• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Around the AFCN

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ravens have a history of finding talent on the D side late or even undrafted that become starters...Bart Scott, Jared Johnson 4th rnd, Adalius Thomas 6th rnd, Paul Kruger 2nd rnd, Arthur Jones 5th rnd, Pernell McPhee 5th rnd and on and on....I hope you aren't that naive as to count on the rnd of draft as the main factor of success or failure in this league, you might want to do a little research and studying to correct that fallacy....
There are as many early round busts as there are late round successes....

The 5 players you list here had a grand average of 10 tackles and 1.2 sacks for their entire rookie year.....

Of course I don't discount rounds. But these days, it's rare for any rookie to make an immediate impact on the defensive side of the ball. And even more rare for a middle round pick.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 5 players you list here had a grand average of 10 tackles and 1.2 sacks for their entire rookie year.....

Of course I don't discount rounds. But these days, it's rare for any rookie to make an immediate impact on the defensive side of the ball. And even more rare for a middle round pick.

No different these days than any, and you should know that sacks aren't all there is to a pass rusher, the object is to pressure the qb into mistakes, sacks are just the icing on the cake.....But you misunderstand my point was not that these guys are gonna take Suggs and Dooms job but be good relief and spot players that will make an impact...They are actually running Correa from MLB position some too, I don't know what they have in mind but he is a player ....Every team has questions going into a new season, but when the reports come out of camp from coaches and players dubbing them as expected impact players, you have to roll with that until proven otherwise...
Cincy has plenty of questions as well....

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always viewed Ozzie as one of the top 3 or 4 in the league, but admittedly I kinda scratched my head on Correa...if he's going to play OLB in this DIV at <250 lbs...better have a lot of dawg in him to hold the edge in run support...they use use him as a spot duty pass rusher early, or when they go hybrid 4 man DL, he will play outside.

@cincygrad...I think the other Boise kid that went to DAL LY had an impact...8 sacks as a rookie and he went 2nd round, but I also see he was popped for PEDs...lol, had a little extra help maybe.

They are moving him around to see where he is best suited and if he needs more beef, they'll pack it on him..

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are moving him around to see where he is best suited and if he needs more beef, they'll pack it on him..

Well, if he's best suited to get after the QB, they will find a spot for him...different scheme but ATL is doing the same thing with Vic Beasley...drafted to get the QB...played DE LY and wasn't quite up to snuff securing the edge in run support playing about 245....this yr he will be an 4-3 OLB, then move up to the edge on 3rd down.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if he's best suited to get after the QB, they will find a spot for him...different scheme but ATL is doing the same thing with Vic Beasley...drafted to get the QB...played DE LY and wasn't quite up to snuff securing the edge in run support playing about 245....this yr he will be an 4-3 OLB, then move up to the edge on 3rd down.

Yea, Martindale is our LB coach, pretty smart guy, has DC experience too and I expect he'll find the best paths to the QB for the kid...Frazier is our secondary coach this yr also and that's a plus, he's zeroing in on more INT's out of them...Man that was almost non existent last season....

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No different these days than any, and you should know that sacks aren't all there is to a pass rusher, the object is to pressure the qb into mistakes, sacks are just the icing on the cake.....But you misunderstand my point was not that these guys are gonna take Suggs and Dooms job but be good relief and spot players that will make an impact...They are actually running Correa from MLB position some too, I don't know what they have in mind but he is a player ....Every team has questions going into a new season, but when the reports come out of camp from coaches and players dubbing them as expected impact players, you have to roll with that until proven otherwise...
Cincy has plenty of questions as well....

They have one. Will they ever win a fucking playoff game?

It's the same group that's been to the playoffs 5 straight years. You can try to argue that receiver is a concern or that Eifert's injury will hurt, but you have to remember that they didn't have either of them two seasons ago. And outside of receiver, the roster is the exact same.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well shit...... I didn't realize how favorable that Baltimore schedule is..... They could really get hot to start the season.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have one. Will they ever win a fucking playoff game?

It's the same group that's been to the playoffs 5 straight years. You can try to argue that receiver is a concern or that Eifert's injury will hurt, but you have to remember that they didn't have either of them two seasons ago. And outside of receiver, the roster is the exact same.

Lost you qb friendly OC too though, and trust me, that makes a difference !!!
Dalton coming off injury is not major but a viable question as well, didn't you lose some D players too ?

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lost you qb friendly OC too though, and trust me, that makes a difference !!!
Dalton coming off injury is not major but a viable question as well, didn't you lose some D players too ?

The coaching change doesn't bother me. They also lost and replaced Gruden several years ago. In fact, they're still running his offense. Zampese has been there for years and I don't expect there will be much drop-off. You know all about this - How many defensive coordinators have the Ravens lost to HC jobs over the years, without any drop-off? If the foundation is there it really doesn't matter much who calls the plays.

The defense lost Reggie Nelson and probably Leon Hall. Nelson has been a great player for us, but he had a good back-up in Sean Williams and the defensive backfield is in good shape. Hall has never been the same after the two achilles injuries.

I'm not very worried about Dalton's injury. It would bother me more if it were ligament damage in his shoulder or elbow. As far as we fans know, it was a basic bone fracture. Bones heal.

For the Bengals, I think their situation is clear..... Almost all the talking heads and current players say they have one of the best rosters in the league. That was repeated several times last year by media types and reaffirmed by the players voting for the top 100 players (where the Bengals are tied with the Broncos for the most in the top 100). The depth is good and the continuity is good. But, they can't shake the very fair criticism that Marvin Lewis does not get his guys to show up in big spots. Until that changes, they'll continue to be a team full of talent and no real results.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The coaching change doesn't bother me. They also lost and replaced Gruden several years ago. In fact, they're still running his offense. Zampese has been there for years and I don't expect there will be much drop-off. You know all about this - How many defensive coordinators have the Ravens lost to HC jobs over the years, without any drop-off? If the foundation is there it really doesn't matter much who calls the plays.

The defense lost Reggie Nelson and probably Leon Hall. Nelson has been a great player for us, but he had a good back-up in Sean Williams and the defensive backfield is in good shape. Hall has never been the same after the two achilles injuries.

I'm not very worried about Dalton's injury. It would bother me more if it were ligament damage in his shoulder or elbow. As far as we fans know, it was a basic bone fracture. Bones heal.

For the Bengals, I think their situation is clear..... Almost all the talking heads and current players say they have one of the best rosters in the league. That was repeated several times last year by media types and reaffirmed by the players voting for the top 100 players (where the Bengals are tied with the Broncos for the most in the top 100). The depth is good and the continuity is good. But, they can't shake the very fair criticism that Marvin Lewis does not get his guys to show up in big spots. Until that changes, they'll continue to be a team full of talent and no real results.

with all due respect, they showed up last years playoffs, lewis lost it by letting that nutcase keep playing

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I understand your views, I just don't agree with them, except for Marvin Lewis, he's not a bad coach, maybe a little too forgiving with unruly players....
We did have drop off with Coordinator changes several times....Last yr was a good example, even though Trestman is a good OC, he had to develop Kubes offense and his together and it took almost the whole season...
Should be better this yr.
Cam to Caldwell the following yr was awful, the D side did pretty well except for Harbs buddy Grandpa Walton, and I don't like Pees bend but don't break as soon as you get a lead theory....But it makes a difference even when it's an inside guy, people do things differently....Too early to tell now, we'll find out soon enough !!

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with all due respect, they showed up last years playoffs, lewis lost it by letting that nutcase keep playing

Meh.... That nutcase was the reason we were winning.

Lewis shares the blame by not having a team ready to respond to the emotions in the moment.... Particularly after saying all week that they wouldn't lose their composure after they did against the same exact team the month before. Players are a reflection of their coach.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand your views, I just don't agree with them, except for Marvin Lewis, he's not a bad coach, maybe a little too forgiving with unruly players....
We did have drop off with Coordinator changes several times....Last yr was a good example, even though Trestman is a good OC, he had to develop Kubes offense and his together and it took almost the whole season...
Should be better this yr.
Cam to Caldwell the following yr was awful, the D side did pretty well except for Harbs buddy Grandpa Walton, and I don't like Pees bend but don't break as soon as you get a lead theory....But it makes a difference even when it's an inside guy, people do things differently....Too early to tell now, we'll find out soon enough !!

I meant the succession of defensive coordinators..... I think the Ravens offense has always been more unsettled with regard to personnel than their defense has. Most of the Ravens bad luck with injuries and draft misses have occurred on that side of the ball.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant the succession of defensive coordinators..... I think the Ravens offense has always been more unsettled with regard to personnel than their defense has. Most of the Ravens bad luck with injuries and draft misses have occurred on that side of the ball.

Well from Marvin to Pees, having guys like Ray Lewis, Reed, McCalister, McCreary, Adams, Ngata, Suggs etc etc, made for a pretty nice ride....Pees has been the only one of all those DC's to be without them all but Suggs and he missed last yr....We have a lot of talent, it's up to the coaches to get their best out of the ones that are coachable

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Very true, but for the 1st time in a while, the Bengals are not set at all positions across the board...couple that with a tougher schedule...Lewis will have to get some young guys in there earlier than in the past imo...Lafell and Tate are stop gaps.

LY wasn't on Lewis imo...the Bengals showed up, it was just a hard fought game between two teams that know each other pretty well...yeah, some might say he should've pulled Burfict and Adams, but the game was chippy from the opening snap and nobody "lost it" until they lost it at the end...hindsight is 20/20.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I support Deebo, and I clearly understand his position...but he's making this about himself over the team.

He had to know the rubber was going to meet the road on this at some point...Goodell is ass hole enough to push this to the brink and that's exactly what he's doing...If he doesn't want to sit down for this stupid ass interview for his teammates, he should not have come back.