• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are the Eagles trying out Foles to be the #1 next year ?

Green Head

Formally Cape May Eagle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know there is allot of talk going on, I really have been busy all day so I have not really heard what is being said today, but my own thoughts today, are the Eagles trying Foles out to the be the #1 next year? IMO I really think the Eagles are getting nervous about handing Carson Wentz a 8-10 year deal for $150 Million and I don’t blame them. They could also be thinking about keeping them both if that is possible. People say Foles is not a starter, but I differ. The Eagles could build around Foles and the Eagles could do allot in the offseason with a Wentz trade and saving all that money. I don’t know, my own crazy thoughts are that the Eagles are weary about giving Wentz a major contract when the guy that won the superbowl is sitting on the bench and could be had for allot less.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a word......NO. To think that Foles would beat out Wentz is laughable. Wetnz is not even 100% and was playing through serious injuries and still a top 10 QB right now.

TheSnowdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see it

The bottom line for me is that Wentz is a better QB than Foles without question

I know this year there were bumps in the road
Wentz at the beginning of the year had increasingly better games week-to-week
A whole conglomeration of reasons - Wentz included - caused a stall in his progress and the team's progress
Wentz has not played well lately - I get it. But I am way comfortable giving Wentz the starting reins over Foles

I will always appreciate Foles for the Super Bowl run last year
But given the starting job for a full season I am not convinced that Foles can perform at a level week in and week out to keep the Eagles as one of the elite teams

Foles and the Eagles Superbowl run last year (and now to a degree Foles' QB play in the Rams game) will be pointed at as a way to say "See - Eagles do not need Wentz"

But last year Wentz was playing at an MVP pace and if he didn't get hurt there is no reason to beleive that his play would have fallen off. I am convinced that if Wentz was the QB through the playoffs Eagles would have won the Superbowl still

The Superbowl was more than just Foles. The offense as a whole was performing like a well oiled machine

I have no issues giving Wetz an 8-10 year $150+ million contract. He is more of a franchise QB than Foles and i'mnot trying to be an apologist for Wentz. Yes - he was still in recovery mode this year and that is partly to blame for some of his bad play but there were also incidneces of bad play this year that was on Wentz injury or no injury.

Anyways, long story short - I still believe in Wentz and still believe he is the best option going forward for the Eagles at QB

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know there is allot of talk going on, I really have been busy all day so I have not really heard what is being said today, but my own thoughts today, are the Eagles trying Foles out to the be the #1 next year? IMO I really think the Eagles are getting nervous about handing Carson Wentz a 8-10 year deal for $150 Million and I don’t blame them. They could also be thinking about keeping them both if that is possible. People say Foles is not a starter, but I differ. The Eagles could build around Foles and the Eagles could do allot in the offseason with a Wentz trade and saving all that money. I don’t know, my own crazy thoughts are that the Eagles are weary about giving Wentz a major contract when the guy that won the superbowl is sitting on the bench and could be had for allot less.

Just a FYI, but when Carson gets signed, it will be over 200M. Likely it will be 250-300Million. Each year that passes by, the price goes up a few million.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a FYI, but when Carson gets signed, it will be over 200M. Likely it will be 250-300Million. Each year that passes by, the price goes up a few million.

Wentz will probably be the first of the new top QB's to get a new contract. Aaron Rodgers is getting $33.5 mil per year. Matt Ryan the previous highest paid QB got $30 mil year. Wentz will probably get $35-37 per year and it probably will be a 5 year deal. His next contract will not be $200 mil. More likely $175-185 mil.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this thread hurts my head.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, he's the perfect backup though in Doug's offense.

We always have a chance because we always have QBs even when one is hurt.

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't Carson in the 3rd of a 4 year contract? If so, don't the Eagles have an option for a 5th year? If so, play to the contract, give Foles more money, and see how it plays out next year. It is important to see if he can make it thru a complete season. In the meantime, pay Foles the big bucks, he has earned it.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No they are going with Wentz for better or worse. All in.

Now, if Foles went back to back, I guess we would need to revisit. But slow your roll on that talk.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't Carson in the 3rd of a 4 year contract? If so, don't the Eagles have an option for a 5th year? If so, play to the contract, give Foles more money, and see how it plays out next year. It is important to see if he can make it thru a complete season. In the meantime, pay Foles the big bucks, he has earned it.

I am a big fan of Nick Foles but there is no way he deserves franchise QB money.

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure that Wentz is the guy. After the Rams trade I am not sure Foles wants to go to a team that is in rebuilding mode. Maybe the Jags or Bucs but who knows. Does he even want to be a starter?

I am sure that we will exercise Wentz's 5th year option and then work a deal out then. So we have next year on his rookie deal still.

Maybe we overpay a little for a back up QB. I would be ok with that. :D :D :D

Darth Dawkins

kffl trev
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said this before but will say it again. Foles has no motivation for money. He will inherit likely hundreds of millions from his parents. He also seems like exactly the kind of guy who has been very smart with what he's earned.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop all the talk of paying Foles more. He already has a choking cap number for next year that something will have to be done with to have any cap flex.

Maybe it will help that he is not money motivated and they can spread that cap hit out over a couple of years and make it more reasonable.

All remains to be seen.

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have an option we can exercise next year so there is no cap hit that I know of. I think we even designed a way out for him too. I just remember reading something about that when they gave him more money.

My guess is that if he decides to stay as the backup all that will be thrown out and a new deal will be put in place.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have an option we can exercise next year so there is no cap hit that I know of. I think we even designed a way out for him too. I just remember reading something about that when they gave him more money.

My guess is that if he decides to stay as the backup all that will be thrown out and a new deal will be put in place.

I just checked and it’s a $20.6M cap hit next year right now. Only $1.8M is dead. That’s the out.

I’m sure if they want to stay together there can easily be a deal worked out. It’s just hard to see why at this point. Weeks from now my mind might be changed.

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just checked and it’s a $20.6M cap hit next year right now. Only $1.8M is dead. That’s the out.

I’m sure if they want to stay together there can easily be a deal worked out. It’s just hard to see why at this point. Weeks from now my mind might be changed.

Yeah, I just remember that i was structure with an option we can exercise and one he can. I just remember them talking about how easy it was for either party to opt out. I could be remembering it wrong too. :D :D

I just want a healthy team next year.