• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are we running the hurry up too much?....

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that I've simmered down a bit after that heinous collapse Sunday night I got to thinking......is running the hurry up offense almost every down hurting us?

I know this is something that Peyton is good at, but do we need to run it seemingly every single play? I completely understand the advantage of not letting the defense sub, but at the same time we're forcing all of our own players to run back and forth, back and forth with no little time to regroup before snaps. There seems to be a break in communication almost every drive, whether it be a route run incorrectly by a WR, or even something as small as the RB taking the handoff on the wrong side. It's these little things that can cost us a down and end up putting us in the 3rd and longs......which we seem to have been facing quite a bit over the past month.

Could this also be a contributing factor to the WR's not getting open? Sure. These guys are having to hurry back every play and I'm sure it wears on them. Especially on 8-10 play drives. I know they're professional athletes and are in prime condition, but that little bit extra fatigue from all the hurry up could be a factor in them not getting a good jump off the line, or even being able to put 100% of their force into their shoves offs on DB's after the snap. The lack of separation from DT and Deck especially is concerning because these guys have the physical build to get off on almost any DB in the league, if they really wanted to.

I'm sure you can surmise the same kind of negative affect on the OL and RB......although maybe not to the same extent, as they'll typically stay closer to the LOS.

Again, I'm not saying we should abandon the no huddle, or anything to that effect, but I just can't help but think that maybe it can do more harm than good sometimes. I think, like everything else the no huddle should be blended into a game plan, and used at opportune times. I don't think it's something that we need to be doing every play of every drive. Just my opinion :thumb:

Glad to hear the Knowshon and DRC injuries are pretty minor. All accounts I've seen say they should be a go this week. Vick might not play, but Sly looked GOOD in the snaps he saw last week, so maybe a coming out party in KC for him? :suds:

Last edited by a moderator:

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so. Also, it is not really a "hurry up" offense like a Chip Kelly thing where they are snapping the ball with 19 seconds on the play clock.

They hurry up to to the line of scrimmage, but that is where Manning does his thing. He is essentially the "sheriff" on the field that Gruden says. He kicks his leg up, waits for the snap, and he sees what the defensive alignment is. He then calls the play based on what their pre snap is.

Sometimes he wants the defense to get out of the alignment they are in, and sometimes he calls based on a sense he gets (how he scouts them on film) on what they will do.

The point is from Sunday is he was rightfully calling run plays. The Pats were showing lock down coverage on the WRs. They were flat out saying we will not allow you to pass the ball up and down. The Pats were saying, if you beat us it will not be because you passing all over us. Now, that theoretically is something every team can do. Well, very few defensive coaches have the audacity to play with a 6 man box the entire game.

BTW, the offense worked. The Broncos ran for close to 300 yards in that game. Think about that. Moreno had the 2nd most yards ever (rushing) in a single game. More yards than TD ever had in a single game.

Just because Manning's stats were not not all that great is not necessarily because he was just off. It was mainly because the Pats simply had things covered. In the end the Broncos offense was very effective.

Anyway, it is not really a hurry up. Often they allow the play clock to run down.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our receivers have other issues than being tired. They play soft. If the defense does not let them do whatever they want, they immediately look to the refs for a flag. Sunday, Gronk was running through defenders and the refs were not calling it, what do you think they will do with a shove at the 6 yard line or a defender getting grabby?

Sorry to divert the conversation a bit.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I should've titled this "no huddle" instead of "hurry up". Still can't say I'd be opposed to them huddling up sometimes though. Especially on crucial downs.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I should've titled this "no huddle" instead of "hurry up". Still can't say I'd be opposed to them huddling up sometimes though. Especially on crucial downs.

No, the no huddle thing is not going anywhere. Might as well bench Manning. That is his game.

Just to reiterate. Most people have no clue (including ex players) what they are really talking about. If you could stomach watching the game on NFL Network (there will be replays) watch the alignment of the Pats. They had 6 in the box. Regardless of the windy, cold conditions, they locked up the WRs. Again, they basically had no respect for the running game. Manning calling for run play after run play was the right call on his part, and it worked. The defense shit the bed in the 2nd half. Due to injuries, or what ever.

Is that Josh McDaniels thinking Moreno lacked something? Pretty good bet. The offense did well, even though Manning's stats were not that great.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our receivers have other issues than being tired. They play soft. If the defense does not let them do whatever they want, they immediately look to the refs for a flag. Sunday, Gronk was running through defenders and the refs were not calling it, what do you think they will do with a shove at the 6 yard line or a defender getting grabby?

Sorry to divert the conversation a bit.

Dead on.:agree:

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, the no huddle thing is not going anywhere. Might as well bench Manning. That is his game.

Just to reiterate. Most people have no clue (including ex players) what they are really talking about. If you could stomach watching the game on NFL Network (there will be replays) watch the alignment of the Pats. They had 6 in the box. Regardless of the windy, cold conditions, they locked up the WRs. Again, they basically had no respect for the running game. Manning calling for run play after run play was the right call on his part, and it worked. The defense shit the bed in the 2nd half. Due to injuries, or what ever.

Is that Josh McDaniels thinking Moreno lacked something? Pretty good bet. The offense did well, even though Manning's stats were not that great.

:agree: