• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Asking the question that no one wants to ask

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OP's got a point. Regardless of how much actually is Ovechkin's fault, the past 12 months have been brutal on him. Not in terms of his actual hockey product, but all the other elements that make up a player. A deep playoff run would have helped tremendously, but now the season has ended in the absolute worst way possible. It will be a tough off-season I'm sure.

Can you imagine if he wins the Hart? I mean, it's probably the most likely outcome, but will he be excited to receive it?

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OP's got a point. Regardless of how much actually is Ovechkin's fault, the past 12 months have been brutal on him. Not in terms of his actual hockey product, but all the other elements that make up a player. A deep playoff run would have helped tremendously, but now the season has ended in the absolute worst way possible. It will be a tough off-season I'm sure.

Can you imagine if he wins the Hart? I mean, it's probably the most likely outcome, but will he be excited to receive it?

Man, that might make him feel worse? I dunno....I think he knows he will be getting many more of the performance trophies. Man he was trying to take the who Habs team on the last 1:30 all by himself. kinda like, "Fuck you all.....I am taking over now!" lol

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he will be fine. I actually think he played well this series, I cannot say that for everyone.

Jimmy_the_Tongue

Walks Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

[B]Can you imagine if he wins the Hart? I mean, it's probably the most likely outcome, but will he be excited to receive it?
[/B]

The only thing that could be worse for OV would be watching Sid accept the Hart (maybe), the Conn Smythe (who knows?) and the Rocket Richard on the same night...

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Is there a fucking question in there somewhere or what?

What happened to asking a question without having to read a whole book in the process? :D

I guess he's worried about where the Caps go from here. I could care less right now what they do with the team. I could care less about any individual on the team.

I just would love to see the Caps win the cup in my lifetime. I've been a Caps fan all my life, and although they've had some pretty damn good teams over the years, for whatever reason, they've always ended up short.

I like OV's style of play, and really do want to see him and the Caps win a cup together. Blame him, or Boudreau, the leadership is not there, IMHO. I'll be skeptical of this team winning in the post season, until I see changes that involve more commitment to defense...even though defense wasn't a problem in this series, if you look at it. We couldn't SCORE when we really needed to in this series.

I'm pretty sure I'd not be broken hearted if Mike Green were shopped. He just doesn't have the grit needed in the playoffs. He'd rather try and gain puck possession and try and score instead of sending a message with a nice back check.

I know you weren't looking for another book, but Caps fans can't get too much out in too few words right now- i need some really fun and successful fishing trips this summer to help me get over this one.

I do have a son graduating HS in a few weeks, and am looking forward to that, but honestly, i feel like I have a brick in my stomach right now, and no matter how many times the Caps do it to me, i'll never be used to it.

MM213

Медведей не кормить
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In the past 12 months, Alex Ovechkin has:

1. lost a humiliating game 7 to his on ice rival after playing his ass off for 6 straight games.

2. been a part of a team that layed a total egg in the Winter Olympics and coming home medalless after being a heavy favorite.

3. seen his game scrutinized more heavily than ever before. What was once called passion and drive was now called reckless and dangerous.

4. lost his image as everybody's loveable caveman and seen his public persona take a serious hit outside of his team's home town.

5. been repeatedly punished for his on ice behavior.

6. watched his team blow a 3-1 lead in a first round playoff series against an 8 seed when his team was the overall number 1 team in the league.

Much of the above is not in any way the fault of Alex, individually, but he was the face of the teams involved. His honeymoon in the media is over. It is not all bad news as he has helped his team to a record regular season performance, been named captain of his team and beat some personal miletsones, but the fact remains that the past 12 months have been disappointment after disappointment after disappointment for AO.

He is 24 years old. How will he respond? Will this motivate him, or will it break him down to some degree? Who knows, but it is an un-enviable position to be in.

He'll be alright. He is a competitor.
Not everybody gets Stanley Cup at 18. The guy is still young, he'll have a shot at it

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He'll be alright. He is a competitor.
Not everybody gets Stanley Cup at 18. The guy is still young, he'll have a shot at it

He'll have a shot at is as long as the Caps shore up their defense. And they could use a few Max Talbot's.

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll have a shot at is as long as the Caps shore up their defense. And they could use a few Max Talbot's.

If only every team had a superstar.

It's been a tough year for Ovechkin, but he'll play for the Cup in his career, I don't doubt that. Last year they were one game away from playing for the Cup, assuming they could handle the Canes. This year they just ran into the hottest goalie in the league. It happens.

Next year he's still the favorite for the Richard, the Caps are still favored for their division, and they're be in a similar position. It's just about finding the final pieces to the puzzle.

The biggest issue I find is the back-and-forth hockey that gets played in Washington. They take more risks to score goals than other teams in the league. Sure, the offensive stats will look great, but they risk a little too much in the playoffs where the games are closer. Maybe it's not an Ovechkin issue and it's a coaching issue.

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If only every team had a superstar.

It's been a tough year for Ovechkin, but he'll play for the Cup in his career, I don't doubt that. Last year they were one game away from playing for the Cup, assuming they could handle the Canes. This year they just ran into the hottest goalie in the league. It happens.

Next year he's still the favorite for the Richard, the Caps are still favored for their division, and they're be in a similar position. It's just about finding the final pieces to the puzzle.

The biggest issue I find is the back-and-forth hockey that gets played in Washington. They take more risks to score goals than other teams in the league. Sure, the offensive stats will look great, but they risk a little too much in the playoffs where the games are closer. Maybe it's not an Ovechkin issue and it's a coaching issue.

They could use a Michel Therrien lite. It's like they have the same issue we had with Therrien, only opposite. Therrien concentrated way too much on defense, which handicapped some of his players. Boudreau concentrates way too much on offense, which means players aren't getting better defensively (with few exceptions) or are not able to shut it down when it counts.

smo5039

talkin puck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

DING DING DING we have a winner

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK,

There is A TON of good thought and insightful analysis on this thread and I really have anjoyed reading it.

I do, however, want to reiterate my point in making it.

Ovie has played outstanding and given his all in every shift that he has taken but it has not been enough to carry his team. This has to be frustrating. I really think that this next season is going to be CRITICAL to his development. This has happened before and some athletes have built their team up and created dynasties that work around them (Troy Aikman, Kobe Bryant, Sid Crosby, Ray Lewis). Others have crashed and burned (Terrell Owens, Eric Lindros, Barry Bonds).

I think he is more like the former of the list and think that with the right nucleus, he can be successful, but I am just worried about what is going through his head right now. We all know how bad Alex takes even the smallest of losses. I just hope that he has the emotional ability to handle this and channel it into working on building up his team and teammates from within.

Step 1, before dealing with the coach or roster is to SIGN NICKLAS BACKSTROM LONG TERM AND GIVE HIM AN A. He is Ovies rock. He is a perfect linemate and a locker room support. He is quiet on the ice but loud in the locker room and Ovie needs to know that he has his back for a long long time. I realize that guys like Knuble and Morrison and Poti are veterans and are given the A as a sign of respect, but Backy has been there longer than either. He and Ovie are the nucleus of this team and they need to know that as do their teammates.

(done ranting, still kind of shell shocked)

Urkie

The MVP...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So what is the question? Are you asking whether or not Ovechkin is a choker?

I don't think he is but there seems to be something missing. From what I saw last night and at the Olympics is this though. He tries to do it all by himself in these types of situations and it makes him easy to defend. You can never do it all on your own, I don't care who you are. He just needs to trust his teammates a little more and use them to his advantage. All last night he tried to pull of the big play all on his own and it failed every time.

Just my 2 cents.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK,

There is A TON of good thought and insightful analysis on this thread and I really have anjoyed reading it.

I do, however, want to reiterate my point in making it.

Ovie has played outstanding and given his all in every shift that he has taken but it has not been enough to carry his team. This has to be frustrating. I really think that this next season is going to be CRITICAL to his development. This has happened before and some athletes have built their team up and created dynasties that work around them (Troy Aikman, Kobe Bryant, Sid Crosby, Ray Lewis). Others have crashed and burned (Terrell Owens, Eric Lindros, Barry Bonds).

I think he is more like the former of the list and think that with the right nucleus, he can be successful, but I am just worried about what is going through his head right now. We all know how bad Alex takes even the smallest of losses. I just hope that he has the emotional ability to handle this and channel it into working on building up his team and teammates from within.

Step 1, before dealing with the coach or roster is to SIGN NICKLAS BACKSTROM LONG TERM AND GIVE HIM AN A. He is Ovies rock. He is a perfect linemate and a locker room support. He is quiet on the ice but loud in the locker room and Ovie needs to know that he has his back for a long long time. I realize that guys like Knuble and Morrison and Poti are veterans and are given the A as a sign of respect, but Backy has been there longer than either. He and Ovie are the nucleus of this team and they need to know that as do their teammates.

(done ranting, still kind of shell shocked)

Listened to some of the podcasts from this mornings talk-shows discussing the game. An interesting point that was brought up in one of them.... Ovechkin has now played in four Stanley Cup Playoff series. All four of them have gone to a game 7, while he and his caps are currently 1 win and 3 losses in those four said series.

I don't think it's any one thing that Alex is missing from his game. I believe it's the style of play they as a team are trying to utilize, and the players that are being counted on in tight checking, zero room.. kick your ass series.

They need to work below the goal line more with their cycle, and they need a defenseman who has stay at home capabilities... A'la Anton Volchenkov.

Just my two cents.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what is the question? Are you asking whether or not Ovechkin is a choker?

I don't think he is but there seems to be something missing. From what I saw last night and at the Olympics is this though. He tries to do it all by himself in these types of situations and it makes him easy to defend. You can never do it all on your own, I don't care who you are. He just needs to trust his teammates a little more and use them to his advantage. All last night he tried to pull of the big play all on his own and it failed every time.

Just my 2 cents.

How do you think he will handle a 12 month period loaded with disappointment and heartbreak (in the hockey sense, he needs only look to his Goalie for perspective)?

Urkie

The MVP...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How do you think he will handle a 12 month period loaded with disappointment and heartbreak (in the hockey sense, he needs only look to his Goalie for perspective)?

How will he handle the disappointment? Well, he looked pretty disappointed in his interview after the game. Hopefully he doesn't take it too hard because it wasn't just his fault. What he needs to do is learn from it and take positives out of it. That's all he can do right now and he needs to get his teammates to buy into what he's doing so they can come back stronger.

I think he'll be fine come next year but I do think he needs to change his approach to big games. As I said, he's too focused on trying to do it all himself. There were countless times he was looking down at the puck trying to dangle by Hal Gill and company on his own. He's got to realize he has teammates and that he can use them to create space for himself.

kenyg54

Only sane person out here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hopefully he'll react like Steve Yezerman did after suffering through similar setbacks 1993-6 (though I doubt he will as no one is Stevie)