• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Autonomous driving / Autopilot...?

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody have any experience with these systems? I know Tesla's are considered the best of the bunch on this, even after the government regulations forcing them to turn it down. But it seems like all of the other manufacturers are working towards the same thing. I'm assuming they're all in the same range. They're just starting to trickle down to regular family vehicles from the more expensive models.

And on the vehicle I'm looking at, it's an extra 7-8% of the price to get that one extra feature. Well you get more than 1 feature, but that's the only one I'm interested in. The way my schedule works out, once a month I get out of a 12 hour shift, drive 2 hours to pick up my kids from their mother for the weekend and then drive home. On occasion I've struggled to keep my eyes open by the end of that drive. I'm wondering if assisted driving is better than a redbull for that? Or if its $6,000 for a a feature that I want to use 12 times a year and may not actually do anything helpful.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There will come a time when we will have no choice. I know this. They will make nonautonomous illegal. I know this. 5 years 25 years. I do not know when it is coming but it is coming.
There will be people that will come out of there homes and ask there car to take them to work and the car will tell them, Sorry Chuck, there is snow predicted for this afternoon, I cannot bring you to work because the roads may be slippery on the return trip.
Or driving along in west Texas and the car will not respond to demands for a change of course because it calculates the distance as 5 miles past it's range to the nearest gas station.
Not to mention the Amazon Alexa monitoring your shit at home will also monitor your travels in your car and tie it together. Or your Google accounts.
"Alexa, bring me to the strip club!"
"No Chuck, you've already been twice this week. I'll just bring you to the nearest church and will forward a log of your activities to your wife."

I will remain in control of my vehicle for as long as possible.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate Alexa too.

I almost feel soiled talking to the cable box remote control...

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just keeping her around for a quick metric conversion is worth it alone.

We've had metric up here for quite a while now and I can ballpark back to imperial quite well, volumes, weights, temps, speeds.

Those puny US gallons though...