• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Avengers 4: Endgame (2019)

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Endgame was way better than Infinity Wars and Thor Ragnarok. Actual character development, proper tone, character arcs, and satisfying conclusions.

My only complaint is that we didn't get a scene with
Lebowski Thor trying to seduce Natalie Portman
Major missed opportunity there. Its also a bit long but I'm okay with that.

I mentioned that Captain Marvel was going to ruin this movie in the Captain Marvel thread but Marvel seemed to mostly agree with me so she spent like 98% of the movie on a different planet because she was too strong.

Overall its a top 2 MCU movie. Probably the best.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Endgame was way better than Infinity Wars and Thor Ragnarok. Actual character development, proper tone, character arcs, and satisfying conclusions.

I mentioned that Captain Marvel was going to ruin this movie in the Captain Marvel thread but Marvel seemed to mostly agree with me so she spent like 98% of the movie on a different planet because she was too strong.

i don't know where to put this in the MCU, as I've never put much thought into it, but Captain American series was better than the Avengers Series. Been a while since i've seen Civil War, but imagine it was better than this. Hell, Infinity was probably better than this if we're being honest.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't know where to put this in the MCU, as I've never put much thought into it, but Captain American series was better than the Avengers Series. Been a while since i've seen Civil War, but imagine it was better than this. Hell, Infinity was probably better than this if we're being honest.
I definitely have a different opinion of the movies.

Civil War is absolutely ridiculous. Infinity Wars was like a big tease and Endgame finished the job.

Winter Soldier is the only movie I'd put on the same level as Endgame but Endgame had so much more fan service.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got out of the theater and loved this. I thought this was better than Infiniti Wars. I wish Captain Marvel had a bigger role in this just because ....wood!

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely have a different opinion of the movies.

Civil War is absolutely ridiculous. Infinity Wars was like a big tease and Endgame finished the job.

Winter Soldier is the only movie I'd put on the same level as Endgame but Endgame had so much more fan service.
it's been a while since i've seen the movies, that being said, i know it's all fan service. that said...

I get what this movie was going for and I get why people are digging it.
Start off with hawkeye and showing his loss. Cut to the trailer spots, Tony with his farewell, cue Captain Marvel. Continue the trailer scenes at HQ. Stones gone, quick kill of Thanos. Cut to 5 years...

Did everyone die? Captain America is in a group therapy session with like 6 people? Plus they showed a vacant new york beforehand? the cat talked about missing the mets (i didn't pick up on the fact he was gay until the other poster put it in his spoiler, my biggest take away was, why did they do away with sports? even if all the athletes went away, that's something america would have found a way to go back to.) that said, not important, everyone carried on in ridiculous ways. Cap depressed and trying to help out 5 people at a time, Tony finally living his family life, Thor leaning into the many parodies made about him, Dr. Hulk, dabbing for kids? While also not providing anything else to the movie? That said, Hulk did provide some exposition with Conan, but Rowdy Roddy War Machine was clearly Mr. Exposition of this movie, which I enjoyed, as they tried to explain why it makes sense to do some things.

That said we got ahead of ourselves. Original Avengers still around. Thanos killed, five years go by. Dumb fuck comes back due to a rat that was able to activate a button from a very precarious machine that was put in storage right because... and then he was able to put together how to... sort of...

with that said, i brought up civil war because it had a better plot and a better fight scene. while it was cool to see everyone coming back through the portals and being introduced into the movie, they never really played a part against the huge army they were against. again, i liked this movie, but we all know it's dumb shit, yes? fucking sixers.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That’s my biggest issue with Captain Marvel tho

She’s so fucking strong they have to make up stupid basic reasons that she’s missing in this movie and over the last decade of battles

“Uhh yeah I’m doing other shit, couldn’t make it sorry”.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was awesome. Tons of fun and so rewarding if you've been there from the start. Though like most time travel movies, I feel like the more you think about it, the more it falls apart so I'm choosing to just go with it and have a good time.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Probably would have happened if Portman wasn't done with these movies

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So do I need to see captain marvel before I watch endgame? I’ve missed a bunch of the marvel movies before infinity war and had no trouble following along, will this be any different?

Somewhat surprisingly, no. It's not necessary. Without giving too much away, Marvel's role in the movie isn't really large enough to go out of your way to see Captain Marvel before seeing it. You'll be able to follow along if all you know is she's super powerful and a good guy. The Captain Marvel movie is really more to set her up as a character for the Phase 4 movies than it is for Endgame.

But you definitely need to check out the others though.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was awesome. Tons of fun and so rewarding if you've been there from the start. Though like most time travel movies, I feel like the more you think about it, the more it falls apart so I'm choosing to just go with it and have a good time.

What I pulled from Rotten Tomatoes on the time travel stuff;

Time Is Immutable, Except When It Isn’t: Time Travel Just Changed Everything

With all its joking criticism of Back to the Future, Endgame seemingly sides with the notion that time is an immutable series of events, and changes to the past will create a new timeline while the time-traveler causing those changes returns to their original, unchanged present.

OK, yeah, that’s confusing. To simplify: Loki’s Endgame escape does not change Thor’s experiences with him in Thor: The Dark World, Ragnarok, or Infinity War because time cannot be altered. The escaped Loki in Endgame is part of one of those tangent realities the Ancient One (Tilda Swinton) warned Hulk about. This is why Tony could unmake the Thanos from 2014 without erasing the events of Guardians of the Galaxy or any of the subsequent films. All of it still happened. This is also why Nebula could shoot her past self without it affecting her present-day form.

If you can wrap your head around the notion of an unchangeable past, Endgame‘s rules about time travel are simple enough.

And then we get to Endgame’s closing moments, with an aged Steve Rogers, who clearly took the slow path back to his friends after dropping off the Infinity Stones in their original places in time. If time is immutable, then he gets to live his life with Peggy (Hayley Atwell) without altering the timeline. Like Loki, he creates another tangent reality. But his very appearance to hand off his shield and identity to Sam Wilson (Anthony Mackie) means the timeline is not as secure as Hulk, Tony, or even the Ancient One assumed it to be. Unless, of course, he found a way to use Loki’s Tesseract (in combination with the Time Stone) to cross timelines.

But it seems more likely that Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) was right all along and the rules from Back to the Future are in play (it’s no accident the team breaks all of them across the plot of Endgame).

The older Steve’s presence in Endgame indicates that time in the MCU is also malleable. To borrow a line from The Flash, the timeline can be changed and that may prove to be as big of a threat as the Infinity Stones themselves – especially as all you need is some Pym Particles and a little know-how to invade the past and alter history. And even if time is solid, those tangent realities the Ancient One feared could pose some threat in Phase 4.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I pulled from Rotten Tomatoes on the time travel stuff;

Time Is Immutable, Except When It Isn’t: Time Travel Just Changed Everything

With all its joking criticism of Back to the Future, Endgame seemingly sides with the notion that time is an immutable series of events, and changes to the past will create a new timeline while the time-traveler causing those changes returns to their original, unchanged present.

OK, yeah, that’s confusing. To simplify: Loki’s Endgame escape does not change Thor’s experiences with him in Thor: The Dark World, Ragnarok, or Infinity War because time cannot be altered. The escaped Loki in Endgame is part of one of those tangent realities the Ancient One (Tilda Swinton) warned Hulk about. This is why Tony could unmake the Thanos from 2014 without erasing the events of Guardians of the Galaxy or any of the subsequent films. All of it still happened. This is also why Nebula could shoot her past self without it affecting her present-day form.

If you can wrap your head around the notion of an unchangeable past, Endgame‘s rules about time travel are simple enough.

And then we get to Endgame’s closing moments, with an aged Steve Rogers, who clearly took the slow path back to his friends after dropping off the Infinity Stones in their original places in time. If time is immutable, then he gets to live his life with Peggy (Hayley Atwell) without altering the timeline. Like Loki, he creates another tangent reality. But his very appearance to hand off his shield and identity to Sam Wilson (Anthony Mackie) means the timeline is not as secure as Hulk, Tony, or even the Ancient One assumed it to be. Unless, of course, he found a way to use Loki’s Tesseract (in combination with the Time Stone) to cross timelines.

But it seems more likely that Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) was right all along and the rules from Back to the Future are in play (it’s no accident the team breaks all of them across the plot of Endgame).

The older Steve’s presence in Endgame indicates that time in the MCU is also malleable. To borrow a line from The Flash, the timeline can be changed and that may prove to be as big of a threat as the Infinity Stones themselves – especially as all you need is some Pym Particles and a little know-how to invade the past and alter history. And even if time is solid, those tangent realities the Ancient One feared could pose some threat in Phase 4.

Yeah, I figured there'd be something like tangent lines considering this is Marvel afterall. In various Marvel comic series, there's tons of different alternate timelines. I just hope they don't delve too deep into that stuff when it comes to the movies because a lot of that stuff gets really confusing and complicated. One of the reasons I stopped following X-Men was all the alt stuff they started doing somewhere in the 00s [/spoilers]

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Projected to have a $1B Worldwide - $350M domestic opening weekend.

Insane.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Projected to have a $1B Worldwide - $350M domestic opening weekend.

Insane.

Infinity War did about $250 million opening weekend so to beat it by $100 million is insane. It might be a feat that won’t be broken for along time.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Infinity War did about $250 million opening weekend so to beat it by $100 million is insane. It might be a feat that won’t be broken for along time.

They are breaking the current record by 40%. Without counting Sunday, they already surpassed the domestic and world wide total of Justice League.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Girls watch these movies too. Heaven forbid some little girl out there has a 10 second scene to nerd out to.
Ok, it wasn't forced and super-contrived, it was completely organic and natural.

Heaven forbid anyone have their own opinion on it and that opinion have any negative critiques in it it whatsoever, so you nerds don't drop a nut over it or anything.

BPNAZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably would have happened if Portman wasn't done with these movies
yeah I don't think she was ever actually in the movie and they just used unused footage from dark world she made it clear in past she was completely done with these movies which is why

Rocket's extraction of the eether/Reality Stone is done off camera

BPNAZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will be interesting to see if Agents of Shield upcoming season takes place during that 5 year window when half of life was gone........if they have the balls to do that, or will it just start 5 years later, OR, will they just completely ignore it altogether and act like everything is normal

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The entire crux of the movie relies on the fact that you have to accept that its a comic book movie. This was basically the only way for them to tie together so many disparate plot arcs. Because of the lazy premise, they are able to tie together so many loose ends in satisfying ways. So many.

Like if the rat starting up the machine at the start bothers someone
then this movie probably wasn't made for you. They could've done some really complex chaos theory stuff in this movie but they didn't because it didn't take itself too seriously.

Civil War was a movie that tried to take itself seriously and because of that it looks really ridiculous in my eyes. Once you turn the MCU into the Incredibles then you go down a rabbit hole of real world implication that don't belong in the movie. If Iron Man and Captain America actually existed then the whole civilized world would turn into Wakanda in terms of technology. It would immediately turn the modern setting into sci fi. There is a reason that the movie has no implications on any of the other MCU movies other than introducing Spider-man. Comic book movies can't exist with that kind of scrutiny without turning into sci fi movies. My .02