• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: @ Astros for the final road series

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True enough, there is a difference between MAKING that kind of money and actually EARNING it. Unfortunately, we've had this ace for over a decade, and while he shouldn't be feeling like he's been there twice as long, at times, it certainly seems like it, especially where games like last night are concerned.

It's hard not to like what he's done over the years, but when the team is trying to prove us wrong about the season (and I'll gladly admit being wrong should things turn out that way), the last thing you need is one of your best pitchers to conk out on the mound.

Perhaps they can go over his routine and do something to help like they did when Taijuan couldn't get out of that first inning some time ago?
The way the rotation is set right now, in the event that they get a wild card spot and get the one-game playoffs with whoever (Blue Jays), it would either be Felix or Paxton starting the game. I'm not sure I trust either option but I think Service will give the ball to Felix. He has waited a long time and has earned it. I'm not sure he is the right choice, but I think he is the choice they will go with.

If it was up to me and any guy in the rotation was available, I'd go with Iwakuma first and Miranda second.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice win today... That was basically a playoff game ... As is every game from here on out...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way the rotation is set right now, in the event that they get a wild card spot and get the one-game playoffs with whoever (Blue Jays), it would either be Felix or Paxton starting the game. I'm not sure I trust either option but I think Service will give the ball to Felix. He has waited a long time and has earned it. I'm not sure he is the right choice, but I think he is the choice they will go with.

If it was up to me and any guy in the rotation was available, I'd go with Iwakuma first and Miranda second.

I wouldn't give it to Miranda over Felix... I could see Iwa but like you said, Felix will be the guy and imo, he should be... Not because I trust him more than the other pitchers on our roster but he's meant so much to this city/team over the years, he's definitely earned the right to start in that kind of atmosphere/game... JMO...

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't give it to Miranda over Felix... I could see Iwa but like you said, Felix will be the guy and imo, he should be... Not because I trust him more than the other pitchers on our roster but he's meant so much to this city/team over the years, he's definitely earned the right to start in that kind of atmosphere/game... JMO...

Sure, Felix has earned the right. No question. But the fans have also earned the right to have the best pitcher available on the mound. Felix has been here since 2005. We've been waiting since 2002 and waiting for the World Series since 1977. Do you see where I am coming from? No disrespect for Felix. He was the only thing relevant about this team from 2009 to 2013. I appreciate him. But he doesn't have it this year and the fans deserve to have a pitcher on the mound who has a chance to keep the game competitive.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, Felix has earned the right. No question. But the fans have also earned the right to have the best pitcher available on the mound. Felix has been here since 2005. We've been waiting since 2002 and waiting for the World Series since 1977. Do you see where I am coming from? No disrespect for Felix. He was the only thing relevant about this team from 2009 to 2013. I appreciate him. But he doesn't have it this year and the fans deserve to have a pitcher on the mound who has a chance to keep the game competitive.

That's where I'm at in a way.

On one hand he has earned it, and in baseball that trumps everything.

But they would also need to win if they are in that situation.

I still believe Felix can be the ace the team needs he just needs IMO to go against every conventional wisdom baseball has ever taught and condense his repertoire. He spent so many seasons trying to perfect 5 or 6 that he needs to go back to perfecting one dominant pitch and an out pitch. Getting into hitters heads with a bunch of pitches isn't getting results.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now granted, he hasn't pitched in a postseason game but there were a few games where we needed our ace and he just simply didn't show up...

The M's pay their ACE, $25 million a year... We're in the heat of a pennant race in the month of September... Look how he has pitched over the past 6 games...

View attachment 148954

A time where this team needed him to step up and earn his pay, he hasn't even come close to that... It's disappointing but we all new this day would eventually come... I just wish it didn't come at this point in time...
He's had some bad starts this season for sure, never said otherwise. In fact, I pointed out that he's pretty much never good vs Houston.

I still don't think he's had the opportunity to pitch in very many "big" games in his career though.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great win indeed... Finally beating the Astro's in a series is a sight for sore eyes...
Definitely a good win. Unfortunately the Os came back in the 9th to keep us from gaining ground. The Tigers also pulled it out in a rain shortened game vs Cleveland. Baltimore plays early today, so scoreboard watching starts in about 2 hours.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely a good win. Unfortunately the Os came back in the 9th to keep us from gaining ground. The Tigers also pulled it out in a rain shortened game vs Cleveland. Baltimore plays early today, so scoreboard watching starts in about 2 hours.

Bummer I tuned in to watch the game and it's delayed

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bummer I tuned in to watch the game and it's delayed
Yeah, and it was Tigers and not Baltimore....and of course Balt won again so best we can be after today is still 2 games back.

The math of it all says we need the Os to lose 2 of 3 this weekend in NY or we are out. And that requires us to sweep Oakland.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and it was Tigers and not Baltimore....and of course Balt won again so best we can be after today is still 2 games back.

The math of it all says we need the Os to lose 2 of 3 this weekend in NY or we are out. And that requires us to sweep Oakland.

This is the first time in my life I've ever rooted for the Yankees to win anything. Boston and Atlanta can do us a big favor too by knocking off Toronto and Detroit respectively. First thing's first though... the M's have to win. Three games left and they're all winnable. If they're all by one run, I'll deal with the high blood pressure and gray hairs later. Just win.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the first time in my life I've ever rooted for the Yankees to win anything. Boston and Atlanta can do us a big favor too by knocking off Toronto and Detroit respectively. First thing's first though... the M's have to win. Three games left and they're all winnable. If they're all by one run, I'll deal with the high blood pressure and gray hairs later. Just win.
Yeah, Toronto.....lost track of their chance to fall back a bit too and now they're tied with Balt heading into the weekend. Coming down to the wire...