DT for years but he made a number of pro bowls back when it meant something. Oh yeah, he was helluva of DT at both the pass and the run and was a prototypical DT in a long line of great Rams DT's. Yep, he is a keeper.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was also nice too see Broadway Joe wear the horns.

I agree Ozark but he was at the end of his career and he wasn't in LA long enough to really make a difference. That is why I left him off the list.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet none of you knew that in 1985 in Round 11 we drafted a "too-small" QB out of Boston College known as Doug Flutie. Little did we know he would go on and have an illustrious career.

I actually did know this. Granted I have little to no knowledge on the majority of the guys you named, but one random fact I did know.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I must admit. I didn't know about Flutie.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually did know this. Granted I have little to no knowledge on the majority of the guys you named, but one random fact I did know.

You are one of the few ones Mutigers. That is a little known fact but I am impressed.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are one of the few ones Mutigers. That is a little known fact but I am impressed.

Well I'm a total football and baseball nerd and I don't pay attention in classes. What else is a college kid to do but read through old drafts?

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Retro, my goal for Christmas break, which we be my last long break before graduation, is to watch every SuperBowl in its entirety.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Retro, my goal for Christmas break, which we be my last long break before graduation, is to watch every SuperBowl in its entirety.

Oh the sweet daze of youth. While football games and graduation have their place. Chasing females and drinking beer always comes first. One must have their priorities in line. :lol:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As many of you know I have been watching the Rams for a long time. As was mentioned previously, I have so many favorites over the years that I can't nail down just one guy. When you actually sitdown and recall all of the talent that has worn those horns, the list gets fairly extensive. Here is mine! Oh, I tried to keep eras congruent.

Les Richter, Les Josephson, Big Bob Brown, Joe Scebelli, Ken Iman, Charlie Cowan, Roman Gabriel, Bernie Casey, Jack Snow, Maxie Baughn, Marlin McKeever, Roger Brown, The Fearsome Foursome (Lundy, Grier, Olsen, Jones), Rich Saul, Dick Bass, Diron Talbert, Tom Fears;

Bob Klein, Larry Smith, Tom Mack, Doug Smith, Dennis Harrah, Doug France, James Harris, Cullen Bryant, Jim Bertelson, John Cappelletti, Willie Ellison, Lawrence McCutcheon, Rod Perry, LeRoy Irvin, Wendall Tyler, Vince Ferragamo, Pat Hayden, Drew Hill, Billy Waddie, Bob Brudzinski, Isaiah Robertson, Pat Curran, Jeff Rutledge, Jack Hacksaw Reynolds, Jack and Jim Youngblood, Mike Fanning, Larry Brooks, Jerry Gray, Nolan Cromwell, Jackie Slater, Fred Dryer, Johnny Johnson, Vince Newsome, Dave Elmendorf, Henry Ellard, Harold Jackson, Ron Brown, Frank Corral;

Greg Bell, Jim Everett, Flipper Anderson, Jerome Bettis, Kent Hill, Irv Pankey, George Andrews, Isaac Bruce, Mel Owens, Tom Newberry, Kevin Greene, Jim Collins, Fred Strickland, Roman Phipher, Wayne Gandy, Dre Bly, Todd Lyght;

Grant Wistrom, London Fletcher, Ryan Pickett, Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, Torry Holt, Az-Zahir Hakim, Ernie Cromwell, Ryan Tucker, Kevin Carter, Mike (The tackle) Jones, Jeff (Cankle) Zgonina, Tom Nutten, Adam Timmerman, Orlando Pace, Leonard Little, Steven Jackson, Madison Hedgecock;

Chris Long, James Laurinaitus, William Hayes, Eugene Sims, Jake Long, Joe Barksdale, Robert Quinn, Alex Ogletree, Jo-Lunn Dunbar, Michael Brockers, Trumaine Johnson, T. J. McDonald, Janoris Jenkins, Johnny Hekker, Greg Zuerlein.

I bet none of you knew that in 1985 in Round 11 we drafted a "too-small" QB out of Boston College known as Doug Flutie. Little did we know he would go on and have an illustrious career. Well those are my favs past and present. And I hope to add to my list some of this year's rooks. We shall see and Stay tuned!

No love for E.D.?

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh the sweet daze of youth. While football games and graduation have their place. Chasing females and drinking beer always comes first. One must have their priorities in line. :lol:

Stumble home at 2-3 AM, pass out, wake up at 9, watch football until noon, go get food, watch football until 5, nap until 7, do what you do that night from there.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
288751_crop_650x440.jpg

I'd have to say that Marshall Faulk is my all-time favorite Ram. But this guy is the reason I'm a Rams fan to this day.

One night, back in 1986 (when I was 11 years old. Lol), I stayed up to watch a Monday Nighter between the Rams and the Bears. I saw Eric Dickerson run and I've been a fan ever since. He only had like 100 yards that night, but the way he ran was just mesmerizing. For some reason, even after ED left for Indy, I was still a fan of his, but the Rams just stuck with me.

And the rest is history, I suppose. :yahoo:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The interesting thing about Dickerson is what John Robinson had to state back then. Robinson said that when you ran with other players, you could hear their pads rattling and feet hitting the ground but with Dickerson, there were no such sounds. This was a guy who was 6'3", 225lbs, 4% body fat, and ran a 4.3 Forty in an era when then was unheard of especially for a man his size. Robinson claimed he clocked Dickerson at 4.2 but that was never substantiated. Pure G_D-given talent and he used it well in the NFL.

I just wish he would have earned a ring but our defense back then was not good enough and our O was too one-dimensional as demonstrated in the '85 NFC championship game with Dieter Brock as the QB against the vaunted '85 Bears defense. All the Bears did was zero in on Eric and we just could not muster any offense.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
288751_crop_650x440.jpg

I'd have to say that Marshall Faulk is my all-time favorite Ram. But this guy is the reason I'm a Rams fan to this day.

One night, back in 1986 (when I was 11 years old. Lol), I stayed up to watch a Monday Nighter between the Rams and the Bears. I saw Eric Dickerson run and I've been a fan ever since. He only had like 100 yards that night, but the way he ran was just mesmerizing. For some reason, even after ED left for Indy, I was still a fan of his, but the Rams just stuck with me.

And the rest is history, I suppose. :yahoo:

I think I still have the local sports page from the day after the Rams drafted him. So, I guess you could call me a fan as well, lol.

I hated the trade for the Rams, and lost a little respect in Dickerson for wanting out, much like when Shaq left the Lakers. Oh well.