• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AP source: MLB owners approve proposal to start 82-game season in July

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's annoying.

We'd all play for free, for like a week. Maybe two.

They moved on money once, willingly and in good faith. Sometimes a buissness has to take a hit to make payroll. This is one of those times. Or MLBs death speeds up.

its more than that... I get factory owners don't care about their workers because of the replacement value...

But scabs just don't work in baseball... I mean, there are independent leagues, like the Atlantic League of Profesional baseball, and then there is the minor leagues and college baseball... None of those leagues do anywhere as good as the MLB... and with baseball being a dying sport, why would you ever think it is a good idea to throw in an inferior product???

with that logic, and the fact that the players are taking ALL the risk in this, and their families are sacrificing more than ever before... you have to let the players win the negotiation... It just boggles my mind how this is not obvious to all...

the biggest problem though, is that now that players are being paid so much, they don't NEED the money the same way the average Joe does... they can fight principle...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its more than that... I get factory owners don't care about their workers because of the replacement value...

But scabs just don't work in baseball... I mean, there are independent leagues, like the Atlantic League of Profesional baseball, and then there is the minor leagues and college baseball... None of those leagues do anywhere as good as the MLB... and with baseball being a dying sport, why would you ever think it is a good idea to throw in an inferior product???

with that logic, and the fact that the players are taking ALL the risk in this, and their families are sacrificing more than ever before... you have to let the players win the negotiation... It just boggles my mind how this is not obvious to all...

the biggest problem though, is that now that players are being paid so much, they don't NEED the money the same way the average Joe does... they can fight principle...

You make a good point, but what we're talking about is sports entertainment.

Sure...for 100+ yrs we've had major league baseball...the best of the professionals.

But in Jackson MS, and Memphis, and other minor league towns...people went to pro baseball games and were entertained. I agree, if you lived in a big league town and saw that standard...it would be tough to watch lessor players, perform, but at some point...you want to see some live baseball.

To be honest...it's been so long since I went to a MLB game that I would be just as entertained to watch the Gwinnett Braves as I would the Atlanta Braves.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the players proposed a 114 game season...largely to collect a prorated 62% of their salaries.

This one is pretty simple to me.

After the players/owners made a pandemic adjustment to the season back in March...that agreement either allowed another adjustment because fans were not going to be a part of the equation...or it did not.

If it did not...the owners need to stick with the agreement...they should have thought about that possibility...they were in the midst of the pandemic in March. If it does allow...the players need to suck it and play ball.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the players proposed a 114 game season...largely to collect a prorated 62% of their salaries.

This one is pretty simple to me.

After the players/owners made a pandemic adjustment to the season back in March...that agreement either allowed another adjustment because fans were not going to be a part of the equation...or it did not.

If it did not...the owners need to stick with the agreement...they should have thought about that possibility...they were in the midst of the pandemic in March. If it does allow...the players need to suck it and play ball.

They already did the owners a favor once. They did not have to. They had a deal that runs thru the end of the 2021 season. The owners are obligated to fulfill that.

Scabs aren't even an option

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They already did the owners a favor once. They did not have to. They had a deal that runs thru the end of the 2021 season. The owners are obligated to fulfill that.

Scabs aren't even an option

So what you're saying is the players willingly agreed to a prorated salary in March due to covid-19 and this deal did not allow for the owners to come back to the table if no fans were going to be allowed.

If they don't play this season...MLB will lose more fans...and the people that rely on MLB for modest income get screwed....I wouldn't care if scabs played.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what you're saying is the players willingly agreed to a prorated salary in March due to covid-19 and this deal did not allow for the owners to come back to the table if no fans were going to be allowed.

If they don't play this season...MLB will lose more fans...and the people that rely on MLB for modest income get screwed....I wouldn't care if scabs played.
They didn't have to budge in March. They did because it was the right thing to do. The CBA runs thru end of season 2021. Their deals are guaranteed.

You won't watch scabs play, because scabs aren't going to play. You'll watch MLB guys at the rate they want or you'll watch Korean baseball at 5 am. Lol

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't have to budge in March. They did because it was the right thing to do. The CBA runs thru end of season 2021. Their deals are guaranteed.

You won't watch scabs play, because scabs aren't going to play. You'll watch MLB guys at the rate they want or you'll watch Korean baseball at 5 am. Lol

A regular baseball season seemed doomed a long time ago so I think the players made this deal to get a season going, moreso than being the right thing to do.

But according to you, it sounds like the owners made bad deal when the players gave them an opportunity for a Covid-19 adjusted season...my guess is they probably never even considered games w/o fans.

Unless the owners agree to 114 games or they come back with something quick the players can agree to...It's starting to look like a year with no MLB.

And yes...I will be content with Korean baseball...just not at 5AM...lol

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree... People just look at these players and say they are being paid to play a kids game... and they don't care that its the owners that need to compromise... not the players...

The owners need to open their books

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 50 gm season would be bad ass but no chance the players agree to it

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll tell you the rest of the story....

The owners open their books and the players refuse to believe the numbers. Cooking the books and such.

I get that but it's at least a step in the right direction.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if the players don't believe the numbers they're looking at, it isn't.

Then they have no relationship. So once again that's the difference in baseball and the other major sports.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB and NBA need to get their shit together and figure it out. They've dragged this out far too long and even when they come to an agreement, it's going to take them a while to actually get re-started. It's stupid.

Most everywhere in the country is back to eating together in restaurants, drinking together in bars, and going to gyms together. Surely these leagues can figure out how a handful of athletes can get together a play a fucking game.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Travis Sawchik of FiveThirtyEight reports that a potential 50-game MLB season is not acceptable to players.
It should be said that a 50-game regular season hasn't been formally proposed, but it has been floated as a possibility. The issue for the players is a financial one. While this newest concept would include full prorated pay, the bottom line doesn't really change. Sawchik writes that the first proposal would give players about 31 percent of 2020 pay and this new idea would give them just about the same. The players opened the door to some flexibility with the idea of deferrals, so there's certainly some room for negotiation. Odds are if there's a season, middle ground will be found between the concept of 50-60 regular season games or the players' proposal of 114 games. Still, Sawchik notes that the players will be "done" talking if the owners don't come to the table with an official counter-proposal.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The owners need to open their books

Why? In theory that is true but it is sports. There is no way to boycott the owners without punishing the players. They should’ve taken the shitty deal proposed and made it known that it was a shitty deal and they were playing for the fans in every interview possible. But the MLBPA is and has always been retarded when it comes to PR.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? In theory that is true but it is sports. There is no way to boycott the owners without punishing the players. They should’ve taken the shitty deal proposed and made it known that it was a shitty deal and they were playing for the fans in every interview possible. But the MLBPA is and has always been retarded when it comes to PR.

The optics on this are terrible.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The optics on this are terrible.

Without question. And truly it is for both, but the MLBPA needs to realize just like 94, they may have the moral high ground but there is no scenario where they do not lose. People tuning out because they are pissed off at the owners will cost them money. The optics are terrible and had they just sucked it up with the terrible deal and reinforced in every interview it is for the fans, they would’ve built up equity with sports fans if they choose to strike in 2021. Owners have no goodwill in any sport but the PA has lost any goodwill just as 94 but sports are different now since baseball is no longer either number 1 or number 2 in major sports.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope.

No way anyone should accept the cuts they were offered.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope.

No way anyone should accept the cuts they were offered.

I don’t disagree they shouldn’t. But they also shouldn’t accept the fact they will be getting a salary cap in 2021 otherwise they can kiss their sport goodbye.