• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Arizona Fall League

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arrived last night, went to two games today. The first game was Salt River at Surprise, a truly "bleh" game until the 7th, when the visiting Salt River team scored six runs and won, 7-4.

The nightcap was the Solar Sox at the Scorpions (the team the baby Giants are on). The Scorpions won 2-1.

Kelby Tomlinson played 2B and hit second. He was 0-3 with a walk and a run scored. Not much happened to distinguish him either poorly nor positively in the field. He did steal a base, his second of the AFL.

Blake Miller was the DH and went 0-2

Tyler Mizenko began the 8th and got only two outs, and gave up two hits, two walks, and one run.

Steven Okert pitched the 9th and gave up a leadoff hit, but then pitched very well in getting the save. He throws hard, with some movement. He bounced a few balls, and his control was a little sketchy.

Elias Diaz (C, PIT) has a cannon for an arm. One of the Solar Sox got a running start from 1st before the pitcher threw, and Diaz made the play really close at 2nd.

Addison Russell (SS, CHC) played 2B and had the defensive play of the night, ranging far to his right to stop and ball, and then throw out the runner (Diaz). The stadium, all 497 of us, was buzzing over that play.

The umpires were uneven. The home plate umpire didn't brush off the plate until the 7th inning, by which time it was hard to tell there was a plate!

The Salt River stadium is attempting to use a pitching clock, and some other things to speed the game up. I will not be at Salt River Flats this time around, but a buddy of mine was there last week and spoke to Tony LaRussa and Dave Stewart about it. They seem to be part of the implementation group.

Tomorrow, I will see the Scorpions play at the Cubs' new crib in Mesa, and then drive all the way across the valley for the Glendale (Dodgers and others) play at Surprise.

I hope to see Carbonell play tomorrow. Today, there was no subbing (except for pitchers), and the DH makes that possible.

This is the end of the first week of the AFL schedule. It is a totally different vibe than Spring Training. There are far fewer people. There is only one concession stand open. Lots of scouts, though, and a TON of people carrying around what looks like scrapbooks, but they are books of minor league baseball cards, and they are seeking autographs.

Tickets are $8 ($6 for seniors), there is a $100 family pass good for six people for every game played, and you can sit anywhere you want, except the grassy berms beyond the OF fences, which are being reseeded.

Will try and report back tomorrow.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like true baseball. AA+ competition with HS/JC crowds. Are there any negatives?

You know, I have next week off...

Should I pick up and make an impromptu roady???

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arrived last night, went to two games today. The first game was Salt River at Surprise, a truly "bleh" game until the 7th, when the visiting Salt River team scored six runs and won, 7-4.

The nightcap was the Solar Sox at the Scorpions (the team the baby Giants are on). The Scorpions won 2-1.

Kelby Tomlinson played 2B and hit second. He was 0-3 with a walk and a run scored. Not much happened to distinguish him either poorly nor positively in the field. He did steal a base, his second of the AFL.

Tyler Mizenko began the 8th and got only two outs, and gave up two hits, two walks, and one run.

Steven Okert pitched the 9th and gave up a leadoff hit, but then pitched very well in getting the save. He throws hard, with some movement. He bounced a few balls, and his control was a little sketchy.

Elias Diaz (C, PIT) has a cannon for an arm. One of the Solar Sox got a running start from 1st before the pitcher threw, and Diaz made the play really close at 2nd.

Addison Russell (SS, CHC) played 2B and had the defensive play of the night, ranging far to his right to stop and ball, and then throw out the runner (Diaz). The stadium, all 497 of us, was buzzing over that play.

The umpires were uneven. The home plate umpire didn't brush off the plate until the 7th inning, by which time it was hard to tell there was a plate!

The Salt River stadium is attempting to use a pitching clock, and some other things to speed the game up. I will not be at Salt River Flats this time around, but a buddy of mine was there last week and spoke to Tony LaRussa and Dave Stewart about it. They seem to be part of the implementation group.

Tomorrow, I will see the Scorpions play at the Cubs' new crib in Mesa, and then drive all the way across the valley for the Glendale (Dodgers and others) play at Surprise.

I hope to see Carbonell play tomorrow. Today, there was no subbing (except for pitchers), and the DH makes that possible.

This is the end of the first week of the AFL schedule. It is a totally different vibe than Spring Training. There are far fewer people. There is only one concession stand open. Lots of scouts, though, and a TON of people carrying around what looks like scrapbooks, but they are books of minor league baseball cards, and they are seeking autographs.

Tickets are $8 ($6 for seniors), there is a $100 family pass good for six people for every game played, and you can sit anywhere you want, except the grassy berms beyond the OF fences, which are being reseeded.

Nice report Stokes. Good info.

:suds::clap:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like true baseball. AA+ competition with HS/JC crowds. Are there any negatives?

You know, I have next week off...

Should I pick up and make an impromptu roady???

It is a really interesting mix of AAA and A+ players. Yesterday's pitcher in Surprise had spent some time with the Mariners this year (the only one on that roster who had MLB experience as far as I could tell), and he was dominant. A couple of the A+ relievers threw really hard, but also looked really raw.

Being more of an introvert, I get a little bothered by the autograph seekers. They are trying to get these guys to sign when they are nobodies, so when they become stars in the MLB, their autographs will be worth something. I guess. Most of the players appear to take it in stride and are happy to do it. Some are known as "hard asses" and will sign one autograph a day. One!

I heard a story yesterday about Rusny Castillo, the Cuban who signed with the Red Sox, and who played in Surprise yesterday.

Evidently in the first AFL game he played, he grounded out to the pitcher, so he just jogged to first. The manager was livid, and after the game, Castillo was forced to run several laps around the ballpark (about 1/4 mile around, I would guess). Once he finished his laps, the manager told him that he would sign autographs for every fan lined up along the right field line for as long as it took.

So there are some good stories down here, and people and scouts are pretty friendly and willing to share them.

And hotel rates are about half of what they are during spring training.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Mesa, Carbonell's first ab was a three strike k. Classic ladder: low, middle, high.

Second at bat, first pitch swinging again, but this time launched an Earl Weaver Special towards the Grand Canyon. Very impressive home run. Scorpions lead 7-0 in the 4th.

Third AB was a popup to short.

Fourth AB was a walk, and he scored a run following a couple singles. Another out in the 8th, so a 1-4 game with a three run homer, and scored two runs.

For the fall league, he is 2-17 with three runs scored, two walks, 7 K's. A free swinger.

No chances in the OF that I could remember.

Blackburn pitched on inning, gave up two hits and a run. No walks, no strikeouts. He topped out at 89 mph (via the scoreboard gun), and had some nice breaking pitches around 72 mph. Did not look all that impressive today.

Those were the only Giants to play today.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Have they been implementing the pitch clock?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but only at the Salt River Stadium. None of the other stadiums is using it.

Did it sem to make a difference i the pace of the game? One of my pet peeves is the pitcher wandering around the mound after each pitch and the batter stepping out and adjusting his gloves after each pitch. These at bats seem to last forever.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did it sem to make a difference i the pace of the game? One of my pet peeves is the pitcher wandering around the mound after each pitch and the batter stepping out and adjusting his gloves after each pitch. These at bats seem to last forever.

If this diminishes your enjoyment of the game, you don't love baseball. :2cents:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this diminishes your enjoyment of the game, you don't love baseball. :2cents:

While it is not that simple, I basically agree.

Similar to saying "I love a fine steak, but we got to get rid of all that chewing. Can't we just get to the swallowing already?"

(Alright, kiddies, get your minds out of the gutter...)

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Similar to saying "I love a fine steak, but we got to get rid of all that chewing. Can't we just get to the swallowing already?"

I say that while also admitting that whats-his-name in Colorado is excessively slow and something should be done about him. When Tulo is standing back there basically throwing a fit over how slow a dude is, he's too slow.

If you really love the game, that 30 seconds is spent thinking about what's going on.

Dammit only one more game to go. :bawling:

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ha ha! I get nervous enough watching the at bats without all the extra waiting betwen pitches; especially in a big at bat where the oposition keeps fouling pitches off. It is particularly tough when watching on TV as opposed to being at the game.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say that while also admitting that whats-his-name in Colorado is excessively slow and something should be done about him. When Tulo is standing back there basically throwing a fit over how slow a dude is, he's too slow.

If you really love the game, that 30 seconds is spent thinking about what's going on.

Dammit only one more game to go. :bawling:

The Giants have (had?) one of those snail-pitchers (Gutierrez). Dude is PAINFUL to watch.

There are extremes to just about everything.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha ha! I get nervous enough watching the at bats without all the extra waiting betwen pitches; especially in a big at bat where the oposition keeps fouling pitches off. It is particularly tough when watching on TV as opposed to being at the game.

That's a feature not a bug. The nervousness IS the fun part.

Game 7? Baseball at its best, every pitch matters.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone remember Mike Hargrove, the "Human Rain Delay"? There are Russian novels that are shorter than some of his at bats. Miss the pitching of Big Daddy Rick Rueschel. I don't think he ever went over 2 hours for a game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a feature not a bug. The nervousness IS the fun part.

Game 7? Baseball at its best, every pitch matters.

Agreed. I'd just like to see those pitches come in slightly more rapid intervals.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
remember mark Fidrich (spelling?). going through his routine took forever but it was part of the game and he was a character worth watcvhing. Also the mad hungaryian al B ..... he used tgo wander all over the mound talking to himself

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okert is doing very well in the AZL

8 innings, 4 hits, 1 ER, 1 BB, 10 K, 0.63 ERA

Blackburn is not starting, but used in relief.

7 innings, 7 hits, 3 ER, 0 BB, 6 K, 3.86 ERA

Our hitters are not doing so well.

Carbonell (23 years old)

.205/.244/.282, 1 HR, 5 RBI, 2 BB, 11 K, 39 AB

Blake Miller (was not on my radar) (24 years old)

.188/.278/.219, 0 HR, 3 RBI, 2 BB, 8 K, 32 AB

Kelby Tomlinson (was not on my radar) (24 years old)

.143/.189/.171, 0 HR, 2 RBI, 2 BB, 7 K, 35 AB, 6 SB, 1 CS

One player on the Scorpions that I liked is Roman Quinn, from the Phils. Switch hitter, centerfield, VERY fast, good plate discipline (9 walks, 9 K's), 21 years old.