• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B10 trying to add Texas and OU (again)

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see UT and OU play up north in November though . That'd be fun . A nice 29 degree day in Madison with some snow and sleet sounds really nice lol
Norman gets some of that shit. Austin, not very often at all.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter if OU is conference champs in the Big 12, Pac or Big 10 every year. Playoffs is the playoffs.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for decades in the old Big 8 OU played at Nebraska and Colorado, typically late in the season.
That's true . Not a lot of northern exposure now in the league and it seems like OU and Texas always play in Ames earlier in the season . Not that Ames is near as bad as Madison , Minneapolis , EL or Happy valley though . It'd be fun to see since it's been so long

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm an outlier on this issue because I strongly feel the Big XII should get smart and ADD teams. Spend some damn money for once on something that will actually make the conference stronger in the long run. Go make a deal with a couple of good teams in other major conferences (fuck the small fry that keep trying to get on the bandwagon) and give them a deal they can't refuse. Population is important but WINNING trumps everything. We need to go pry away a couple of good teams and then let everyone else sweat things instead of us doing all the worrying.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm an outlier on this issue because I strongly feel the Big XII should get smart and ADD teams. Spend some damn money for once on something that will actually make the conference stronger in the long run. Go make a deal with a couple of good teams in other major conferences (fuck the small fry that keep trying to get on the bandwagon) and give them a deal they can't refuse. Population is important but WINNING trumps everything. We need to go pry away a couple of good teams and then let everyone else sweat things instead of us doing all the worrying.

I agree, it really doesn't interest me to move to another conference. If anything, I believe those that left and those who left us haven't exactly had the success they anticipated on either side. For something I can speak from personal experience on, A&M has sunk more money into their programs than any time in their history. They've improved, but I don't think they've done it as fast as they hoped considering the investment.

I'm at every single home football game for the Aggies. They cannot touch the atmosphere at Kyle Field in 2011. It was electric almost every single game. That 9-6 win over Nebraska a couple years prior and the final game against Texas in 2011 were the most electric crowds I've ever personally attended. Including RRSO games. The Clemson game this year was probably equal to playing a shit team in 2011. Yet, the young Aggies think the place was rocking. The olds refuse to admit the truth although they know it.

You cannot instantly create rivals and replace old ones. It will take decades to do that. I hate conference realignment. The SEC and Big 10 are the only two leagues who've really benefitted from it. They kept all their rivalries and got the money they wished for. The ACC and Pac 12 it didn't quite work out like they thought it would on the money end IMO. Obviously, the Big 12 was the biggest loser. No offense to West Virginia or TCU, they've done well from a competitive standpoint. It just not the same though.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC/UCLA come on down

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true . Not a lot of northern exposure now in the league and it seems like OU and Texas always play in Ames earlier in the season . Not that Ames is near as bad as Madison , Minneapolis , EL or Happy valley though . It'd be fun to see since it's been so long

Ahh Texas and OU have both played multiple times late November in Morgantown.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahh Texas and OU have both played multiple times late November in Morgantown.
True . I feel like WV is in the south even though I know it's not lol. I bet it's still 15 degrees average warmer there in November than up here though

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I said I understand the money aspect but I'm questioning if it's necessary competitively . If you're solely looking at revenue sports from a competition standpoint I think you're you're better off adding OU and KU. Clearly Texas brings the most cash though

Texas brings the most potential and resources of the 3. That was the point. Kansas brings BB tradition and nothing else. OU has done a lot with little resources. Big 10 tried your theory with Nebraska. How is that going? That was a program with rich history and little resources, outside of interest and money. Took them out of their comfort zone and things haven’t translated. I’ll help you with this. If you have checked the money box, ask these questions:

Do they have national brand? Do they have easy access to recruits? Or do they need to fight nationally to get recruits? If they have to constantly fight from a distance for recruits? That doesn’t always mean in-state, because that isn’t true. Bama doesn’t fit that profile, but there are a shit ton of recruits within 300 miles of Tuscaloosa. Put SAban at Kansas, OU, or Texas. I’ll bet he wins titles at 2 school. No chance at Kansas. Put Coach K or Calipari at Texas and they probably win titles at all 3

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Texas wouldn't be a threat to them most years. And unless Wisconsin suddenly completely falls off a cliff, OU would be facing a better defense than they have for many years in the Big 12.

Didn't we beat you?

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Arkansas would be nice, but don't see that happening.
Arizona and Arizona State could bolt for more money.
BYU is a good brand.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at what OU has done. Why should they leave?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*This is why you fired Beaty*

KU's attempt at kissing up to the BIG will probably fail, but may as well try.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdue plays in the Big Ten. They're what booted the B1G, not the Big 12. If OSU doesn't shit the bed against Purdue, ya'll could've played 10 CCGs and it wouldn't have mattered.
Nope, that's why the BIG is looking to change its CCG now to the 2 best teams... Just like us.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big ten west is the most boring division in America. Texas recruits would have to sustain that crap division, so basically Texas gets nothing in return and offers up everything, no thanks.

Mary. Land.

You cocksucker.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always felt like David Boren was shopping around for the most Research money he could get, and using the football program as bait, to make that happen. Stay clean. Win a lot. blah blah blah. Make a lot of money.

Hasn't so far.
Might in the future.

basement bias

FlyingWolver9er
Pleasant Mills/Rivare(Bobo) IN/Willshire/Wren OH
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think the FBS needs to split into 2 divisions. P5 and G5 with each having 80 teams. Move about 30 of the top FCS programs up to G5. Have 8 conferences of 20 teams, 10 P5 and 10 G5 teams each with promotion and relegation for bottom 2 teams in P5 replaced by top 2 G5 teams. Have all 20 teams share the revenue equally. Play 9 game round robin and 3 non conference games.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see a deal with the PAC one day because the PAC has room for 4 and Texas and Oklahoma have the clout to force them to take 4. The Big 10? They've only got room for 2. Oh, and will academic snobbery allow the Big 10 to take a school (Oklahoma) that is not in the AAU? They've never taken one in the past. I know Nebraska lost their membership but they were in when they joined. Again, that'd be a tough sell to those university presidents in the Big 10 who would catch all kinds of hell from their Faculty.

To me 18 teams makes more sense though so grabbing OU, Texas , Kansas and WVU would be my play

Only room for 2? Why is 16 a magic number? What about 18, or 17, or 15?

Remember there is talk going around about conferences possibly considering going division-less. Eliminate divisions and suddenly conferences with an odd number of members would be fine.

Also.... Notre Dame is not AAU but the B1G would take the Irish in a heartbeat. AAU is a preference, but not a requirement for B1G membership.