• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Arizona wins Defensive team of the year

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And apparently Arizona won it for all of MLB not just the NL.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? Does someone have a DRS chart? I would never even think about the D-backs as the best defensive team.

Their defense was stellar this season. Apparently you don't follow much baseball outside the state of Missouri.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their defense was stellar this season. Apparently you don't follow much baseball outside the state of Missouri.

Not that I don't think they aren't a good defensive team, I just felt that there were better teams out there with the glove.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We won 2 gold gloves second behind the Orioles 3. Don't tell me we don't have defense.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I am the only one, but, I was not aware there was a team defense award.

Learn something new every day....

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona made 10 less errors than KC this season.

Who cares about errors? I care about runs saved, isn't that what a defense is for?

Edit: But in all seriousness, Arizona has the best defensive 1st baseman and Right fielder in baseball according to the fielding bible

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I am the only one, but, I was not aware there was a team defense award.

Learn something new every day....

Apparently the award was initiated last season so this is its second year of existence.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who cares about errors? I care about runs saved, isn't that what a defense is for?

Edit: But in all seriousness, Arizona has the best defensive 1st baseman and Right fielder in baseball according to the fielding bible

I don't know how to follow runs saved. Can you show me a link?

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't all about WINNING though?

:charlie:

:lol:

The reason you won was because of your pitching, specifically Kershaw. Your 250 million dollar payroll doesn't hurt either.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how to follow runs saved. Can you show me a link?

I can show you a link that shows how they do it for each position and in general. Trying to find a chart myself without paying money is annoying me right now though, if someone could point me in the right direction or post it in here, that would be wonderful.

Arizona has excellent defenders no doubt though. Parra was outstanding to my recollection and had over 30 runs saved (Easily GG caliber) if I recall, but retrieving these DRS charts are rather irritating as this turns out, or I just suck at finding things on the internet.

Fielding Bible

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can show you a link that shows how they do it for each position and in general. Trying to find a chart myself without paying money is annoying me right now though, if someone could point me in the right direction or post it in here, that would be wonderful.

Arizona has excellent defenders no doubt though. Parra was outstanding to my recollection and had over 30 runs saved (Easily GG caliber) if I recall, but retrieving these DRS charts are rather irritating as this turns out, or I just suck at finding things on the internet.

Fielding Bible

All these new stats get me confused. I'm more of a traditional fan.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All these new stats get me confused. I'm more of a traditional fan.

Well the problems with using something as errors are that they're too subjective (the official scorer has the say on whether something was a hit or error), and it doesn't address the issue of range.

A quick example is Carlos Gomez vs Jon Jay - Gomez had 5 errors this year while Jay had 1 in a fairly similar # of games and innings, but I don't think there's anyone that would say Jay had a better season defensively. One thing is that Gomez got to a lot more balls than Jay did. Gomez had close to 60 more putouts for example.

So, teams would definitely be willing to have a guy make a few more errors if he can get to a lot more balls. Look at Jeter for example...in recent years he hasn't been making many errors (compared to other shortstops), but is that because he's a good fielder, or because he doesn't have the range to get to a lot of balls that the other guys can get to? I'm willing to have my guy make 5 more errors than the next guy if he can convert 60 more plays than that next guy due to his better range.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the problems with using something as errors are that they're subjective (the official scorer has the say on whether something was a hit or error), and it doesn't address the issue of range.

A quick example is Carlos Gomez vs Jon Jay - Gomez had 5 errors this year while Jay had 1 in a fairly similar # of games and innings, but I don't think there's anyone that would say Jay had a better season defensively. One thing is that Gomez got to a lot more balls than Jay did. Gomez had close to 60 more putouts for example.

So, teams would definitely be willing to have a guy have a few more errors if they can get to a lot more balls. Look at Jeter for example...in recent years he hasn't been making many errors (compared to other guys), but is that because he's a good fielder, or because he doesn't have the range to get to a lot of balls that the other guys can get to?

Exactly why Errors are a horrible way to objectively observe defense as a whole.

btw, I found this, http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/2013.shtmlI am admittedly less than fluent when it comes to defensive stats, but I was surprise this was as close as it was if I am reading this correctly.

Edit: Scroll to the bottom towards the fielding stats and sort it by Rdrs

Edit2: Especially surprised by Arizona, didn't think they would be #2 (and as close as it is at that) but moreso in the #4-#7 range.

Last edited by a moderator: