• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Automatic 1st Down

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst call in the NFL.

3rd and 23, and a guy off the play tugs on a jersey, not effecting the play at all, yet, Automatic 1st down. How about 5 yards (or even 10) and replay 3rd down.

Calls that piss me off,
1) Defensive Holding (as mentioned above), automatic 1st Down.
2) Some redonkulous celebration penalty, reallllly, we as fans love this shit. Taunting is different.
3) The WHOLE offsides, encroachment, illegal procedure etc.
A) if you move first on the OL, it is a penalty.
B) if you cross the LOS from the D without any O movement, it is a penalty, regardless of the O.
C) same as B, if you on D cross the LOS, that's it. Play over. 5 yard penalty. No getting back for free.
D) No fucking free plays. If a penalty has occurred at the LOS, stop the play NOW.
4) A guy in the neutral zone is called "every now and then" kind of like NBA FT violations.....joke.
5) The under thrown 40+ yard pass that is "Uncatchable" yet the O player comes back and hits the defender, and it is a 40+ yard penalty.
6) 12 men on the field, is that an automatic 1st down???? Not sure, but as mentioned before, no automatic 1st downs. I hate that. Is there a difference between actually playing with 12 guys, versus the 12th guy is trying to get off the field, but is .5 second short, even though he didn't participate.
7) The 'football move' rule. c'mon.....make a clear rule on this. And make each rule clear, such as...
A) In the field of play.
B) On the sideline.
C) In the endzone, the CJ play, cmon man, that was a TD.
D) the Dez play, was that one of the above???? (A) not (C)
There CAN be separate rules for each, (Maybe the same) just decide NFL.
8) I LOVE the NFL, I would be great in the Front Office, I'll even take only 700,000 a year. lol.

Please provide your thoughts on ANY of the 8. Specify the # of the 8. I like #8, vote me in please. lol.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Changes I want to see:

1) Bring back 5 yard face masks. Incidental is incidental.
2) No more spot of the foul defensive PI. Make it college rules.
3) Offsides should be a stop in play, similar to neutral zone infraction.

That's about it. PI really pisses me off... these giant 30-40 yard penalties are just complete BS. Put the ball on the 1 yard line with 3-4 downs, give me a break. Offsides with free plays is also 100% absolute bullshit. How come the defense doesn't get a 'free play' with false starts?

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Automatic first downs on defensive penalties are stupid. The only penalties that should be automatic first downs are personal fouls. Other than that, give them the penalty yardage and replay the down if it doesn't result in a first.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Automatic first downs on defensive penalties are stupid. The only penalties that should be automatic first downs are personal fouls. Other than that, give them the penalty yardage and replay the down if it doesn't result in a first.

100% agreed, good sir.

I do think the auto first on pass interference is fair, but let's keep it at 10 or 15 yards max.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% agreed, good sir.

I do think the auto first on pass interference is fair, but let's keep it at 10 or 15 yards max.

I agree. Wonder if the competition committee made it a spot foul because if not teams would just commmit PI all the time because it is only 10 or 15 yards.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is like that because a defensive back can hold a player to keep him from breaking free for an 80 TD pass.

Instead of changing the rule, the coaches should just coach situational football and stress to his players that on a 3rd and super long that the DB not put their hands on the guy they are covering.

It is less about a flaw in the rule than it is a flaw by the coaches and players.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like how you can be 3 and 25 and get a 5 yard penalty which gives you a first down but I sort understand the logic behind it. The temptation to do a penalty on purpose for the defense would be too high if all that happened was 5 yards got walked off and you got to re-do third down with 20 yards to go. That would be a huge advantage to the defense. Right now its lopsided in favor of the offense but that's what the NFL wants. Big scores are more fun (according to the NFL) than low defensive scoring games.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wish the Refs would use a shred of common sense and call the penalties that only affect the game. Nothing is more irksome than some flag thrown on the opposite side of the field for a slight jersey tug during a kick return or a long TD pass.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like how you can be 3 and 25 and get a 5 yard penalty which gives you a first down but I sort understand the logic behind it. The temptation to do a penalty on purpose for the defense would be too high if all that happened was 5 yards got walked off and you got to re-do third down with 20 yards to go. That would be a huge advantage to the defense. Right now its lopsided in favor of the offense but that's what the NFL wants. Big scores are more fun (according to the NFL) than low defensive scoring games.

This.

Plus:

"We have them backed up 3rd and 25 now, no penalties guys."

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny, I was just thinking this same thing yesterday. It sucks how the defense can get hosed into giving up a first down on a ticky-tack play, but the offense then can turn around and literally mug a defender and all that happens is the penalty doesn't count or they get to replay the down. Not equal in any way. Automatic firsts should be made a thing of the past. Step off the yardage, even adjust the penalty yards to have everything at least 10 yards, but no automatic firsts.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Wonder if the competition committee made it a spot foul because if not teams would just commmit PI all the time because it is only 10 or 15 yards.

Eh, college teams don't do this. And if it was still an auto first I don't think teams would have much incentive to do it. Yah can argue, "But if the guy knows he's beat he can just pass interfere and stop him!" Same crap applies to holding. If the OT is beat he can hold and negate a sack and possible turnover/fumble.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, college teams don't do this. And if it was still an auto first I don't think teams would have much incentive to do it. Yah can argue, "But if the guy knows he's beat he can just pass interfere and stop him!" Same crap applies to holding. If the OT is beat he can hold and negate a sack and possible turnover/fumble.

No, I mean IF the committee changed it to a 10-15 yard penalty teams would do it (I know college doesn't really) but it would not shock me if they happened in the NFL

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Changes I want to see:

1) Bring back 5 yard face masks. Incidental is incidental.
2) No more spot of the foul defensive PI. Make it college rules.
3) Offsides should be a stop in play, similar to neutral zone infraction.

That's about it. PI really pisses me off... these giant 30-40 yard penalties are just complete BS. Put the ball on the 1 yard line with 3-4 downs, give me a break. Offsides with free plays is also 100% absolute bullshit. How come the defense doesn't get a 'free play' with false starts?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I mean IF the committee changed it to a 10-15 yard penalty teams would do it (I know college doesn't really) but it would not shock me if they happened in the NFL

Wait I'm not following. Why would teams do this all the time? The team (just like any other penalty) would still get to replay the down. So you get 10-15 yards (even if no first) how many times are teams put in a situation where it's 3rd and 15? Not very often, so a D PI still results in a first down majority of the time.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait I'm not following. Why would teams do this all the time? The team (just like any other penalty) would still get to replay the down. So you get 10-15 yards (even if no first) how many times are teams put in a situation where it's 3rd and 15? Not very often, so a D PI still results in a first down majority of the time.

Good point... I guess maybe I am just thinking teams would rather commit the PI (regardless of the down and distance) if it were only a 15 yard penalty instead of a TD or a huge gain.. But yeah it would be pretty stupid with the automatic first down

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst call in the NFL.

3rd and 23, and a guy off the play tugs on a jersey, not effecting the play at all, yet, Automatic 1st down. How about 5 yards (or even 10) and replay 3rd down.

Calls that piss me off,
1) Defensive Holding (as mentioned above), automatic 1st Down.
2) Some redonkulous celebration penalty, reallllly, we as fans love this shit. Taunting is different.
3) The WHOLE offsides, encroachment, illegal procedure etc.
A) if you move first on the OL, it is a penalty.
B) if you cross the LOS from the D without any O movement, it is a penalty, regardless of the O.
C) same as B, if you on D cross the LOS, that's it. Play over. 5 yard penalty. No getting back for free.
D) No fucking free plays. If a penalty has occurred at the LOS, stop the play NOW.
4) A guy in the neutral zone is called "every now and then" kind of like NBA FT violations.....joke.
5) The under thrown 40+ yard pass that is "Uncatchable" yet the O player comes back and hits the defender, and it is a 40+ yard penalty.
6) 12 men on the field, is that an automatic 1st down???? Not sure, but as mentioned before, no automatic 1st downs. I hate that. Is there a difference between actually playing with 12 guys, versus the 12th guy is trying to get off the field, but is .5 second short, even though he didn't participate.
7) The 'football move' rule. c'mon.....make a clear rule on this. And make each rule clear, such as...
A) In the field of play.
B) On the sideline.
C) In the endzone, the CJ play, cmon man, that was a TD.
D) the Dez play, was that one of the above???? (A) not (C)
There CAN be separate rules for each, (Maybe the same) just decide NFL.
8) I LOVE the NFL, I would be great in the Front Office, I'll even take only 700,000 a year. lol.

Please provide your thoughts on ANY of the 8. Specify the # of the 8. I like #8, vote me in please. lol.

1. No problem with D hold being 5 yards and a first down. No big problem with it being just 5 yards either, but considering it often occurs > 5 yards downfield the auto 1st down doesn't bother me.

2. Taunting is different as you mention. Otherwise let them do whatever they want within the bounds of decency and time. There should be a time limit on celebrations, though.

3. No real problem with the way it is now, but they should probably either blow the whistle and stop the play in all cases or let it play out in all cases. Suppose the D recovers a TO and wants to refuse a motion penalty. If the offense gets to refuse offsides the D should have the same opportunity when the O jumps.

4. Haven't noticed inconsistent neutral zone calls.... not saying there aren't any, just haven't noticed. No comment.

5. Hate the 40 yard penalty unless it's clearly intentional and blatant. I know that would bring more subjectivity to the call, but PI should be a 10 yarder unless it's blatant. The rise of the "back shoulder pass" technique has made this call even more unfair to the D. If you're 30 yards into your route and the ball is thrown such that you have to make a 180' change in direction to get to it... well if the D-back is in your way then too bad.

6. You only get to play with 11. No excuses. Sorry, disagree here.

7. The definition of a completed catch needs to be more definitively nailed down to put it mildly. Calvin's was a catch. Dez's was a catch. I've seen "catches" of the very same nature called and upheld as catches. This one is a mess that needs to be corrected.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, get rid of the "half the distance to the goal line" walk off. Walk off the entire yardage and if it takes the ball into the end zone, put it at the one yard line. Why should a team that commits a penalty in the red zone get get a better deal than one they commit at mid field ?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point... I guess maybe I am just thinking teams would rather commit the PI (regardless of the down and distance) if it were only a 15 yard penalty instead of a TD or a huge gain.. But yeah it would be pretty stupid with the automatic first down

I mean same as college. Auto first, get 15 yards if beyond 15 yards spot of foul. Likewise, how about we make offensive pass interference 15 yards?

Yah, basically I'm calling out 100% bullshit on penalties HIGHLY favoring the offense. This is why this crap will never change. Because dumbass fantasy dorks and women are always like, "OMG HE SCORED OMGOMGOMFGFFFFFF HEHEHEHHEEHE HE SCORED OMG LET ME CHECK MY PHONE!" Exactly why I can't watch football with anybody but like 0.01% of the population.

Used to hate watching football with my Dad because he'd get so pissed and start trashing my team. You know what? Love the guy now. He stays on point. I don't have to worry about him checking his stupid fantasy team or commenting about a commercial. He's like, "AH GOD, ANOTHER ****ING COMMERCIAL!" Love it. Thank you for having one ounce of man left in you. All my guy friends, "omg.... did you hear about the political debate and this chick I could've banged at a bar! oh my gooood!" and bring their stupid girlfriends into the room. Go fuck yourself, I just want to watch and stay on point for a freaking football game.

/endrant

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean same as college. Auto first, get 15 yards if beyond 15 yards spot of foul. Likewise, how about we make offensive pass interference 15 yards?

Yah, basically I'm calling out 100% bullshit on penalties HIGHLY favoring the offense. This is why this crap will never change. Because dumbass fantasy dorks and women are always like, "OMG HE SCORED OMGOMGOMFGFFFFFF HEHEHEHHEEHE HE SCORED OMG LET ME CHECK MY PHONE!" Exactly why I can't watch football with anybody but like 0.000001% of the population.

The league cares about points and high scoring games, they don't give a rats you know what about a defensive game and it's clearly showing with these rules