• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Asking the question that no one wants to ask

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the past 12 months, Alex Ovechkin has:

1. lost a humiliating game 7 to his on ice rival after playing his ass off for 6 straight games.

2. been a part of a team that layed a total egg in the Winter Olympics and coming home medalless after being a heavy favorite.

3. seen his game scrutinized more heavily than ever before. What was once called passion and drive was now called reckless and dangerous.

4. lost his image as everybody's loveable caveman and seen his public persona take a serious hit outside of his team's home town.

5. been repeatedly punished for his on ice behavior.

6. watched his team blow a 3-1 lead in a first round playoff series against an 8 seed when his team was the overall number 1 team in the league.

Much of the above is not in any way the fault of Alex, individually, but he was the face of the teams involved. His honeymoon in the media is over. It is not all bad news as he has helped his team to a record regular season performance, been named captain of his team and beat some personal miletsones, but the fact remains that the past 12 months have been disappointment after disappointment after disappointment for AO.

He is 24 years old. How will he respond? Will this motivate him, or will it break him down to some degree? Who knows, but it is an un-enviable position to be in.

smo5039

talkin puck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There is a reason why he has been coming up on the short end of the stick. Not positive on what it is but its gotta be something.

Great entertainer but maybe there is something missing.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a reason why he has been coming up on the short end of the stick. Not positive on what it is but its gotta be something.

Great entertainer but maybe there is something missing.

I really do not think that a lot of the above is a direct result of HIS actions. he was the second best player in the Pens series. he played great in this past series and was good to very good throughout the Olympics. I wonder if he willbecome frustrated, and how he will respond to that. Superstars who play well but have the team around them underperfrom can go different ways. They can become Terrell Owens, or they can become Kobe Bryant. Which will he be.

smo5039

talkin puck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I get what you are saying. The guy is fucking awsome. It will be interesting if he changes anything in his game though to compensate for the shortcomings of his team(s).

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you are saying. The guy is fucking awsome. It will be interesting if he changes anything in his game though to compensate for the shortcomings of his team(s).

I think that signing Backstrom long term is a key. Word on the street is that Backstrom is the guy who confronts him and gets up in his face in practice and the locker room and that he listens to him. he is like the grounding force for Ovie and a long term deal for Nicky B would do a lot to stablizie his psyche.

Squatchito

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't find myself worrying too much about Ovie, though he certainly has a stigma to overcome. Statistically speaking he of course had a great year, but standing back and looking at the whole picture he didn't have a very good one. I think he'll bounce back fine.

Bouncing back and motivating his teammates is another issue. I also think he will be capable of doing so, though this will be a far better challenge than getting himself ready to go.

I find myself much more interested in how Alex Semin comes back. He looked completely shattered on the bench at the end of the game.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't find myself worrying too much about Ovie, though he certainly has a stigma to overcome. Statistically speaking he of course had a great year, but standing back and looking at the whole picture he didn't have a very good one. I think he'll bounce back fine.

Bouncing back and motivating his teammates is another issue. I also think he will be capable of doing so, though this will be a far better challenge than getting himself ready to go.

I find myself much more interested in how Alex Semin comes back. He looked completely shattered on the bench at the end of the game.

He may be coming back ina Kings or Oilers uniform, honestly....

His contract is very moveable.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the past 12 months, Alex Ovechkin has:

1. lost a humiliating game 7 to his on ice rival after playing his ass off for 6 straight games.

2. been a part of a team that layed a total egg in the Winter Olympics and coming home medalless after being a heavy favorite.

3. seen his game scrutinized more heavily than ever before. What was once called passion and drive was now called reckless and dangerous.

4. lost his image as everybody's loveable caveman and seen his public persona take a serious hit outside of his team's home town.

5. been repeatedly punished for his on ice behavior.

6. watched his team blow a 3-1 lead in a first round playoff series against an 8 seed when his team was the overall number 1 team in the league.

Much of the above is not in any way the fault of Alex, individually, but he was the face of the teams involved. His honeymoon in the media is over. It is not all bad news as he has helped his team to a record regular season performance, been named captain of his team and beat some personal miletsones, but the fact remains that the past 12 months have been disappointment after disappointment after disappointment for AO.

He is 24 years old. How will he respond? Will this motivate him, or will it break him down to some degree? Who knows, but it is an un-enviable position to be in.

Is there a fucking question in there somewhere or what?

What happened to asking a question without having to read a whole book in the process? :D

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a fucking question in there somewhere or what?

What happened to asking a question without having to read a whole book in the process? :D

Sorry Tweeker. The Pink Dragon has crushed your attention span. This is completely understandable. Here is the short version:

AO has has an awful 12 months with his teams being ocnstant disappointments even though he has been relatively sucessful. Will it crush him or motivate him?

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Semin for Jack Johnson? I could see it.

I know Semin had a crummy series, but that would be a steal for the Kings. I don't see the Caps moving Semin. The guy is only 26 years old.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The scary thing is we all know he is just going to get better and the Caps are going to get better. Once they figure it out.....they could be dominant for years to come. I am excited for it too!

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Semin might have a cumming out party from Johnson.

implied-facepalm.jpg