• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Arizona makes mistake by signing Arroyo

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Insider piece from ESPN's Keith Law. For once I actually agree with him.

mlb_a_arroyo_gb1_576.jpg

"Bronson Arroyo barely made my Top 50 free agents, which meant I saw him as a candidate for a low-dollar, one-year deal, not the substantial two-year deal Arizona just gave him in spite of all of the red flags in his recent history.

Arroyo does two things well: Stay healthy and throw strikes. Those are valuable skills, although one's ability to stay healthy declines with age, and Arroyo just signed for his age-37 and 38 seasons. They're also increasingly overshadowed by the things Arroyo doesn't do well: throw hard, keep the ball in the park or get left-handed hitters out.

Arroyo's fastball averaged just barely higher than 87 mph over the last three seasons, according to Fangraphs, more than 2 mph below his peak years. While some of that is a function of him attempting to throw a sinker, the pitch doesn't have great sinker movement, and he's not a ground ball pitcher. What often happens is Arroyo throws a below-average pitch without much life somewhere in the zone, which a good major-league hitter would politely refer to as a “BP fastball.”

Arroyo has long been homer-prone because he pitches with below-average velocity and doesn't have great movement or sink on whatever we want to call his fastball. While pitching in Cincinnati, one of the majors' most homer-friendly parks, hasn't helped, the reality of Arroyo's recent history is that he's not homer-prone because of Great American Ballpark -- he's homer-prone because he has below-average stuff. Over the last three years, his home run allowed rates have been nearly equal at home and on the road, whether we go by home runs per 9 innings pitched (1.59 at home versus 1.51 on the road) or by home runs per 30 batters faced (1.26 at home, 1.22 on the road). Any further loss of velocity will only exacerbate the issue, and his gopheritis is already one of the worst cases in the majors. This means he’s a few more homers a year away from being nonviable as a major-league starter.

Arroyo has also long had problems with left-handed hitters, another issue that isn't improving with age and that could intensify quickly with any loss of stuff. Over the last three years, lefties have hit .299/.339/.534 against Arroyo, and opposing managers have caught on to this weakness in his game, sending slightly more left-handed batters to the plate against him than right-handers. And it all came without Arroyo facing three of the NL's best left-handed hitters in Votto, Bruce and (in 2013) Choo. At best, Arroyo is vulnerable against teams that lean left-handed or have good pinch-hitting options for the second and third time through the order. At worst, it's a third red flag for guaranteeing Arroyo a second year or this kind of money.

The oddest part about the signing is that the D-backs already had a player a lot like Arroyo last season and gave him away for 50 cents on the dollar: Ian Kennedy. Kennedy was also a homer-prone, fringy-fastball, strike-throwing innings eater type, but didn't have Arroyo's platoon-split issues and will make just $6 million in 2014. IPK did infuriate Arizona management with his makeup, a question that arose when he was still with the Yankees in 2008, something you'll never hear about Arroyo. But is the difference between these two pitchers likely to be $5.75 million over this next year, plus the added risk of Arroyo given his age and stuff? It looks as though the Diamondbacks got more expensive without getting substantially better -- at most about two wins over what they might have gotten from Randall Delgado, less if you assume about half of those starts would have gone to Archie Bradley -- and took on an unnecessary financial risk."

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin towers doesn't make mistakes! This will be pure gold by the end of the season!

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry but Keith Law loses all credibility in this article when he compares Arroyo to Ian Kennedy. There is no way those two guys should even be in the same sentence. Kennedy was a disaster for two years and Arroyo has been a very steady pitcher for his whole career. Plus with Tanaka getting 155 million and never playing in the majors, Garza getting over 50 million for four years, it is not like the D'backs overpaid for Arroyo.

The key to this deal is getting rid of Cahill. I think I have said the D'backs need to get rid of Cahill in every thread on this board so sorry about that. But it is true haha.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry but Keith Law loses all credibility in this article when he compares Arroyo to Ian Kennedy. There is no way those two guys should even be in the same sentence. Kennedy was a disaster for two years and Arroyo has been a very steady pitcher for his whole career. Plus with Tanaka getting 155 million and never playing in the majors, Garza getting over 50 million for four years, it is not like the D'backs overpaid for Arroyo.

The key to this deal is getting rid of Cahill. I think I have said the D'backs need to get rid of Cahill in every thread on this board so sorry about that. But it is true haha.

I am sure it will be said once or twice more before the season begins...

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does anyone listen to Law? He is a notorious Dback & KT hater. I am thinking that he has a vendetta against the organization because they wouldn't hire him when he lived here. The guy goes out of his way to poo-poo any move the Dbacks make. He has no credibility.

They guy thinks he is smarter than he is & that his way of thinking is the only way teams should be ran. He had a cushy "special assistant to the GM" job in Toronto, which was nothing more than a glorified scout for his buddy who liked the smell of each other's farts. He then ran off to ESPN when things weren't panning out as planned in Toronto & has been begging for a head a scouting job with MLB clubs ever since.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Still going with this? At this point I'd take Kennedy over Arroyo anyday.

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still going with this? At this point I'd take Kennedy over Arroyo anyday.

Wow I forgot about this. Honestly, I do not think that Arroyo is actually as bad as he has pitched. I do believe that McCarthy and Cahill are actually as bad as their ERA's though. However, I really do not like Ian Kennedy. I know he is having a decent season for San Diego but he was like a big ball of negativity on the Diamondbacks. He started to get a reputation for throwing at batters and he was out of control. He threw at Puig's face and Greinke's head. The Puig thing I think was an accident but the Greinke one was not. He legitimately threw at Greinke's head and that was totally uncalled for. He should have thrown at his back instead of his head if he wanted to hit him. You can end someone's career that way. I thought that was classless and bush league by Kennedy when he did it. I am happy he is not on the Diamondbacks anymore.

I sure was wrong about overpaying for Arroyo though. His ERA is almost 10 and the team is paying him like almost 12 million a season. He is playing worse than I ever could have imagined.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. I have no reason to go see a Dbacks game this entire season. If Kennedy was here, I might go watch him pitch against the Dodgers. They still have it coming for peeing in our pool and lord knows Cahill and McCarthy aren't going to have the guts to bean someone...and even if they tried, they'd probably miss and hit an innocent child in the stands.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kennedy is cheaper, younger and can eat just as many innings as Arroyo can. I'm not a huge Kennedy fan by any means, but at this point he would've been a better option than Arroyo without a doubt.

I agree Johnson, he was the only one with the balls to strike back at LA. They threw at Miggy THREE times before finally hitting him so he goes and gets revenge on that Greinke bitch. Throwing at him wasn't uncalled for, but if he was trying to hit him in the head (not sure if he was because he really does have bad command) then that's taking it too far.

Either way... a Miley-Skaggs-Kennedy-Bauer rotation sounds a lot better than the pile of dog shit we have right now. KT ruined our rotation.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, totally agree...intentionally throwing at his head I'd never support. But plunking him to leave a bruise...I'm all for that considering their behavior. They still have it coming and should be scared since the D-backs now have nothing to lose. Only problem is they have a bunch of cowardly clowns in the rotation.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator: