• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are we shopping Claiborne?

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The New York Daily News reports coach Rex Ryan is "pissed" the Jets couldn't land Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie or another top cornerback in free agency after releasing Antonio Cromartie.

It hints at a potential rift between the Jets' longtime coach and second-year GM John Idzik. Idzik may have to try and lure 30-year-old Cromartie back to New York after striking out on DRC, Walter Thurmond III, Vontae Davis, and Alterraun Verner. There aren't any other desirable starting corners left in free agency that fit Ryan's press-man scheme. Idzik could also look to the trade market. Two names that might available are Dallas' Morris Claiborne and Houston's Johnathan Joseph.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would say that we would listen to any offer as long as it is at minimum a 3rd

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any Football team that doesn't listen to an offer for any player is just hurting themselves. I don't see us trading Claiborne. So we get a 3rd and use that 3rd on a CB that may or may not be able to make an NFL roster? Let's see how the kid does if we change the scheme up a little this year and if he is healthy enough to have a full offseason too. He was hurt a good portion of last year. He has been in the league two years and learned two different schemes without a full offseason to learn. I know that sounds like is a lot of excuses, but I don't want to give up on him yet. You need to throw his draft position out the window. Are we better with him or without him? What if Webb played all of his snaps last year?

I think he and Carr will both be fine this year. You need at least 3 corners and I think our 3 are going to be good. I certainly would like to add a 4th into the mix in this draft for a lot of reasons. First of course being to protect us if Claiborne, Carr or both don't improve off of last year. Second because if we do find another good corner it allows us to cut Carr and his big salary. The third reason is that you must have 3 corners at all times and we saw what happened last year when one of them was hurt. Cover guys and pass rushers are what makes a defense nowadays.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To the OP...I read that article and didn't see anything other than a writer from NY brainstorming about what CBs he thinks may be available. That is a far cry from us "shopping Claiborne", but who knows, maybe we are...

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To the OP...I read that article and didn't see anything other than a writer from NY brainstorming about what CBs he thinks may be available. That is a far cry from us "shopping Claiborne", but who knows, maybe we are...

LOL...........must be the off season on this board where shock value ream's supreme

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with Jarnnt. Teams have to listen to all trade requests. Doesn't mean they pull the trigger. I don't see Claiborne being shopped because I we are too thin at CB as it is.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would say that we would listen to any offer as long as it is at minimum a 3rd

I'd be willing to trade anyone, but it would take more than a 3rd to get me to give up on Mo. Late 1st-early 2nd, if that's too high, thanks for calling...

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be willing to trade anyone, but it would take more than a 3rd to get me to give up on Mo. Late 1st-early 2nd, if that's too high, thanks for calling...

:agree: Getting only a third for Mo would be a major failure especially what we paid to get him. It would also leave a major hole at db especially for a team that needs to be upgraded at that position already.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I certainly hope not. If we trade Claiborne we then have to use whatever pick we get for him to replace him. We won't get any high pick for him, so we would definitely be downgrading skill. Maybe the replacement can be healthier, so it's worth it.

IMO, we don't create another hole for this draft when we already have plenty on defense.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: Getting only a third for Mo would be a major failure especially what we paid to get him. It would also leave a major hole at db especially for a team that needs to be upgraded at that position already.

Yea, we gave up a lot, and I'm believe this kid is going to kill it this year. He is a good kid with a ton of talent. A lot was made of his low wonderlic scores, and while that doesn't mean he isn't a smart guy, it is possible that trying to learn a whole new playbook and style had him a step behind last year. I think he will still be a great player for us

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't create another hole for this draft when we already have plenty on defense.

put it in 10 inch letters

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We would be lucky to get a bag of doritos for him right now

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Claiborne is softer than paper mache. While the team can not afford to lose him this year, due to the glaring holes this defense already has, I would be just fine seeing him gone after this next season. Claiborne has yet to show the ability that made him the #6 pick in the draft. Not one time in his short career has he made a play that makes your jaw drop and say "holy shit, I'm glad we got this guy!". Not once. Even a player playing out of scheme and in over his head will flash premium athletic talent -- if he has it. I don't think Claiborne has "IT". He sure as hell has not shown it yet. This guy is a walking injury, and he doesn't seem to show much heart. No thanks!

Interestingly enough, I posted these same sentiments about Claiborne after game 1 of this past season, and was killed for it. Everyone and there mother was calling me a troll and an alt I.D. for some of the board idiots. And now, well Claiborne has yet to disprove any of what I have said. Then and now.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Claiborne is softer than paper mache. While the team can not afford to lose him this year, due to the glaring holes this defense already has, I would be just fine seeing him gone after this next season. Claiborne has yet to show the ability that made him the #6 pick in the draft. Not one time in his short career has he made a play that makes your jaw drop and say "holy shit, I'm glad we got this guy!". Not once. Even a player playing out of scheme and in over his head will flash premium athletic talent -- if he has it. I don't think Claiborne has "IT". He sure as hell has not shown it yet. This guy is a walking injury, and he doesn't seem to show much heart. No thanks!

Interestingly enough, I posted these same sentiments about Claiborne after game 1 of this past season, and was killed for it. Everyone and there mother was calling me a troll and an alt I.D. for some of the board idiots. And now, well Claiborne has yet to disprove any of what I have said. Then and now.

matters to me what you said after game one last season. It's just your opinion and it carries no more weight than any other opinion stated here. Only thing you have correct is "his short career".

Three years remains the norm before someone should be labeled a bust. Don't pin the star on your chest just yet

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
matters to me what you said after game one last season. It's just your opinion and it carries no more weight than any other opinion stated here. Only thing you have correct is "his short career".

Three years remains the norm before someone should be labeled a bust. Don't pin the star on your chest just yet

to me this is the make-or-break season for Claiborne. i don't think the Cowboys are interested or are looking to trade him but they will do their due diligence and listen to any offers that might come in on him. if some team is willing to break the bank to get him it would be wrong not to listen. i said earlier that at minimum starting with a 3rd round pick + more might get the 'Boys started considering it

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So you say we can't afford to lose him this year, but you are already fine with him being gone after this year? What changes other than Carr may also be on his way out if his play doesn't improve. Shouldn't we wait to see how this year goes for him if we "can't afford to lose him this year"?

As far as being worth the #6 pick, he doesn't EVER have to show that to justify being on the team. All he has to show is we are a better team with him than without him.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you say we can't afford to lose him this year, but you are already fine with him being gone after this year? What changes other than Carr may also be on his way out if his play doesn't improve. Shouldn't we wait to see how this year goes for him if we "can't afford to lose him this year"?

As far as being worth the #6 pick, he doesn't EVER have to show that to justify being on the team. All he has to show is we are a better team with him than without him.

I don't think we should get rid of either corner. Think we improve the DL & get a real safety in the back field, not only will the CBs be much better, the defense might be able to play more press coverage, which is their strengths.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I told everyone that Janoris Jenkins was better than claiborne.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not seeking anyone's approval on this board, so what does and doesn't matter to anyone in regards to my opinion(s) is irrelevant to me. Star on my chest or not. So there you go.

I was not making an "I told you so" post so much as I was noting how the board sentiment is starting to change to much of the same feelings I had in the past. And I pointed out how that line of thinking got me labeled as a troll and some incognito poster. It's interesting to me, the number of posters who are making similar comments nowadays. They must all be trolls!?!

And I am okay with having Claiborne around for another year, not like there is much choice in the organization. I would be ecstatic to be wrong about this guy. I hope he makes 1st team all pro and makes me look like an idiot. But I just don't see it.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not seeking anyone's approval on this board, so what does and doesn't matter to anyone in regards to my opinion(s) is irrelevant to me. Star on my chest or not. So there you go.

I was not making an "I told you so" post so much as I was noting how the board sentiment is starting to change to much of the same feelings I had in the past. And I pointed out how that line of thinking got me labeled as a troll and some incognito poster. It's interesting to me, the number of posters who are making similar comments nowadays. They must all be trolls!?!

And I am okay with having Claiborne around for another year, not like there is much choice in the organization. I would be ecstatic to be wrong about this guy. I hope he makes 1st team all pro and makes me look like an idiot. But I just don't see it.

again....matters to me what people say on this board. I never labeled you a troll. I just find it funny how people come back to say they said something months ago as if anyone remembers....Thus the star on your shirt reference. Arlington Cowboy said when drafted that Claiborne and Carter were busts....now that is remembered.

You guys might have a point after this next season