• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Around the AFCN

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vague video, but there's hope for his return soon

If he's close, they probably would bring him back after the bye week for the NE game.

FWIW I think if they lose in SEA, they could be .500 after week 9. NE is starting to hits some bumps in the road though...if BAL has their CBs at full strength I would expect them to go old school vs NE and man up on their WRs and try to maybe go with one less LB and try to get a S or a another CB on James White. Of course...Michel could get 30 carries if they do that....lol.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
North Week 7 Recap

@Bridgeburner

IDK man...SEA helped them but that was a solid win out there. I didn't expect it to be honest.

BAL...5-2, W 30-16 @ SEA...The Ravens go on the road and take one from the Seahawks. This was a fairly entertaining game for it to be played in tough conditions. The Ravens DEF was the difference in this game. Down 10-6 and SEA driving for another score, Marcus Peters, the new addition this week jumps route on a weakly thrown ball by Russell Wilson and takes it back for 6 giving BAL the lead again 13-10. The 'Hawks respond with a FG of their own to tie the game and from that point on, Jackson made play after play with his legs. and Humphrey put it away with a scoop and score fumble return.

Next week...Bye

CIN...0-7, L 17-27 vs JAX...This was a close low scoring game for a long time. In fact thru 3Qtrs, JAX only had 3 FGs and CIN had the 1 TD and FG. After CIN made a short FG to go up 10-9, JAX took the ensuing drive and basically the offensive play of the game, Conley took a short crossing pattern up field for a long play and got them inside the RZ and they scored a couple of plays later. The Bengals drive nicely into the RZ themselves on the following possession and Dalton stared down a short pass and LB Myles Jack picks it off...CIN DEF forced a punt...Dalton then tries a screen pass under duress...it got picked as well and this one returned for 6 and this game was a wrap.

Next week...@ LAR

CLE...2-4...Bye

Next week @NE

PIT...2-4, Bye

Next week...vs MIA

In an nutshell, the Ravens made a huge move with that road win in SEA, they have a firm 2 game lead in the DIV. CIN made a big move as well...at 0-7, they're officially in the Tua sweepstakes now. With the OCT 29 trade dead line looming, we'll have to see if they hold firm to keeping AJ Green.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
North Week 7 Recap

@Bridgeburner

IDK man...SEA helped them but that was a solid win out there. I didn't expect it to be honest.

Yeah surprised me as well. I still chalk it up to "Any Given Sunday". Lamar Jackson just isn't a good quarterback. Right now, he's a good football player, but he's a shit QB. Their defense played better but I'd probably say that had a lot to do with Seattle not playing well.

AND... we almost beat them with our third-string QB. I'm going to hang onto that until we actually beat the fuckers for real.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah surprised me as well. I still chalk it up to "Any Given Sunday". Lamar Jackson just isn't a good quarterback. Right now, he's a good football player, but he's a shit QB. Their defense played better but I'd probably say that had a lot to do with Seattle not playing well.

AND... we almost beat them with our third-string QB. I'm going to hang onto that until we actually beat the fuckers for real.

Yeah, the two scoring turnovers had a lot to do with BAL winning.

Defending BAL is a different animal with Jackson. He gets a lot of yards off broken plays because he's so good at running it. There will be games especially in the playoffs when teams will focus more on him as a runner and he will have to show he's grown as a passer which I see a little bit more than LY.

For what we expect the QB to do...he's just so so. But you said it best...he's a good football player. NE will be a good game to watch them defend him in a couple of weeks.

I'm not that enamored with the Ravens DEF...it will be on the road, but if the Steeler QB situation has improved by week 17...maybe we'll get that split.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the two scoring turnovers had a lot to do with BAL winning.

Defending BAL is a different animal with Jackson. He gets a lot of yards off broken plays because he's so good at running it. There will be games especially in the playoffs when teams will focus more on him as a runner and he will have to show he's grown as a passer which I see a little bit more than LY.

For what we expect the QB to do...he's just so so. But you said it best...he's a good football player. NE will be a good game to watch them defend him in a couple of weeks.

I'm not that enamored with the Ravens DEF...it will be on the road, but if the Steeler QB situation has improved by week 17...maybe we'll get that split.
We need that split...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need that split...

Well, at this point if they don't handle their biz these next few weeks...that split won't matter.

That said, every freakin preseason I think we can sweep the Ravens, they end up splitting or getting swept themselves so I call every year a split now.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to overreact to the Ravens win in Seattle.... That same Seahawk team was outplayed by the lowly Bengals. I don't think they're that great.

But..... The Ravens are showing something. And though I still don't think Jackson running the ball is going to be sustainable long term, this is the most dangerous their offense has been in some time. Jackson also appears to be one heck of a leader. Their ceiling is higher than I thought.

This might interest fans of Pro Football Focus..... Yesterday's highest graded PFF player was Andy Dalton. Yes, the same guy that threw 3 interceptions and basically cemented the team's loss was the highest graded player on the roster. This is a sad and pathetic roster.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to overreact to the Ravens win in Seattle.... That same Seahawk team was outplayed by the lowly Bengals. I don't think they're that great.

But..... The Ravens are showing something. And though I still don't think Jackson running the ball is going to be sustainable long term, this is the most dangerous their offense has been in some time. Jackson also appears to be one heck of a leader. Their ceiling is higher than I thought.

This might interest fans of Pro Football Focus..... Yesterday's highest graded PFF player was Andy Dalton. Yes, the same guy that threw 3 interceptions and basically cemented the team's loss was the highest graded player on the roster. This is a sad and pathetic roster.

BAL...it was a good win. SEA's D is not the same as it was a few years ago, but 200+ yds on the ground is kicking butt. I was more impressed with the Ravens DEF than I was with anything Jackson did...but he was clutch. Given that they practice against a similar type player I thought SEA might defend the QB run better than they did, but with the ball in his hands, Jackson is a dangerous player.

Right now the Ravens is the team to beat in the north...no question.

PFF...are you serious? Wow, whatever credibility they had just went out the window!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wk 8 Recap

BAL...5-2, Bye.

Next week...vs NE

PIT...3-4, W, 27-14 vs MIA. After spotting the Dolphins a 14-0 lead in the 1st Qtr, the Steelers came back with a strong 2nd half effort on both sides of the ball to post back to back wins this year.

Next week...vs IND

CLE...2-5, L, 13-27 @ NE. On a rainy evening, the Browns controlled the LOS, but turnovers negated a solid effort on the ground by nick Chubb. Mayfield struggled, sacked 5 times and also threw a pick. Brady has a steady, mostly mistake free game.

Next week...@ DEN

CIN...0-8, L vs 10-24 vs LAR (London)...after trading a FG and TD with the Rams, the Bengals gave up 2 TDs to give us the final margin. Kupps was the big weapon for the Rams, he had over 200 yds receiving. Goff did not have a great day other wise, but I don't think the Bengals DL had much to do with it, almost no pressure on him from the CIN front 4.

Next week...Bye

The Ravens are still very much in control of the DIV, but with KC losing 3 of it's last 4, the Colts (5-2) are the early 2 seed thru 8 weeks of play.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to be an interesting few weeks coming up.....

The season can still be saved for Cleveland. They're finished playing a difficult stretch of opponents and now should be favored to win 2 straight before a big home match-up with the Steelers in primetime. They're an odd team in that they can dominate the line at times and yet they have the tendency to implode at the worst possible time. Kitchens looks out of place as a HC and Mayfield looks like he is having a hard time living up to expectations.

Interesting set of home games coming up for the Steelers. The Colts have played with some of the best (beating KC in KC) and definitely look the part of a playoff team. The Rams have tons of talent and are not playing up to potential. A split here sets up Pittsburgh for an important run of division games where they can make up ground. A sweep has them sitting pretty. Lose them both and I'm not sure they can recover.

The Ravens play the Rams, Texans and Patriots this coming month..... If the Browns or Steelers are hoping this division tightens up, this is likely their chance.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to be an interesting few weeks coming up.....

The season can still be saved for Cleveland. They're finished playing a difficult stretch of opponents and now should be favored to win 2 straight before a big home match-up with the Steelers in primetime. They're an odd team in that they can dominate the line at times and yet they have the tendency to implode at the worst possible time. Kitchens looks out of place as a HC and Mayfield looks like he is having a hard time living up to expectations.

Interesting set of home games coming up for the Steelers. The Colts have played with some of the best (beating KC in KC) and definitely look the part of a playoff team. The Rams have tons of talent and are not playing up to potential. A split here sets up Pittsburgh for an important run of division games where they can make up ground. A sweep has them sitting pretty. Lose them both and I'm not sure they can recover.

The Ravens play the Rams, Texans and Patriots this coming month..... If the Browns or Steelers are hoping this division tightens up, this is likely their chance.

CLE...agree. Mayfield is starting to settle into being something maybe a little less than what some Browns fans were expecting, but it's only yr two. Sometimes QBs have to take a step backwards or sideways and come back more well rounded in year 3. We shall see.

Yeah, losing the last 3 was somewhat predictable, but it also shows that they are not quite there yet as they were not really competitive in either of the road games. The balance of the season doe lighten up some, but I still see struggles ahead in terms of them making the playoffs.

8-8 to 9-7 was my number for them...it's not going to be easy pulling 6 Ws out of the last 9.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

PIT...I felt they needed to sweep this 3 game home stand to have any real chance and I still feel that way, but 2 of the 3, they keep hope alive at 4-5 assuming the loss is the Rams.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bengals have benched Andy Dalton. The new starter will be Ryan Finley - Rookie 4th round pick from NC State.

This most likely signals the end of the Andy Dalton era of Cincinnati football.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AFCN Week 9 recap

BAL…6-2, W vs NE…20-37

Mark Ingram and Lamar Jackson fueled a ground game ate up 37+ mins on the game clock, and 3 TDs. Gus Edwards was effective as well. He got one of the rushing TDs to go with a pair from Jackson. Jackson also threw one and Marlon Humphrey’s scoop and score on a fumble made it a two possession game…NE did cut it down to 4 with a 3Q TD to make it 20-24, but BAL answered with 2 more sustained TD drives to make it no doubt.

Next week…at CIN

PIT…4-4, W vs IND…26-24

The Steelers won on a terrible 43 yd FG miss by one of the most prolific kickers in the game in Adam Vinateri. To his defense (a little bit) the holder failed to spin the laces away from the kicker’s foot…still a bad miss though…for those that chase the little white ball around…it was a true duck hook. Maybe that was karma…the PI call against Steven Nelson that got them to midfield never should’ve been called imo. The 96 yd pick 6 by recent addition FS Minkah Fitzpatrick may not have been the game winner, but it was certainly a game changing play for the Steelers. Weird game…lots of ebb and flow with the turnovers.

Next week…vs LAR

CLE…2-6, L @ DEN…19-24

The Browns have now lost 4 straight games. Every loss hurts, but this one had to sting a little more because the lost to a QB making his 1st NFL start. Brandon Allen, a former 6th round draft pick. In the 1st half CLE controlled the ball between the 20s but could only manage 4 FGs until the 4th Qtr TD.

Meanwhile DEN got two 1st half TDs from Allen. On the long TD to TE Fant, I counted 3 missed tackles. One notable play on CLE’s final drive…they needed 6 to win…into on 4th and 2…they have OBJ one on one…(to be honest I need to look at the play again to see what it looked like presnap)…post snap, OBJ runs a deep route and gets a step or two on his man…if targeted, he likely scores a TD…the target goes short and incomplete. OBJ tells the TV sideline reporter, paraphrasing “can’t get the ball to come my way”. My guess is serious questions are starting to be raised in that locker room about Baker Mayfield and or the OFC in general.

Next week…vs BUF

CIN…0-8, Idle…bye week

The Bengals gained (sorta) without playing a game. With MIA beating the Jets, the Bengals are now the only team without a win and move into 1st place in the 2020 draft position. Another notable for the Bengals. After seeing Andy Dalton for 8 games, 1st yr head coach Zac Taylor is going with Ryan Finley at QB after the bye. We’ll have to see how long he sticks with him.

Next week…vs BAL

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BAL... has the division in a stranglehold that I doubt they ever let up. Very manageable schedule moving forward so they control their fate.

PIT... The LAR game should be a fun measuring stick for this team, but not a necessity by any means. But every week should be viewed as a must win as they trail 2 teams in the wild card race. Weeks 11 through 13 looms very large for this team too. 3 AFCN bouts in a row and they need every single one to be a win. The current formula for success isn't reliable so it will be interesting to see how they develop, if at all. Offensive struggles are the theme every week & time is running out.

CLE... No cohesion, and frustrations are boiling over. I predicted this in the offseason that things were likely to snowball. A lot of polarizing personalities with zero leadership. Not a good makeup for success. They bet on Baker by giving him the HC he wanted, and this is the result. Not a wise decision letting a rookie QB call that shot on an unqualified candidate, even if they had the success to base it on. They can still pull it all together, but its awful gloomy over there by Lake Erie.

CIN... Zac Taylor is essentially beginning his auditions for 2020. The Andy Dalton era is over. If Finley shows promise then do they still draft Tua? Or Chase Young & rebuild the defense? They stand a terrific chance of landing a QB prospect with promise at the top of the 2nd Rd. But Zac Taylor may not be able to pass on Tua. Finley would have to enter the league MVP race to force that decision to be made. In any event, I hope the Bungles do us a surprising solid by finding a way to shock the world this week and beat the Ravens.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PIT -- I watched a fair amount of this game. It seemed that Pittsburgh started slow again, but due to the timely pick 6, the slow start didn't hurt. Pittsburgh is generating turnovers and taking advantage. They're doing exactly what a team without their franchise qb has to do to win. Lots of winnable games for them in the back-half.... They might not catch B-More, but they could definitely be in play for the postseason. BTW -- Indy needs to drop Vinateri. I know the guy is a legend, but he's going to continue costing them games if they let him.

BAL -- Better than I thought. I say the same thing every week. I guess it's surprising to me that a run-dominated team can succeed so well in a league that is so clearly set up for passing. I still remember seeing what that Browns offense did to their defense, so I don't trust them.... But they are turning heads.

CLE -- What a disaster this team has become. They have receivers that worry more about shoes and they have a coach that makes curious decisions in each and every game. I watched a lot of this game yesterday. Cleveland was basically marching up and down the field.... Stalling each time they got in field goal range. Kitchens is supposed to be an offensive coach and he has playmakers across the board.... But they can't get touchdowns? I keep thinking we're going to see a run from this team, but when is it going to start?

CIN -- The team with the worst roster in the division decides to hold all their cards at the trade deadline. For a team that swears it needs to build through the draft, you'd figure they would trade assets in for draft picks. Didn't happen. Finley is a nice story. Apparently a super smart guy. But he was a fourth rounder for a reason. If he's able to generate any offense behind that terrible line, he's worth a look well into the future. I'd say that's a longshot.