• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This offseason (not the last) shows Pace is legit

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Straight away: i think this offseason (so far) is better than the last one (or at least more encouraging for the long-term), all things considered. Last year was Pace's big cap space year, to completely re-make the roster and add a bunch of talent in a hurry to a roster lacking it. He did a great job of that obviously, other than Parkey.

Now, Pace is in a spot that makes or breaks GMs: when your team is good, you don't have a ton of cap space to sign whatever free agents you want and you're losing players and coaches to big contracts. I've been dying to see a Bears GM use free agency properly: short-term deals to fill holes, while drafting well to build up the core of your team. From that standpoint, Pace has passed with flying colors this year.
  • Replaced Adrian Amos with Haha Clinton-Dix for almsot 1/3 of the cost of what Amos got with no long-term commitment. Clinton-Dix is a talented dude so we may not even skip a beat here.
  • Replaced Bryce Callahan with Buster Skrine. Skrine is older but a tough veteran, but more important, has a great record of health, and is costing almost $2 mil less per season than Callahan got.
  • Replaced Jordan Howard with Mike Davis and a 6th (possibly 5th) round pick. Not a direct trade obviously but basically what it shakes out to for all intents and purposes. Mike Davis is a solid rotational back, offers more in the passing game, and most important, isn't reason enough to not draft a guy who can be your Kareem Hunt.
  • Replaced Josh Bellamy with Cordarrelle Patterson. This is a little foggier, but we all know Patterson is a much better kick returner while Bellamy was a special teams ace. This is a lateral move o special teams perhaps but Patterson offers more intriguing potential offensively.
  • Replaced Eric Kush with Ted Larsen. Meh, other than to say Larsen is more of a veteran which is good to have backing up the main guys.
Pace deserves credit for not trying to replace guys that don't need replacing, like Kevin White. Javon Wims is waiting in the wings, for example. Same thing with Sam Acho/Aaron Lynch when we've got Irving and Fitts with some potential.

The biggest thing yet to be mentioned is comp picks. Losing high value players and not replacing them directly gives you picks. Right now, we're on track to have the following picks in next year's draft:
  • 2nd rd pick
  • 2nd rd pick from Raiders
  • 4th rd pick
  • 4th rd pick - comp pick for Amos
  • 5th rd pick
  • 5th rd pick (conditional from Raiders)
  • 5th rd pick (comp pick for Callahan possibly)
  • 6th rd pick
  • 6th rd pick (Eagles - possibly a 5th based on performance)
  • 7th rd pick
Considering Pace's draft history, that's 10 picks to continue to refill the roster with cheap, young talent when we'll possibly be needing to be replacing guys like like Kyle Long, Danny Trevathan, Prince Amukamara, Mike Davis, Adam Shaheen and Taylor Gabriel.

We're lucky to have him, IMO, and things are finally looking up for the Bears in the long-term, not just clinging to a moment of hope thanks to some splashy free agent moves that tries to band aid the gaping wound of not having talent throughout the roster.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with most.
Still don't view Davis as Howard's replacement. Davis stepped up when Seattle needed help at RB, but even they didn't view him as a long term answer. And the guy gets hurt, hasn't played a full season in a limited role.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with most.
Still don't view Davis as Howard's replacement. Davis stepped up when Seattle needed help at RB, but even they didn't view him as a long term answer. And the guy gets hurt, hasn't played a full season in a limited role.
Obviously Howard wasn't viewed as a long-term solution either, so yea, Davis really is a Howard replacement from a roster standpoint anyway. I'm hoping we draft the next Alvin Kamara/Kareem Hunt in the 3rd which makes Davis just a guy.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have an every day back, his name is Tarik Cohen. We'll draft a RB for sure but to say we don't have an every day back is like saying Howard was a good RB--which basically was everybody on this board except for the genius, so, figures.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have an every day back, his name is Tarik Cohen. We'll draft a RB for sure but to say we don't have an every day back is like saying Howard was a good RB--which basically was everybody on this board except for the genius, so, figures.
Not sure what you mean by every day back. If you mean Tarik should play a consistent, prominent role in the offense, I could not agree more, I said numerous times last season that Nagy wasn't utilizing him enough. But if you're implying that he's a primary RB who should be given the bulk of the carries on a regular basis, keep dreaming.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

what the fuck is an "every day" back? you mean "every down"? Because if that's what you meant, I laugh. I laugh hard at you.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not one person have given me a valid argument why Cohen can't be an every down back.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not one person has given me a valid argument why Cohen CAN be an every down back.

Well for starters he's done it at every level he's played in!

He's been a successful, dynamic, playmaking RB at the NFL level. He's a pro bowler. Led our team in combined yardage averaging 4.5ypc and caught for 725 yards. In college he's rushed for 1100+, 1300+, 1500+, 1500+ yards and carried the ball 200 times per year.

What about these statistics say he can't carry more in the NFL? Only common senseless dimwhits who thought Howard was good would think Cohen can't carry additional load.

Now your turn. Why can't he be an every down back? I'm all ears.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not one person have given me a valid argument why Cohen can't be an every down back.
I like Cohen.
But he seems to be a guy that either has to run 10 yards toward the sideline or reverse direction BEFORE he turns up upfield. He certainly runs a lot before he gains positive yardage. Half the time it bites him.

As an every down back, he'd be winded by the 4th quarter if he doesn't turn it up field sooner.

Last edited:

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well for starters he's done it at every level he's played in!

He's been a successful, dynamic, playmaking RB at the NFL level. He's a pro bowler. Led our team in combined yardage averaging 4.5ypc and caught for 725 yards. In college he's rushed for 1100+, 1300+, 1500+, 1500+ yards and carried the ball 200 times per year.

What about these statistics say he can't carry more in the NFL? Only common senseless dimwhits who thought Howard was good would think Cohen can't carry additional load.

Now your turn. Why can't he be an every down back? I'm all ears.
BS, those were small school, small program college stats. He's in the big leagues now, with defenders who are faster on defense than most of his college teammates were on offense. How many times have we pointed out in here that he too often tries to run around the edge or makes too many jigs and jukes to slip past his defenders, only to be caught behind the line of scrimmage or at best a minimal gain. Don't you think if Nagy & Pace even thought for a moment that he could be the primary, ball carrying back that they wouldn't have gone after Davis - and quite possibly take another RB in this upcoming draft? Look, I'm a big Cohen fan, have said so since the day I joined this forum. Yet i'm also a realist. He's perhaps the ultimate gadget player, but he's not a primary running back.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BS, those were small school, small program college stats. He's in the big leagues now, with defenders who are faster on defense than most of his college teammates were on offense. How many times have we pointed out in here that he too often tries to run around the edge or makes too many jigs and jukes to slip past his defenders, only to be caught behind the line of scrimmage or at best a minimal gain. Don't you think if Nagy & Pace even thought for a moment that he could be the primary, ball carrying back that they wouldn't have gone after Davis - and quite possibly take another RB in this upcoming draft? Look, I'm a big Cohen fan, have said so since the day I joined this forum. Yet i'm also a realist. He's perhaps the ultimate gadget player, but he's not a primary running back.

My bullshit meter is going off again.

It's not like he's never rushed in the NFL before. Every time he's given a chance to run at this level, he averages 4.5 ypc. He played in a small school and was successful, so far he's been successful in the NFL. Your juking arguments are lame. They said the same thing about Barry Sanders. That's how Cohen runs and his 4.5ypc shows that's how he should run. If he ran north/south he wouldn't be successful at this level. You like everyone else is using the Jordan Howard template in grading Cohen. Cohen would be the worst RB in the league if he ran like you think he should run.

I have yet to here a good argument why he can't be an every down runner. Why? Because he's not built like Jordan Howard? Good riddance to that overrated joker.

Is the primary argument because Cohen is too small? Will somebody just say it? What is the argument? Pardon me for being skeptical but all you morons don't know the RB position at all evidenced by your love for Jordan Howard all these years.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Cohen. But he seems to be a guy that either has to run 10 yards toward the sideline or reverse direction BEFORE he turns up upfield.

Exactly, he "seems to be" to YOU. And you don't have a clue on how to judge a RB. So coming from YOU, doesn't carry much water does it?

He certainly runs a lot before he gains positive yardage. Half the time it bites him.

Because that's the kind of runner he is. He's not Jordan Howard. Cohen is a playmaker that makes guys miss with his speed. Therefore that's how he should run.

For Bear fans, who've enjoyed a rich history of great running backs, boy are you guys idiots on judging the position.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not like he's never rushed in the NFL before. Every time he's given a chance to run at this level, he averages 4.5 ypc. He played in a small school and was successful, so far he's been successful in the NFL. Your juking arguments are lame. They said the same thing about Barry Sanders. That's how Cohen runs and his 4.5ypc shows that's how he should run. If he ran north/south he wouldn't be successful at this level. You like everyone else is using the Jordan Howard template in grading Cohen. Cohen would be the worst RB in the league if he ran like you think he should run.

I have yet to here a good argument why he can't be an every down runner. Why? Because he's not built like Jordan Howard? Good riddance to that overrated joker.

Is the primary argument because Cohen is too small? Will somebody just say it? What is the argument? Pardon me for being skeptical but all you morons don't know the RB position at all evidenced by your love for Jordan Howard all these years.
Well I've given all I have on the subject, if that's not good enough, then so be it. I'll say it one last time, I really like Cohen, but he's not a primary, full load running back. If by chance he ever becomes such, I'll be more than happy to admit I was wrong.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I've given all I have on the subject, if that's not good enough, then so be it. I'll say it one last time, I really like Cohen, but he's not a primary, full load running back. If by chance he ever becomes such, I'll be more than happy to admit I was wrong.

Your lame arguments why Cohen can't be an every down back so far:
1. He jukes too much
2. Nagy/Pace got Davis
3. Will take a RB in the draft

1. I already showed why this is lame.
2. Nagy/Pace also subtracted a RB so does that mean they agree with me then?
3. Hasn't happened yet.

Exactly. So in the end, you don't have a good reason. Your reason is basically "because that's what i think". And I've already proven my RB gauge is a lot more accurate than any else's in here.

End of thread.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
End of thread.

Well, yeah......but I think you first kinda gotta convince Nagy that Tarik is the starting RB and will take the bulk of the carries this season. I think that would officially close it.

Not sayin, just sayin.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let's focus on L.A.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if Howard has more rushing yards this season than Cohen, I think BS should have to change his avatar to the Nic Cage Einstein picture for a calendar year. lel
ANDREWBROWNnicolai.jpg

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Says the guy who thinks "Nagy should be fired if Howard isn't successful in his offense".

You have no credibility in this argument dummy.