• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Award Season

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The regular season is over, so let's give out the awards.

MVP - list top 10
CY - list top 5
ROY - list top 3

These are the ballots that the writers get, so we should mirror that.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AL MVP:
1. Mike Trout
2. Josh Donaldson
3. Michael Brantley
4. Alex Gordon
5. Adrian Beltre
6. Felix Hernandez
7. Robinson Cano
8. Corey Kluber
9. Jose Bautista
10. Kyle Seager

NL MVP:
1. Clayton Kershaw
2. Andrew McCutchen
3. Jonathan Lucroy
4. Giancarlo Stanton
5. Russell Martin
6. Anthony Rendon
7. Buster Posey
8. Johnny Cueto
9. Yasiel Puig
10. Troy Tulowitzki

(2-4 are interchangeable. Stanton would be 2nd if not for the unfortunate injury. Tulo was MVP before the injury.)

AL CYA:
1. Felix Hernandez
2. Corey Kluber
3. Jon Lester
4. Chris Sale
5. Max Scherzer

(I thought Sale was the most dominant pitcher in the AL this year, but the inning gap was just too much.)

NL CYA:
1. Clayton Kershaw
2. Johnny Cueto
3. Adam Wainwright
4. Cole Hamels
5. Jordan Zimmermann

AL RoY:
1. Jose Abreu
2. Collin McHugh
3. Masahiro Tanaka

NL RoY:
1. Jacob deGrom
2. Ender Inciarte
3. Billy Hamilton

This year's AL rookies were far more impressive than the NL group, that's for sure. Ender Inciarte is such an awesome name.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NL ROY

1) Hamilton
2) DeGrom
3) Peralta

Hamilton really fell as the season went on, but he really put together the best season of the class. I was really struggling between Peralta and Panik for the third spot. While I think it is clear that Panik will have the better career, Peralta has MUCH more pop in his bat, and he displayed it. Panik, however, plays a more important position and played in meaningful games. I view the ROY as a "numbers" award, much like the CY, so I went with the pure numbers here. I would not be surprised to see Panik actually take third in the real voting, though.

AL ROY

1) Abreu
2) Santana
3) McHugh

WOW! What a STACKED class. Abreu should win it going away, but the other spots could have gone to any of a ton of players. Shoemaker, Ventura, Odirizzi, Tanaka and Springer all got consideration.

NL CY

1) Kershaw
2) Cueto
3) Wainwright
4) Bumgarner
5) Strasburg

AL CY

1) Hernandez
2) Sale
3) Kluber
4) Scherzer
5) Lester

NL MVP

1) McCutchen
2) Stanton
3) Kershaw
4) Posey
5) Werth
6) Rendon
7) Rizzo
8) Puig
9) Pence
10) Kemp

AL MVP

1) Trout
2) Abreu
3) Altuve
4) Martinez
5) Bautista
6) Brantley
7) Cabrera (Det)
8) Beltre
9) Gordon
10) Cruz

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't got the patience to rattle of top 10s lol.

Top 5 AL MVP
1. Trout
2. Abreu
3. Donaldson
4. Felix
5. Gordon

NL MVP

1. Kershaw
2. Stanton
3. McCuthchen
4. Posey
5. Rendon

AL CY
1. Felix
2. Kluber
3. Sale
4. Lester
5. Scherzer

NL Cy Young
1. Kershaw
2. Wainwright
3. Cueto
4. Bumgarner
5. Hamels

AL ROY
1. Abreu
2. Santana(surprised cals had this too. Most don't talk bout him)
3. McHugh

NL Roy
1. de Gram
2. Hamilton
3. Inciarte

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking back at mine, there's a couple I really hated leaving off, especially Abreu (probably would have had him somewhere around 6-10). There were just a lot of great seasons.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking back at mine, there's a couple I really hated leaving off, especially Abreu (probably would have had him somewhere around 6-10). There were just a lot of great seasons.

Danny Santana!!!

But yeah I see you left Vmart off your AL MVP list as well(I only did top 5 though). Think back on it I think I would maybe squeeze Vmart in over Gordon. His numbers were just goooooooooooood.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danny Santana!!!

But yeah I see you left Vmart off your AL MVP list as well(I only did top 5 though). Think back on it I think I would maybe squeeze Vmart in over Gordon. His numbers were just goooooooooooood.

there's two guys I hated to leave off. Probably could have squeezed them in somewhere. I don't think I voted for David Ortiz last year, and Ortiz had himself a great year (159 OPS+), granted V-Mart's numbers were better (169 OPS+). Not sure I'd put him ahead of Gordon, I put a lot of weight into positional value/defense.

Could definitely argue Santana over Tanaka and maybe McHugh. McHugh hasn't been talked about much either, he really came out of nowhere.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Abreu and Tanaka got all the talk. If Tanaka wasn't hurt, he would have been an easy #2 (maybe #1).

How can you NOT include Santana? He put up competitive offensive numbers while playing a premium defensive position. He would get my vote if he were in the NL.

As for VMart (and Ortiz, for that matter), I am an NL guy. DHs have to be more than just "goooooooooooood" to get any real consideration. That is an abomination of a position!! If VMart played even 1B (regularly), he would have been my #2, and MAYBE my #1. His offensive numbers were pretty damned dominating.

Last edited by a moderator:

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NL MVP

1) McCutchen
2) Stanton
3) Kershaw
4) Posey
5) Werth
6) Rendon
7) Rizzo
8) Puig
9) Pence
10) Kemp

You don't think Lucroy will finish top 10? I think he's got a shot to finish somewhere around top 5.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah Ha!!!

Ah Ha!!!

Ah Ha!!!

For the record, I had him in my top 5 a few weeks ago when I made an MVP thread. He shouldn't finish much lower than Posey, as both should finish in the 4-6 range.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, I had him in my top 5 a few weeks ago when I made an MVP thread. He shouldn't finish much lower than Posey, as both should finish in the 4-6 range.

He had a fine year. It is fair to place him on the list. However, his numbers weren't DOMINANT and his team did not make the playoffs (using MY criteria). If the Brewers had made the playoffs, he would have been on the list, almost certainly, and probably around the 5-8 range. As it is, I could see him getting on my ballot over a guy like Kemp. He made my list mainly because he provided so much more to the Dodgers than what was expected.

If they made the playoffs over the Giants, I could see him taking Poseys spot on the ballot.

And FTR, I filled my ballot out as my ballot. Not as a predictor for who would win/place. I think 'shaw will win the MVP, but I only had him #3 on my ballot.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a fine year. It is fair to place him on the list. However, his numbers weren't DOMINANT and his team did not make the playoffs (using MY criteria). If the Brewers had made the playoffs, he would have been on the list, almost certainly, and probably around the 5-8 range. As it is, I could see him getting on my ballot over a guy like Kemp. He made my list mainly because he provided so much more to the Dodgers than what was expected.

If they made the playoffs over the Giants, I could see him taking Poseys spot on the ballot.

And FTR, I filled my ballot out as my ballot. Not as a predictor for who would win/place. I think 'shaw will win the MVP, but I only had him #3 on my ballot.

Not only did Lucroy had a 132 OPS+ at a position not known for offense and he rated as one of the better defensive catchers (and pitch framers).

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lucroy did break the doubles record so that was damn impressive.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a fine year. It is fair to place him on the list. However, his numbers weren't DOMINANT and his team did not make the playoffs (using MY criteria). .

He had an OPS that was 134 points better than the league average catcher...how is that not dominant?

By comparison, you have Hunter Pence on there who not only had a lower OPS than Lucroy, but his OPS was a mere 33 points better than the average RFer.

Is making the playoffs 90% of your criteria? Because that's the only way I could see you having Pence over Lucroy, unless you're really being biased because Pence wears a Giants jersey.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Making the playoffs is a huge factor in my ballot. In fact, if the Giants don't make the playoffs, I am not sure eithe Posey or Pence make my top 10. Pence certainly does not. The only 2 non-playoff players I have on my list are Stanton and Rizzo, and I am not a huge fan of my Rizzo pick.

Again, I would not argue anyone including Lucroy on their list. If the Crew make the playoffs, he is certainly on mine.

Look, after the top 4 or 5, it purely a case of "I want this guy to get some recognition" anyway.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AL MVP
1. Mike Trout
2. Robinson Cano
3. Victor Martinez
4. Michael Brantley
5. Felix Hernandez
6. Josh Donaldson
7. Jose Abreu
8. Nelson Cruz
9. Alex Gordon
10. Adrian Beltre

AL CYA
1. Felix Hernandez
2. Corey Kluber
3. Chris Sale
4. Jon Lester
5. David Price

AL ROY
1. Jose Abreu
2. Collin McHugh
3. Dellin Betances

NL MVP
1. Clayton Kershaw
2. Andrew McCutchen
3. Giancarlo Stanton
4. Anthony Rendon
5. Jonathan Lucroy
6. Adam Wainwright
7. Yasiel Puig
8. Russell Martin
9. Buster Posey
10. Johnny Cueto

NL CYA
1. Clayton Kershaw
2. Johnny Cueto
3. Adam Wainwright
4. Jordan Zimmermann
5. Julio Teheran

NL ROY
1. Jacob deGrom
2. Kyle Hendricks
3. Billy Hamilton

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NL ROY

1) Hamilton
2) DeGrom
3) Peralta

Hamilton really fell as the season went on, but he really put together the best season of the class. I was really struggling between Peralta and Panik for the third spot. While I think it is clear that Panik will have the better career, Peralta has MUCH more pop in his bat, and he displayed it. Panik, however, plays a more important position and played in meaningful games. I view the ROY as a "numbers" award, much like the CY, so I went with the pure numbers here. I would not be surprised to see Panik actually take third in the real voting, though.
I really like your ballots, but how in the blue hell was Hamilton "the best season of the class"???? deGrom had a much better season.