• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Athlon Sports Preseason Top 25

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm praying Heaner gets named starting QB. If that happens I'm going to troll every Huskies Facebook group ever created. It will be like Hillary losing to Trump all over again. :cool:

I think Eason will be the starter, but I wouldn't rule it out Haener coming out the starter or eventually replacing Eason.

I know that Eason is the presumed favorite because of his incredible arm, but he really doesn't fit the mold of the players Petersen has started at QB or recruited. Petersen likes smart, accurate QBs who might have average to below average arm strength. Eason is a strong armed QB with questionable accuracy and a lack of consistency.

My biggest concern is that the offense isn't designed for a player like Eason and I question Bush Hamden's ability to adjust. Eason has an arm that would make many NFL QBs envious, but I question his accuracy. I've never been a fan of big armed QBs who have issues hitting their target. I'm sure that Eason will make a lot of incredible throws, but I think he will also overthrow a lot of open targets.

I anticipate that Eason will make the throws that Browning couldn't, but miss the throws that would be routine for Browning. As frustrated as we were with Browning, I have a bad feeling we might be missing him in 2019.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Eason will be the starter, but I wouldn't rule it out Haener coming out the starter or eventually replacing Eason.

I know that Eason is the presumed favorite because of his incredible arm, but he really doesn't fit the mold of the players Petersen has started at QB or recruited. Petersen likes smart, accurate QBs who might have average to below average arm strength. Eason is a strong armed QB with questionable accuracy and a lack of consistency.

My biggest concern is that the offense isn't designed for a player like Eason and I question Bush Hamden's ability to adjust. Eason has an arm that would make many NFL QBs envious, but I question his accuracy. I've never been a fan of big armed QBs who have issues hitting their target. I'm sure that Eason will make a lot of incredible throws, but I think he will also overthrow a lot of open targets.

I anticipate that Eason will make the throws that Browning couldn't, but miss the throws that would be routine for Browning. As frustrated as we were with Browning, I have a bad feeling we might be missing him in 2019.
I saw film on Eason when he was at UGA and he sucked balls. Horrible footwork to say the least. He looked like Max Browne 2.0 Big arm and nothing else to go with it.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw film on Eason when he was at UGA and he sucked balls. Horrible footwork to say the least. He looked like Max Browne 2.0 Big arm and nothing else to go with it.

That's fair. I'm inclined to agree with you because I've never been a big fan of QBs who will use their arm strength to make an incredible completion down the field one play, then overshoot a receiver in the flats the next play.

Hopefully we're both wrong and he puts it all together. After spending a year starting at Georgia, a year as a backup and a year on UW's practice squad, if he doesn't put it together yet there are serious concerns.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fair. I'm inclined to agree with you because I've never been a big fan of QBs who will use their arm strength to make an incredible completion down the field one play, then overshoot a receiver in the flats the next play.

Hopefully we're both wrong and he puts it all together. After spending a year starting at Georgia, a year as a backup and a year on UW's practice squad, if he doesn't put it together yet there are serious concerns.
I want a QB who will extend plays by going outside the pocket while making plays and eating up the clock. Doesn't have to have a big arm, just one that is mobile and moves the chains.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12. Washington

It’s a close call between Washington and Oregon for the top spot in the Pac-12 North. With the Huskies hosting the Ducks this season, and a belief in Chris Petersen and his staff, Washington is Athlon's pick to win the division once again in 2019. The Huskies held teams to 16.4 points a game and 4.67 yards a play last fall. The defense may not match those totals with just two returning starters but a significant drop-off isn't likely. Coordinator Jimmy Lake should have this unit performing at a high level in short order, especially with plenty of talent returning in the secondary and Benning Potoa'e and Levi Onwuzurike back to anchor the trenches. Washington's offense did just enough to win the Pac-12 last season, but Petersen and coordinator Bush Hamdan need more out of this group. Georgia transfer Jacob Eason is slated to replace Jake Browning under center, and the Huskies have a breakout star in Salvon Ahmed ready to move into the No. 1 running back role. Eason brings more arm strength and downfield passing ability to the offense, which will open up more opportunities for Ty Jones and Aaron Fuller. The return of tight end Hunter Bryant to full strength should provide a boost to the passing game. The line is among the best in the nation, with left tackle Trey Adams back to 100 percent after missing most of 2018 due to injury. The schedule sets up in Washington's favor. The Huskies catch USC, Oregon, Utah and Washington State all in Seattle this fall.

washington-huskies-head-coach-chris-petersen-throwing-the-ball-to-a-picture-id1047757992

Don't forget about your second favorite team.... I'll just do it for you.

17. Nebraska
nebraska-cornhuskers.png
Scott Frost has Nebraska trending up entering the 2019 season. The Cornhuskers finished 2018 by winning four out of their last six games. The two losses – Ohio State and Iowa – came by a combined eight points. Quarterback Adrian Martinez averaged 295.1 total yards a game as a freshman last year and will only get better with another offseason to work with Frost. Martinez's development is a big reason why the Cornhuskers are the pick to win the Big Ten West Division. The offensive line returns two starters, and JD Spielman (66 catches in 2018) will move into the No. 1 role after the departure of Stanley Morgan Jr. The status of running back Maurice Washington is uncertain due to legal issues, but junior college recruit Dedrick Mills should help in the backfield right away. True freshman and all-purpose threat Wan'Dale Robinson is a name to remember and a potential breakout candidate this fall. There's room for improvement on a Nebraska defense that allowed 5.8 yards per play and 31.3 points a game last fall. The good news for Frost: A good foundation is in place up front, and the line was bolstered by the addition of Oklahoma State transfer Darrion Daniels at tackle. Mohamed Barry (linebacker) and Dicaprio Bootle (cornerback) are two of the best in the Big Ten at their position. In addition to the projected improvement by Martinez and the offense, along with some gains on defense, Nebraska's schedule sets up favorably for a run at the West Division title. The Cornhuskers play Ohio State in crossover play but catch Indiana and Maryland in their other two games against the East. Additionally, Nebraska hosts Iowa, Wisconsin and Northwestern in Lincoln this fall.

giphy.gif

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

17. Nebraska
nebraska-cornhuskers.png
Scott Frost has Nebraska trending up entering the 2019 season. The Cornhuskers finished 2018 by winning four out of their last six games. The two losses – Ohio State and Iowa – came by a combined eight points. Quarterback Adrian Martinez averaged 295.1 total yards a game as a freshman last year and will only get better with another offseason to work with Frost. Martinez's development is a big reason why the Cornhuskers are the pick to win the Big Ten West Division. The offensive line returns two starters, and JD Spielman (66 catches in 2018) will move into the No. 1 role after the departure of Stanley Morgan Jr. The status of running back Maurice Washington is uncertain due to legal issues, but junior college recruit Dedrick Mills should help in the backfield right away. True freshman and all-purpose threat Wan'Dale Robinson is a name to remember and a potential breakout candidate this fall. There's room for improvement on a Nebraska defense that allowed 5.8 yards per play and 31.3 points a game last fall. The good news for Frost: A good foundation is in place up front, and the line was bolstered by the addition of Oklahoma State transfer Darrion Daniels at tackle. Mohamed Barry (linebacker) and Dicaprio Bootle (cornerback) are two of the best in the Big Ten at their position. In addition to the projected improvement by Martinez and the offense, along with some gains on defense, Nebraska's schedule sets up favorably for a run at the West Division title. The Cornhuskers play Ohio State in crossover play but catch Indiana and Maryland in their other two games against the East. Additionally, Nebraska hosts Iowa, Wisconsin and Northwestern in Lincoln this fall.
I'm surprised Athlon didn't have Nebraska in their top 10 after all the dick sucking they've done with Frost this year.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan and Ohio State ranked right next to each other.

That's the definition of being a pussy and not able to make a decision.
Pick one mother fuckers, and be a man.

They used to do that shit every year with Oklahoma and Texas.

Losers

gobigred

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,849,613.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

17. Nebraska
nebraska-cornhuskers.png

giphy.gif

I'm surprised Athlon didn't have Nebraska in their top 10 after all the dick sucking they've done with Frost this year.

Forgot the obvious

D1F129F1-C2FD-48B3-B9B7-003AFA72939E.jpeg

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

17. Nebraska
nebraska-cornhuskers.png

giphy.gif
College football's 10 biggest wildcard teams in 2019

NEBRASKA

I'm extremely high on the Huskers this fall, so much so that I've put my neck on the line and written about the possibility Nebraska could reach the Big Ten Championship if the defense shows vast improvements. This comes under the assumption quarterback Adrian Martinez is as good as advertised and depth concerns at running back — with Maurice Washington's status up in the air — and wideout are solved by the season opener. It's extremely important not to be too enamored with Scott Frost's potential in Year 2 with the Huskers what he did at UCF during his second season — and unfortunately, we all have. The schedule is considerably tougher in the Big Ten and finishing inside the Top 15 or so might be asking too much for a team that's still relatively unproven coming off a 4-8 finish.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you rank a team #1 that just got it's shit pushed in by their #2 team on the list.

Another joke of a publication.

OldDevilDawg

Idiot Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're fortunate that we have our toughest games at home. Jacob Eason is a giant wildcard and if he doesn't play well, we're going to be looking at a lot of close games.

If we played USC, Utah, Oregon and WSU on the road this year, I'd be skeptical regarding how many wins we have in 2019.

Love our Dawgs to death, but if I was a sports writer I'd be reluctant to place the Dawgs in the top 15 if not for our schedule.

Jacob Eason is actually pretty phenomenal. He earned his ranking coming out of HS. The only reason he didn't take back the reigns at UGA was you simply can't put a guy on the bench when he's winning every game he plays. Fromm kept the job and Eason got homesick and went back home before he would have won back the job in spring camp last year.

I'm not sure what y'all saw out of Eason, but I was impressed with his arm strength and accuracy when he was a freshman. I expect him to have learned a bit of touch in the last couple of years. I wish him the absolute best now that he gets to play in front of his family for one of the best HCs in the country.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think these rankings are awesome