• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aussie Open Thread

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it will all be revealed in the clay swing. It's like the heat of the 100m dash. Nadal's esteem has to take a big blow from the last loss. But he will find his footing on clay where he is strongest.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cezero, how many slams do you see Nole winning? Right now he is head and shoulders above. I hope he can win the FO this year and over Nadal. Over anyone else and the nadalnuts would immediately find a marker to put an asterisk. What do you think are Fed's chances?

I think Nole will end up with at least 12 overall. And yeah, I would be so happy to see him get the career slam this year at the French.

If Murray can get a decent 2nd serve back, I think he could get up to 5 or 6.

I can't imagine Nadal winning another major other than RG again, but you just never know with him. He might come into the US Open with a magically unbreakable serve again or something.

I don't like Fed's chances on hard court majors at all unless he manages to get a draw where he only has to face 1 of Nadal, Murray, or Djokovic.

I like his chances of being able to beat 2 or 3 of those guys on grass or clay a lot more, actually, but it's still a longshot. I would really love to see him win another major, and then retire, kind of like Pete did. As long as he's enjoying the grind, then I'll watch every match he plays that I possibly can.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hunger is maybe 10% of the equation.

andy has that covered. congrats to him for getting back into the top 4 after he seemed completely out it/indifferent 8 months ago. his hunger for more majors isn't a problem at all.

federer's declining skills are his problem, no matter how hungry he is

murray's big problem is that 2nd serve, which is oftentimes under 80 mph. just unacceptable, and impossible to win majors with that.

I noticed that too (as well as the FH). It looked slow even in real time on TV. I did not remember it being that weak in the past. The FH is easily correctable. He just needs to stay down through the shot. The 2nd serve he may need to go back to the drawing board though.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think all the legacy and accomplishments bear down heavily on Fed. That has an effect on his concentration against guys like Seppi who never beat him before getting their first win over him in majors. If he could get some hypnotism done and get his mind clear of all the titles he has won and come in as a journeyman I think he can win another slam because game wise and fitness wise he is there.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed that too (as well as the FH). It looked slow even in real time on TV. I did not remember it being that weak in the past. The FH is easily correctable. He just needs to stay down through the shot. The 2nd serve he may need to go back to the drawing board though.

He should get Sam Stosur as a secondary coach.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
* 6 years ago, Murray bought a red Ferrari. He sold it right away, because "when I got out of it, I felt like an idiot".

Brad Gilbert says that after the USO in 2006, he had Murray train with Olympian and neighbor Michael Johnson. Johnson said he wanted to test Murray, and make him "lose his cookies", and Johnson didn't think Murray would be able to do 8 x 200m in under 31 sec.

Murray did it, in under 29, and then couldn't walk for 2.5 days. Johnson was impressed, especially that Murray could do it without any training or knowledge of what he was doing. Said that was fortitude and heart.

Murray did it because he was put up against a number, wanted he just wanted to beat that mark.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Australian Open - Novak Djokovic's place in the history books - ESPN

That's all well and good. But distractions, cramps and that famous Djokovic fifth gear aside, it was also true that Djokovic won 62 percent (34 of 55) of the second serves he initiated, while Murray converted an anemic 34 percent (14 of 41) of his second-serve opportunities. Djokovic's average second serve speed was 98 mph, a full 15 mph faster than Murray's.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for both the ATP and WTA, the next big Masters1000/Premier Mandatory tournaments are Indian Wells and Miami back to back in March, yeah.

Agree.

Indian Wells; Miami from Mid March to the first week of April.

Then Monte Carlo; Madrid; Rome. Then FO.

Those are what I follow.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dubai is big too I think most of the top players playing it because of the money and the glam. Dunno if its a 500 series or a 250. Starts 23rd. Gives fed almost 30 day rest to rejuvenate and come back strong.

I know FED plays Dubai. I don't know how many others play it. I'll check the scores, but not watch it.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree.

I don't remember it being that much worse before.

It was a stark contrast, to Djokovic's 2nd serve, which was a lot more reliable, and dangerous.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should get Sam Stosur as a secondary coach.

She's still playing!

If Murray could have Stosur's kick serve, and his serve down the T, that would give him more variety then some of his top peers.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pretty good turnout for this thread.

I'll create a thread like this for all the major tournaments this year not just GS events

:suds:

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason why Murray could not get a high percent conversions rate on his second serve is pure pressure from Djok's return. I have played tennis and I know how that feels when know the opponent is ready to kill your weak second. It becomes very hard to serve and even cramps your first serve percentage. Does Murray know how to hit a good second serve? Sure, he's a pro, but even pros have same issues with pressure that a club player has. Hence the lopsided scores between a high ranked and a lower ranked.

backupboo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HS0022, See this is just uncalled for. They don't look like boys and doesn't explain anything. This is why I go in on Pova, because you people are just down right disrespectful when it comes to Venus and Serena. This hateful post have no merit except that you don't hate these women, but yet they keep winning. You can never take their success away without ugly posts.

Why post it if you knew it would get push back. What's the point it's your opinion, an opinion that doesn't matter.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HS0022, See this is just uncalled for. They don't look like boys and doesn't explain anything. This is why I go in on Pova, because you people are just down right disrespectful when it comes to Venus and Serena. This hateful post have no merit except that you don't hate these women, but yet they keep winning. You can never take their success away without ugly posts.

Why post it if you knew it would get push back. What's the point it's your opinion, an opinion that doesn't matter.

So you "go on pova" as a revenge for something bad someone says for Serena and Venus? Sounds like you are a fanboy or fan girl and not a true tennis lover. What I stated doesn't prove anything conclusively, but merely raises a topic for discussion. You cannot discuss objectively if you are blinded by fandom or being of the race.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Backup boo, think neutrally for a second. If you are black you would be proud of these two athletes and the thought wouldn't even cross your mind that they could be transgender or the opposite gender.

It would make perfect sense why they aren't inclined verbally to give any credit to their feeble female opponents. Because they not only feel superior and entitled to win if they play their best but because they have the mental advantage that they are definitely mentally and physically stronger than their peers in the WTA, and this lack of doubt can only come from the conscious knowledge that they are men and men automatically have a physical advantage over women in any sport including chess. They would feel that they have a right to win against any females.

The same goes for an athlete who takes drugs. They will always go in more confident to win a race because they know they should win due to the unfair advantage the drug provides them with. They would then have the mental strength of Superman literally and no mere mortal. This is also why I suspect Nadal's achievements.

backupboo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My race or gender has nothing to do with my opinion. My problem with you and other posters the relentless questions around Venus and Serena success. The answer, they have worked hard and they are good. They have a record to back it up. Why must we discuss how they look, if they are male or female, etc. These things shouldn't matter.

In regards to Pova, most people who post these remarks are Pova fans and William haters. So, I go in on her. But, for the record I have a lot of respect for her. She works hard and she never give up. I don't take anything from her, but when you compare Sharapova doesn't belong in same discussion as Serena.

Let's be fair and respectful

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My race or gender has nothing to do with my opinion. My problem with you and other posters the relentless questions around Venus and Serena success. The answer, they have worked hard and they are good. They have a record to back it up. Why must we discuss how they look, if they are male or female, etc. These things shouldn't matter.

In regards to Pova, most people who post these remarks are Pova fans and William haters. So, I go in on her. But, for the record I have a lot of respect for her. She works hard and she never give up. I don't take anything from her, but when you compare Sharapova doesn't belong in same discussion as Serena.

Let's be fair and respectful

That's a mature post and you didn't go off the rail to respond. Some things we will never know. There are millions of dollars at stake and when stakes are high the price for secrecy is also high. They will keep the secret at any cost. Also Nadal will be kept below the radar always because of the sponsors but the tennis audience can see the anomalies which lead to the doubts. The ATP is corrupt but smart. They will catch the small fish the low ranked doper to illustrate that the anti drug system is in place but the big buck athletes will always get a pass.

I am just saying one should not be naive and be oblivious to the corrupt state the sport has reached where money and the business it generates is everything. This was not the case in the Rod Laver era where the sport was much cleaner.

backupboo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hs0022

I agree with your post. I am not naive or oblivious, I am very much aware it's just disappointing. But, it's reality.

By the way I do tend to go off when people insert racism and mean posts. I'll tap down on it , LOL