• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Astros vs. Rangers

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is indeed, but will still cost a draft pick till the draft.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Bet teams will be all over him after the Draft. He may not even want to sign until then as he is more likely to get a better deal if no pick is involved.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong espn does over hype situations and people... it's what they do. But an Era after 1 or 2 starts really doesn't tell you that much about a SP

You wouldn't know it based on the nut swinging going on at espn.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You wouldn't know it based on the nut swinging going on at espn.

Honestly I quit watching espn years ago because of all the over hyping stuff, sensationalism, and the commentators general lack of knowledge about the teams I care about or even the sport it's self. Might as well be watching TMZ half the time.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also to be fair... they did the same thing with Darvish when he first started out and he had a 7+ ERA after his first start and a 4.76 after his second. Jury is still out on Tanaka... He has good potential though. The benchmark really shouldn't even be this season. It should be next season when all teams have a better scouting report on him

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
adam jones is trying to stir shit up with the media now after every game. he's letting the extra microphones around him get to his head.

pretty sure he struck out twice against tanaka too. not saying tanakas a beast or anything close to that, but jones is getting annoying

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
idk if he was saying that because his lineup sucks, as much as he was saying that because he was pissed that he made a mistake pitch and paid for it. in other words, i think he's accepting responsibility and thinking "dammit, that pitch just lost us the game."

I think it's pretty universal that pitchers all feel that way when they give up that shot. Don't know of many or any who would think well its up to the offense to ever win the game. Sure W's and L's aren't really a pitcher stat but I bet if you are a half way good pitcher you would disagree. It's called taking responsibility.

Guys who laugh on the way to the dugout don't last long.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh yeah, forgot about that. Bet teams will be all over him after the Draft. He may not even want to sign until then as he is more likely to get a better deal if no pick is involved.

Truer words were never spoken. And considering who is agent is ... it's going to be a real side show after the first day of the draft closes ... real reality TV ... the bidding war will start. I can see Boras up there on stage like an auctioneer. Going to be good theater.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I pitched in college, my pitching coach drilled into my head the fact that if we give up 2 runs in 9 innings and the pitchers for the other team combine to throw a shutout, we didnt do our job well enough. We dont give our team a chance to win the game, we WIN the game. We are directly responsible for whether we win or lose. If we have to put up 15 0's then so be it.

So whenever I watch pitchers in the show, I sorta have that in mind. It may be unrealistic, but they were trying to get the best out of us. So if we gave up one home run, in our heads we were thinking thats the game. Not cuz the offense is bad, but because the part of the game that we control, we screwed up. That's sorta why I have that opinion

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I pitched in college, my pitching coach drilled into my head the fact that if we give up 2 runs in 9 innings and the pitchers for the other team combine to throw a shutout, we didnt do our job well enough. We dont give our team a chance to win the game, we WIN the game. We are directly responsible for whether we win or lose. If we have to put up 15 0's then so be it.

So whenever I watch pitchers in the show, I sorta have that in mind. It may be unrealistic, but they were trying to get the best out of us. So if we gave up one home run, in our heads we were thinking thats the game. Not cuz the offense is bad, but because the part of the game that we control, we screwed up. That's sorta why I have that opinion

Sorry, your coaches meant well, but they were overzealous. That's a horrible mindset to have. You kept the team in the game by only allowing two runs. It's extremely unrealistic to hang zeroes every inning. I prefer pitchers that have a short memory and get back out there and keep throwing the same pitch even if the last guy drilled it. Trust your stuff.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haha how does having that mindset mean not trusting your stuff

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved it. We were the fucking men. 3rd ranked staff in the country two out of my 4 years there. We controlled what we could control. If our offense doesnt score that day, then theirs doesnt either. If our offense scores 8 runs that day, then we could afford to be off.

In other words, our coaches just wanted us to compete and perform better then the guy throwing for them. If we did that, we did our job. Our coaches got us to perform at our ceiling every day and I'll always be thankful for the mindset they gave us. We were great competitors and pitched every inning like it was our last. I honestly feel like that mindset has helped me in the real world too

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luke Jackson was roughed up last night pitching for Frisco. 3.1 IP giving up 7 runs.

Don't know much about Bryan Peterson for RR as this is his first year with our organization, at least I think, but is hitting leadoff with 4 HRs and 15 RBIs. Not much of an average though at 250.

And Gallo hit his first 2 homers and went 4-4 raising his average to 333. This was on the road and not at MB where homers have been non existent so far. Also at MB Buckel pitched 1 inning and walked 6 batters with 0 ks so Claudio came in and pitched 5 innnings and gave up 1 hit with 6 ks and 0 walks.

And at Hickory we finally had some bats as Demeritte hit 2 HRs and Vickerson had 3 hits with Brinson and Mazara each with 2 hits and Brinson hitting a HR.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, your coaches meant well, but they were overzealous. That's a horrible mindset to have. You kept the team in the game by only allowing two runs. It's extremely unrealistic to hang zeroes every inning. I prefer pitchers that have a short memory and get back out there and keep throwing the same pitch even if the last guy drilled it. Trust your stuff.

I'd have to agree with this sentiment

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I understand with him not playing they can make the DL clock start back on April 9th which is when he first missed a game. They do not have to make any move until Colby is called up because he agreed not to do anything rash yesterday knowing the situation and that he will probably pitch Monday or Tuesday. I think they want Beltre to be able to play in the Seattle series if he does well over the next few days. The DL would knock that out.

Sorry didn't see this yesterday. Hope you are right on that... I was unaware it worked like that. If that's the case it makes sense for them to hold off on it... especially to make sure he can vs Seattle as you mentioned.

Would this mean that if you held a player out of games for 14 days then needed a roster spot for just one game that you could just put said player on the 15 day dl for 1 day to open up that spot?

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry didn't see this yesterday. Hope you are right on that... I was unaware it worked like that. If that's the case it makes sense for them to hold off on it... especially to make sure he can vs Seattle as you mentioned.

Would this mean that if you held a player out of games for 14 days then needed a roster spot for just one game that you could just put said player on the 15 day dl for 1 day to open up that spot?

Checked it out and here is the scoop:

A club may make the placement of a player on either list retroactive to the last date in which he played, up to a maximum of 10 days. A club may send a player on the DL to the minor leagues for a rehab assignment lasting a maximum of 20 days for position players and 30 days for pitchers.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have to agree with this sentiment

Agree. Realistically a pitcher is going out there with the mindset of I am shutting these guys down each inning. Now that is a goal tough to achieve but what pitcher worth their salt is not going to at least think that way. It should not have to be coached into you. Now if you lose a game 2-0 you of course will be upset that you lost but the fact remains you know you pitched a good game overall. So there should not be a feeling that you failed in your task.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A club may make the placement of a player on either list retroactive to the last date in which he played, up to a maximum of 10 days. A club may send a player on the DL to the minor leagues for a rehab assignment lasting a maximum of 20 days for position players and 30 days for pitchers.

Cool thanks. So the limit is 10 days... guess that means we have till the 19th to see where he is and still would be able to get him back by the 24th.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cool thanks. So the limit is 10 days... guess that means we have till the 19th to see where he is and still would be able to get him back by the 24th.

Last edited by a moderator:

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OH MY GOD i just remembered that its friday and i dont get txa21. fuck fuck. oh well, maybe i can watch the stars clinch a playoff spot tonight