• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Athlon's Preseason Top 25

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not moving anything. When has the AP poll predicted it? That's what I've been referencing this entire time

The AP poll doesn't predict anything. It only tries to rank teams based on how good they are. A team can be better (and thus have a higher preseason ranking) but not win the conference because it plays a harder schedule. The only predictions are outside the AP poll, which you weren't talking about, and people showed you Michigan has been predicted to win the Big 10.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so the people that make up a fraction of the AP poll who know the conference best picked Michigan to win but AP in Hawaii, Florida, Washington, and Arizona who dont didnt pick michigan so therefore its irrelevant?

You simply have a larger sample size. I will always lean more towards something that has more input and data involved than something that doesn't. It's just like with any poll or ranking. But with that said there are flaws in any poll that is projecting something out, because we can't predict the future.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The AP poll doesn't predict anything. It only tries to rank teams based on how good they are. A team can be better (and thus have a higher preseason ranking) but not win the conference because it plays a harder schedule. The only predictions are outside the AP poll, which you weren't talking about, and people showed you Michigan has been predicted to win the Big 10.

Yeah it's ranking the best teams, and not once has Michigan been the highest ranked team in the preseason. If the AP would have predicted who was the pick to win the conference it would have been Ohio State because they were ranked higher in the preseason.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You simply have a larger sample size. I will always lean more towards something that has more input and data involved than something that doesn't. It's just like with any poll or ranking. But with that said there are flaws in any poll that is projecting something out, because we can't predict the future.
larger sample size isnt necessarily better. look at the coaches poll where some coaches have someone else do it for them. who have biased to their own conference or old jobs.
id rather hear the opinion of the Michigan beat writer for the conference rather than what the New Mexico state local reporter has to say on the Big Ten.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
larger sample size isnt necessarily better. look at the coaches poll where some coaches have someone else do it for them. who have biased to their own conference or old jobs.
id rather hear the opinion of the Michigan beat writer for the conference rather than what the New Mexico state local reporter has to say on the Big Ten.

Everyone, inherently, has biases. The more people involved the more those extreme biases are mitigated(or canceled out). I'm not even saying the writers in the Big Ten poll were biased, just that those same writers make up the larger AP Poll(of note not all 34 writers polled)

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The receivers have been simply ridiculous for a while now. Is Jones going to beat out Young for the starting job? He’s good but I would doubt that. I guess we’ll see what the kid has to offer. I watched some of his tape and he looks like a complete stud.
Vs a true freshmen? Easily, unless Bama has no faith in Jones which I doubt

It even took Trevor Lawerence time to beat out K. Bryant and even when he took over there was a lot of growing pain getting use to playing CFB. Plus the fact there's no Spring ball, good luck starting a freshman at QB

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder how LSu does without Brady.. Tiger fans act like he was just the passing game coordinator but we seen what the OC did the season before too. To me the SEC is pretty open. I favor Bama and GA to meet up again for the CCG.
And people act like LSU is going back to a Power-O Run heavy scheme. Why bring in a guy like Brady to transform your offense (knowing it's probably a short time stay), and not have anyone learn underneath and not build off what he's brought to LSU. They're probably not repeating a Historic all-time offense anytime soon and it will take some time to replace all those pieces but LSU offense will be fine in the long run

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LSU was decimated
Georgia should be pretty good and a clear favorite to win the East. The second place East team barely beat two mediocre ACC teams and Kentucky.

Alabama is third.

Nobody else in the SEC is worth talking about because the talent gap is too big.
Does Kiffie boy, the Pirate and Jimbo know this?

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you have doubts a team that held 8 teams under 20 can hold teams under 20?
you think a team that only managed 24 is gonna put up 36 and you dont think a team that put up 56 can out score them?
There's that. And the fact a defense doesn't have to be stellar if their offense keeps the ball for long sustained drives...and can stay in front. Some teams claim their defense is great but in reality they play defense with their offense. We called that "Keep Away" when I was a kid!

It is the equivalent of the pre shot clock days in hoops when teams ran a stall. Those teams points allowed average made it look like they played out of this world defense. But, that is the main reason for a shot clock now.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vs a true freshmen? Easily, unless Bama has no faith in Jones which I doubt

It even took Trevor Lawerence time to beat out K. Bryant and even when he took over there was a lot of growing pain getting use to playing CFB. Plus the fact there's no Spring ball, good luck starting a freshman at QB
No way Young is the starter. He will be given second half reps just as a Tua was in 17.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you were correct, then why would I have spoken about McElwain’s success in the post that got your jimmys rustled? You attempted to erect a straw man, and failed.

Perhaps you should stop interrupting the conversation between the big boys of the SEC. Until Georgia accomplishes something, their place remains at the kiddy table.
LOL ... you beat us then you can trash talk me. I acknowledge you owned the 90s and 00s. But I was in college and law school when we owned you, too. But, no one is going back 20, 30, 40 years. Right now we have your number and it's fun. Win the SECE, then let's hear from you. "Big boy" in the SEC ... LOL.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's that. And the fact a defense doesn't have to be stellar if their offense keeps the ball for long sustained drives...and can stay in front. Some teams claim their defense is great but in reality they play defense with their offense. We called that "Keep Away" when I was a kid!

It is the equivalent of the pre shot clock days in hoops when teams ran a stall. Those teams points allowed average made it look like they played out of this world defense. But, that is the main reason for a shot clock now.
I mean oregon was ranked 22 in total D, gave up a total of 5 rushing TDs top 5 in turnover margin 2nd in passes intercepted
but whatever

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean oregon was ranked 22 in total D, gave up a total of 5 rushing TDs top 5 in turnover margin 2nd in passes intercepted
but whatever
I was just saying the type of offense a team runs can have an impact on their defensive statistics. You don't think so?

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just saying the type of offense a team runs can have an impact on their defensive statistics. You don't think so?
probably but thats not really how Oregon does offense either

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no one is going back 20, 30, 40 years.
You mean except Georgia. 40 years ago is Georgia's sweet spot. Since that time, they have been as relevant in the national picture as Oregon.

Don't get me wrong. That's pretty good too. Just doesn't get you a seat at the big boy table. :D

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean except Georgia. 40 years ago is Georgia's sweet spot. Since that time, they have been as relevant in the national picture as Oregon.

Don't get me wrong. That's pretty good too. Just doesn't get you a seat at the big boy table. :D
I'm thinking
  • Beat you 6 of the last 9
  • 3 straight SECE titles
  • 1 SEC title
  • 1 CFP semi-final Rose Bowl win
  • 1 OT NCG loss
  • 3 straight wins - 42-7, 36-17, 24-17
You can live in the 90s. I'm living today where we are relevant, and Gators have nothing to talk about. You can sit at the "we used to be a Big Boy" table. :nod:

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One reason why I like looking at SP+ and FEI instead

@Olyduck
BCF Toys - 2019 DFEI Ratings
DFEI mainly rating defenses on avg. success per possession, meaning defenses that have more possessions are not as penalize as there are in Total Defense rankings

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad. I was under the impression Mario was trying to shift more to a power running game.
perhaps but Oregon TOP last season ranked 103 out of 130
Run offense was 51 suggesting neither going too fast or too slow