• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Athlon's Preseason Top 25

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They replace Clemson with Colorado, that's another win. They replace UGA with Vandy, that's another win. That alone should get them to 9 regular season win. 4 OOC, then Ole Miss, Miss, St, Arkansas, Vandy and South Carolina in the SEC. Going 1-2 against LSU/Bama/Auburn seems like a good bet given, specifically what Auburn and LSU lost from last year.
And that's the point, no one really thinks they are going to be better than last season other than the schedule is favorable with bad schools and new coaching hires. Yet nobody thinks they beat Bama. Nobody really thinks Mond is that good other than he is a senior returning to a division that has new QBs at Ark, LSU, Bama, MSU and Ole Miss (I think).

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan is a different team at home then on the road(assuming things are normal this season). Harbaugh beats ranked teams at home, I don't see why this would be any different than all the other years, minus 2017. He's beaten ranked Wisconsin and PSU teams at home before. Honestly, I think it's more likely they lose to Washington than it is they lose to PSU and Wisconsin. They are a different team at home.

A&M was a good team last season, they just played a ridiculous schedule. 4 of their 5 losses were to teams that finished in the top 8, and only one of them was at home. Their schedule is more manageable this year, but it's been one of the most difficult the last two seasons, so I'd say they finally caught a break.
Please tell me what win they had last season that was good? Lamar? Texas State? The squeaker vs Ark? Good teams don't get blown out the way they did vs Bama or LSU.. Good teams don't throw in the towel in the 2nd half vs Clemson to atleast make it look close by running out the clock..in the 3rd quarter.
We all seen how Mond was better when running outside the pocket or letting him run for it, yet Jimbo kept using him as a pocket passer. I have no idea why they get the benefit of a doubt each season. Guess the 7OT LSU game was enough to see?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's the point, no one really thinks they are going to be better than last season other than the schedule is favorable with bad schools and new coaching hires. Yet nobody thinks they beat Bama. Nobody really thinks Mond is that good other than he is a senior returning to a division that has new QBs at Ark, LSU, Bama, MSU and Ole Miss (I think).

I do think they will be better next season. They'll just have the results to back up that claim.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please tell me what win they had last season that was good? Lamar? Texas State? The squeaker vs Ark? Good teams don't get blown out the way they did vs Bama or LSU.. Good teams don't throw in the towel in the 2nd half vs Clemson to atleast make it look close by running out the clock..in the 3rd quarter.
We all seen how Mond was better when running outside the pocket or letting him run for it, yet Jimbo kept using him as a pocket passer. I have no idea why they get the benefit of a doubt each season. Guess the 7OT LSU game was enough to see?

There were a lot of good teams that got blown out last year. OU, UGA, Wisconsin, Minnesota, ND, Utah, Michigan to name a few.

They beat Oklahoma State. Which would be a good win. The problem for them is they didn't play many teams in the 15-35 range. They played 4 elite teams and then another top 15 team. Although to be fair Oklahoma State would have finished ranked if they would've beaten A&M.

And I don't know what makes you think they are getting the benefit of the doubt? They've been ranked once in the preseason in the last 5 years, and they've finished ranked once. It's not like they are overrated to start the season or something.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were a lot of good teams that got blown out last year. OU, UGA, Wisconsin, Minnesota, ND, Utah, Michigan to name a few.

They beat Oklahoma State. Which would be a good win. The problem for them is they didn't play many teams in the 15-35 range. They played 4 elite teams and then another top 15 team. Although to be fair Oklahoma State would have finished ranked if they would've beaten A&M.

And I don't know what makes you think they are getting the benefit of the doubt? They've been ranked once in the preseason in the last 5 years, and they've finished ranked once. It's not like they are overrated to start the season or something.
oklahoma st was missing it's starting QB and WR. And they had no answers for Hubbard on the ground. Gundy goofed that game by not feeding chuba.
Again, what good team gets blown out by LSU, Bama and Clemson? Three attempts to make a competitive game against really good teams, and went 0-3.
They will disappoint again and be ranked top 15 next season as well..because Jimbo is thissss close to bursting through, again.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every single year with A&M. I swear its like a Manziel hangover that some pollsters seem to never let go.
It's the Jimbo effect .. when you get a 10 year 75 million dollar deal, you're always expected to be competing for championships which is basically what they are doing finishing 3rd/4th in the SEC west.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oklahoma st was missing it's starting QB and WR. And they had no answers for Hubbard on the ground. Gundy goofed that game by not feeding chuba.
Again, what good team gets blown out by LSU, Bama and Clemson? Three attempts to make a competitive game against really good teams, and went 0-3.
They will disappoint again and be ranked top 15 next season as well..because Jimbo is thissss close to bursting through, again.

Wallace missed the last 5 games last year. And Brown played down the stretch and it's not like Sanders was lighting it up all season. And honestly the game wasn't even close as the score indicated with Oklahoma State scoring a late TD.

And yeah last year they were over ranked, but what about the year before when they weren't ranked Preseason and finished 16th. It all evens out as far as expectations.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every single year with A&M. I swear its like a Manziel hangover that some pollsters seem to never let go.

They've started ranked in the preseason once in the last 5 years. They've finished ranked once. Seems like they've been properly rated

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They think Alabama will go from 4th to 1st in the SEC? What did they do this off season to make such a move? They were barely in the top 10.
Alabama and Florida both finished 11-2. It was Bama’s worst season in 9 years. It tied for UF’s best of the decade. But hey, Gators did beat us 12 years ago!

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good Ole VPI, living on 9 wins (minimum) an a ranking on the virtue of another horrid schedule.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the Jimbo effect .. when you get a 10 year 75 million dollar deal, you're always expected to be competing for championships which is basically what they are doing finishing 3rd/4th in the SEC west.
About where they finished the last few years in the Big 12 South.
2011 Tied for 6th (No divisions)
2010 3 way tie for 1st
2009 5th
2008 6th
2007 5th

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They think Alabama will go from 4th to 1st in the SEC? What did they do this off season to make such a move? They were barely in the top 10.

LOL, well, we did have the #2 recruiting class including 4 5 stars, 3 of which were #1 at their position. We've also have 15 5-stars in the last 4 years including 9 that were #1 at their position. We also have one of the best linebackers in the country coming back for his senior year, after not playing a snap last year. Not to mention one of the youngest defenses we've ever played last year, coming back with loads of experience.

Then there is last year's #1 team in the SEC, who set a record for drafted players.

But, please, do tell us more about the mighty Gators and the 1 5 star on their roster. If I were you, I'd be more concerned about Tennessee and Georgia than I would be about your betters in the SEC West.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About where they finished the last few years in the Big 12 South.
2011 Tied for 6th (No divisions)
2010 3 way tie for 1st
2009 5th
2008 6th
2007 5th
lol.. they would have been first if the conference didn't hold them back!!

bamafan4evr12

Rising Tide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, well, we did have the #2 recruiting class including 4 5 stars, 3 of which were #1 at their position. We've also have 15 5-stars in the last 4 years including 9 that were #1 at their position. We also have one of the best linebackers in the country coming back for his senior year, after not playing a snap last year. Not to mention one of the youngest defenses we've ever played last year, coming back with loads of experience.

Then there is last year's #1 team in the SEC, who set a record for drafted players.

But, please, do tell us more about the mighty Gators and the 1 5 star on their roster. If I were you, I'd be more concerned about Tennessee and Georgia than I would be about your betters in the SEC West.
The Elephant in the room in all of this, Peter Golding :sigh:

bamafan4evr12

Rising Tide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least he has the blueprint for success.

Just watch the last 2 seasons and DO SOMETHING ELSE.
Bingo!

I just can't help but feel Saban called the defense in the second half against Michigan. It was completely and totally different from the rest of the season

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Athlon Magazine reveals official preseason top 25 rankings

1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Ohio State
4. Oklahoma
5. Penn State
6. Florida
7. Georgia
8. LSU
9. Notre Dame
10. Oregon
11. Texas A&M
12. Wisconsin
13. Auburn
14. Oklahoma State
15. Michigan
16. Texas
17. Iowa State
18. North Carolina
19. USC
20. Minnesota
21. Cincinnati
22. UCF
23. Boise State
24. Virginia Tech
25. Iowa

I really like the top 10, though not in that order.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wtf is the deal with Texas A&M and Michigan every year.