• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anyone still follow college basketball?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a definitely a difference TO ME as a fan between seeing Jordan and Pippen evolve as players and lose first, and just have multiple NBA MVPs plopped into your lap.

Not those fans cannot enjoy it. But there's a difference. I know you get my point.

This, I agree with. As @tlance pointed out, the superteams developed more organically back then. So we watched teams develop and learn. Now, a team can be terrible one year and contenders the next just by what players want to go play for them. If, for example, Lebron doesn't pick the Lakers, they're basically the Pelicans instead of celebrating a title.

Personally, I don't mind the way it's done now, because I like the players having more freedom. But I preferred the way it used to be done.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This, I agree with. As @tlance pointed out, the superteams developed more organically back then. So we watched teams develop and learn. Now, a team can be terrible one year and contenders the next just by what players want to go play for them. If, for example, Lebron doesn't pick the Lakers, they're basically the Pelicans instead of celebrating a title.

Personally, I don't mind the way it's done now, because I like the players having more freedom. But I preferred the way it used to be done.
Guess cannot really be picky here but no question I'd have rather seen the late 80s/early 90s Cavs win a title than the one who did.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonzaga is the favorite but they aren't the overwhelming favorite that the casual fan thinks they are. They have vulnerabilities and will have some tough games once they reach the elite 8. Baylor looked more like the Baylor we saw throughout the year during the first two rounds. They are the 2nd most likely team to win it IMO.

My sleeper team is Florida State. They have the size, athleticism and have played elite basketball at both ends during the season. They just haven't played consistently well at both ends at the same time. If they start clicking, they could win this thing.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonzaga is the favorite but they aren't the overwhelming favorite that the casual fan thinks they are. They have vulnerabilities and will have some tough games once they reach the elite 8. Baylor looked more like the Baylor we saw throughout the year during the first two rounds. They are the 2nd most likely team to win it IMO.

My sleeper team is Florida State. They have the size, athleticism and have played elite basketball at both ends during the season. They just haven't played consistently well at both ends at the same time. If they start clicking, they could win this thing.

Gonzaga is as good as any college team we have seen in the 1 and done era. They have everything.

They can still be beaten on any given night, but they deserve to prohibitive favorites.

It will take a super athletic team like Baylor playing a complete game to beat Gonzaga.

The only real concern I have with Gonzaga is that they just don’t have experience playing close games. How will they respond in tense moments of a close tournament game?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonzaga is as good as any college team we have seen in the 1 and done era. They have everything.

They can still be beaten on any given night, but they deserve to be prohibitive favorites.

It will take a super athletic team like Baylor playing a complete game to beat Gonzaga.

Really hoping they win. They deserve it. Mark Few turned that school into a basketball powerhouse year in and year out while remaining loyal. A title for them is only right

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They can still be beaten on any given night, but they deserve to prohibitive favorites.

The only real concern I have with Gonzaga is that they just don’t have experience playing close games. How will they respond in tense moments of a close tournament game?

I think USCs length is going to give them problems. USC is just going to need their role players to hit perimeter shots and they have a good shot at beating Gonzaga

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think USCs length is going to give them problems. USC is just going to need their role players to hit perimeter shots and they have a good shot at beating Gonzaga

Not totally impossible, but I highly doubt it.

Gonzaga is long too. And extremely skilled.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We'll see. It will be fun to watch. Gonzaga hasn't played a defense this good all season. They are going to make things tough on the Zags. There are two keys in my mind:

1) How does USC contain Suggs? The Mobley brothers will prevent Gonzaga from getting anything easy inside but they don't have any guard that's the caliber of Suggs. If he gets going, particularly from the outside, that will make it tough for USC.

2) How do some of the roll players for USC shoot the ball? They hit the 3 ball at an insane rate vs. Oregon and Kansas. If they can do that again, Gonzaga will be in trouble.

Knowing my luck, however, I'll watch those same guys who couldn't miss yesterday not hit the broad side of a barn vs. Gonzaga

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I doubt USC wins either. But, as @Duckboy33 said, should be a fun game.

USC will likely be the best defense Gonzaga has seen all season. But Gonzaga will likely be the best offense USC has seen all season.

USC can be fairly streaky on offense and I think that will ultimately cost them the game. Even last night, putting up 82 points, they had a stretch of about 5 minutes where they didn't score. They got away with it because they had a 20 point lead when it started. A stretch like that against Gonzaga would be deadly.

Personally, I'm just happy to see them make it this far. Before the season, I didn't even think they'd make the tournament. They had 3 returning players and basically built the roster over the summer. They were picked to finish 6th in the PAC.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My god if Gonzaga doesn't win it this year I just don't know if they will ever win. There are no super power house teams left that have great one and done NBA players. They are all the way to the elite 8 and the highest seeded team they have faces is a #5 seed I believe. For the love of god can they not be a laughing joke of being known as the team that plays in and easy conference and gets bounced in the tournament every year.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

USC will likely be the best defense Gonzaga has seen all season. But Gonzaga will likely be the best offense USC has seen all season.

USC can be fairly streaky on offense and I think that will ultimately cost them the game. Even last night, putting up 82 points, they had a stretch of about 5 minutes where they didn't score. They got away with it because they had a 20 point lead when it started. A stretch like that against Gonzaga would be deadly.

Personally, I'm just happy to see them make it this far. Before the season, I didn't even think they'd make the tournament. They had 3 returning players and basically built the roster over the summer. They were picked to finish 6th in the PAC.
Tell the truth, we’re you able to type Duckboy without cracking up?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell the truth, we’re you able to type Duckboy without cracking up?

Yes. But only because I've been posting with him for awhile in the cfb forum, so I'm used to seeing it. lol

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My god if Gonzaga doesn't win it this year I just don't know if they will ever win. There are no super power house teams left that have great one and done NBA players. They are all the way to the elite 8 and the highest seeded team they have faces is a #5 seed I believe. For the love of god can they not be a laughing joke of being known as the team that plays in and easy conference and gets bounced in the tournament every year.

I don't think folks view them like that. I think most consider them a real college basketball powerhouse. The nature of the tournament makes winning it really difficult. One off game, one lucky shot, one guy on the opposing team having the game of his life and you're out.

Having said that, I think the one thing that can hurt them re: their conference is that they really don't play many close games. I don't think they had a team get closer than 10 points this year. So, if they end up in a close game, we don't know how they'll react.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think I saw somewhere on twitter that Gonzaga is the #1 2 point % offense while USC is the #1 2 point % defense. I didn't see the numbers but I believe it. Should be fun

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see. It will be fun to watch. Gonzaga hasn't played a defense this good all season. They are going to make things tough on the Zags. There are two keys in my mind:

1) How does USC contain Suggs? The Mobley brothers will prevent Gonzaga from getting anything easy inside but they don't have any guard that's the caliber of Suggs. If he gets going, particularly from the outside, that will make it tough for USC.

2) How do some of the roll players for USC shoot the ball? They hit the 3 ball at an insane rate vs. Oregon and Kansas. If they can do that again, Gonzaga will be in trouble.

Knowing my luck, however, I'll watch those same guys who couldn't miss yesterday not hit the broad side of a barn vs. Gonzaga

I agree with your analysis, I just think that Gonzaga’s offense is next level. They spread the floor with shooters and are great passing and cutting.

Containing Suggs is easier said than done, but even if they can contain him, Gonzaga has like 6 other dudes who can beat you. Which means that you either have to contain him 1 on 1, or know that everyone else is going to go off when you start over-helping.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's interesting that the one-and-done prospect teams didn't fare well considering many are praising the upcoming draft's talent level. The oddity of this season, the start/stop nature, and limited practices really hurt those teams ultimately more than those that already had a lot of returning starters and chemistry.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's interesting that the one-and-done prospect teams didn't fare well considering many are praising the upcoming draft's talent level. The oddity of this season, the start/stop nature, and limited practices really hurt those teams ultimately more than those that already had a lot of returning starters and chemistry.

That's what makes what USC is doing so surprising, imo. They had 3 returning players. They basically put this team together over the summer with some schollies and transfer portal guys.

To be fair, they got older players through the portal, but it was still mostly a brand new team.