• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

As a goodwill ambassador

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB rests players (beyond pitcher rotations)? I know you have to be athletic and put your body on the line for certain dives and stuff and there are so many more baseball games than NBA, it just seems that resting in baseball is stupid. I think resting in basketball is also stupid because of the data the NBA says they have on injury risk.

Yes, position players have been resting more in the past decade too.

Starting pitchers also don't go deep into games, because there's concerns about pitch count. Some teams even have a 49% bullpen usage, which means their bullpen has thrown 49% of the innings in a game, for the season.

2001: 7 players played 162
2006: 6 players
2011: 3 players
2016: 5 players
2021: 2 players
2023: 4 players

Also, just because they play 162, doesn't mean they play every out. I don't know if it's still true, but Juan Pierre did it in 2004.

However, the number of innings was 1,439 and not 1,458 (9 * 162). I guess there were some rain shortened games or something. Wait, you don't take the field in the 9th if you're the road team and losing.

So in some road games, the most you could have taken the field was 8 innings. So I guess that might offset some extra inning games.