• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are the penguins a favorite to win the Stanley cup now?

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams like the Rangers, Caps, Sharks, Sens, Red Wings, Habs, Ducks, Preds, Coyotes, Canucks, Blues and Devils are either not as good talent wise as the Penguins or they haven't made deep enough runs consistently and have had troubles in the playoffs just as much or even more than them, that's why I have the Penguins fifth, because at least they've been able to get home ice advantage for those playoff series and they've set theirselves up to at least have a better chance than those other teams - some of those teams I listed have been in and out of the playoffs the last four seasons and some of those teams have had just as many failures as Pittsburgh and have just simply not gotten it done in the playoffs

Really, what it's all about is that the Penguins are 5th by default, because those other teams really aren't worthy to be ahead of them since they've done next to nothing in the playoffs the last four playoffs(Devils made Cup Finals but have been out of the playoffs twice also) - maybe one or two of those teams can take a leap at some point, but that's how I look at it

I look at it as a what have you done for me lately - you have to prove to me that you are a legitimate contender - why waste your time saying teams like the Caps, Sharks, Rangers and the Pens are true cup contenders like people have said in the past about those teams, when they haven't proved it - they're not worthy of that consideration until they do it - four years of failures in the playoffs is a long time, I know it sounds harsh but until they prove to me they can do it again, I'm not wasting my time calling them the favorite to win it - if they had won a cup maybe two years ago, I could see people's point, but it's been a little while since winning a cup

I compare this to people who say that Tom Brady and the Pats are favorites to win the Super Bowl every year when it's been almost 9 calendar years since he's won one - why do people continue to say they're the odds on favorites when he hasn't done it in that long? Yeah, he's a tremendous player, and usually, he's not the problem for why they haven't gotten it done(like Crosby), but at the end of the day, they haven't gotten it done in a while, so let's cool it maybe and wait until they do it again to say or feel that they are favorites? That's all I'm saying - I'm not someone who would feel confident in saying they're favorites when they haven't done it in a while, they need to right their wrongs first before me feeling like they can do it

All fair points, I've been plenty critical of the Pens mainly due to poor coaching in the playoffs, but yea I guess the fact they have won in the past, with a similar team, makes me think counting them out is ridiculous, but so is declaring them favorites. Everything about the team is wait and see till the playoffs.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured this thread would be popping up pretty soon.

SURPRISE!!!

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cobie, I understand your arguement, but you're being extremely selective in your "data". By going from the season the Pens last one, of course they've been less successful, because they haven't won SINCE then. I judge success by Cup wins...sooo, they're on the same level as the Bruins and Kings, and behind the Hawks.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just as no one can stand the over-the-top slobbering of the Pens and Crosby in the media, I can't stand the all-or-nothing discussion of the Pens on this board. Anytime a Pens thread gets made here it's "swamp time" or a "pens-flyers-piss-fest" or "figures it would happen". Can't we just discuss the Pens just like the other 29 teams on here?

Yes, most of the core from 2009 is still on this team, but what has been missing since 2009 is the fundamental, puck-possession, defensive-minded yet offensive-pressuring team we saw when they won the cup. I've seen flashes of it in some games, but for some reason they can't or won't sustain it when it really matters.

Last edited by a moderator:

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair Dare, threads about the Pens being the favorites to win the Cup after a couple of months into the Season was a specialty on ESPN.

I don't see anyone else saying their team is a favorite to win the Cup right now.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair Dare, threads about the Pens being the favorites to win the Cup after a couple of months into the Season was a specialty on ESPN.

I don't see anyone else saying their team is a favorite to win the Cup right now.

REPOR...eh, not worth it.

I don't the OP is a Pens fan, nor do I think his intent was to start the current discussion, it just formed this way.

The reason the Pens are picked as favorites is because they're a "sexy" or "easy" pick. If you pick them and they win, YEAY! If you pick them and they don't, it's because of a major failure somewhere along the line. Win win of sorts. Easy pick to win, and if they lose, built in excuses.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point in time, I would welcome people having a similar attitude about the Sabres right now, instead of everyone just agreeing that they suck. :(

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point in time, I would welcome people having a similar attitude about the Sabres right now, instead of everyone just agreeing that they suck. :(

It's easy to be a fan when your team is good. True fans stick by there teams & are hopefully rewarded for the bad teams they had to endure. I hope things get better for you & your brethren.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to be arrogant. I'm spoiled, I know it.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to be arrogant. I'm spoiled, I know it.

Honest quesiton for Pens fans & everyone else.

If all the Penguins win is 1 Stanley Cup with Crosby, Malkin, Kunitz, Neal, Letang & Fleury would it be considered a failure on the part of the organization & the players?

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If all the Penguins win is 1 Stanley Cup with Crosby, Malkin, Kunitz, Neal, Letang & Fleury would it be considered a failure on the part of the organization & the players?

That's a tough one...I mean, when you look back on some of the greats to play the game, and some of the great teams assembled, not all of them have a lot of Cups. But I suppose that's how those teams are forgotten years down the road too. I want another one as a fan obviously, and I think that Sid will be criticized for a LONG time if he doesn't "lead" them to another, because his performance in the '09 Finals was mediocre (when in reality, offensively it was allll the third line in the finals that year). I'll be disappointed if they don't win another with at least Sid and Geno, and I'd be a bit surprised, but I think I still have that win to look back on with a smile. But from the media and the like, it'd be considered a failure, most definitely.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't say failure but disappointing is more like it. When you have that many stars on your team and you don't win, you gotta ask "what more do they need?" Many teams have done more with less. I think with the Pens, it is up to them if they want more cups. They have the talent to beat anyone but can they play consistently during the playoffs? I think more times than not, when the Pens get beat in the playoffs, its not because the other team played great. Its usually because the Pens played like shit and way below potential. Last years Boston series doesn't apply. Pens just straight sucked and Boston was playing great.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would view it as a bitter disapointment. A team with that much talent should have more than 1 cup. However, anything can happen in a 7 game series. Upsets happen every year. Goaltending can be the difference. I wonder if the Penguins don't win the Cup this year if Bylsma will be fired? At some point a change is needed. No coach in the league should have more pressure on him than Bylsma. The GM has done his job time and time again.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pens have a quality team and could easily make a run at the cup. With that said, I still believe the cup comes back to the western conference. The West is a tough conference and only true contenders will survive the brutal season. I would put the hawks, blues and Avs up against any team in the league. Should make for a fun season/playoffs!

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as who is going to win the cup.........in my opinion, I don't care about what team, their history, their past record, division, conference or whatever. Any team that makes the playoffs has a decent shot. Good teams can play bad and bad teams can play great at any moment and things happen in the playoffs. Like Boss said, its a whole new season once the playoffs start. I just don't look into past history too deep because teams change so much from year to year. Playoff experience is the biggest factor when bringing up a team or players past history.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would view it as a bitter disapointment. A team with that much talent should have more than 1 cup. However, anything can happen in a 7 game series. Upsets happen every year. Goaltending can be the difference. I wonder if the Penguins don't win the Cup this year if Bylsma will be fired? At some point a change is needed. No coach in the league should have more pressure on him than Bylsma. The GM has done his job time and time again.

No, he just got a new contract, Pens like him, he does a good job of getting us thru injuries, he will be coaching Team USA in the Olympics, he's gotten the team into the playoffs every year he's coached, and he's won the Cup just as many times as Jack Capuano has gotten the Islanders into the playoffs.

bt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 788.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pens have a quality team and could easily make a run at the cup. With that said, I still believe the cup comes back to the western conference. The West is a tough conference and only true contenders will survive the brutal season. I would put the hawks, blues and Avs up against any team in the league. Should make for a fun season/playoffs!

I so want another shot at the Hawks