• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Read if you dare: Lionstop's FA breakdown for the Lions

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James and Riddick would fill too similar of roles in our offense, though. We'd likely have to roll with just 4 WRs if we're going to carry two RBs of that type. Given that both guys can return punts and kicks and also play the slot, there's probably very little difference between a guy like Ross at the 5th WR or James/Riddick as a 5th RB...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LaMichael ? isn't ol Chip Kelley trying to hunt him down, another Duck player to add to his list.

I'm guessing it's Roy Helu...
No, I've already oenly expressed interest in Helu, so he wouldn't be a sleeper. I think Helu is more of a RB3/RB4, whereas my secret guy I think could be more of a RB2 mixed in with Bell as the primary pair.

Sign my super secret guy (it's Antone Smith) and Roy Helu. Draft Gurley, Coleman, Da. Johnson, or Gordon, and roll with 5 RBs and lose Ross... Money. (yet cap-friendly)

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow, I never would have thought of Antoine Smith... good call... but don't you see him as similar to Bell but with a little more shake and bake

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow, I never would have thought of Antoine Smith... good call... but don't you see him as similar to Bell but with a little more shake and bake
No, not at all. He's way smaller, and has crazy burst.

He ran the ball 5 times in 2013 for 145 yards and 2 TDs. That's a 29 yard average. Now most of you, like I did, probably are thinking he must have had a 90 yard run or some shit like that. And then another 65 yarder, or something like that. Nope- his longest run was an even 50 yards. That off of 145 and we're left with 95 yards on 4 carries for 23.75 YPC. His next longest carry couldn't have been more than 50 yards, so take that off of 95 and we've got 3 carries for 45 yards. So he basically ran for at least 15 yards all five times he touched the football that year.

Last year he had 23 carries for 144 yards and a "pedestrian" 6.3 YPC. He also caught 13 passes for 222 yards, a 17.1 yards per catch average, and chipped in 5 TDs, on just 36 touches.

Sign this motherfucker and get him the goddamn football.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically his production over the last two seasons (his only career action besides one carry for -3 yards in 2010) is 28 carries for 289 yards, a 10.3 yard per carry average, and 4 TD on the ground. 15 receptions for 232 yards, a 15.5 yards per catch average, and 3 TDs.

That's 43 offensive touches for 521 yards and 7 TDs, or an average of 12.1 yards every time he gets the ball and a TD every 6.1 times he gets the ball. On a per-touch basis that's pretty staggering. And these are NFL numbers, not college.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You cut a RB in a cap money saving move IMO. Why in the world would then sign a washed up veteran?(Gore/Pierre) The cap savings are gone. Should have just kept fumble fingers then.

Draft a kid and use the money elsewhere. Gurley gets drafted roll with Bell, Riddick and Winn or some UDFA until Gurley is off PUP. He could be the designated IR early return guy also.

IMO if the OL gets upgraded as we all know it is, then Bell will suffice until some rookie learns the ropes.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Helu would be a decent signing as you are not going to waste the savings on some old used garbage there. Although I want a 3 down back. Not sure he fits that mold. Alfred Morris faded after first splash season, and yet Helu never took carries from him. Then that Darrel Young took all the goal line runs. So would we just be signing a better version of Riddick?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I want a 3 down back.

if a RB is going to be drafted this yr, it should be a 3-down, bell-cow back.... not many to choose from in this draft that project well to the NFL, IMO.. can't always rely upon CFB production translating to NFL production. You still have to have an O-Line that create some gaps/holes, even if minimal ones, to run through, IMO

speed of NFL much faster than CFB and holes/gaps much less too than CFB, whether it's RB's or WR's or TE's...

Besides, if we draft a 3-down back, and he's very productive it's really easy to get out of Bell contract, with minimal dead $$$

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^ or Coleman or David Johnson or Langford

the rest of this yrs rb's, aren't much more than change of pace/gimmick backs

David Johnson is and will remain my guy. I used Gurley as he was mentioned earlier in thread. Plug in the the 3 names you stated and my opinion is same just no PUP needed. Day one starters most likely.

It does seem some later round guy makes a splash and then fades quickly next season or two. Morris and Martin come to mind. The true 3 down guys are the early picks.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gandy, do you not agree, minus ACL injury and probably the only thing holding you back right now, that Gurley is head and shoulders above all other 3-down backs. and tbh those 3-down CFB RB's actually can be reduced to (3) that have proven pass-pro, catch out of backfield, blitz pickup awareness; Gurley, David Johnson and Jeremy Langford... Coleman has shown some pass-pro ability, not nearly as much as above three, but Gordon does not have that much experience at all as a 3rd and long rb.

Forget past history of Lions drafting injured players for a minute, just put it aside into imaginary-ville. Would you take the risk of drafting Gurley at #23 (hypothetical he's there for the taking), even if it meant red-shirting him the entire 2015 campaign, all the while thinking this kid could possibly become the next AP like NFL RB, over say waiting and hoping that David Johnson would still be there in 2nd round.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes Gurley is and might still be the best hands down even with the ACL. I am skerd Mayhew drafts him and suddenly it is Broyles partII. so this means he goes to the Vikes and I watch his ass score against us while getting 150 every game. LOL

Gandy's law... Fuck Murphy... If I feel one way it usually ends up the opposite way.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imaginaryville we get Gurley because we traded up and yet they gave us a extra pick and get Irving also.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the above is why I consistently flip flop. Gurley scares the heck out of me, past injured players drafted as shiny new offensive toys, while watching them implode into infamy.

if the following players should out the blue fall, however it may be . I have massive extreme amounts of improbability that most won't be there at #23. but you never know.
#23 1st option.... CB Trae Waynes.... regardless which DT's are signed in FA

#23 2nd option....I'll still stick with DT Brown-Tex 1st, unless Suh + 1 of Mosley or Langford or heaven forbid Fairley is signed... don't want to see Goldman or Davis drafted

#23 3rd option... Scherff, then La'el Collins, then Cameron Irving then Erik Flowers

#23 4th option... Gurley or yep, here it comes, attempt to trade down (Coleman I believe is headed for mid-2nd round at best) Coleman is a favorite of mine along with Gurley, David Johnson

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the above is why I consistently flip flop. Gurley scares the heck out of me, past injured players drafted as shiny new offensive toys, while watching them implode into infamy.

if the following players should out the blue fall, however it may be . I have massive extreme amounts of improbability that most won't be there at #23. but you never know.
#23 1st option.... CB Trae Waynes.... regardless which DT's are signed in FA

#23 2nd option....I'll still stick with DT Brown-Tex 1st, unless Suh + 1 of Mosley or Langford or heaven forbid Fairley is signed... don't want to see Goldman or Davis drafted

#23 3rd option... Scherff, then La'el Collins, then Cameron Irving then Erik Flowers

#23 4th option... Gurley or yep, here it comes, attempt to trade down (Coleman I believe is headed for mid-2nd round at best) Coleman is a favorite of mine along with Gurley, David Johnson

Like your list a lot Would be fine with us taking Tevin at 23 though love his pass blocking and violent north south running style

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bottom line is we should not bother wishing and just take the best player that falls to us at 23. Any of the guys Blue mentioned would be fine. Its what we do after that pick that will determine whether this draft is successful.

Trading down is always a good idea, but it is hard to find teams to trade up, but some team a few spots after us may be hard up for Gurley. We could trade back a few spots and still get 1 of those guys and then use the extra pick for Coleman and not lose a beat after that.