• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are teams/GM's really this stupid?

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no good excuse for what Taylor said and certainly not for what Gilbert did.

Not from a basketball perspective, not from a human being perspective, not from a calculated business perspective. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no good excuse for what Taylor said and certainly not for what Gilbert did.

Not from a basketball perspective, not from a human being perspective, not from a calculated business perspective. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Lebron came back so it really didn't hurt Gilbert much. The fans in Cleveland agreed with him which didn't hurt either. Minny is a completely different situation. How many NBA superstars are there from Minnesota in the league these days?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lebron came back so it really didn't hurt Gilbert much. The fans in Cleveland agreed with him which didn't hurt either. Minny is a completely different situation. How many NBA superstars are there from Minnesota in the league these days?

Outside of Lebron, how many are there from Cleveland? As for whether or not it hurt him. How many FA's was Gilbert able to land during the 4 years Lebron was gone?

Lebron came back because it's what his family/friends wanted and he wanted control of the team that he was never going to get in Miami.

Without his family wanting to go back and Gilbert handing him the keys to the franchise, do you think he'd be back in Cleveland?

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, its easy to think that Gilbert got away with being a complete douche right now, because the sun is currently shining brightly down on the Cavs.

I still think that the first thing every fan and every player (outside of Cleveland) will think of when they hear Gilbert's name is that letter. I don't expect that to change.

Even if the Cavs win some titles with this group, Gilbert's reputation will always be defined first and foremost by how he handled that situation, IMO. At least in the eyes of the general NBA fan and general NBA player.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree on that too. Lebron bailed him out. No one wanted to go to Cleveland

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said all summer that Minnesota needed to do whatever it took to unload Love. The guy has never been to the Playoffs and to me, he just wouldn't be worth the headache. But, at the same time, I also saw the logic in waiting for his contract to expire and not clog up your payroll with some other team's dead salary.

Really, Minnesota was given the best-case scenario. If a talent like Wiggins becomes available, you don't pass that up. Taking on Thad Young's salary does hurt a bit, but he's an underrated player, and most importantly, will help keep a fan base interested in a team that is currently in the midst of the NBA's longest Playoff drought. Minnesota should be competitive in the West this season, but if not, they could always flip Young for more draft picks at the deadline.

As a Nuggets fan, I honestly fear the Timberwolves more now than I did when they had Love. Because now we know they'll be a factor for years to come with a building piece in Wiggins and some solid talent around him to work with.
Since Glen Taylor became the majority owner of the T-wolves (1994) they've made the playoffs 8x in 20yrs. Considering that half the teams in the league make the playoffs, sounds like it's an ownership problem and not a "blame the player" problem.

Also it doesn't help when you draft 3 PG's in one draft alone.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funniest part is Cavs fans mocking the TWolves owner for trashing Love after he left... do we need to remind you what your owner/fans did after 2010?? :L

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since Glen Taylor became the majority owner of the T-wolves (1994) they've made the playoffs 8x in 20yrs. Considering that half the teams in the league make the playoffs, sounds like it's an ownership problem and not a "blame the player" problem.

Even with drafting 3 PGs, they didn't get it right.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mr. Taylor needs a prescription for

978348f21a36e401a6b777c2edbc76bb.jpg

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, its easy to think that Gilbert got away with being a complete douche right now, because the sun is currently shining brightly down on the Cavs.

I still think that the first thing every fan and every player (outside of Cleveland) will think of when they hear Gilbert's name is that letter. I don't expect that to change.

Even if the Cavs win some titles with this group, Gilbert's reputation will always be defined first and foremost by how he handled that situation, IMO. At least in the eyes of the general NBA fan and general NBA player.

Yeah. As long as Lebron is there and he's playing at a high level, players will want to be in Cleveland because it means a shot at a ring. Once Lebron gets old and/or retires, it's likely that the Cavs won't be much of an FA destination anymore.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said all summer that Minnesota needed to do whatever it took to unload Love. The guy has never been to the Playoffs and to me, he just wouldn't be worth the headache. But, at the same time, I also saw the logic in waiting for his contract to expire and not clog up your payroll with some other team's dead salary.

Really, Minnesota was given the best-case scenario. If a talent like Wiggins becomes available, you don't pass that up. Taking on Thad Young's salary does hurt a bit, but he's an underrated player, and most importantly, will help keep a fan base interested in a team that is currently in the midst of the NBA's longest Playoff drought. Minnesota should be competitive in the West this season, but if not, they could always flip Young for more draft picks at the deadline.

As a Nuggets fan, I honestly fear the Timberwolves more now than I did when they had Love. Because now we know they'll be a factor for years to come with a building piece in Wiggins and some solid talent around him to work with.

I agree that Love is not an elite player or one that you build a team around, but name just one player on that that team that made the entire team anything but a lottery bound team. The fact is that since his tenure in Minnie - Love has had no help, so Taylor really should keep his trap shut before slamming players for the problems he caused by making bad choices year after year dating back to trading Kevin Garnett .

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After seeing Kevin Love's full statement, I think he handled it alright. It's not that I think Glen Taylor is a great owner, but at the same time I respect my elders and realize that most these players are about the same age as myself. I just think owners get overly maligned here in the player-driven 2010's.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of Lebron, how many are there from Cleveland? As for whether or not it hurt him. How many FA's was Gilbert able to land during the 4 years Lebron was gone?

Lebron came back because it's what his family/friends wanted and he wanted control of the team that he was never going to get in Miami.

Without his family wanting to go back and Gilbert handing him the keys to the franchise, do you think he'd be back in Cleveland?

Regardless, the fact of the matter is that he did go back. And the Cavs had enough young talent and high draft picks to entice LeBron to come home.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For one, Gilbert was able to land quality role players Jarrett Jack and C.J. Miles while LeBron was gone. I know some of you are infatuated with superstars, but you can't say that's nothing.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And again, Love was not the exception to those woes...