• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Athlon's Preseason Top 25

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My criteria is from SECCG appearances

Florida appeared 12 times, won 7 times, and of those 7 wins, 3 resulted in a national championship.

Alabama appeared 12 times, won 8 times, and of those 8 wins, 4 resulted in a national championship.

You dont even want to know how the dwags stack up. Georgia sits at the SEC children's table in hand slap fights with Arkansas.
In a discussion about this year's Top 25, you state that UF is pulling even with UA this year, and your criteria are results from the 90s. Brilliant. As I and others have pointed out, UF has a long way to go to get close to UGA and UA.

Now, if you have started a tangential thread, comparing SECCs and NCs over the last 3 decades, sure, the numbers are similar. But they don't support your theory that you are pulling even. UF has been irrelevant in college football for the last decade plus. And your new coach has never won anything, anywhere. So good luck with that.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I don't understand why people are shocked, they took a lot of hits with injuries last season. I understand they are without Tua and their #1 WR but.. Bryce Young is legit and he has Waddle?
Agreed. I've seen a ton of UGA fans talk about how Bama's run is coming to an end. I shake my head. Saban is still coaching, they are still bringing in #1 and #2 classes every year. The run will end some day. It's not happening, yet. Unfortunately.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Ohio State
4. Oklahoma
5. Penn State
6. Florida
7. Georgia
8. LSU
9. Notre Dame
10. Oregon

I agree with Top 4. Alabama or Clemson at #1 right now. I think Penn State might be a little high. I don't think they should be above the 2nd or 3rd SEC team. I am fine with Oregon at #10. I don't see anyone below them I can put above them.

11. Texas A&M
12. Wisconsin
13. Auburn
14. Oklahoma State
15. Michigan
16. Texas
17. Iowa State
18. North Carolina
19. USC
20. Minnesota

I look at this list and think of blue bloods that are down or rising teams that were not very good not too long ago. I wonder when the last time a preseason poll didn't have a mid-major in the Top 20?

21. Cincinnati
22. UCF
23. Boise State
24. Virginia Tech
25. Iowa

Top mid majors and 2 teams you don't want to rank too high or not rank at all.

I don't agree with the top 4. I'd have the same top 10 but in a different order.

I think Clemson has the chance to be great at the end of the season with all the talent (14 5 Stars on the roster) but I think it will be a slow start. On defense, Clemson lost a lot of the secondary. The defensive line was a big weakness last year and Clemson's 3 new 5 Stars (and 3 4 Stars) there didn't have a spring to practice. Xavier Thomas will be healthy again though, so that's huge. On offense, Clemson's got an extremely talented but very inexperienced offensive line. The receivers are always among the best in the nation, but Higgins was a loss and Ross is going though surgery so might not start at the first of the season depending on recovery. On the plus side, the tight end position should be improved. Clemson might very well have the best running back corps in the country, with Etienne, Lyn-J Dixon, Rencher, and now Demarkcus Bowman and Kobe Pryor. And hopefully Lawrence will play loose like he did as a freshman. If he plays without getting too much in his own head, I don't think many would say there's a better QB in college football. And while I love Chase Bryce, I think DJ will be a much better backup. But right now, I'd say Clemson has the best chance to win the title, but will not be the best team in the country starting out. If I were ranking the top 10, I'd go:

1. Ohio State
2. Clemson
3. Alabama (I'm always going to believe in Bilbo, though I don't think Jones is great and Young, even if he lives up to the hype, is too young (lol) with too little time to practice).
4. Georgia - they don't have a QB, but Fromm wasn't much of one to begin with. Still will have a phenomenal defense, good line, and great running backs
5. Oklahoma - You have to believe in Riley's offenses. They'll probably make the playoffs and get blown out again
6. Florida - Maybe the best QB in the SEC right now.
7. Notre Dame - they were really good last year. Would have probably beaten Michigan if it weren't a hurricane and played UGA tough. Basically returned everyone.
8. Penn State
9. LSU
10. Oregon

Last edited:

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a discussion about this year's Top 25, you state that UF is pulling even with UA this year, and your criteria are results from the 90s. Brilliant. As I and others have pointed out, UF has a long way to go to get close to UGA and UA.

Now, if you have started a tangential thread, comparing SECCs and NCs over the last 3 decades, sure, the numbers are similar. But they don't support your theory that you are pulling even. UF has been irrelevant in college football for the last decade plus. And your new coach has never won anything, anywhere. So good luck with that.
If you were correct, then why would I have spoken about McElwain’s success in the post that got your jimmys rustled? You attempted to erect a straw man, and failed.

Perhaps you should stop interrupting the conversation between the big boys of the SEC. Until Georgia accomplishes something, their place remains at the kiddy table.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, they've never been the highest ranked B1G team in the preseason.
You said they've never been predicted to win the BIG. He disproved that. Don't try to move the goalposts.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said they've never been predicted to win the BIG. He disproved that. Don't try to move the goalposts.

Not moving anything. When has the AP poll predicted it? That's what I've been referencing this entire time

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we in the AP poll thread?

We are in a top 25 thread. People are bitching about A&M and Michigan always being overrated, which isn't true. I referenced the AP poll from the beginning because it's the easiest to find for past years. Like, I said, they've never been the highest ranked preseason B1G team.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
stop trying to justify and change the narrative

I'm not changing any narrative, ffs. My narrative this entire time has been about the narrative(false one at that) that A&M and Michigan are always over rated.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are in a top 25 thread. People are bitching about A&M and Michigan always being overrated, which isn't true. I referenced the AP poll from the beginning because it's the easiest to find for past years. Like, I said, they've never been the highest ranked preseason B1G team.

but also that they had never been picked to win which they had

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is made up from the same people that vote in the AP poll...
so the people that make up a fraction of the AP poll who know the conference best picked Michigan to win but AP in Hawaii, Florida, Washington, and Arizona who dont didnt pick michigan so therefore its irrelevant?