• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aussie Open Thread

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Janowicz & Lopez in a 3rd set tiebreak

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not a fan of lopez, but he's paid his dues, and gotten his ranking up pretty high with hard work.

best of luck to him this weekend.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to take a nap until the other men's match start

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
happy as fuck for brengle

cancer scare, and just made the rd of 16 for the first time ever at a major

wow

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nishikori's return is befuddling Johnson at the moment.

If Nishikori had a true weapon off the ground, he'd be a lock to win a major. Hewitt did it with no weapons twice. Chang did it once. It's a very different game now, though, so I just don't know. Lots more semis and a handful of finals? Sure.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnson does have weapons, but movement is a little suspect.

He's holding his own, though. Got the break back.

Classic battle of a great mover vs a big server. My money's on the mover if they both play near their best.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. 2 USA Madison's into round 4. Didn't watch either but that is good news.

Isner and Johnson gone though.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far I like what I am seeing from Raonic. Stan the man benefitting from easy draw so far. Now is when it gets real interesting.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nishikori's return is befuddling Johnson at the moment.

If Nishikori had a true weapon off the ground, he'd be a lock to win a major. Hewitt did it with no weapons twice. Chang did it once. It's a very different game now, though, so I just don't know. Lots more semis and a handful of finals? Sure.

There was a time in tennis ( a small window rather) when a lull settled in briefly as the stranglehold changed hands (from the Sampras-agassi to Fedal) when guys could win a slam with no real weapons as Hewitt did and Roddick's serve was there but brought down by the holes in the rest of his game. Safin had game but was a headcase and Haas had too many injuries to count. Actually Haas was more talented but unlucky not to have won a slam. When the dust settles we got Federer followed by Nadal and now the Djoko. There is a lull settling in at the moment again an no real contender for the stranglehold title. So guys like Colic, Wawa who never had the talent to even sniff at a slam title are suddenly winning. Nishikori is like Hewitt. Nothing stands out other than movement. With NAdal even though he had no tangible weapons he had two fearsome factors, his ability to get back the winner and mental strength. He managed to win 14 and overachieved almost four times his true potential.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was too tired last night to stay up. Only got 3 hours of sleep yesterday. Isner went out in straight sets lol fucking awful

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God the men's side of the draw is loaded and would have been even more loaded if Isner did not lose last night.

I'm hoping we get a Djoker/Raonic, Wawrinka/Kei, Tomic/Nadal, & Dimitrov/Kyrgios Quarters.

On the women's side I'm hoping for a Serena/Azarenka, Keys/Venus, Makarova/Halep, & Bouchard/Sharapova Quarters.

BTW if Venus beats Radwanska we would be guaranteed that an American not named Serena would be in the semi finals.

Sucks that all the Americans left are on the same side of the draw which eliminates the chances of an all american finals

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God the men's side of the draw is loaded and would have been even more loaded if Isner did not lose last night.

I'm hoping we get a Djoker/Raonic, Wawrinka/Kei, Tomic/Nadal, & Dimitrov/Kyrgios Quarters.

On the women's side I'm hoping for a Serena/Azarenka, Keys/Venus, Makarova/Halep, & Bouchard/Sharapova Quarters.

BTW if Venus beats Radwanska we would be guaranteed that an American not named Serena would be in the semi finals.

Sucks that all the Americans left are on the same side of the draw which eliminates the chances of an all american finals

That is what I am predicting, except I have Aggy beating Venus. All these players they are playing are good enough to beat them though with a couple of exceptions. I don't see Djoker losing though. Would love to see What Raonic can do against him. Milos does not do as well against the guys who can get everything back. It will tell us where he is in his development.

Last edited by a moderator:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just finished the Keys match on my DVR.

Kvitova was flat, but boy was Keys on fire. Big weapons. Good for her.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as Isner goes, it's never surprising to see him go out early.

The furthest he's ever made it at a slam is the QF, and that was once.

He's only made it past the 3rd round a total of 4 times in his 7+ year career.

I'm not dogging him, just stating facts. I think he's gotten as much out of his game as he possibly can. Tennis is a game of movement more than anything else now, and he's one of the worst movers on tour.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is what I am predicting, except I have Aggy beating Venus. All these players they are playing are good enough to beat them though with a couple of exceptions. I don't see Djoker losing though. Would love to see What Raonic can do against him. Milos does not do as well against the guys who can get everything back. It will tell us where he is in his development.

yeah, i don't see raonic doing much at all to bother nole unless he literally has the best serving day of his career and nole has an off day.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a time in tennis ( a small window rather) when a lull settled in briefly as the stranglehold changed hands (from the Sampras-agassi to Fedal) when guys could win a slam with no real weapons as Hewitt did and Roddick's serve was there but brought down by the holes in the rest of his game. Safin had game but was a headcase and Haas had too many injuries to count. Actually Haas was more talented but unlucky not to have won a slam. When the dust settles we got Federer followed by Nadal and now the Djoko. There is a lull settling in at the moment again an no real contender for the stranglehold title. So guys like Colic, Wawa who never had the talent to even sniff at a slam title are suddenly winning. Nishikori is like Hewitt. Nothing stands out other than movement. With NAdal even though he had no tangible weapons he had two fearsome factors, his ability to get back the winner and mental strength. He managed to win 14 and overachieved almost four times his true potential.

yeah, i agree.

hewitt and roddick (when he briefly held it) were placeholder #1's between the Sampras/Agassi era and the Federer era.

safin could have been a force all on his own if he weren't so batshit crazy, but it wasn't meant to be.

i agree about the future. no sign of a dominant guy to take over the helm of nole/murray/rafa, all of whom see 30 in the not so distant future.

I think Borna Coric and Stefan Kozlov (if he gets a little taller) might get in there in the next few years, though.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I have to go with Murray getting the W today against Dimitrov, though like bks, I hope it's Dimitrov who pulls through.