• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Avengers 5: Doomsday (2026)

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had to find an independent source for this, but apparently, this is true.

wtf?

Well the source I linked was actually there, lol. I dont know why youd have to look after the fact

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the source I linked was actually there, lol. I dont know why youd have to look after the fact
Because it was a crazy claim. I doubt EVERYTHING I see online. Hell, I doubt most of what I see irl.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes Marvel has a lot of holes in both the cinema world and real life I am sure they are still trying to build the path to figure out who is going to play black panther and how to incorporate him back into the universe. I am not sure if Tom Holland will be available to keep playing spiderman as he is gaining so much more work in other ventures. I think they need to move away from the Avengers for the time being and Dr. Doom is more of a nemesis to the fantastic 4 anyway.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes Marvel has a lot of holes in both the cinema world and real life I am sure they are still trying to build the path to figure out who is going to play black panther and how to incorporate him back into the universe. I am not sure if Tom Holland will be available to keep playing spiderman as he is gaining so much more work in other ventures. I think they need to move away from the Avengers for the time being and Dr. Doom is more of a nemesis to the fantastic 4 anyway.

i have said this for a long time now... as great as the Marvel universe has been, they started the universe all wrong... they started the universe with Iron man and Captain America with only the avengers in mind...

the marvel comic universe revolves around the Fantastic 4...

the problem now is that they have established some great characters, and are unwilling to part with them... even when they bring new characters in, they seem to just backstep to go back to the established...

bringing in fantastic 4 now is going to be very delicate... and i feel like they fear it not succeeding, but they want to still bring in the major villains... so they of course will make it a avengers villain...

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My .02 is that he'll do a good job. He was basically perfect for Iron Man and just good for Doom but Doom himself is a good villain and thats what Marvel needs right now. Its an overpay and imo Iron Man 3 is the weakest MCU movie I've seen so it doesn't guarantee that the movie will be good.

The Russo involvement is probably key here. I think that likely guarantees at least part of the movie will be good. At worst. So I'm excited.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Desperate

Between him and the Russos, this movie is at what, 150 mil before they've even filmed anything? Add in everyone else and what are they gonna have to hit to break even? 300 mil? 500 mil?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Between him and the Russos, this movie is at what, 150 mil before they've even filmed anything? Add in everyone else and what are they gonna have to hit to break even? 300 mil? 500 mil?
Typically, break even is about 4x operating budget.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which they will do easy. Not only are they bringing back RDJ that people love, they’re bringing back the directors of the 2 best Avengers movies and so they already have a built-in history of success.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Typically, break even is about 4x operating budget.

@wildturkey

Way more than that. Let's say a their production budget is $300M (not outlandish with this, could be more frankly). Then you have marketing which is usually about 50% of production for a movie like that. So that's $450M or so and you know this will get a TON of marketing, so $450M is prob. the cheapest case... So you think, "Oh $450M they'll make that no problem to break even!"

Well, in terms of box office, the GROSS sales always get reported. But domestic (so US in this case) theaters keep about 40% of sales, and International Theaters keep about 60% of sales.

So... let's say the movie makes $1B and it's a 50/50 split international/domestic... that means the PROFIT the studio makes is only about $50M in this scenario ($1B * 50%) - $450M. And I'd argue it'll be more than $450M... the film will prob. need to make $1.2B to break even.

So yah, the film has to gross well over $1B likely to be a major success. As cal said, about 4x production cost ... $300M x 4 = $1.2B. Basically what I computed above as rough what if numbers. Now some SMALLER independent movies or less budget movies don't have NEAR the marketing cost, so the x4 really doesn't apply... And they only domestically release, so their number is probably more in the 2x range.

Last edited:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@wildturkey

Way more than that. Let's say a their production budget is $300M (not outlandish with this, could be more frankly). Then you have marketing which is usually about 50% of production for a movie like that. So that's $450M or so and you know this will get a TON of marketing, so $450M is prob. the cheapest case... So you think, "Oh $450M they'll make that no problem to break even!"

Well, in terms of box office, the GROSS sales always get reported. But domestic (so US in this case) theaters keep about 40% of sales, and International Theaters keep about 60% of sales.

So... let's say the movie makes $1B and it's a 50/50 split international/domestic... that means the PROFIT the studio makes is only about $50M in this scenario ($1B * 50%) - $450M. And I'd argue it'll be more than $450M... the film will prob. need to make $1.2B to break even.

So yah, the film has to gross well over $1B likely to be a major success.
The studios only get approx 50% of the gate. The theaters need to be paid as well.

if it costs a studio $500M to produce/market a movie, that movie needs to have a gate of approx $1B (ignoring the legit point of dom v Int) just to break even.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The studios only get approx 50% of the gate. The theaters need to be paid as well.

if it costs a studio $500M to produce/market a movie, that movie needs to have a gate of approx $1B (ignoring the legit point of dom v Int) just to break even.

Right, I was moreso responding to turkey which is why I @'d, and just quoted your post. You and I are saying the same thing if you read through.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, I was moreso responding to turkey which is why I @'d, and just quoted your post. You and I are saying the same thing if you read through.
When I hit the respond button, your clarification edit wasn’t posted yet.

But yes, we are essentially saying the same thing (you went in to deeper detail than me)

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I hit the respond button, your clarification edit wasn’t posted yet.

But yes, we are essentially saying the same thing (you went in to deeper detail than me)

Yah I added that part at the end to clarify I was in agreement with you lol. I realize quoting you prob. was confusing, but looks like we're good! :suds: