• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B1G Thread

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of paragraphs for middling if not mediocre success. Below average for a BIG program.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, OSU only making 2 Frozen Fours in all of college hockey history might have something to do with that? At least Minny's been a has been in football, baseball and basketball, and the all-time #1 in hockey.

OSU's a never been in hockey, and only a one time winner in both baseball and basketball, with both of those titles being over 50 years old, so can they even claim to be a has been in either of those sports?

Throw in wrestling and again OSU's just a one time winner while AGAIN UMn has 3 titles, same as they have in cbb and baseball.

As I said

No one cares.

It's hoops. It's football. For 97 percent of BIG country.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said

No one cares.

What would someone from Ohio know about hockey? lol

The UMD Bulldogs been to the Frozen Four more times than all the schools from Ohio combined, lol.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said

No one cares.

All but 2 of the last 30 seasons saw at least one team from a B1G state in the NCAA Frozen Four.

2018 - the entire Frozen Four was from B1G country.
2021 - 3 of the 4 teams were all from Minnesota.
2022 - 3 of the 4 teams were from B1G states.

Over half of the last 30 seasons saw at least 2 teams from B1G country in the NCAA Frozen Four.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All but 2 of the last 30 seasons saw at least one team from a B1G state in the NCAA Frozen Four.

2018 - the entire Frozen Four was from B1G country.
2021 - 3 of the 4 teams were all from Minnesota.
2022 - 3 of the 4 teams were from B1G states.

Over half of the last 30 seasons saw at least 2 teams from B1G country in the NCAA Frozen Four.
The 20 years prior, 14 of those 20 seasons a team from a B1G state won the NCAA Title, 3 of the remaining 6 were North Dakota, which is just over the border from Minnesota.

Over half the teams in NCAA hockey are from the East, only 1/3rd are from B1G states, the rest are western teams, yet those teams from the B1G states won half the titles of the last 50 years, Minnesota produced 10%, Wisconsin 12%, Michigan & Bowling Green combined 6%, UM-Duluth & Mich St combined 10%, NMU, LSSU & Mich Tech combined 10%, and 20% were won by Denver and North Dakota. That leaves only 32% for Eastern teams that make up over half the teams in Div 1. 30% of the Titles of the last 50 years were won by B1G teams.

Yet only 2% were won by teams from the state of Ohio, and that was what, the Ohio college closest to the Michigan border? Meaning not OSU. So not surprising OSU fans aren't aware and would make the moronic statement that no one in the Midwest cares about hockey. Seems to me ND, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan are far more "Midwest" than Ohio. Ohio St is practically an eastern team, at least in comparison.

And football, American football, is a niche sport throughout the world, with declining participation, even more niche than Baseballl. Whereas Ice Hockey is not, it's expanding in America. and It's played all through Europe, in Russia, even China and Japan have hockey teams, and then of course it's like the national sport of Canada.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, I said up to 1942 or America's entrance into WW2 or the bombing of Pearl Harbor many times in the past, and I suspect everyone but you knew what I meant. But you are the dumbest human I've met on this site, so it's not hard to understand how you got such a dumb idea into your head.

Yeah you call me the dumbest person but it's you that said multiple times Minnesota football is on par with N.D. football. Like I said you only started saying 1942 a couple of days ago.

Before that you kept saying historically your team's on par with ND. You really don't know what the word historically means. Which is no surprise.

Your incorrect definition of historically is only focusing on specific years of Gophers football that you wanna acknowledge and that's it.

N.D. is a historic football program. They have won Natty's in the 20's, 30's, 40's, 60's, 70's & 80's.

Bama is a historic program. They have won Natty's in the 20's, 30's, 60's, 70's, 90's, 00's, 10's & 20's.

Minnesota isn't. They have only won Natty's in the 30's, 40's and their last title was 1960.

The info is from ncaa-.com. A site that you've said in the past is somehow invalid.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah you call me the dumbest person but it's you that said multiple times Minnesota football is on par with N.D. football. Like I said you only started saying 1942 a couple of days ago.

Before that you kept saying historically your team's on par with ND. You really don't know what the word historically means. Which is no surprise.

Your incorrect definition of historically is only focusing on specific years of Gophers football that you wanna acknowledge and that's it.

N.D. is a historic football program. They have won Natty's in the 20's, 30's, 40's, 60's, 70's & 80's.

Bama is a historic program. They have won Natty's in the 20's, 30's, 60's, 70's, 90's, 00's, 10's & 20's.

Minnesota isn't. They have only won Natty's in the 30's, 40's and their last title was 1960.

The info is from ncaa-.com. A site that you've said in the past is somehow invalid.
Yeah, you ARE the dumbest person here. You spout information that any serious cfb knows and doesn't need you to tell them. The fact you think you need to teach me Notre Dane's football history is just more evidence that you are a clueless moron.

Lou Holtz, the Gopher Fb Coach in the 80s, left after just 2 seasons because when he signed his contract, he had a Notre Dame Clause in the contract and he took some high caliber recruits who were headed to Minnesota with him to Notre Dame, so I am well aware that Notre Dame won a Natl Title in 1988. Going back, a UMn-Duluth alum Dan Devine, coached by a former Gopher at UMn-Duluth Jim Malosky, the winningest Div 2 coach in history at the time of his retirement, Devine started his college coaching career under former Gopher and HOFer Biggie Munn at Michigan St, Dan Devine, helped Notre Dame win a title in 1977, just a few years after the events of the Rudy movie.

Devine took over for the legendary Ara Parseghian, one of the most acclaimed of the Miami of Ohio Cradle of Coaches, of whom I know very well because of my debates with a Miami of Ohio fan who couldn't handle the idea that Miami of Ohio wasn't the real cradle of coaches. So obviously I am aware that Ara won a couple Natl Titles at Notre Dame. So right there, knowing just that, that's FOUR Natl Titles over 3 different decades, since the Gophers won their last title, a sort of fluky title that came after probably the Gopher's worst decade of football up to that point. This bad decade happened in part because of WW2 changing things so much and UMn screwing up the Bernie Bierman/Biggie Munn/Bud Wilkinson situation.

UMn wanted to stay loyal to Bierman, instead of realizing the world had changed quite significantly because of WW2 and going with someone new and fresh, so they let Munn and Wilkinson and other former Gophers in the coaching realm go off to other programs, ALL of which competed with Notre Dame in the late 40s and into the 50s, and who all dominated the late 40s and the 50s in contrast to the military academies and Notre Dame all being the least affected by WW2, or even helped by it. From 1945 a year that saw Army and Navy both rated Top 5, and Notre Dame and Michigan rated Top 10, all having benefited from the war hurting other programs.

Army and Navy obviously stripped and stole players from other programs by order of the Govt, which is fine, but it should be acknowledged, and Michigan had a military base near enough by that UM was able to steal players from other programs as well, with one of it's All-American players having played at Minnesota until the Govt stole him from the Gophers. And Notre Dame had the entire nation to recruit from and wartime often leads people to embracing religion. And as Army and Navy's success declined after the end of the war, Notre Dame stepped in and was dominant. Michigan's 2nd to last title had lots of Gopher flavor to it, as it was a former Gopher coach who built up the team, with 2 former Gophers on his staff. Then MSU and Oklahoma dominated the 50s with Gopher coaches at their helm and Notre Dame as a frequent opponent on the field or competitor in the polls.

So AGAIN, anyone who knows me well, not just casually, would know that I was well aware of Notre Dame's history. I'd have to be. So add these four post-Pearl Harbor Titles to the 4 I already mentioned, all of which I, being the one who talks of WW2 and it's connection to UMn's history so much, would be more than well aware of, to the 4 titles I already mentioned, and that is EIGHT Titles for Notre Dame since Pearl Harbor, vs just the 1960 title for the Gophers.

So, at the end of the 1941 season, Minnesota had 5 recognized titles to Notre Dame's 3, and 9 total to ND's 7 total and was the heavy favorite to win the title again in 1942, until Pearl Harbor changed everything, negatively for Gopher football and very positively for Notre Dame football. The fact you don't know this, that I know this, proves you are either a complete moron, and/or don't know what you are talking about, and/or don't know much about me.

Minnesota, Michigan, Chicago, Illinois, Notre Dame were all the heavy hitters in the "West" as they were known as at the turn of the century as former Gopher Gil Dobie was able to go like 58 or 59 games without losing one of them out at Washington and no one even noticed, really. Ohio St wasn't even considered hardly. Shit, OSU didn't really do much at all until AFTER UMn's football prgram ended it's run. One brief mini run right during the heart of the greatest world war ever. I didn't list OSU as a school that benefitted from the war because OSU football has only really been part of the cfb discussion AFTER UMn stepped off the stage. But OSU could probably argued to have benefitted THE MOST from WW2, at least as cfb is on concerned. Not a single Top Ten EOS ranking prior to the Bombing of Pearl Harbor. OSU much have had a military base close enough by so as not to lose any of it's players and probably to gain players from other schools even? Was the 1954 title a result of the Korean War affect? Otherwise OSU didn't gain their status as a blue blood until 1968, the year after UMn ended their 70+ years as one. They didn't really start their rise to that status until Biggie Munn retired as coach at MSU, seeing as I can't respect the 1942-1945 years as anything but a war aided fluke and 1954 may have been as well. But even this starting to rise in the 50s was probably in part due to Minnesota's starting their decline in the 50s.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, you ARE the dumbest person here. You spout information that any serious cfb knows and doesn't need you to tell them. The fact you think you need to teach me Notre Dane's football history is just more evidence that you are a clueless moron.

Lou Holtz, the Gopher Fb Coach in the 80s, left after just 2 seasons because when he signed his contract, he had a Notre Dame Clause in the contract and he took some high caliber recruits who were headed to Minnesota with him to Notre Dame, so I am well aware that Notre Dame won a Natl Title in 1988. Going back, a UMn-Duluth alum Dan Devine, coached by a former Gopher at UMn-Duluth Jim Malosky, the winningest Div 2 coach in history at the time of his retirement, Devine started his college coaching career under former Gopher and HOFer Biggie Munn at Michigan St, Dan Devine, helped Notre Dame win a title in 1977, just a few years after the events of the Rudy movie.

Devine took over for the legendary Ara Parseghian, one of the most acclaimed of the Miami of Ohio Cradle of Coaches, of whom I know very well because of my debates with a Miami of Ohio fan who couldn't handle the idea that Miami of Ohio wasn't the real cradle of coaches. So obviously I am aware that Ara won a couple Natl Titles at Notre Dame. So right there, knowing just that, that's FOUR Natl Titles over 3 different decades, since the Gophers won their last title, a sort of fluky title that came after probably the Gopher's worst decade of football up to that point. This bad decade happened in part because of WW2 changing things so much and UMn screwing up the Bernie Bierman/Biggie Munn/Bud Wilkinson situation.

UMn wanted to stay loyal to Bierman, instead of realizing the world had changed quite significantly because of WW2 and going with someone new and fresh, so they let Munn and Wilkinson and other former Gophers in the coaching realm go off to other programs, ALL of which competed with Notre Dame in the late 40s and into the 50s, and who all dominated the late 40s and the 50s in contrast to the military academies and Notre Dame all being the least affected by WW2, or even helped by it. From 1945 a year that saw Army and Navy both rated Top 5, and Notre Dame and Michigan rated Top 10, all having benefited from the war hurting other programs.

Army and Navy obviously stripped and stole players from other programs by order of the Govt, which is fine, but it should be acknowledged, and Michigan had a military base near enough by that UM was able to steal players from other programs as well, with one of it's All-American players having played at Minnesota until the Govt stole him from the Gophers. And Notre Dame had the entire nation to recruit from and wartime often leads people to embracing religion. And as Army and Navy's success declined after the end of the war, Notre Dame stepped in and was dominant. Michigan's 2nd to last title had lots of Gopher flavor to it, as it was a former Gopher coach who built up the team, with 2 former Gophers on his staff. Then MSU and Oklahoma dominated the 50s with Gopher coaches at their helm and Notre Dame as a frequent opponent on the field or competitor in the polls.

So AGAIN, anyone who knows me well, not just casually, would know that I was well aware of Notre Dame's history. I'd have to be. So add these four post-Pearl Harbor Titles to the 4 I already mentioned, all of which I, being the one who talks of WW2 and it's connection to UMn's history so much, would be more than well aware of, to the 4 titles I already mentioned, and that is EIGHT Titles for Notre Dame since Pearl Harbor, vs just the 1960 title for the Gophers.

So, at the end of the 1941 season, Minnesota had 5 recognized titles to Notre Dame's 3, and 9 total to ND's 7 total and was the heavy favorite to win the title again in 1942, until Pearl Harbor changed everything, negatively for Gopher football and very positively for Notre Dame football. The fact you don't know this, that I know this, proves you are either a complete moron, and/or don't know what you are talking about, and/or don't know much about me.

Minnesota, Michigan, Chicago, Illinois, Notre Dame were all the heavy hitters in the "West" as they were known as at the turn of the century as former Gopher Gil Dobie was able to go like 58 or 59 games without losing one of them out at Washington and no one even noticed, really. Ohio St wasn't even considered hardly. Shit, OSU didn't really do much at all until AFTER UMn's football prgram ended it's run. One brief mini run right during the heart of the greatest world war ever. I didn't list OSU as a school that benefitted from the war because OSU football has only really been part of the cfb discussion AFTER UMn stepped off the stage. But OSU could probably argued to have benefitted THE MOST from WW2, at least as cfb is on concerned. Not a single Top Ten EOS ranking prior to the Bombing of Pearl Harbor. OSU much have had a military base close enough by so as not to lose any of it's players and probably to gain players from other schools even? Was the 1954 title a result of the Korean War affect? Otherwise OSU didn't gain their status as a blue blood until 1968, the year after UMn ended their 70+ years as one. They didn't really start their rise to that status until Biggie Munn retired as coach at MSU, seeing as I can't respect the 1942-1945 years as anything but a war aided fluke and 1954 may have been as well. But even this starting to rise in the 50s was probably in part due to Minnesota's starting their decline in the 50s.

Cool story. I didn't read any of it. Go away you Gopher homer.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool story. I didn't read any of it. Go away you Gopher homer.
OSU football needed Wars to help them out and the Gophers to get out of their way, otherwise they were never much of anything before those both happened.

Same could arguably be said regarding Notre Dame, too. Although it was much more prominent a case for OSU. At least Notre Dame was already a blue blood before WW2 came around and before UMn stepped aside.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lol

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OSU football needed Wars to help them out and the Gophers to get out of their way, otherwise they were never much of anything before those both happened.

Same could arguably be said regarding Notre Dame, too. Although it was much more prominent a case for OSU. At least Notre Dame was already a blue blood before WW2 came around and before UMn stepped aside.

You don't know world history. It's funny. So Ohio State needed wars to help them out? Interesting.

When Ohio State won the national title in '42 it was only because of WW II you're saying? That war started in '39. But of course Minnesota's national titles in '40 & '41 are legit right?

When Ohio State won national title in '51 guess it was because of the Korean War.

When Ohio State won the national title in '54 it was because of? Oh hell let's just blame the Korean War for that title even though that war ended in '53.

So you're saying.

When Ohio State won the national title in '68 it was because of Vietnam.

When Ohio State won the national title in '02 & '14 it was because of Afghanistan.

What's wrong with you?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't know world history. It's funny. So Ohio State needed wars to help them out? Interesting.

When Ohio State won the national title in '42 it was only because of WW II you're saying? That war started in '39. But of course Minnesota's national titles in '40 & '41 are legit right?

When Ohio State won national title in '51 guess it was because of the Korean War.

When Ohio State won the national title in '54 it was because of? Oh hell let's just blame the Korean War

Dumbass, sure, WW2 started in 1939, but America did not enter the war until AFTER Pearl Harbor which occurred just after the 1941 season had concluded and well before the 1942 season started.

Again, more evidence YOU, are the dumbest person I've ever met on this site. LOL

And 1951???

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ohio St went 4-3-2 in 1951, you MORON!!!

OSU lost 3 games in 50 and 52 as well, so don't tell me you were just meaning either of those seasons, they lost 3 games in 53 as well. And yes, the Korean War ended in 53, but the players on that 54 team, when did they show up on the OSU campus and start playing? You know entirely new rosters are not made up each year, right? How long have you been a football fan? Holy Sh1t Dude!!!!

And the 1949 team failed to win 3 games as well.

You just making sh1t up out of absolute no where now???

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 49 team couldn't crack the AP Top 5, the 50-53 teams couldn't crack the Coaches/UPI poll Top Ten even.

The OSU wiki page doesn't even include a single non-claimed title any time in the 50s???

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When Ohio State won the national title in '02 & '14 it was because of Afghanistan.

What's wrong with you?

I didn't even refer to 68-present, just so you know. Forgot about the possible Vietnam connection in 68, thanks for reminding me, lol. Could be something to that? I only said "or needed Minnesota out of the way" in reference to OSU 68-present, as 1967 can be seen, now looking back, as UMn's last year as an official blue blood. Many may not have written them off and labeled them a "former" blue blood at that time, as they showed potential, beating Washington and UCLA in 1977 before beating #1 ranked Michigan, but losing other games that year, and continuing to struggle into the 80s started to indicate "former blue blood" might be the appropriate label. The final nail in the coffin imo, was when Lou Holtz bolted to Notre Dame, which led to an entire decade of crappy fb and cemented their former blueblood status officially.

As for 02 and 14, was there a draft forcing players to leave certain schools and enroll at other schools like there for WW2, Korea and Vietnam???

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When Ohio State won the national title in '54 it was because of? Oh hell let's just blame the Korean War for that title even though that war ended in '53.

So you're saying.

What's wrong with you?

Are you a Democrat? A Biden supporter, by chance? Would make SO much sense. lol

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio St went 4-3-2 in 1951, you MORON!!!

OSU lost 3 games in 50 and 52 as well, so don't tell me you were just meaning either of those seasons, they lost 3 games in 53 as well. And yes, the Korean War ended in 53, but the players on that 54 team, when did they show up on the OSU campus and start playing? You know entirely new rosters are not made up each year, right? How long have you been a football fan? Holy Sh1t Dude!!!!

And the 1949 team failed to win 3 games as well.

You just making sh1t up out of absolute no where now???

My bad, meant '54 you super-homer. That season they went 10-0.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you a Democrat? A Biden supporter, by chance? Would make SO much sense. lol

You've asked me this before you buffoon.

And like I've told you multiple times I support no party or politician.

Which means I don't support Biden.

But I know you support DJT.

Which means you're stupid enough to believe the election was stolen from him.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey freddy

Will your Gophers successfully defend their hop scotch title this summer?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad, meant '54 you super-homer. That season they went 10-0.
Yeah, YOUR BAD, you also listed 54, right after trying to make up a title in 51, you just outright lied, you are a big fat fucking liar. Oh, and I'm just using your own standards and rules against you dude. It was YOU who claimed that if someone says something, there is no way they could have just had a memory last or made a mistake, they were either lying or are a total moron. So hold yourself to your own standards, Admit that you tried lying and making some sh1t up, or that you are a total moron who doesn't even know your own team's history.

Or, maybe just admit that you were wrong before and an ashhole for trying to make it out that I was a liar or that it was unforgivable for me to forget about one of Wisconsin's bb titles.

But I know you, your type, and why I asked AGAIN, if you were a Democrat/Biden supporter, because you act like that type, and I know you won't admit to ever being wrong or a moron, or an ashhole, it's not in your toxic nature.