• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Around the NFL

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday, teams made decisions to keep players by putting the Franchise tag on them.

The Bears tagged Allen Robinson.

The Bucs tagged Chris Godwin.

The free agent WRs just got a pay boost.

All of ""names"" have been tagged.

Hopefully BB will go after John Ross CIN, Will Fuller or Keelan Cole. If he called them immediately, I think he could sign one maybe two right away.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The salary cap is officially announced and already the "experts" are saying that the Patriots will have a very hard time signing free agents unless they overpay.

From my seat here, I think that's total bullshit and the Patriot haters are praying like hell that BB doesn't pull a major coup and start another dynasty run of 20 years.

According to those guys, playing for matt Patricia and Bill O'Brien has "tainted" the Patriot culture and Brady winning the Super Boewl has tarnished the 6 trophies in the patriots' case. Of course playing for Brian Flores or Joe Judge isn't the same and they have their own cultures.

Considering that CAPTRAC has just released their numbers and they show that the Patriots have $66,159, 667. That second only to the Jets who have $67,246, 042

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Above are the official team dollars that they have available for 2021.

Only 9 teams have $30M or more. 10 have less than $1 and the Bills who are supposedly going to sign Golladay and sixteen other have $116,000.

I'm telling all Patriot fans, Bill is going to be playing in that big BLOOD PUDDLE that is going to start to form today. Watching the death of a thousand cuts is going to be like watching the gladiators in Rome.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The salary cap is officially announced and already the "experts" are saying that the Patriots will have a very hard time signing free agents unless they overpay.

From my seat here, I think that's total bullshit and the Patriot haters are praying like hell that BB doesn't pull a major coup and start another dynasty run of 20 years.

According to those guys, playing for matt Patricia and Bill O'Brien has "tainted" the Patriot culture and Brady winning the Super Boewl has tarnished the 6 trophies in the patriots' case. Of course playing for Brian Flores or Joe Judge isn't the same and they have their own cultures.

Considering that CAPTRAC has just released their numbers and they show that the Patriots have $66,159, 667. That second only to the Jets who have $67,246, 042

Well some of those experts are players themselves that have come out and said they do not want to play for the Patriots. Matthew Stafford was the biggest most recent name that said he would not want to be traded to the Patriots. I do think Brady being gone is a huge hit in trying to get FA's to come unless they are paid like a true FA that hits the market. Why take less to go to a team that you don't think is competing for Super Bowls and is very hard on their players? That lure of playing for a contender just doesn't exist anymore and the Patriots will have to adjust.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well some of those experts are players themselves that have come out and said they do not want to play for the Patriots. Matthew Stafford was the biggest most recent name that said he would not want to be traded to the Patriots. I do think Brady being gone is a huge hit in trying to get FA's to come unless they are paid like a true FA that hits the market. Why take less to go to a team that you don't think is competing for Super Bowls and is very hard on their players? That lure of playing for a contender just doesn't exist anymore and the Patriots will have to adjust.
BB has aleady said that he will NOT overpay. If they don't like his offer, then they're free to look elsewhere. Since 75% of the NFL teams don't have any money to spend, There won't be a huge marketplace. Turn down Bill's first offer and then find that there isn't anything better, don't be surprused to come back and find that that offer is off the table. Bill won't play the one year and gone game either.

for the first time in NFL history, the FA market is a Buyers market not a seller's. There is nearly 500 free agent veterans out there and there are 290 kids waiting for the draft. With the exception of the Jets and jags, I don't think that teams will be signing players to huge multi-year contracts.

The guys who get cut in the next couple of days will have the opportunity to immediately sign and beat the free gent clock.

Don't count the Patriots out. No one has an inkling of what Belichick is thinking or has planned.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB has aleady said that he will NOT overpay. If they don't like his offer, then they're free to look elsewhere. Since 75% of the NFL teams don't have any money to spend, There won't be a huge marketplace. Turn down Bill's first offer and then find that there isn't anything better, don't be surprused to come back and find that that offer is off the table. Bill won't play the one year and gone game either.

for the first time in NFL history, the FA market is a Buyers market not a seller's. There is nearly 500 free agent veterans out there and there are 290 kids waiting for the draft. With the exception of the Jets and jags, I don't think that teams will be signing players to huge multi-year contracts.

The guys who get cut in the next couple of days will have the opportunity to immediately sign and beat the free gent clock.

Don't count the Patriots out. No one has an inkling of what Belichick is thinking or has planned.

I'm not disagreeing that contracts will be weird this offseason and players will not be getting what they had hoped for most guys. What I'm saying is a lot of these guys that are willing to take the pay cuts why would you go to the Patriots? Why wouldn't you take those deals to go to the Packers, Bucs, Chiefs, etc. that players see Super Bowl potential to boost their contract value in a year or two?

Belichick can continue to operate like he has in the past if he wants. I'm just saying he is going to find it harder to get players on board with his plan because the team is just not set up to be a contender right now. Things change in a hurry in the NFL but to expect things to be exactly how they have always been the last 20 years is foolish in my opinion.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same thing every year. You come here with these very generic rehashed opinions that are based on talking head speculations rather than substance. This isn't a personal attack, you seem like a fine person and all, but your "opinion" really doesn't seems like your actual opinion and just seems like fodder.

Players will come here to play. BB is known for giving opportunities for players who play hard and rewards those who earn their keep. You would think every where is like that, but I guess it's not.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same thing every year. You come here with these very generic rehashed opinions that are based on talking head speculations rather than substance. This isn't a personal attack, you seem like a fine person and all, but your "opinion" really doesn't seems like your actual opinion and just seems like fodder.

Players will come here to play. BB is known for giving opportunities for players who play hard and rewards those who earn their keep. You would think every where is like that, but I guess it's not.

I guess I'm not sure what you are wanting from me here. I gave an actual real life example of a player being the one that said "do not trade me to the Patriots" and somehow there is no substance in that. I can point to plenty of others that have said the same thing. The Patriot Way is not for everyone. Watson is wanting out of Houston because he doesn't want to be a part of the Patriot Way. Others thrive in that type of environment. All I've said is that without a HOF QB at the helm FA is going to be more difficult than in years past. That isn't some out of this world thinking. It is just the way things go. Players went to New England on some cheaper deals because they expected to play for Championships. Broncos had that with Manning in town of guys willing to take a bit less to compete. Brady is gone and players are not going to just flock to the Patriots because hey they had 20 years of greatness before.

I still think Belichick is a great coach and has some decent moments as a GM. Just obviously both jobs get much tougher without a QB that you know is great.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'm not sure what you are wanting from me here. I gave an actual real life example of a player being the one that said "do not trade me to the Patriots" and somehow there is no substance in that. I can point to plenty of others that have said the same thing. The Patriot Way is not for everyone. Watson is wanting out of Houston because he doesn't want to be a part of the Patriot Way. Others thrive in that type of environment. All I've said is that without a HOF QB at the helm FA is going to be more difficult than in years past. That isn't some out of this world thinking. It is just the way things go. Players went to New England on some cheaper deals because they expected to play for Championships. Broncos had that with Manning in town of guys willing to take a bit less to compete. Brady is gone and players are not going to just flock to the Patriots because hey they had 20 years of greatness before.

I still think Belichick is a great coach and has some decent moments as a GM. Just obviously both jobs get much tougher without a QB that you know is great.
Stafford is a great example.
A great example of not liking the Patricia way.
Contrarily, let me offer Trent Brown and his very much liking the idea of returning to New England. Let me double that with Aquib Talib. Loved playing in New England.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But it was a cherry picked example.

Did Stafford say he didn't want to play there because BB is nothing without Brady? Did he say he didn't want to play for a team that expects their players to work hard? The likely explanation is he doesn't want to be in the same area code as his former coach, Matt Patricia.

Watson wants out because they implied he would have input in the coaching choice, then was left out.

Last edited:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford is a great example.
A great example of not liking the Patricia way.
Contrarily, let me offer Trent Brown and his very much liking the idea of returning to New England. Let me double that with Aquib Talib. Loved playing in New England.

I never said all players hate the Patriot Way. In fact I think there are plenty who prefer it. I'm just saying that some of what made players willing to sign with the Patriots before is no longer there.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why wouldn't you take those deals to go to the Packers, Bucs, Chiefs, etc. that players see Super Bowl potential to boost their contract value in a year or two?
How about players won't go to the pacers, Chiefs and Bucs because they don't have any money to spend on them. The Bucs would have had $33M to spend, but have had to resign some of their own guys and that's already eaten up about $21M.

Packers are at -$13M and the Chiefs are at -$23M. The Chiefs will be lucky if they can renegotiate and cut enough players of the 51 to get enough money to draft. Check out how serious this is for teams.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said all players hate the Patriot Way. In fact I think there are plenty who prefer it. I'm just saying that some of what made players willing to sign with the Patriots before is no longer there.
That's crap. If I said "I heard your breath stinks" It means I'm saying your breath stinks not that I'm stating a certain person just happens to have that opinion. You made a statement implying one thing and are now attributing that as a partial statement of select opinions.

Just own your statements man.

I'm laughing. I know you have a lot of connections and spend a lot of time discussing football... I'm not trying to chase you away.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's crap. If I said "I heard your breath stinks" It means I'm saying your breath stinks not that I'm stating a certain person just happens to have that opinion. You made a statement implying one thing and are now attributing that as a partial statement of select opinions.

Just own your statements man.

I'm laughing. I know you have a lot of connections and spend a lot of time discussing football... I'm not trying to chase you away.

what a world to live in where everything is black and white. I have said some players do not like the Patriot Way and somehow that means every player in your world.

most everything in sports is nuanced in nature. You cannot speak in extremes and last long in this business.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what a world to live in where everything is black and white. I have said some players do not like the Patriot Way and somehow that means every player in your world.

most everything in sports is nuanced in nature. You cannot speak in extremes and last long in this business.
Read your own post...

Where does it say anything about some players possibly wanting to play for the Pats and liking the Patriot way. It completely implies the Pats are "undesirable". More over, it was a rebuttal to someone else who expressed the Pats having difficulty signing free agents is overblown.

You expressed an opinion there, then instead of sticking with it (which would be fine), you change your intent..

I remember a guy wanting to beat me up for telling other kids his sister had fooled around with somebody. When cornered I denied it by saying "I said HE said he fooled around with her"...Good thing I could run fast... but again, I was 14.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your example is Matt Stafford. He did not want to play for Patricia. Nothing to do with anything else.
Bad example.....

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys that do not want to play for the Patriots know that they will be held accountable. There are no excuses with Belichick. If you don't or can't do your job, he will find someone else and you'll be unemployed. Most of the players who've said they don't want to play for BB or the patriots aren't worth the money they're getting and Stafford is my perfect example of that. Hoe many playoff games has Stafford led the Lions to? Even with Calvin Johnson he couldn't pass them to a wild card. In all honesty, he belongs in California.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read your own post...

Where does it say anything about some players possibly wanting to play for the Pats and liking the Patriot way. It completely implies the Pats are "undesirable". More over, it was a rebuttal to someone else who expressed the Pats having difficulty signing free agents is overblown.

You expressed an opinion there, then instead of sticking with it (which would be fine), you change your intent..

I remember a guy wanting to beat me up for telling other kids his sister had fooled around with somebody. When cornered I denied it by saying "I said HE said he fooled around with her"...Good thing I could run fast... but again, I was 14.

This is what I said...

"Well some of those experts are players themselves that have come out and said they do not want to play for the Patriots. Matthew Stafford was the biggest most recent name that said he would not want to be traded to the Patriots. I do think Brady being gone is a huge hit in trying to get FA's to come unless they are paid like a true FA that hits the market. Why take less to go to a team that you don't think is competing for Super Bowls and is very hard on their players? That lure of playing for a contender just doesn't exist anymore and the Patriots will have to adjust."

Where in there does it say that no player wants to sign with the Patriots? I said that Brady being gone will make it more difficult to get some players to come to the Patriots and especially take the more team friendly deals.

Money is going to have to be a bigger driving force of why a player signs with the Patriots when right now it is tough to see them competing for Super Bowls at least this upcoming season. Things turn around quickly in the NFL, but if you are not competing for Super Bowls players are usually looking for the best deal. That goes for any team outside of a handful.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I said...

"Well some of those experts are players themselves that have come out and said they do not want to play for the Patriots. Matthew Stafford was the biggest most recent name that said he would not want to be traded to the Patriots. I do think Brady being gone is a huge hit in trying to get FA's to come unless they are paid like a true FA that hits the market. Why take less to go to a team that you don't think is competing for Super Bowls and is very hard on their players? That lure of playing for a contender just doesn't exist anymore and the Patriots will have to adjust."

Where in there does it say that no player wants to sign with the Patriots? I said that Brady being gone will make it more difficult to get some players to come to the Patriots and especially take the more team friendly deals.

Money is going to have to be a bigger driving force of why a player signs with the Patriots when right now it is tough to see them competing for Super Bowls at least this upcoming season. Things turn around quickly in the NFL, but if you are not competing for Super Bowls players are usually looking for the best deal. That goes for any team outside of a handful.
You should be ashamed Dumler. The Patriots are the best franchis in sports.
Although not perfect, it's still a very desirable place to be.
Now you qualified your comments with "make it more difficult"
For players that don't want to play for Pats, it will be more difficult - let them play somewhere else. There are 31 other teams.
Now for free agents needing a job, the fact that that Pats can sign them more than makes up the difference.
For the record. I have not seen a single player that I want signed come out as opposed to signing with the Patriots.

Now that Elway has srewed the pooch in Denver, perhaps you are hoping for other teams to share your misery?????