• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Awesome Story

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
only read the article you linked, but it sounds like a really cool story

typical beamer..

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he gets a chance to prove himself at least. Great story

HokieEsq

SportsHoopla Neophyte
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Amazing story. I can only imagine his impact on the character of whatever team he makes. I think he should get a trip down to NOLA for the bowl.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great story. i really hope he gets ihis shot at VT

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
if you check the recruiting thread we have mentioned some info about him. It appears that he may be enrolling at VT in a few weeks, they are working hard to do so, but he may have to get some more work done on his part before he can enroll so we really don't know much at this time. I know the admissions office has been talking to him trying to work everything out. Beamer will contact him after the dead period.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you check the recruiting thread we have mentioned some info about him. It appears that he may be enrolling at VT in a few weeks, they are working hard to do so, but he may have to get some more work done on his part before he can enroll so we really don't know much at this time. I know the admissions office has been talking to him trying to work everything out. Beamer will contact him after the dead period.

Another little tidbit--One thing I kinda picked up on was that Rodriguez and JR Collins and Isaiah Hamlette went to the same school (Brooke Point HS, Stafford VA) and were probably only a year or two apart meaning they probably played together at some point. Don't know that they are in any way involved with this, but thought it was coincidental.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Another little tidbit--One thing I kinda picked up on was that Rodriguez and JR Collins and Isaiah Hamlette went to the same school (Brooke Point HS, Stafford VA) and were probably only a year or two apart meaning they probably played together at some point. Don't know that they are in any way involved with this, but thought it was coincidental.

I read an article that said Rodriguez and Collins still keep in touch from time to time. I'll look and see if I can find it.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Update on Twitter from Daniel Rodriguez:

danielrod88 Daniel
Got another call from Frank Beamer, hoping this means good things are to come
2 hours ago

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What position do you guys think he is best suited for in college? At 4.6 I see him as maybe a little slow for a DB, but I think he has the right size for that position (although probably a safety given his strength)

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What position do you guys think he is best suited for in college? At 4.6 I see him as maybe a little slow for a DB, but I think he has the right size for that position (although probably a safety given his strength)

40-times are not always the best indicator of how well someone can perform on the field. I personally believe a player's time in the 10-yard dash is the best speed indicator and wish the various recruiting services would also start timing players and reporting that speed.

JMHO, but the best DBs must have a combination of good football IQ, good to excellent 40-times, and excellent lateral movement to be able to react quickly to the ball.

As far as Tech's WRs are concerned, players who run precise routes and block well are going to see the field. Tech's had a number of guys go through the program who had very good 40-times, but couldn't get on the field because they either ran bad routes and/or couldn't/wouldn't block.

But all of that is probably a moot point...Rodriguez will probably see his first time at Tech on the Scout Team with a chance to see the field on Special Teams. His film seems to indicate that he has good heart, good football instincts, and good game speed...hope he gets a chance to earn a position at Tech.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may not have great top end speed but is he quick off the ball? Could be a good slot possession guy or a Safety. His football IQ as stated above and his execution will determine if he will see the field, not his 40 time.

jgHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is why i love being a Hokie! if anyone deserves a shot...this kid does.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think u guys Are spot on. Special teams, defense (safety or whip type guy), or even WR. Looks to me like he had above average hands in his video.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Continuing the saga....

danielrod88 Daniel
Dan Rather is a go.... filming for the next two days #HDnet I still can't believe this is happening

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Frank Beamer to appear on 'Dan Rather Reports' story about Army veteran, football hopeful Daniel Rodriguez

QUOTE:

"Daniel was treated for his wounds in-country and completed his 12-month tour. He is home now, and is taking advantage of the GI Bill by attending school at Germanna Community College in Fredericksburg. He wants to transfer to a four-year institution and resume his football career—and his dream is to do it at Virginia Tech."

...and...

You'll note that Beamer does not comment specifically about Rodriguez. NCAA rules prohibit him from talking about prospective players who have not signed a national letter of intent with the school. This is a long way from being a done deal at Virginia Tech (or any other school, for that matter). Rodriguez would have to get into school before he could try out for the football team.

But, Beamer sounds open to the idea. As he said in the clip from the Rather show: "Over the years, I think we've been a team that hasn't always gone on how big are you or how fast are you. It's how you play the game. ... And with that in mind, I think it's likely that I'd give an under-sized, over-the-age, Army guy a chance."