• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Back in the day.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the race zeke and it was really 31+ lengths. Best race horse ever.

Happy Fathers day blue and everyone. Greatest horse ever by 31 lengths in my book. :lol:

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the topic of SuperBowl 14, I watched an abridged airing of it this morning which I had recorded on NFLN. The thing I had forgotten about in that game was that the illegal contact rule (aka Mel Blount rule) was in its 2nd season. It's hard to gauge how much it would have affected the Rams offense if that rule hadn't been implemented but under the old rules I find it hard to believe Stallworth could have gotten deep on the Rams secondary those 2 times in the 4th quarter, especially considering Swann was hurt early in the 3rd. Had that rule not been changed I think it's likely the Rams would have won that game.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to take anything away from Secretariat, he was the greatest racehorse of all time, but I can't help but notice that there was only 6 horses in that race. Compare that to this years where there was 15-20.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to take anything away from Secretariat, he was the greatest racehorse of all time, but I can't help but notice that there was only 6 horses in that race. Compare that to this years where there was 15-20.

There was no point to more horses. It was thought to be a two horse race Sham and Secretariat. Any other year Sham may have won the crown. He was unlucky enough to have to face Big Red.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was no point to more horses. It was thought to be a two horse race Sham and Secretariat. Any other year Sham may have won the crown. He was unlucky enough to have to face Big Red.

Fair, I was just pointing out the change in the times.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair, I was just pointing out the change in the times.
I guess what I meant was no one else wanted to race. Had the field been close that year we would have seen more horses. :suds:

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess what I meant was no one else wanted to race. Had the field been close that year we would have seen more horses. :suds:

Hadn't thought of that, I have very little horse racing knowledge and wasn't alive to see it so I wouldn't have knowledge of the circumstances, thanks for the info.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hadn't thought of that, I have very little horse racing knowledge and wasn't alive to see it so I wouldn't have knowledge of the circumstances, thanks for the info.

mutigers I always enjoy your posts. And we agree on most things. Love the whole Kansas thing. :lol:

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had the same thought regarding the 6 horse race.

But, then you see the race and realize that no horse, no matter how many were in the field, was going to beat Secretariat that day. His record still stands 41 years later.

He broke the record in all 3 triple crown races that year. I don't think it would've mattered how many horses ran in any of the races.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ozark, speaking of kansas, they still won't play us because they claim we walked out on them. They say we left and the Big 12 is done with us. Yet Texas A&M has at least 1 game against a Big 12 team next year and OU and OSU are both playing us in basketball. The OSU game is in KC so hopefully playing one of their conference brethren in a city they attempt to claim will get under their skin.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mutigers, speaking of Secretariat, Ozark was exactly right one about Sham. That year there were only 2 great 3 year olds.:nod: Any other triple crown year, Sham had the ability to beat every other horse. I have watched every Kentucky Derby, Preakness and Belmont as far back as I can remember. I am not an expert on horses but I do some research prior to the races and enjoy those and the Breeders Cup races each year. Different years but in 77 and 78 when the Triple Crown was last won, Sham would have lapped the field as Secretariat did to him.:nod: Sham was the only horse that ever beat Secretariat and that was the lead up to the Derby. The movie Secretariat starring Diane Lane is pretty close to what actually was his story. Good 2 hours when you have the time.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry for the double post. By the way Sham was hurt in the starting gate of the Derby but still was still only a couple lenghts behind Secretariat. Sham's time of under 2 minutes was also a race record. Enough about horse racing but inbetween Rams news, it brings back a lot of memories.

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite Ram player of all time is Warner because of his whole story but until 1999 my favorite Ram was Henry Ellard

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxenW5hg98c]Henry Ellard for Pro Football Hall of Fame - YouTube[/ame]

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fixed it for you Blue. Now you have just one post and not a duplicate.